Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Here's the thing about Great Movie Ride....it should NOT be centered on just ONE movie. Turning it into a Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be nonsense, as we don't know how long Guardians will keep full steam ahead....and there are many wonderful films that NEED to be represented in the park. (Chiefly Indiana Jones, since I'm almost certain that any construction on a future "Star Wars Land" will necessitate the bulldozing of the Epic Stunt Spectacular)

How about THIS....same idea, that you get sucked into the movies as a 4-D experience comparable to Spider-man and Transformers....But you get sucked into different movie scenes.
To borrow from Walt himself....It should begin with a Mouse. Make it so that the audience is going to a screening of Fantasia. The queue area inside the theater with trailers would actually have theater seating.

You're sitting there, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice music starts playing....Mickey starts doing his Sorcerer's Apprentice thing, and naturally it all gets out of hand....however instead of merely creating zombie-brooms and tidal waves, Mickey's magic gets into the projector room. Reel after reel of film comes alive...and so does the theater. See, the theater you thought you were sitting in is actually made up of blocks of vehicles. Similar to Universe of Energy, but much smaller, each vehicle has seating for 16.

And thus, the theater breaks apart, each ride vehicle being sucked into a movie scene using the same trackless technology that Ratatouille and Mystic Manor both use. You might be in a fast motion Guardians of the Galaxy at one point, you might be in a slow From Here to Eternity.

I do stipulate that the Alien franchise is maintained. However, instead of the pure horror of the original, make it the action war film. You turn a corner, and instantly you're aboard the Sulaco, and there's Ripley in the power loader. She does a double-take when she realizes you're in the room so she yells at you to get out, that you're not safe....and at that point the Queen alien pops up. Ripley then fights her off to protect the ride vehicle.

Anyway, the last room would feature Yen Sid, taking over and putting the films back in order. He saves the ride vehicles and gets the passengers safely to the unload area.

I like. Send this to TDO.

PhotoDave219

Here's the thing about Great Movie Ride....it should NOT be centered on just ONE movie. Turning it into a Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be nonsense, as we don't know how long Guardians will keep full steam ahead....and there are many wonderful films that NEED to be represented in the park. (Chiefly Indiana Jones, since I'm almost certain that any construction on a future "Star Wars Land" will necessitate the bulldozing of the Epic Stunt Spectacular)

How about THIS....same idea, that you get sucked into the movies as a 4-D experience comparable to Spider-man and Transformers....But you get sucked into different movie scenes.
To borrow from Walt himself....It should begin with a Mouse. Make it so that the audience is going to a screening of Fantasia. The queue area inside the theater with trailers would actually have theater seating.

You're sitting there, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice music starts playing....Mickey starts doing his Sorcerer's Apprentice thing, and naturally it all gets out of hand....however instead of merely creating zombie-brooms and tidal waves, Mickey's magic gets into the projector room. Reel after reel of film comes alive...and so does the theater. See, the theater you thought you were sitting in is actually made up of blocks of vehicles. Similar to Universe of Energy, but much smaller, each vehicle has seating for 16.

And thus, the theater breaks apart, each ride vehicle being sucked into a movie scene using the same trackless technology that Ratatouille and Mystic Manor both use. You might be in a fast motion Guardians of the Galaxy at one point, you might be in a slow From Here to Eternity.

I do stipulate that the Alien franchise is maintained. However, instead of the pure horror of the original, make it the action war film. You turn a corner, and instantly you're aboard the Sulaco, and there's Ripley in the power loader. She does a double-take when she realizes you're in the room so she yells at you to get out, that you're not safe....and at that point the Queen alien pops up. Ripley then fights her off to protect the ride vehicle.

Anyway, the last room would feature Yen Sid, taking over and putting the films back in order. He saves the ride vehicles and gets the passengers safely to the unload area.

Here's the thing about the Great Movie Ride: Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

BrerJon

And the Fantasia at the end had me misty eyed - Fantasia was my late mother's favorite Disney film. I could do without the Sorcerer Mickey balloon at the end, though. Thanks

The great thing about the Sorcerer's Hat when it was *above* the Theater, on top of Mickey's head, instead of in front of it, on his nose, was that it was inflatable so only appeared for 15 minutes each night, leaving the daytime view pristine.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The great thing about the Sorcerer's Hat when it was *above* the Theater, on top of Mickey's head, instead of in front of it, on his nose, was that it was inflatable so only appeared for 15 minutes each night, leaving the daytime view pristine.

Oh, in the video it looked like the balloon was floating off to the side of the theatre.

BrerJon

Oh, in the video it looked like the balloon was floating off to the side of the theatre.

Well it was to the side of the main turret, but still above the wing of the theater - although in reality I think the balloon was a fair bit behind the building, but that's how it appeared to guests anyway.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Here's the thing about the Great Movie Ride: Its not going anywhere anytime soon.

However, it doesn't mean that it cannot have an update like Fett suggested. Which it needs. The live cast portion is just plain awful. If removal of the Hat is going to restore the view down Hollywood that many of you have been clamoring for, don't you think the building deserves a first class ride? Which GMR isn't anymore. He didn't say end it, make it better.

articos

Not all change is good. The hat's removal is good of course, but how afraid should I be as a fan of Great Movie Ride?
I wouldn't be afraid, but I would make a point to ride and enjoy it if you'll be in the park. That's about all I'm comfortable saying. If it helps, this is a long term turn of the ship, but the Studios work has started.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I'm no legal expert, but I think it all comes down to how far one side or the other wants to push the definition of "family".
Guardians of the Galaxy had the extended preview inside a Disney Park, but Jim Hill reported that the in theater effects weren't used in Florida because that would put it closer to an attraction and potentially result in issues. I don't know enough about the language here to see what's permissible. Guardians of the Galaxy would essentially be made into the Avengers family by Disney. In doing so, would that negate their usage in the parks?

BrerJon

However, it doesn't mean that it cannot have an update like Fett suggested. Which it needs. The live cast portion is just plain awful. If removal of the Hat is going to restore the view down Hollywood that many of you have been clamoring for, don't you think the building deserves a first class ride? Which GMR isn't anymore. He didn't say end it, make it better.

Even just a few weeks refurb would do the trick - just make sure everything works perfectly, restore broken elements, and give the CMs a new script that allows them space to improv more and dispenses with the dated references that were relevant ten years ago but are now as old as Footlight Parade (I'm looking at you 'I see dead people').

Sped2424

Now for the great movie ride certain cm's are saying they are already being reassigned to other places? How safe is this ride? Jim hill also stated it was possibly on the re imagining block.

Seabasealpha1

Maybe I'm wrong here...and maybe @marni1971 would chime in...

I believe they originally wanted to construct the hat near the international gateway of water that leads to Epcot by boat...I also thought they originally wanted the "ears" to be ferris wheels...

Then something something to do with 9/11 and something something or other and they put it in front of the theater...

I say stick the big illegitimate child out front where they park that big Christmas tree every year...but I guess I'm almost certain they'll landfill it for the expense of re-construction...

Mike S

What have you done to me, my mind is racing since I read this. Scoop ride vehicles (if Disney can use them that is), huge 3D screens and physical sets with AA's. Imagine riding alongside John Wayne, entering the Alien nest and encountering a huge AA of the queen (also her fight with Ripley), entering one of the car chase scenes from Indiana Jones....... Not sure about framing the whole thing with Fantasia but that could be a VERY cool ride :)

Of course it would be just fine if they simply upgraded the current ride too.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No... it's like taking down the Epcot wand or the Pepto Bismol cake.

And lord don't let them do that again for the 50th. First time we go to Disney, with my 8 year old daughter, the Castle is a hideous pink. I wanted to cry.

PhotoDave219

And I'm simply saying that its not going anywhere.

Allow me to try a different tangent.... TWDC is about to drop some serious bank at DHS. Everyone knows it. Its not a secret. All the signs are there. Its going to happen. Its beginning to look like a DCA-style makeover that is desperately needed and has been for many years. With the slow closing of everything in that back corner of the park, there is no way in hell that they would close GMR. They couldn't. Not until after everything else would be done. So you're looking 2018+ at the earliest before you could have a redo.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What have you done to me, my mind is racing since I read this. Scoop ride vehicles (if Disney can use them that is), huge 3D screens and physical sets with AA's. Imagine riding alongside John Wayne, entering the Alien nest and encountering a huge AA of the queen (also her fight with Ripley), entering one of the car chase scenes from Indiana Jones....... Not sure about framing the whole thing with Fantasia but that could be a VERY cool ride :)

Of course it would be just fine if they simply upgraded the current ride too.

Yeah, I know. His idea for a revamp of the ride got my pulse racing. I could do an Indiana car chase scene in a heartbeat...

BrerJon

I believe they originally wanted to construct the hat near the international gateway of water that leads to Epcot by boat...I also thought they originally wanted the "ears" to be ferris wheels...

Yup originally it was going to be put in place for Walt's 100th birthday, be a bit larger but more temporary, contain One Man's Dream inside, and have ferris wheels in the 'ears'. It would be situated where the bag check is now, outside the front of the park, as a temporary exhibit - note the Chinese Theater *far* in the distance in the original concept art, not concealed in any way.

3225.dhs_2D00_guide_2D00_2_2D00_hat.jpg_2D00_500x0.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom