30 Days of Disney - Day 22 - most underrated movie

OSUgirl77

Bedknobs and Broomstick could easily rival Mary Poppins

I LOVE Pete's Dragon too, but other than MSEP it's all but forgotten

Oh and, once again aging myself, if you've never seen The Black Cauldron, do yourself a favor and go watch it.
I love Bedknobs and Broomsticks, although I love most of the old live action movies. Treasure Island was one of my favorites as a kid, watched it over and over.

Tobe

I don't think that WALL-E got as much love as it deserved. In fact, a lot of people have never heard of the movie.
Definitely! I was very skeptical before going to this movie. Especially when I heard there was no dialogue for the first 1/3 of the movie. I mean how is that going to work and keep you interested? I was proven absolutely wrong. The story sucked me in from the very beginning and the animation was incredible. Loved WALL-E!

Tobe

No, I'm going with Treasure Planet. Gorgeous animation and character design, and this was the first Treasure Island adaptation where Jim lets Silver go and I don't say to myself, "Jim, you're a schmuck; he played you!" In this, that ending is totally earned. Plus, Captain Amalia is AWESOME.

Agree with you on every point. I love this movie!

Magenta Panther

Disagree VERY STRONGLY about Bedknobs being the equal of Poppins. NOT EVEN CLOSE. JMHO.

I think Treasure Planet is really pretty darn good. Beautiful animation, great character design, solid story, Long John Silver as a cyborg is a triumph. I'm not sure why it didn't hit. Maybe animated sci-fi films just have a hard time at the box office or something.

Matt_Black

I think Treasure Planet is really pretty darn good. Beautiful animation, great character design, solid story, Long John Silver as a cyborg is a triumph. I'm not sure why it didn't hit. Maybe animated sci-fi films just have a hard time at the box office or something.

I don't think it was necessarily the sci-fi element (though you can count on one hand the number of successful animated sci-fi films); in part, I think it was the mash-up of pirates and sci-fi that people couldn't quite wrap their heads around. A lot of cross-genre stuff isn't always an easy sell (Cowboys vs. Aliens is another good example).

It also doesn't help that it wasn't really marketed or advertised that well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don't think that WALL-E got as much love as it deserved. In fact, a lot of people have never heard of the movie.

You are kidding. That's probably my favorite Pixar film. That and Monsters, Inc.

My vote, The Sword in the Stone. This movie, along with Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, started my life long obsession with the Arthurian legend.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You are kidding. That's probably my favorite Pixar film. That and Monsters, Inc.

My vote, The Sword in the Stone. This movie, along with Twain's Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, started my life long obsession with the Arthurian legend.

And here I am replying to my own post because I hit the Reply instead of Edit. Wanted to add Muppet Christmas Carol. Has been a Christmas Eve tradition in our house for many years now. We don't go to bed until we've finished watching it. Michael Cane is an excellent Scrooge, Kermit is Bob Cratchet, Miss Piggy his wife and Gonzo and Rizzo narrate. Try to watch it this year if you've never seen it.

Last edited:

Can we go yet?

Torn between Black Cauldron and the Rescuers Down Under. Will have to go with the latter. I just love this movie so much. The animation is gorgeous, the voice actors perfect (RIP, John Candy) and it is a nice feel good sorta enviormental movie. The only complaint I have is that the ending is abrupt, but this is probably because Disney was supposedly planning a trilogy, which would have provided more closure most likely. This was probably the prettiest movie from the Renaissance, but no one ever talks about it! Thank god it's on Netflix.
tumblr_mgoqmrru3q1qhigt0o2_500.gif

Oh and that eagle is LOVELY. Give the person that drew that an oscar.
The Black Cauldron is great too! It's major flaw I feel is the ending, but that's probably because Eisner forced himself into the editing room and started cutting scenes like a madman. The hero seems annoying at first but he ends up learning his lesson, Princess Eilowny is a very different princess, she speaks her mind and is wicked cool. The animation is also very good, probably because it's budget was huge. Oh and John Hurt and the composer for Ghostbusters.
tumblr_mg18zgymDV1qh8zmro6_r1_500.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom