Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No no. No no no no no. No no. No no no no no no no no no no.

Actually....nevermind.

20080202231407!Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Clarify something for me. Did an analysis of Disney in the mid 1980s for my b-school thesis. I thought the relationship between Disney and MGM went south years ago, around the time the Studios stopped being, well, a functioning studio. I cannot imagine and don't remember in my research Disney agreeing to the construction of a building that would present copyright/ownership issues on land it owns in a park it owns and operates. So however this bizarre rumor started (and that CM needs to be sent back to CM school) it needs to end.

And you can stop flogging that poor dead horse. I could relate the etymology of that phrase - has to do with British sailors and pay - but don't want to bore anyone.

ProfSavage

Clarify something for me. Did an analysis of Disney in the mid 1980s for my b-school thesis. I thought the relationship between Disney and MGM went south years ago, around the time the Studios stopped being, well, a functioning studio. I cannot imagine and don't remember in my research Disney agreeing to the construction of a building that would present copyright/ownership issues on land it owns in a park it owns and operates. So however this bizarre rumor started (and that CM needs to be sent back to CM school) it needs to end.

And you can stop flogging that poor dead horse. I could relate the etymology of that phrase - has to do with British sailors and pay - but don't want to bore anyone.

The origins of the Internet rumor elude me, but it probably is just one of those things that took on the "Liberty Valance" syndrome... The legend became fact, so now we print the legend. But no, it is just that, an internet rumor than left the lamp a while ago and there is no putting the Genie back in. Oh whale.

And I know all about that phrase... granted I'd find it interesting because I love idioms but this probably isn't the right crowd to geek out over language.

zarpman

The MGM deal started going south before the park even opened, when Disney started producing content at the studio and advertised it as being filmed "at Disney-MGM Studios".

LAKid53

Premium Member
The MGM deal started going south before the park even opened, when Disney started producing content at the studio and advertised it as being filmed "at Disney-MGM Studios".

Thanks for that clarification. Didn't want to go digging around my files to find a nearly 30 year old thesis...

vinnya1726

Even with the story about the BAH blocking the theater being just an internet rumor, you have to wonder if they are re-imaginering the entire park or at least most if it, would it not make since to put a new Icon in the the center to symbolize that change in direction. Might not happen, but I would not start the celebrations of seeing the theater as you walk up Hollywood Blvd just yet.

Seabasealpha1

I don't know about a new icon...I wouldn't totally freak out...but I might a little. I just wonder what they'd use. As far as the theater is concerned...it is a well done replica and it is beautiful...I think it'd make sense to leave it well enough alone... I don't see them shutting down the whole park to rebuild all of it...after all...a total overhaul would be very much more involved for DHS than it was for CA.

At least that's my humble opinion...nothing more...take or leave.

jrh1985

If it went south early? How did WDW hold on to Disney MGM Studios-the name till 2008?
Interesting thought, Most of the Vacation Planning Videos from the 90's had just Disney Studios While every Resort TV Video that I've seen from back then had the full name Disney MGM Studios

mm52200

A friend in entertainment at DHS said they heard that a permanent stage will be going in the place of the hat which makes sense rather than putting up the temporary one up all the time.

zarpman

Contracts. The MGM name was held until the contract ran out. MGM sued Disney from using it as advertising when they were building their own theme park that shuttered long before the contract expired. That's why the planning videos called it simply Disney Studios.

doctornick

I disagree. If we get a full-fledged Star Wars land, I think Star Wars works better as a "Real" place to visit. By being sucked into the movie, and then a block over you have Star Tours which is supposed to be you at a starport... wouldn't mesh.

I think that's a valid point; it would be different if the "get sucked into a Star Wars movie" was in a different park than a Star Wars land.

That said, maybe an alternative Lucasfilm franchise would work.... If they lose the Indy stunt show and are hell bent on replacing GMR with a franchise ride, I think going to watch a showing of Raiders and becoming part of the movie would be pretty cool.

doctornick

I'm no legal expert, but I think it all comes down to how far one side or the other wants to push the definition of "family".

I've often said that there's a lot of gray area in the contract in terms of what constitutes a "family" member. That said, it seemed there was a strong consensus that the GotG (as well as the characters of Big Hero 6) would be free for WDW to use. PErsonally, though, I wouldn't mind seeing a GotG ride go into Tomorrowland either as an addition or replacing one of the things that shouldn't be there (Stitch, Laugh Floor). Since WDW ain't getting a Marvel land any time soon, it would be a good use of the franchise they can utilize without it sticking out from the surrounding theme.

zarpman

The Earfful Tower is still visible from inside the park. I don't see why it can't be used again as the icon, especially since its been used on and off again with the hat (especially in more recent years).

LAKid53

Premium Member
If it went south early? How did WDW hold on to Disney MGM Studios-the name till 2008?
Interesting thought, Most of the Vacation Planning Videos from the 90's had just Disney Studios While every Resort TV Video that I've seen from back then had the full name Disney MGM Studios

There's going south and then there's the end of the formal relationship. If I remember from my research, it was never a love fest between Disney and MGM, since MGM sued Disney in 1988, claiming Disney violated the agreement signed in 1985 giving Disney the right to use the MGM name and logo. And Disney countersued, claiming MGM violated its abilities to use the MGM name and logo licensed to it under the 1985 agreement. That and Disney was afraid the theme park MGM was building at the MGM Grand in Vegas would impact Disney's reputation. And the park opened in May 1989, so things were rocky from the day Disney decided to start operating a working studio. Had to go back and look all this stuff up to satisfy my curiosity. It was Meg Crofton who announced the change in the name in 2007 to more accurately reflect what the park had become.

So all you who think Disney cannot do anything with that theatre because of the MGM connection, so sad, too bad, you are wrong and the 1992 court decision settling the litigation says so. The only connection with the theatre is the separate licensing agreement allowing Disney to use MGM content in the Great Movie Ride. Nothing precludes Disney from changing the façade of the theatre, tearing it down or dumping the GMR. Other than our cries of despair if they did so.

dhall

We should all expect that Disney has as much or more of an iron-clad contract guaranteeing the perpetual use of the Chinese Theater than Universal has right to use Marvel characters east of the Mississippi.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom