The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The ambiance is great, and the food is quite yummy.
I go there for lunch during one of my day visits and order the delicious side salad as well as a basket of their famous ( and rightly so ) Pomme Frittes.
This particular visit the pumpkin beignets were available, so i was able to sample them as well.
All delicious, and all for under twenty dollars.
You cannot beat the scenery either, especially when seated outside facing the Rivers of America.

Just had to dine here again since it fits into the theme for this Tour.
Yes, even Tony*s influence is felt when choosing a place to settle down for a meal.

Since back on the topic of New Orleans Square...and dining there...i am reminded of a neat little coincidence that happened one afternoon.
I was walking through the newly designed walkways and came upon the new entrance to the famed Club 33.
I had just stepped in front of the door and gave it a quick glance as i was strolling by when it suddenly opened.
No one came out, and the door just stayed open for about a minute while i was standing right in front of it.
It was almost like a beckoning hand inviting me to step in...but i just enjoyed the view of seeing the re-designed Court of Angles.

After that minute that seemed much longer, someone finally did emerge and depart...but it was a neat little *being in the right place at the right time* moment.
Of course this would have been even cooler if it happened last visit..when the Original Club 33 was still operating...but it was nice to see the Court again in person.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I wish I had some of those pomme frittes right now! We usually are less healthy and got the pomme frittes and the monte cristos; no salads for us when monte cristos are available! :)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Ah...well the Monte Cristos are tempting, and i almost tried the cheese-only version available at Cafe Orleans...but felt like something lighter.
The salad and Frittes are just right for me...and with a cold water it is a light but filling meal that i find a good refresher half way through a busy day.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Let us now enter the enchanted realm of Fantasyland.

One of the high points of any visit to *Baxterland* is taking in the gorgeously designed facades built for all the Attraction buildings in this area.
I have raved on about it*s beauty before on previous visits, but could not resist adding some additional photos and comments this time around.
Just a stunning area...beautifully themed.

Here is a photo of the show building for *Peter Pans Flight*.
Packed with details, it is lovely eye candy.
Note the Croc weather vane on a peak to the right.

Equally charming to see this building illuminated at night with all the themed lighting.
All the Fantasyland Attractions look wonderful in the evening hours.

I had touched on the fabulous detail to be seen on the show building for *Snow Whites Scary Adventures* during the first chapter of this venture, but i am still finding delightful little things every time i visit and look it over.

Here is one example -

If you look closely, there is a *hidden* stairway on the roof that leads to the Queen*s tower, where she has been known to periodically peek out from behind the curtains at Guests standing below.
Just a neat added detail waiting to be discovered by those who take the time to take in the surroundings.

A closer view of the stairs -

I love finding these types of details.
They are there for a reason, and it adds a lot of character to a setting like this.
Fantasyland is just packed full of such details...which makes it a lovely place to spend some time just admiring the scenery.

PacNWTigger

-

Let us now enter the enchanted realm of Fantasyland.

One of the high points of any visit to *Baxterland* is taking in the gorgeously designed facades built for all the Attraction buildings in this area.
I have raved on about it*s beauty before on previous visits, but could not resist adding some additional photos and comments this time around.
Just a stunning area...beautifully themed.

Here is a photo of the show building for *Peter Pans Flight*.
Packed with details, it is lovely eye candy.
Note the Croc weather vane on a peak to the right.

Equally charming to see this building illuminated at night with all the themed lighting.
All the Fantasyland Attractions look wonderful in the evening hours.

I had touched on the fabulous detail to be seen on the show building for *Snow Whites Scary Adventures* during the first chapter of this venture, but i am still finding delightful little things every time i visit and look it over.

Here is one example -

If you look closely, there is a *hidden* stairway on the roof that leads to the Queen*s tower, where she has been known to periodically peek out from behind the curtains at Guests standing below.
Just a neat added detail waiting to be discovered by those who take the time to take in the surroundings.

A closer view of the stairs -

I love finding these types of details.
They are there for a reason, and it adds a lot of character to a setting like this.
Fantasyland is just packed full of such details...which makes it a lovely place to spend some time just admiring the scenery.
You're giving me all sorts of stuff to look out for and point out to my DH on our upcoming trip. Keep it coming my friend!!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
My pleasure. I enjoy sharing these little discoveries with others.
:)

If you want to add to your list, be sure to read this entire thread starting from Page One if you have not already done so.
LOTS of fun little tidbits pointed out, with many photo examples too!

And now to continue with a overview of this recent venture....

Before i do, i have to note something i just learned ...i have yet again just missed seeing Mr. Baxter actually in 'Baxterland'.
I just discovered this morning that there was a special in-Park AP Event earlier this week that he attended.
A showing of 'Sleeping Beauty' at the Fantasyland Theatre, with a panel discussion featuring himself and Tim O' Day.
It took place one week after i had left town.
OHHhhhh!!!
SO close...yet again.
:(

Readers may recall that after returning from my 1st 'Baxterland Tour' last year, i found out two weeks later that Tony was actually around in the Park one of the days i was there.
I had come across a photo of him in front of Ray Bradbury's Halloween Tree in Frontierland that was time stamped a morning i was wandering around that same area in the Park.
I was thrilled, not disapointed, to learn about it later.

I really need to get my timing in order...as i would love to meet this man in person while exploring 'Baxterland' !
Talk about a dream come true...

Well, in the meantime...let's move on to some of the adventures that took place this time around.
Fantasyland is where we left off, so lets continue.
One of the 'must dos' this visit was to experience the 'Storybook Canal Boats' during the daytime.
Because the line seems to always be so long during the day, i usually wait until the evening hours to enjoy this quaint voyage.
It is beautiful to see at night, but i wanted to view the miniature buildings in daylight so i could better see all the rich detailing.
I also wanted to snap some photographs of the charming miniature scenes, so waited it out in the hot sun that late morning for the opportunity.
It was worth it...

A few views....
The castle from 'Snow White' upon the hill -

A view of the bottom of this same hill, with various village houses.
The larger one shown in this photo reminds me so much of Mr. Baxter's famous residence...in those other 'hills' out yonder beyond the berm.
I will confess the primary reason i snapped this photo was because it so immediately reminded me of that amazing place.

Here is a photo of the model of Tony's house that he made as an example of how these two little buildings resemble each other.
His model here could be placed within the setting of the 'Storybook Canal' and fit in just perfectly !

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And speaking of Tony's fabulously designed homestead...and the miniature residences on display within the 'Storybook Canal'....

Tony has said in the past that part of the inspiration for the look of his home came from this design Ken Anderson did for the Toad Hall miniature.
Here are a pair of photos showing Mr. Toads residence as it appears as you cruise by on the 'Storybook Canal Boats'

A closer view of the front entrance...
I see one of the 'stone' decorative spheres atop the stairs is missing.

Toad must have crashed into it recently...in one of his crazy motor car jaunts....and it has yet to be replaced.

Oh that reckless Toad.
He really must to emend his ways or one of these days he is going to end up in Hades.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Before we depart Fantasyland, i should include a story.
One of several fun Cast Member interactions took place in this Land, and it relates to Mr. Baxter.

The setting was 'Pinocchio's Village Haus', a counter service restaurant.
I was one of the last Guests served that evening, and when i stepped up to the counter to pick up my order the young girl behind the counter spotted my 'Tony Baxter Fan Club' pinback button.
She enthusiastically talked about it, and insisted on giving me a 'elbow bump' ( done in foodservice instead of a high-five hand slap for sanitary reasons ) for being a Baxter Fan.
She then confessed that as much as she respects Tony, she was in reality a big Rolly Crump fan.
This was pretty neat... to meet someone that young so aware of Rolly and what he has done.
Usually it is only the older fans that know about him... but there she was, Rolly's #1 fan.

Another incident happened late one evening outside of the 'Alice In Wonderland' Attraction.
I was standing in line, which had just been closed for the evening, when a young well dressed gent spotted the pin and made a point to express how much he liked it.
Told him i liked to show some support for my favorite *idea guy* when i visit the Park, to which he thought was rather cool.
We kind of ended up looking at each other with a mutual understanding and respect.
I suspected he was possibly a Imagineer ( just had that vibe about him ).
Kind of a nice moment to close the evening.

This pinback button has always been a great conversation starter with CMs.
This visit was no different.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Where to next on our Tour....

A *in-between* stopover at the Matterhorn and Submarine Voyage.
While both of these Attractions originally were considered part of Tomorrowland ( our next stop ), today they are associated more with Fantasyland.
So this is a good opportunity to talk about them and make the crossover to our next area of exploration.

Here is a view of the mighty Matterhorn, with the then-just-re-opened Submarine Voyage lagoon.

I still consider the Subs a *Tomorrowland* Attraction, despite the present day cartoony overlay.
It was a thrill to be there when the Subs re-opened after a lengthy refurb the week i was in town, as i love this experience.
Not a fan of the Nemo overlay ( prefer my Nemo to be a Captain Nemo...) but i sure enjoy getting my *Sub fix* when i can.
Really miss WDWs *20,000 Leagues Under The Sea* version of the Attraction they closed years ago.

The first half of the Submarine Voyage, when you cruise within the lagoon outside, is surreal and even relaxing.
It*s the best part of the Show for me...just looking out of the portholes and spotting various undersea scenery and relics.
Your imagination can easily run wild...and the *trip* is all the more enchanting when that happens.

Here is a view outside as you cruise by in the lagoon on a fine bright California afternoon -

Once you enter the show building, i try to focus more on looking over the actual sets and scenery present instead of the CGI projections.
Spotted a open glittering treasure chest this time around...woo!

I highly recommend both a daytime and a nighttime ride.
Just a neat experience, unless you have restless toddlers in your Sub grouping.

I hope the Subs are there to stay for a long, long time.

The Matterhorn i have talked about on previous ventures, but still to this day every time i ride all i can think about is Tony*s story about his first ride on it the day it opened in 1959.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Ahhh...the twirling decorative spires of the Astro Orbitor signal that we have arrived at our next destination of this chapter of the 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'.....
Tomorrowland !

Back again, "Back in Baxterland", and enjoying the view.
I would say the two 'Lands' i seem to find myself spending the most time in are Tomorrowland and Adventureland...and i don't even ride 'Space Mountain'.
Perhaps Tomorrowland here appeals to me as it reminds me a little bit of EPCOT, my 'home' Park thousands of miles away.
Several of the sweeping design elements still present from the 60s here remind me of the architectural style of early EPCOT Center which is massively appealing to me.
Might be my fascination with the non-operational Observatron and PeopleMover. I find my eyes always drawn to those relics...just sitting there.
Photos from my previous ventures showed this fascination.

Whatever it is, Tomorrowland is where i spent a bit of my time this visit.

Revisited one of my favorite elements of the Land to snap a few more photos...the wonderfully surreal constellation mural above Tomorrowland Terrence -
Absolutely love this ...and the lighting being the 'stars' and 'planets'.
I really need to recreate this on my own ceiling !

A futuristic view looking towards the Tomorrowland Terrence stage -

DLs Tomorrowland gets a lot of flack for being in the state it currently is in, but when you tour the Park with 'different eyes' you will still find little delights like this just waiting to be appreciated.
Sometimes it's the 'little things' that end up being the 'big things' in the end.

Take these themed Stroller Parking signs as an example .....just 'there'...and waiting to be looked at by a 'Star Wars' fan who will no doubt smile when noticing them -

Another one by the Tomorrowland Terrence stage -

It's a 'great big beautiful tomorrow' after all....in your near future.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Moving along now...or more like moseying along...to Frontierland.
Onwards!

I was incorrect when i stated i spent most of my time in Adventureland and Tomorrowland.
Not sure how i did it, but how could i forget all the hours spent in Frontierland!
This was most certainly the other *land* where i practically lived this visit.
From resting on the shaded benches outside of the Golden Horseshoe, to drinkin* all the cold iced Anaheim tap water i wanted from the free *water bar* at the Rancho restaurant...to ridin* the rails an insane amount of times over at *Tony*s Mountain*...yep, Frontierland n* me became much more acquainted with each other on a more personal level.

The lovely view one fine afternoon of that famous Mountain.
Pretty sure i beat my previous record of rides during a visit this time around....

Speaking of BTMR, part of fun this time around was finding two spots i had been looking for on previous ventures, but could not figure out where they were without a little photographic research.
Regular readers here might remember my quest to find what i had dubbed *Tony*s Shack* located somewhere on the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad property.
Well i found it up where it was supposed to be which was great, and it is nice to finally have that *mystery* solved!

For those wondering, the *Shack* is the dynamite shed directly to your left after you pass the famous Goat on the peak of the 2nd lift hill.
Here is a photo i found to illustrate, pre-refurb, as it appeared in it*s original rustic state.
Today it has been re-dressed with several props, skunks, and red lettering painted all over it warning of the dangerous explosives inside.

The other spot was a curiosity i had wondered about.
One of my favorite photos of Tony with his creation is shown below.
For some time i have puzzled over this photo, as the angle and bits of buildings behind him made me wonder where this area was located. A real brain teaser, as i could not guess where it could be.
I finally found the spot this visit...quite by accident, but i will confess it was a neat realization when the scenery i was looking at finally matched up with that treasured photo.

Call it part of the *photographic treasure hunt*....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Since we are on the topic of *Tony*s Mountain*, this would be the time to share my encounter with a rather remarkable Cast Member who was stationed here late one evening.
What was remarkable was not only his performance, but the fact that he reminded me of someone.
Read on..!

Traditionally, on the final evening i am in the Park before leaving to return back home, i ride Big Thunder Mountain Railroad one last time.
This is usually right before the Park closes, so i can ride one of the last trains that is almost always full of die-hard *Mountain* fans such as myself and off duty CMs
The ride experiences are greatly enhanced on such late evenings with such a crowd, as you can likely imagine.
It always makes for a nice *send off* before i have to turn tail and get on a airplane to take the long journey back home.

This particular *last night* was going well.
It was 10 minutes to Park Closing.

As i awaited in the coveted row #15 holding pen for my particular train to arrive, something catches my attention.
It was a young Cast Member directly across from me entertaining those Guests who were waiting in the loading gates for the train to arrive.
What caught my attention was the fact that he was so totally into his role...and played it so well as a *miner* at the Mountain.
For the two trains that passed by while i was waiting, I watched his entertaining interactions.

As the train pulled into the loading area and folks jumped in, he would try to encourage the folks to shout *yee haw* with him when the time came for the train to depart.
After each playing of the famous recorded spiel, he would then immediately shout *YEE HAW..Giddyap!!* loudly at the train, to which of course it would then immediately pull out of the station and begin it*s trip around the Mountain.
When a train would arrive and Guests were to exit, he would greet these *partners* and then instruct them to *mosey on out to the right* and have a nice evening.
I have to say that this interplay really enlivened things and was at the same time hilarious to witness.
He was a appealing personality that was obviously thoroughly enjoying his job.
It has been a while since i have seen someone get into the role this enthusiastically.

Whoever he was, he was great.

As i watched him, all of a sudden i had the realization that he reminds me of someone.
Someone familiar to me, but as he appeared as a young man just starting on his own journey working for the Park....
Then it hit me -
I could not believe my eyes, but there he was...standing right there on the loading platform across from me.
Egad, it is a teenaged-twenty something Tony Baxter.....!
:jawdrop:

I kid you not, this enthusiastic CM playing around at BTMR that night was the absolute spitting image of a young Mr. Baxter....right down to the striped dress shirt.

My jaw was agape.
Perhaps my imagination just ran a little too far away with me that late evening, or that watery Mint Julep i had earlier was messing with my head...but it felt like i had been sucked into some kind of time warp and was suddenly 40+ years back in the past.
Was not expecting THAT to happen...!

Here is a photo as an example of what i mean -

Twenty-something Tony, from a company newsletter showing him working on a mid-70s project...

I swear, whoever that fun CM was that night was the living incarnation of this photo...Twenty-something Tony.
He looked exactly like him back then...and this photo immediately came to mind.
Just a surreal, unexpected moment...seeing this Cast Member.
Took me quite by surprise.
Wish i had taken a photo of him!

I tried to read his nametag, but could not, so i don*t even know his real name.
If i did, i would have certainly written a letter to Guest Relations about how wonderful he was playing his role so well and in such a entertaining way.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

And now we ride off from our exploits in Frontierland into the colorful sunset that awaits us in Adventureland.

On the previous venture, i had discovered a delightful surprise awaiting sharp eyed visitors who were paying attention to their surroundings while standing on the upper level queuing area of the Jungle Cruise.
Here, one of Rolly Crump*s famous Tiki Drummers from *The Enchanted Tiki Room* is set among the rare imports that appear to have been shipped in from exotic destinations afar.
I was able to snap a photo of it up there this time around, so here he is above the shop *Tropical Imports* which is located within the Cruise*s queue area.

Here are a pair of the Tiki Drummers in the Show itself, for reference -

There is indeed a reason this Show is still called The *Enchanted* Tiki Room here....as the Original is indeed truly that - Enchanting.

No wonder a teenaged Tony Baxter was willing to spend all his lunch money to buy several E-Coupons to see it back when it first opened !

Ahhh...i love Animatronic spectacles.
Some people think of them as too *old school*, but sometimes *old* can mean *better* then what is offered today in some cases.
I personally would rather pay to see actual figures performing instead of monitor screen footage.

I love the chance this show offers to just, for those few moments, bask in the WED-ness of it all.
Classic Animatronic entertainment rules.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

And now we come to the part of the excursion that i have most been looking forward to sharing with everyone here....
...the most recent exploration of 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' ( aka 'Indiana Jones Adventure' ).

Two highlights of this particular chapter of the venture took place here.

Let us begin by setting the scene with this atmospheric view -

The dense jungle growth slowly revealing the Temple itself...a portal into which one steps to discover new delights awaiting inside.

As one approaches, several stone pillars decorated with Nagas ( serpent deities from India ) intimidate you at every step.
Beautifully carved, here is a closer view of the artistry present.

Looking high above, the handiwork of Dr. Jones dedicated team is evident.
How awesome would it be to have the opportunity to climb those ladders...and see the view from up there?
One can dream....

....or...one can just use their imagination when looking at this fabulous photo of the IJA Project Team.

'Where's Tony"...?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
Continuing with our most recent exploration of 'Tony's Temple of Wonders'....

One of the neatest 'discoveries' this visit was finding some 'field notes' written by Dr. Jones in his journal, and a note left for Sallah.
These two finds are out in plain view, but i had missed seeing them until now.
How i missed these all the times i have walked through that entrance proper, i cannot explain....but i 'found' them this time around and was utterly delighted.
A real gem of a great 'hidden' pair of details!

I probably missed them because i was always admiring this fantastic mural of Mara.
The journal of field notes, and the parchment note left for Sallah, are located on a work bench directly below this entrance mural which is to your right as soon as you enter the actual stone Temple itself.

A photo as an example of said mural -

Here is a detailed pair of pages from Dr. Jones journal, telling you some fascinating details about the Temple's entrance.
Once again, when one takes the time to observe more closely...one is always rewarded.
There is even a translation of the mysterious inscription located in this area, as well as a neat 'discovery' Dr. Jones made himself high above the entrance area.

Next to the journal is this parchment note left by Indiana for his friend Sallah, which furthers the plot and adds a fun reference to his arch nemesis Belloq.

Absolutely awesome little bits. Made my day.
This is why i so love this Attraction....every time you visit, you find something new!
Reminds me of Tony's famous quote - " It's not the first ride, but the twentieth ride that is the most important".
Word.

The mural as it appears outside of the Temple, as one is departing the grounds via the exit path -
( thought this was a interesting photo, showing some alternative detailing...)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Before we depart the Temple however, i must share what was probably the highlight of the entire visit this chapter.

'Finding' Tony's Transport and succeeding in the challenge of photographing it which was no easy task !

As readers may already be aware, there are numerous 'hidden' references to the various Imagineers who worked on this particular project.
Their initials turn up on the walls of the Temple ( primarily in the queue chamber that contains the 'Obelisk of Doom' ) as well as on the ride vehicles themselves.
Each Transport vehicle contains the initials and birthdates of all the key people involved in bringing the 'Indiana Jones Adventure' to vivid life, and that of course includes our favorite 'idea guy' Mr. Baxter.

So i was thrilled to finally be able to ride this particular Transport ( in the best seat, no less ) AND succeed in capturing it's initialed tail end in a still photo.
You would think that would be a easy thing to do, but trust me...it was indeed a tricky challenge!
The perfect angle was in a place no one would think of taking a photograph from...but it was exactly this spot that enabled me to succeed.
You also had only about 30 seconds in which to shoot ( or so it seemed ) as the vehicles are emptied and loaded so quickly.

Here it is....the photo trophy of this particular chapter - Tony's Transport #10 !

So what is the best seat to sit in, you might be wondering?
Well, that is a matter of opinion of course, but i personally find the back row - extreme right seat the absolute best for thrills.
This is the seat the programmer sat in with his control console to program the vehicles movements to interact with the show elements.
Here you can really feel all the work that went into that, and have a more thrilling ride because of it.

For scenic elements, the 'drivers seat' is the best.
Here you have a clear unobstructed view of all the action and sets, and get the bonus of feeling like you are actually 'driving' through the Temple.
A absolute must do at some point, so don't be shy in requesting either seat from the loading Cast Member.
They will happily put you 'behind the wheel' or 'first in the back' if you so wish!

Of all the 'relics' to be found within the Temple walls, riding and photographing Transport #10 was a fun highlight.

Some other relics lying around...waiting to be tagged and shipped to destinations unknown on the upper level area of the queue -

Another nice moment came when i encountered a Cast Member one afternoon while traversing the exit lane for a Single Rider pass through.
He spotted the 'Baxterland' t-shirt i was wearing and his face lit up like a bright light.
After we chatted for a bit, he insisted that i 'must show this to Tony'.
Yes, that would indeed be quite nice....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Something i have been meaning to touch on during these ventures has been the lovely revealing of a 'hidden' Baxter reference over at Disney's California Adventure Park.
Not a Park i would expect to find such a thing, but it really touches on someone who played a key role in helping Tony develop as a Imagineer.

I noticed this slight visual reference during the first chapter of this journey last year, but was unable to snap any decent photos of it.
So i held off on talking about it.
This visit however, it was on the personal 'photography hunt' list, so now i can touch on this fun little 'discovery'.

So what is the slight reference?
Well, it was this neat window display at 'Trolly Treats'.
It took me by surprise when i first saw it one fine evening when i walked by on my way out, looking at all the window displays as i went.
When i saw this 'candy mountain', it immediately made me think of Tony's beloved mentor Claude Coats.

Have a look....

As it appears from outside, looking in the window -

A closer view of the base, with sugar-sweet decorations and other details -

A view of the small candy cottage next to the tracks.
If you stand there for a moment or two, a small Red Car Trolly model car slowly moves around on those tracks through the entire model -

I suppose only a serious fan who is aware of the backstory of this would make such a connection, but this window display relates to the infamous 'Candy Mountain' concept Walt and the original Imagineers over at WED were designing for Disneyland.
Claude was one of the key people in it's creation, doing concept artwork and helping build the original concept model.
This model in the 'Trolly Treats' window is not the original, but it harkens back to it as the original was also decorated with real candy.
When i saw this semi-recreation of the famous abandoned concept in the candy shop window it immediately made me think of Claude Coats.

Here is the concept art drawn by Claude of 'Candy Mountain', which was originally going to incorporate the Casey Jr. Train and the Storybook Canal Boats.
The boats would have entered the base of the Mountain as shown, and Guests would have experienced a set of show scenes based on 'The Wizard of Oz'.
Other scenes based on the various Oz story books would have also been included in the ride through experience.

Another view of Claude's original artwork, showing a little more of the central details.

It was a whimsical concept for Fantasyland, but alas, it was abandoned.
Tony once remarked a few years ago that perhaps this is a concept that should be revisited and looked at again.
A interesting thing to think about.

Ya know, a 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' would NOT be complete without some recognition of Claude Coats.
Not only was he Tony's mentor at WED back in the day, but Claude painted some stunning backgrounds for several Disney Animated films..from 'Pinocchio' to 'Fantasia', to 'Song of the South' and more.
Theme Park fans probably know him best by his work in designing stunning atmospheric settings for two of Disney's finest Attraction experiences, 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and 'The Haunted Mansion'...just a sampling of several he was involved with.

He is also known as the one who took a young newly hired Imagineer named Tony Baxter under his wing and gave him a real chance to make a difference.
Without Claude's influence and willingness to let Tony try out some of his own ideas on designs, things would have turned out very differently for both of them and the world of themed entertainment in general.

There are some wonderful stories about how Tony first 'met' Claude and how the two of them began working together.
One of the most famous stories is how a teenaged Tony sneaked off during his break from working at the Plaza Gardens to check out how work was progressing on the then-under-construction 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Attraction.
Claude spotted him trying to sneak a peek inside, and noting his interest, invited young Tony inside and showed him everything he wanted to see.
Needless to say Tony was blown away.
When he returned to work he was scolded for being late, and was told he would have his pay docked for the time he was away.
He did'nt care, as the experience he just had was absolutely priceless and worth it!

Here's a fabulous photo of Claude Coats (L) showing the model for the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' Attraction to DL Ambassador Julie Reihm and Walt Disney.

I encourage those interested in learning more to listen to some of Tony's many interviews over the years where he talks about the subject.
Quite amazing to hear how it all began and how that working relationship developed.

The end result speaks for itself!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

What is a 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' without the a few fun souvenirs, and for this chapter those included some fine additions to my appropriately themed pin collection.
Here is a view of some of the new editions...along with a few old favorites from previous ventures.
All of these pins relate to the man of the hour...and all remind me of one aspect of his life's work or his own personal interests.

Of course the BEST 'souvenirs' are the insights gifted to me..and the fabulous discoveries and experiences that were the results of such.
No materialistic possession can come close to capturing that, but these small keepsakes make for nice little reminders.

For those curious about the specifics of these pins, below i have included additional info about them.

Top Row -

Big Thunder Mountain 'stained glass' pin - Disneyland Cast Member exclusive Limited Edition of 750
Hinged pin has front with translucent 'glass', inside depicts full color scene of Attraction.

Maleficent 'steampunk' Dragon pin - Showing the fantastic float design done for WDW's 'Festival of Fantasy' Parade.

Splash Mountain 3D pin - Part of the Disneyland 'Magical Milestones' series for the 50th Anniversary of the Park in 2005
Neat pin is a 3D scene with Brer Rabbit on a spring, and velvet 'flocked' greenery behind him.

Le Château de la Belle au Bois ( Sleeping Beauty Castle ) - Disneyland Paris

Middle Row -

WED Imagineering Logo pin - Imagineer exclusive Limited Edition

Big Thunder Iron Works Logo pin - The famous 'BTM' Logo as seen on the trains

Cast Member Name Badge - early 1980s

'Nautilus' Submarine pin - Limited Edition of 250

Bottom Row -

Disneyland 'ticket book' pin - hinged pin that opens to reveal a recreation of the famous A thru E ticket book of yore.

Figment 'mountaineer' pin - Limited Edition

Indiana Jones Adventure small logo pin - with Dr. Jones dangler

Maleficent dragon pin - with neat 'green flame' metallic effect

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom