Planning January trip (AP/PP Question & Transportation)

sicasun

Hi everyone!
I have a few questions, so made an account today so that I could ask :)

My boyfriend and I are heading to Orlando from Jan 2nd to Jan 6 in the new year, and plan on spending 1 day at Universal and 2 days at Disney (He has never been to either!). For Universal, we're just going to buy 1 day park hoppers and call it a day. For Disney however, since we're staying 2 days and plan to park hop between all 4 parks, the tickets are $504 for both of us after tax (eek).

Just so happens that my parents actually live in the LA area in California and are 20 minutes away from Disneyland, so I was considering a Premier Pass could be worth it if I can snatch up cheap airfare. However, if I consider getting a Premier Pass, I want to get it and use the benefits for our January trip (mainly the 20% off Alamo car rental, it's the only thing I have to do before getting to Disney). I researched the passes quite a bit, but information is kind of scattered. Is it correct that I can purchase a Regular or Premium WDW annual pass online, use the discount before hand, and then upon arrival to WDW, upgrade to Premier Pass and pay the difference?

I am also debating between my options of renting a car, or staying at a hotel that offers shuttles to both WDW and Universal (which I have found ONE of). I heard shuttles could be a nightmare, and with our short trip schedule, I'm scared it'll ruin the plans. Has anyone else ever been to both Disney and Universal in one trip? How did you transport yourself? What worked and what was terrible?

The only thing I have booked currently is our airfare (Southwest had a great deal for January). So many variables left floating around, it's driving me crazy!

EDIT/UPDATES:
  • Discovered that renting a car for someone under 25 is waaaaay too expensive. That ridiculous "young driver" fee.
  • Might buy a Premier Passport if I can workout how many more times I'm likely to go to both coasts.

Last edited:

COrunner

I have done the Disney/Universal trip and the two times we did that we rented a car. Being able to go around your schedule was a big bonus. We also stayed on WDW property so for our 2 days one time and 3 the other at Disney world we let the car sit in the hotel parking lot.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hi everyone!
I have a few questions, so made an account today so that I could ask :)

My boyfriend and I are heading to Orlando from Jan 2nd to Jan 6 in the new year, and plan on spending 1 day at Universal and 2 days at Disney (He has never been to either!). For Universal, we're just going to buy 1 day park hoppers and call it a day. For Disney however, since we're staying 2 days and plan to park hop between all 4 parks, the tickets are $504 for both of us after tax (eek).

Just so happens that my parents actually live in the LA area in California and are 20 minutes away from Disneyland, so I was considering a Premier Pass could be worth it if I can snatch up cheap airfare. However, if I consider getting a Premier Pass, I want to get it and use the benefits for our January trip (mainly the 20% off Alamo car rental, it's the only thing I have to do before getting to Disney). I researched the passes quite a bit, but information is kind of scattered. Is it correct that I can purchase a Regular or Premium WDW annual pass online, use the discount before hand, and then upon arrival to WDW, upgrade to Premier Pass and pay the difference?

I am also debating between my options of renting a car, or staying at a hotel that offers shuttles to both WDW and Universal (which I have found ONE of). I heard shuttles could be a nightmare, and with our short trip schedule, I'm scared it'll ruin the plans. Has anyone else ever been to both Disney and Universal in one trip? How did you transport yourself? What worked and what was terrible?

The only thing I have booked currently is our airfare (Southwest had a great deal for January). So many variables left floating around, it's driving me crazy!

Done both Universal and Disney in same trip and stayed on property for each to avoid parking hassle at Universal and get Uni's version of fast pass called Express Pass which came with our room. The room rates were similar due to my membership in Lowes and Amex card discount.

I'm familiar with the Premier pass but I thought that was available only through Disneyland. The Premium WDW annual pass is just for WDW only, with the addition of the water parks and other WDW attractions. Let us know what you find out about the Premier pass (I didn't see it listed on Disneyland's site the last time I looked) because I'm interested in doing the same since Disneyland doesn't give ticket discounts for DVC members.

Yes, if you purchase any of the cheaper WDW passes (week day or seasonal), you can upgrade to the next level pass at Guest Services by paying the difference. However, if I am correct about the Premier pass being available for purchase only through Disneyland, you probably won't be able to upgrade to that pass at WDW. But call Disneyland and ask. Or maybe someone from Kingdom Konsultants is monitoring this thread and can respond to that part of your question. They are an excellent travel agency with expertise in all things Disney.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
I have done the Disney/Universal trip and the two times we did that we rented a car. Being able to go around your schedule was a big bonus. We also stayed on WDW property so for our 2 days one time and 3 the other at Disney world we let the car sit in the hotel parking lot.
Yea, that's one of the plans I've been considering. Renting a car and staying at one of the cheaper hotels in between the two theme parks. I do like that Disney offers free shuttle service to the airport and all transportation within their parks, but then getting to Universal is a drag :( Cheapest Disney room is $127 around the time we're going though, which is double what I can get for other cheaper hotels...it's all a matter of number crunching it looks like.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
Done both Universal and Disney in same trip and stayed on property for each to avoid parking hassle at Universal and get Uni's version of fast pass called Express Pass which came with our room. The room rates were similar due to my membership in Lowes and Amex card discount.

I'm familiar with the Premier pass but I thought that was available only through Disneyland. The Premium WDW annual pass is just for WDW only, with the addition of the water parks and other WDW attractions. Let us know what you find out about the Premier pass (I didn't see it listed on Disneyland's site the last time I looked) because I'm interested in doing the same since Disneyland doesn't give ticket discounts for DVC members.

Yes, if you purchase any of the cheaper WDW passes (week day or seasonal), you can upgrade to the next level pass at Guest Services by paying the difference. However, if I am correct about the Premier pass being available for purchase only through Disneyland, you probably won't be able to upgrade to that pass at WDW. But call Disneyland and ask. Or maybe someone from Kingdom Konsultants is monitoring this thread and can respond to that part of your question. They are an excellent travel agency with expertise in all things Disney.
Yea I don't like the idea of parking at Universal :( If I get an AP, Disney's parking can be waived. Need to figure out if getting the pass would be worth it down the road. I do like Disney merchandise...

Per the Disney Parks website:

"Disney Premier Passports are available for purchase only at select Disney Parks locations:​
    • Disneyland Resort theme park ticket booths
    • Guest Relations windows at Walt Disney World theme parks
    • Downtown Disney area at Walt Disney World Resort"
Had to scour through the general Disney Parks website to find it :) It's a bit hidden, almost like Disney isn't trying to promote it. I'm a little sad there isn't any sort of ticket discount involved with any APs, even if it was limited to certain levels. I do suppose Disney is trying to cut down on attendance...Do you know if you can upgrade from a ticket to an AP? I feel like I've heard it before somewhere.

I will have to take a look at Kingdom Konsultants! Sounds like they could be really helpful :)

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yea I don't like the idea of parking at Universal :( If I get an AP, Disney's parking can be waived. Need to figure out if getting the pass would be worth it down the road. I do like Disney merchandise...

Per the Disney Parks website:

"Disney Premier Passports are available for purchase only at select Disney Parks locations:​
    • Disneyland Resort theme park ticket booths
    • Guest Relations windows at Walt Disney World theme parks
    • Downtown Disney area at Walt Disney World Resort"
Had to scour through the general Disney Parks website to find it :) It's a bit hidden, almost like Disney isn't trying to promote it. I'm a little sad there isn't any sort of ticket discount involved with any APs, even if it was limited to certain levels. I do suppose Disney is trying to cut down on attendance...Do you know if you can upgrade from a ticket to an AP? I feel like I've heard it before somewhere.

I will have to take a look at Kingdom Konsultants! Sounds like they could be really helpful :)

Thanks for the info on the Premier pass! I saw it a couple of years ago on the Disneyland website, but since the brouhaha over the Southern CA passes, it appeared to have disappeared. Never saw anything on the WDW website. And if I remember, it was pretty pricey - close to $1000. I agree, Disney makes it hard sometimes to find out info.

I'm confused about your comment regarding ticket discount and annual pass. The AP is your ticket...

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on the Premier pass! I saw it a couple of years ago on the Disneyland website, but since the brouhaha over the Southern CA passes, it appeared to have disappeared. Never saw anything on the WDW website. And if I remember, it was pretty pricey - close to $1000. I agree, Disney makes it hard sometimes to find out info.

I'm confused about your comment regarding ticket discount and annual pass. The AP is your ticket...
It's $1029 + tax, I believe. Pretty pricey, but worth if you visit both coasts often enough in a year. I wonder if they'll make a passport for all the Disney's across the world one day...

Oh haha, I meant that AP holders can purchase tickets at a discount for their guests, not themselves. Like maybe 2 or 3 tickets a year. Though if they're trying to decrease attendance, it won't ever happen :( oh well.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
It's $1029 + tax, I believe. Pretty pricey, but worth if you visit both coasts often enough in a year. I wonder if they'll make a passport for all the Disney's across the world one day...

Oh haha, I meant that AP holders can purchase tickets at a discount for their guests, not themselves. Like maybe 2 or 3 tickets a year. Though if they're trying to decrease attendance, it won't ever happen :( oh well.

Now wouldn't that be nice. I'd pay for it too if I was planning a trip to DLP or HK Disney. I'm visiting Disneyland next spring, in addition to the 5-6 trips we take to the World each year, so I'm happy to see that the Premier pass still exists and the pricing. I just renewed my AP for WDW. I wonder if I could upgrade to the Premier pass by paying the difference, as you mentioned. Time to call Disney and ask. Or wait until I'm at Guest Services at Downtown Disney next Monday....

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if an AP could purchase a discounted ticket for a guest - we on occasion bring one of our daughter's friends with us and some of them get sticker shock when they see the ticket prices with pass Hooper included.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
Now wouldn't that be nice. I'd pay for it too if I was planning a trip to DLP or HK Disney. I'm visiting Disneyland next spring, in addition to the 5-6 trips we take to the World each year, so I'm happy to see that the Premier pass still exists and the pricing. I just renewed my AP for WDW. I wonder if I could upgrade to the Premier pass by paying the difference, as you mentioned. Time to call Disney and ask. Or wait until I'm at Guest Services at Downtown Disney next Monday....

Yes, wouldn't it be nice if an AP could purchase a discounted ticket for a guest - we on occasion bring one of our daughter's friends with us and some of them get sticker shock when they see the ticket prices with pass Hooper included.
Yes! I would definitely get a pass that would let me go to overseas Disney. It's just another thing to hope for.
I feel like it should be possible to upgrade and pay the difference! I think I've read about several others doing so, but easiest way to an answer is to ask :) Do you live near WDW?

The ticket price is what my boyfriend's apprehensive about, so I'm paying for his ticket this time to get him to go (since he's NEVER been to a theme park, much less Disney). He's only been to Six Flags, but I don't really count that as a theme park, it's more like a permanent fair with extreme roller coasters...But because I'm paying for his ticket, I'm trying to find savings elsewhere.

Going to do some number crunching today to see what price differences my options have :)

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes! I would definitely get a pass that would let me go to overseas Disney. It's just another thing to hope for.
I feel like it should be possible to upgrade and pay the difference! I think I've read about several others doing so, but easiest way to an answer is to ask :) Do you live near WDW?

The ticket price is what my boyfriend's apprehensive about, so I'm paying for his ticket this time to get him to go (since he's NEVER been to a theme park, much less Disney). He's only been to Six Flags, but I don't really count that as a theme park, it's more like a permanent fair with extreme roller coasters...But because I'm paying for his ticket, I'm trying to find savings elsewhere.

Going to do some number crunching today to see what price differences my options have :)

I'm fortunate to live in Florida just a few hours away, so hence the frequent visits and I get the Florida resident discount price on my AP, along with the budget friendly monthly payment plan.

Since your boyfriend's only theme park reference is Six Flags (and I love your description), I'm sure he will be blown away by Disney.

As costs for this trip are what's driving his hesitation, I would recommend getting just 2 day tickets with park hopper for each of you. And Disney hasn't made it any easier by charging a higher price for Magic Kingdom tickets. Unless you think you will visit WDW more than once in a year, an annual pass isn't the most cost effective. It takes about 2 visits during the year to recoup the cost of the pass. And if you don't live in Florida, you have to pay the entire price upfront. I just renewed my annual pass - believe the Florida resident price is about $430 and I pay about $36 a month - Disney doesn't charge interest on the installment plan.

Keep us updated on your progress planning your trip. And I appreciate the info about the Premier pass. I grew up in LA, hence my screen name, and haven't been back for a visit since the mid 1980s. After retirement, my folks moved to the Bay area. So I'm excited to see the changes in Disneyland and visit California Adventures, which didn't exist when I last visited in 1983.

And tell your boyfriend not to worry - he will have the time of his life and will be thinking about how soon you will return for another visit before this vacation is over. And remind him what an awesome girlfriend he has......

:)

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
I'm fortunate to live in Florida just a few hours away, so hence the frequent visits and I get the Florida resident discount price on my AP, along with the budget friendly monthly payment plan.

Since your boyfriend's only theme park reference is Six Flags (and I love your description), I'm sure he will be blown away by Disney.

As costs for this trip are what's driving his hesitation, I would recommend getting just 2 day tickets with park hopper for each of you. And Disney hasn't made it any easier by charging a higher price for Magic Kingdom tickets. Unless you think you will visit WDW more than once in a year, an annual pass isn't the most cost effective. It takes about 2 visits during the year to recoup the cost of the pass. And if you don't live in Florida, you have to pay the entire price upfront. I just renewed my annual pass - believe the Florida resident price is about $430 and I pay about $36 a month - Disney doesn't charge interest on the installment plan.

Keep us updated on your progress planning your trip. And I appreciate the info about the Premier pass. I grew up in LA, hence my screen name, and haven't been back for a visit since the mid 1980s. After retirement, my folks moved to the Bay area. So I'm excited to see the changes in Disneyland and visit California Adventures, which didn't exist when I last visited in 1983.

And tell your boyfriend not to worry - he will have the time of his life and will be thinking about how soon you will return for another visit before this vacation is over. And remind him what an awesome girlfriend he has......

:)
So lucky! That is really nice and convenient, I'm jealous ahaha
I'm torn between whether to just buy the park hopper or to get an AP. I do think I would like to go to WDW again next winter, and possibly in the summer for the water parks, but it's hard to say and plans can fall through :( Would love to go to Disneyland while I'm back home visiting during Christmas this year, but not sure anyone if my family wants to go with me lol. And that needs a Premier Passport = A =

You'll love Disneyland! I've been every year since my family moved to California. The upgrades to California Adventure are pretty amazing (Cars Land omg). Definitely get Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers. Before FP+ was around, gosh, we had to rush to the FP booth as soon as the park opened to claim a 12pm-1pm slot! It was crazy. Other favorite ride is Indiana Jones on the other side. Don't think WDW has that one, so enjoy it!

Awww thank you! Yea, I hope he enjoys this trip.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
Crunched some numbers and found that renting a car is a no-go for me. Unfortunately, I'm still under 25, so there's an additional young driver fee, which raises the rental cost at least $100 :( Taxis cost similarly.

Based on this, I'm probably going to book a Value Resort room at Disney to use their airport transport and buses within Disney. For the one day we're going to Universal, I might buy the tickets through Dreams Unlimited for the roundtrip shuttle from Disney to Universal. Would cost an additional $40 on top of Universal tickets, but beats paying for a taxi.

Just realized that I did say I'm going home for Christmas...I can just buy a Premier Passport there if I wanted to before our January trip, and then go in that day for Christmas fun. But $1029 :( Maybe I'll just get everyone's Xmas gifts from the store ahaha

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Crunched some numbers and found that renting a car is a no-go for me. Unfortunately, I'm still under 25, so there's an additional young driver fee, which raises the rental cost at least $100 :( Taxis cost similarly.

Based on this, I'm probably going to book a Value Resort room at Disney to use their airport transport and buses within Disney. For the one day we're going to Universal, I might buy the tickets through Dreams Unlimited for the roundtrip shuttle from Disney to Universal. Would cost an additional $40 on top of Universal tickets, but beats paying for a taxi.

Just realized that I did say I'm going home for Christmas...I can just buy a Premier Passport there if I wanted to before our January trip, and then go in that day for Christmas fun. But $1029 :( Maybe I'll just get everyone's Xmas gifts from the store ahaha

Or you could ask Santa for a Premier pass for Christmas, just saying....

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
So lucky! That is really nice and convenient, I'm jealous ahaha
I'm torn between whether to just buy the park hopper or to get an AP. I do think I would like to go to WDW again next winter, and possibly in the summer for the water parks, but it's hard to say and plans can fall through :( Would love to go to Disneyland while I'm back home visiting during Christmas this year, but not sure anyone if my family wants to go with me lol. And that needs a Premier Passport = A =

You'll love Disneyland! I've been every year since my family moved to California. The upgrades to California Adventure are pretty amazing (Cars Land omg). Definitely get Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers. Before FP+ was around, gosh, we had to rush to the FP booth as soon as the park opened to claim a 12pm-1pm slot! It was crazy. Other favorite ride is Indiana Jones on the other side. Don't think WDW has that one, so enjoy it!

Awww thank you! Yea, I hope he enjoys this trip.

Yeah, I've gotten spoiled by some of the extras WDW has, like both morning and evening Extra Magic Hours and more frequent resort discounts. Does the Premier pass include the water parks at WDW? Only the Premium WDW pass includes the water parks, otherwise you pay for them separately.

No, don't tell me Disneyland now has FP+!!!!!!! We thought only WDW had it and Disneyland will still using the old paper system.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
Yeah, I've gotten spoiled by some of the extras WDW has, like both morning and evening Extra Magic Hours and more frequent resort discounts. Does the Premier pass include the water parks at WDW? Only the Premium WDW pass includes the water parks, otherwise you pay for them separately.

No, don't tell me Disneyland now has FP+!!!!!!! We thought only WDW had it and Disneyland will still using the old paper system.
The extra magic hours sounds amazing! Are the parks a lot more empty? Or do quite a few people use it?
I do believe the Premier passport includes the water parks. It's kind of the premium of both DL and WDW put together :)

Oh, I'm sorry! I think Disneyland still has the old fastpasses. I thought they had implemented them throughout all parks, since I haven't been to Disneyland since 2013. Well, better race to the Radiator Springs Racers FP booth :) It's not anywhere near Carsland which makes it confusing.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
The extra magic hours sounds amazing! Are the parks a lot more empty? Or do quite a few people use it?
I do believe the Premier passport includes the water parks. It's kind of the premium of both DL and WDW put together :)

Oh, I'm sorry! I think Disneyland still has the old fastpasses. I thought they had implemented them throughout all parks, since I haven't been to Disneyland since 2013. Well, better race to the Radiator Springs Racers FP booth :) It's not anywhere near Carsland which makes it confusing.

I've never done early EMHs - I'm on vacation and that means sleeping in - but given the high demand attractions like the Anna and Elsa M&G and the newly implemented return time for lunch at Be Our Guest (think the paper fast pass system), the early EMH at the Magic Kingdom has become very popular, so I'm told. I usually don't last much past 1:00am for the evening EMH, but by then the crowd has thinned significantly.

Thanks for the heads up about Radiator Springs. That sounds like rope drop at the Magic Kingdom to get to the Anna and Elsa M&G before Disney changed the process - now Cast Members walk a rope down Main Street with guests behind the rope. Apparently people were running through the shops to get to Fairytale Hall in order to be first in line. There's a YouTube video someone posted of the stamped. Go look at it, it's a little disturbing.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
Ahahaaha now that would be something :happy:

And you could thank them for the wonderful gift by going to Disneyland on Christmas Day and getting them lots of nice gifts from the Park. After all, the next day is Boxing Day.

Upvote 0

sicasun

Original Poster
I've never done early EMHs - I'm on vacation and that means sleeping in - but given the high demand attractions like the Anna and Elsa M&G and the newly implemented return time for lunch at Be Our Guest (think the paper fast pass system), the early EMH at the Magic Kingdom has become very popular, so I'm told. I usually don't last much past 1:00am for the evening EMH, but by then the crowd has thinned significantly.

Thanks for the heads up about Radiator Springs. That sounds like rope drop at the Magic Kingdom to get to the Anna and Elsa M&G before Disney changed the process - now Cast Members walk a rope down Main Street with guests behind the rope. Apparently people were running through the shops to get to Fairytale Hall in order to be first in line. There's a YouTube video someone posted of the stamped. Go look at it, it's a little disturbing.
Ohhh I see! I have heard that Anna and Elsa are really popular = v = Lucky for me, I don't particularly care of them ahaha. Definitely going to try and catch Tiana and Naveen!

You're welcome :) When I went to Disneyland during xmas 2012, back when Cars Land first opened, we waited 3 long hours in the regular line. It was the WORST. Even the single rider line can go up to an hour sometimes.
I will definitely have to go watch that D: And I'll be sure to avoid the crown going towards Elsa and Anna, geez.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom