Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

PhotoDave219

Unless it shows up in a landfill, I won't be happy. It's too big to be placed anywhere else, and while I love Mickey in Fantasia, it just doesn't fit in thematically anywhere on property... like the wand, it's too large and imposing for its cartoonish design.

I agree entirely in the concept that it's cartoonish and way too large.

However I am completely fine with repurposing it somewhere else.

BigTxEars

Unless it shows up in a landfill, I won't be happy. It's too big to be placed anywhere else, and while I love Mickey in Fantasia, it just doesn't fit in thematically anywhere on property... like the wand, it's too large and imposing for its cartoonish design.

I think they could put it somewhere on property not in a park, near a road somewhere for example. It's a cool piece IMO.

PhotoDave219

Now if they would only bring back the nightly fireworks with the big sorcerer Mickey balloon on top of the theater and we'd be all set.

Well… All of the fireworks launch points will be within active construction zone. Don't expect fireworks for a while…

I will have to ask around to find out how they're going to do New Year's.

Matt_Black

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be a source of contention and potential litigation between Comcast and Disney. These properties are much more valuable to either company than the MGM name/logo dispute. Disney now owns two extremely valuable and profitable properties. Comcast holds the rights to use a piece of one. Both have money. And if Comcast is allowed to purchase Time/Warner, what does that bring in terms of valuable properties into the Comcast stable. Isn't Warner Brothers part of Time/Warner? And what extremely lucrative movie rights does Warner own that Comcast will now own? Yeah. And Comcast will also own HBO, giving the largest cable company a massive amount of very valuable content. If I were Iger, I'd be very careful in taking on Comcast. Wouldn't want that cash cow called ESPN to suddenly have few eyeballs looking at it...

If you're talking about Comcast's recent purchase, that apparently only covers Time Warner CABLE. The greater AOL/ Time Warner conglomerate is apparently unaffected.

BrerJon

Yes. All of this. I knew someone would fill in all the details. MGM thought they their name was being used as a theme park license, and did not like that their name was tied to productions at the park.

And as that wonderful Yesterland article says, buildings as old as the theater aren't protected by copyright so there's nothing to stop anyone from building a replica, no contract needed. The only thing that's copyright is the phrase 'Grauman's Chinese Theatre', which isn't used anywhere in WDW.

BrerJon

Don't worry it'll be landfill. There's no way they'd spend the money needed to carefully reconstruct it brick-by-brick elsewhere, or move it on rollers or whatever. Nah, there's just a big wrecking ball coming in and the hat will hopefully soon be a pile of twisted magical metal.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you're talking about Comcast's recent purchase, that apparently only covers Time Warner CABLE. The greater AOL/ Time Warner conglomerate is apparently unaffected.

I am indeed. So Comcast doesn't get either HBO or Harry Potter, just more households to charge outrageous amounts for cable subscriptions. But still is a content provider with NBC/Universal. Thanks for setting me straight I knew I shouldn't try to think after 10pm on a Friday... I still would be cautious if I were Igor about getting into a tussle with Comcast over who gets to have which Marvel characters in their respective parks. Comcast has demonstrated its willingness to prevent certain content being available on its services. Is it still blocking HBO for its subscribers on Roku and PS3?

Thanks FCC for allowing the two largest and most despised cable companies to merge....

BrerJon

Maybe with the money they are about to pour into this park that they will go ahead and fix the Silhouette and blinds of my beloved Roger rabbit.

It continues to look worse and worse. And it would not take much to fix Maybe two days of somebody knowing what they were doing.

It is *disgraceful* the way the've neglected that. Is there nobody in maintenance management who cares in the slightest about show anymore?

mm121

I always liked the hat as a park icon, though i agree its location could have been better.

its too bad they are destroying it rather than relocating it, here are two possible locations, just outside the entrance.

to avoid cluttering the walkway area, i kinda like the location by the lagoon to the east, then youd see it while arriving by boat. and it wouldn't be visually blocking anything.
hat.jpg

PhotoDave219

I always liked the hat as a park icon, though i agree its location could have been better.

its too bad they are destroying it rather than relocating it, here are two possible locations, just outside the entrance.

to avoid cluttering the walkway area, i kinda like the location by the lagoon to the east, then youd see it while arriving by boat. and it wouldn't be visually blocking anything.
View attachment 71391

Is this your speculation or do you have some sort of info on where they would move it to?

Next Big Thing

With all the rumors from various sources saying the hat is coming down, has any of these sources reported of what will take it's place?
Nothing substantial needs to take it's place. The only thing there before was a garden and an easier path to GMR.

I would like to see a nice fountain installed here though. Sort of like the one on Buena Vista Street at DCA. It would add kinetics and most importantly, more water, to the park. The park is such a concrete waste land it's ridiculous.

FettFan

Here's the thing about Great Movie Ride....it should NOT be centered on just ONE movie. Turning it into a Guardians of the Galaxy movie would be nonsense, as we don't know how long Guardians will keep full steam ahead....and there are many wonderful films that NEED to be represented in the park. (Chiefly Indiana Jones, since I'm almost certain that any construction on a future "Star Wars Land" will necessitate the bulldozing of the Epic Stunt Spectacular)

How about THIS....same idea, that you get sucked into the movies as a 4-D experience comparable to Spider-man and Transformers....But you get sucked into different movie scenes.
To borrow from Walt himself....It should begin with a Mouse. Make it so that the audience is going to a screening of Fantasia. The queue area inside the theater with trailers would actually have theater seating.

You're sitting there, and the Sorcerer's Apprentice music starts playing....Mickey starts doing his Sorcerer's Apprentice thing, and naturally it all gets out of hand....however instead of merely creating zombie-brooms and tidal waves, Mickey's magic gets into the projector room. Reel after reel of film comes alive...and so does the theater. See, the theater you thought you were sitting in is actually made up of blocks of vehicles. Similar to Universe of Energy, but much smaller, each vehicle has seating for 16.

And thus, the theater breaks apart, each ride vehicle being sucked into a movie scene using the same trackless technology that Ratatouille and Mystic Manor both use. You might be in a fast motion Guardians of the Galaxy at one point, you might be in a slow From Here to Eternity.

I do stipulate that the Alien franchise is maintained. However, instead of the pure horror of the original, make it the action war film. You turn a corner, and instantly you're aboard the Sulaco, and there's Ripley in the power loader. She does a double-take when she realizes you're in the room so she yells at you to get out, that you're not safe....and at that point the Queen alien pops up. Ripley then fights her off to protect the ride vehicle.

Anyway, the last room would feature Yen Sid, taking over and putting the films back in order. He saves the ride vehicles and gets the passengers safely to the unload area.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hell yes, I'd take that over Fantasmic anyday.

And I thought the Star Wars fireworks were the best I'd seen... Was kinda worried about the initial cheesy covers of old movie themes, but by the time Close Encounters rolled around, I was saying "hell, yes, bring THIS back!" Close Encounters, Star Wars and Indiana all in one show...just plain awesome. And the Fantasia at the end had me misty eyed - Fantasia was my late mother's favorite Disney film. I could do without the Sorcerer Mickey balloon at the end, though. Thanks for sharing.

And don't you just love it when someone stands in front of your camera just as you are starting to film?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom