Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yup originally it was going to be put in place for Walt's 100th birthday, be a bit larger but more temporary, contain One Man's Dream inside, and have ferris wheels in the 'ears'. It would be situated where the bag check is now, outside the front of the park, as a temporary exhibit.

3225.dhs_2D00_guide_2D00_2_2D00_hat.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

So why the change? somebody go cheap on us? would that be Eisner? that design makes sense....

BrerJon

So why the change? somebody go cheap on us? would that be Eisner? that design makes sense....

Probably budget cuts, but remember One Man's Dream became permanent, so it's quite possible that as they developed the concept they decided the museum was good enough to stay, but the hat element could just be temporary, and nobody really needed the wheels. Of course it wasn't temporary, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention at the time.

FettFan

I'm no legal expert, but I think it all comes down to how far one side or the other wants to push the definition of "family".

1. Avengers Family
2. Spider-Man Family
3. X-Men Family
4. Fantastic Four Family
5. Marvel Cosmic Family

The first four are represented at Universal's Marvel Superhero Island....but Marvel Cosmic is not. The closest they have is Thanos, but because Thanos debuted in Invincible Iron Man #55,
Thanos-3.jpg

he's actually part of the Avengers family.

Anyway, Cosmic Marvel started in the 1960s with science fiction works known as "Fantasy Masterpieces". FM was an anthology series inspired by EC Comics' horror anthologies (Tales from the Crypt, etc), but given the science fiction veneer that propelled Star Trek. "Fantasy Masterpieces" lasted for eleven issues before being re-branded as "Marvel Super-Heroes", at which point they introduced Adam Warlock (#12) and the original Guardians of the Galaxy team (#18).

FettFan

Any chance that with whatever BIG plans they have for the park, that they'll finally hook up the monorail service to DHS? (I know this is an annoying question that won't die!)

No, as DHS is only a bus or boat ride away from the Epcot station.

I mean, heck, you can see the Tower of Terror from inside World Showcase. That's too short a distance to justify the expense.

Last edited:

ProfSavage

1. Avengers Family
2. Spider-Man Family
3. X-Men Family
4. Fantastic Four Family
5. Marvel Cosmic Family

The first four are represented at Universal's Marvel Superhero Island....but Marvel Cosmic is not. The closest they have is Thanos, but because Thanos debuted in Invincible Iron Man #55,
Thanos-3.jpg

Anyway, Cosmic Marvel started in the 1960s with science fiction works known as "Fantasy Masterpieces". FM was an anthology series inspired by EC Comics' horror anthologies (Tales from the Crypt, etc), but given the science fiction veneer that propelled Star Trek. "Fantasy Masterpieces" lasted for eleven issues before being re-branded as "Marvel Super-Heroes", at which point they introduced Adam Warlock (#12) and the original Guardians of the Galaxy team (#18).

Thank you. I was tempted to mention some of that earlier, but...

Also, tangent but: Adam Warlock in GotG 2? I hope that happens.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Probably budget cuts, but remember One Man's Dream became permanent, so it's quite possible that as they developed the concept they decided the museum was good enough to stay, but the hat element could just be temporary, and nobody really needed the wheels. Of course it wasn't temporary, but I'm sure that wasn't the intention at the time.

Budget cuts when you are celebrating the 100th anniversary of the founder's birth? That's when good managers shift things around so that such an important event for an icon is done right. I would have proceeded, but after the celebration was over, kept the Hat, gotten rid of the "ears" and then you've got an iconic Disney symbol permanently housing a tribute to your founder.

Too bad they killed it.

FettFan

Thank you. I was tempted to mention some of that earlier, but...

Also, tangent but: Adam Warlock in GotG 2? I hope that happens.

It's going to. His coccoon is seen in the Collector's domain in both Thor: The Dark World and when the Guardians meet with him. Supposedly, it can be seen as hatched during the Howard the Duck stinger, but I'll have to wait until the Blu Ray is released to know for sure.

ProfSavage

It's going to. His coccoon is seen in the Collector's domain in both Thor: The Dark World and when the Guardians meet with him. Supposedly, it can be seen as hatched during the Howard the Duck stinger, but I'll have to wait until the Blu Ray is released to know for sure.

Yeah, I tried looking for it went I saw it again but couldn't tell for sure... Waiting for December 9th to see again. Do you think they'll make Adam Warlock Quill's father? Gunn already said J'son won't be in it...

PhotoDave219

Any chance that with whatever BIG plans they have for the park, that they'll finally hook up the monorail service to DHS? (I know this is an annoying question that won't die!)

I thought I had seen where the footers DO exist...and of course all that crap about a million per mile...yadda yadda...

How far is it actually to EPCOT if one were to use monorail? Would EPCOT's station have to become the new TTC or could they just whip in a short loop that would connect 3 of four parks?

Let me addreNONONONONONONONONONONONONONO.

Just stop. And its more like $100M a mile. At the absolute cheapest.

kpilcher

I totally get that. Glad someone was willing to go on the record. I know what you mean; I thoroughly sanitize what I'm posting anymore....
Indeed. No reason to burn sources. This isn't exactly life-shaking. An enthusiastic someone at work acted like getting confirmation and posting it on the record first was a really big deal. I said "well... this isn't exactly Watergate and I'm not going to be getting an Emmy or a Pulitzer for it." But I appreciated my colleague's enthusiasm and the support people have given me online. I also deeply appreciate my personal sources and the folks at media relations & press & publicity for their valuable help now and over the years. Burning any of them would not benefit anybody.

FettFan

Yeah, I tried looking for it went I saw it again but couldn't tell for sure... Waiting for December 9th to see again. Do you think they'll make Adam Warlock Quill's father? Gunn already said J'son won't be in it...

Maybe. It would make sense to run with that idea though, as it explains why Yondu and the Ravagers adopted Quill instead.

ProfSavage

I thought I had seen where the footers DO exist...and of course all that crap about a million per mile...yadda yadda...

How far is it actually to EPCOT if one were to use monorail? Would EPCOT's station have to become the new TTC or could they just whip in a short loop that would connect 3 of four parks?

dead-horse.gif

PhotoDave219

Indeed. No reason to burn sources. This isn't exactly life-shaking. An enthusiastic someone at work acted like getting confirmation and posting it on the record first was a really big deal. I said "well... this isn't exactly Watergate and I'm not going to be getting an Emmy or a Pulitzer for it." But I appreciated my colleague's enthusiasm and the support people have given me online. I also deeply appreciate my personal sources and the folks at media relations & press & publicity for their valuable help now and over the years. Burning any of them would not benefit anybody.

However....

Getting someone in Disney's media offices to go on the record is more impressive than most realize.

Matt_Black

1. Avengers Family
2. Spider-Man Family
3. X-Men Family
4. Fantastic Four Family
5. Marvel Cosmic Family

Thanos-3.jpg

Is that Drax in the third panel, there?

Next Big Thing

That sounds more like a "Studios" idea then an idea that would be used for a park that's moving away from that concept. Also, it would be an odd spot for a random Marvel attraction unless more is coming.
How so? Your attending a movie premier at a movie theatre. Not a soundstage or anything studio-esque.

Cosmic Commando

Guardians of the Galaxy had the extended preview inside a Disney Park, but Jim Hill reported that the in theater effects weren't used in Florida because that would put it closer to an attraction and potentially result in issues. I don't know enough about the language here to see what's permissible. Guardians of the Galaxy would essentially be made into the Avengers family by Disney. In doing so, would that negate their usage in the parks?
That implies that a movie in a theme park like that isn't an attraction without any effects, which I don't buy. If that's the case, why hadn't they done that for any of the other Marvel movies? They couldn't even run the Aveng-o-rail on the Epcot beam!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom