The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

prberk

Wow, another name change -- I think it's embarrassing. They should just call it Walt Disney Studios or Disney Studios and be done with it. I don't know what else you can possibly call it. It's funny how Universal and Busch Gardens and every other theme park has never had to change their name. It seems so odd to me.

And also, I know the tacky BAH is slated for demolition but I do *not* like the idea of the Chinese theater as the landmark of the park -- it really needs to be something Disney and eye catching.

1jp6ja.jpg

I'm sorry but this is a Hollywood icon not Disney. And, the water tower is just blah!

I kind of see your point but Epcot, DHS, and DAK are not really valid experiences -- because they're not complete parks, at least not yet. For me, there is not enough in those parks by themselves to warrant a trip to WDW. MK is my favorite, AK is a close second, DHS is third, and Epcot is last, imo. The other parks are wonderful put pale in comparison to MK. The "Disney Parks" thing does annoy me though, it just lacks something.

Actually EPCOT is a complete experience, maybe not your favorite, but a park that would take more than a day to do everything within.

The entire front half of the park outside ToT and the Hat is composed of Hollywood iconography and architecture. Every building has a specific origin in an actual location in Hollywood and that whole part of LA.

I agree. The Hollywood iconography is more than appropriate there, and was well done before the BAH got in the way. Google the Crossroads of the World in Hollywood, the Brown Derby, and other things in the area.

The thing is that they first designed this park to be a take on classic Hollywood in the front, yielding to experiences in the rest of it that spring from movies. If they remember that, they can re-energize the park in a spectacular way. "The movies" always provides a great template, and yes, can include "Star Wars" and other film properties.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I kind of see your point but Epcot, DHS, and DAK are not really valid experiences -- because they're not complete parks, at least not yet. For me, there is not enough in those parks by themselves to warrant a trip to WDW. MK is my favorite, AK is a close second, DHS is third, and Epcot is last, imo. The other parks are wonderful put pale in comparison to MK. The "Disney Parks" thing does annoy me though, it just lacks something.

EPCOT, in spite of it being "dumbed down" over the past decade, is VERY much a complete experience, ESPECIALLY for first time visitors.

asianway

DisneyParks and One Disney are actually two separate initiatives. DisneyParks was the first, forward facing initiative that sought common branding and experiences between the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World. One Disney came after and is focused on back of house areas that probably could have used a lot of reduction. Do you really need a completely separate payroll department in California when computers can now instantly send all of that information to Florida where you already need a significantly larger staff? I even see the wisdom in there just being one Jungle Cruise or Big Thunder Mountain Railroad costume.
As long as the jungle cruise costume isn't the Kilmamjaro Safari one I can live with it. Tokyo still has the real one thank god

lazyboy97o

Wow, another name change -- I think it's embarrassing. They should just call it Walt Disney Studios or Disney Studios and be done with it. I don't know what else you can possibly call it. It's funny how Universal and Busch Gardens and every other theme park has never had to change their name. It seems so odd to me.

And also, I know the tacky BAH is slated for demolition but I do *not* like the idea of the Chinese theater as the landmark of the park -- it really needs to be something Disney and eye catching.

1jp6ja.jpg

I'm sorry but this is a Hollywood icon not Disney. And, the water tower is just blah!

The Chinese Theater IS Disney because Disney built it as part of a park experience.

Siren

Busch Gardens has changed its name several times. Throughout its history, the park has been called Busch Gardens: The Dark Continent, Busch Gardens Africa, and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay. Even Universal has changed the name of its entire resort a few times.

Not saying it's not embarrassing that Disney can't seem to figure out a name for the park, just that it is not without precedent for a major theme park to change its name.
LOL, this made laugh because I do remember the Busch Gardens commercials faintly. I suppose I never registered the last part of the names, but the Busch Gardens part stuck with me. I've never been to Busch Gardens before, but hope to see it eventually. I'm surprised that Universal changed their name too -- I've never noticed so it must have been subtle, lol. I know people who still refer to DHS as MGM -- I preferred MGM, too.

Siren

The entire front half of the park outside ToT and the Hat is composed of Hollywood iconography and architecture. Every building has a specific origin in an actual location in Hollywood and that whole part of LA.
Then, why the name change? Unless it's Disney's California Studios. To be honest, "Disney's Hollywood Studios" doesn't sound right, to put it mildly -- but, at least I "get it." I don't like the idea of ToT as the park icon either, it's too gruesome looking. I love the turnstiles but they are not unique to DHS. So maybe the tall sculpture with the Mickey Mouse on the sphere could work. You can see it right behind the turnstiles.

2ptzc09.jpg

Actually EPCOT is a complete experience, maybe not your favorite, but a park that would take more than a day to do everything within.
I totally agree that Epcot is a complete park.

Siren

The Chinese Theater IS Disney because Disney built it as part of a park experience.
I totally agree with you. It's just that I can see this confusing people. Whenever, I see the Chinese Theater, I think of Hollywood -- not, Disney and the Great Movie Ride in FL -- but I guess that's what Disney is going for. The theater is so gorgeous, but it just doesn't feel like "Disney", to me.

wvpgso.jpg

MerlinTheGoat

Not everything has to "feel like Disney" to work in a Disney park. Some of the best Disney parks (along with their scenery and attractions) are ones that make you almost forget about Disney and the things you normally associate specifically with the company. To me that's actually a really cool thing when done properly (and GMR did it right), it allows for another level of originality beyond just building a new park or ride based solely on Disney IP's. Distinguishing themselves beyond the various mice, princesses and other whimsy you're accustomed to to create something more unique. DisneySea is a good example (yes i know there are some Disney IP's scattered but the place as whole is unique and different from normal Disney offerings), and the original EPCOT from the 80's for that matter (before the mid 90's when characters invaded). And in spite of its incomplete nature and occasional attractions based off Disney cartoons, Animal Kingdom kind of caters towards being different from what one would expect from Disney as well (and its own Tree of Life icon).

I'd say that disregarding the many decades that people have had to become accustomed to it, even Disneyland was filled with a number of experiences that felt distinct and different than what people had come to expect from Disney entertainment prior to the park's existence (putting a European castle at the end of the road of a middle American town was a very unusual idea at the time). At one point in time, the Mickey Mouse Club as well as The World of Color TV programs were somewhat of a departure from the feature length animated movies and Mickey Mouse shorts people were used to.

To an extent I am comfortable with Disney building different and even unusual things you wouldn't normally associate with the company. It shows a level of creativity that has become very uncommon as of late for Disney. As long as it's done with the spirit of creativity and quality that Walt Disney built his company around in the first place. And it takes a lot of skill and good judgement to pull off correctly. The Great Movie Ride and its Chinese Theater facade definitely fit right in with those requirements and it's quite a worthy icon.

Last edited:

parker4fm

I would venture to say Magic Kingdom in WDW is not complete when you pair it against Disneyland. So much wasted space and not enough attractions. Compare Fantasyland in both parks and you'll be shocked.

HDS

Something I just realized....
Of Walt Disney's 6 US parks, DHS is the only park where the main entrance isn't facing North or South (DAK is slightly west off north)

Think about it:
Disneyland Park- North
California Adventure- South
Magic Kingdom- North
EPCOT- South
Animal Kingdom- Slightly Off North
Hollywood Studios- South West
That explains it! It has ah bad flow of Chi and Qi!

mahnamahna101

I would venture to say Magic Kingdom in WDW is not complete when you pair it against Disneyland. So much wasted space and not enough attractions. Compare Fantasyland in both parks and you'll be shocked.
Yeah Adventureland lacks a thrill ride, Frontierland could use a dark ride, Fantasyland is a little underwhelming, Tomorrowland is a huge missed opportunity.

No reason MK shouldn't eventually equal DL's attraction count.

mahnamahna101

Or even surpass it. The park is bigger after all.
Adventureland - if they reworked Jungle Cruise and the backstage areas... Fire Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and an Aladdin mini-land could probably all fit in. It'd get rid of the crowded Carpets area, give Adventureland its own mountain and allow Star Wars to take over the Indy stunt show building (new show of course). 3 (Carpets aren't new)

Frontierland - Assuming they fix the bottleneck by Big Thunder and possibly rework backstage, utilidors and RoA... I could see a family dark ride and an E-ticket. 2

Liberty Square - reworking RoA/TSI might allow some sort of new attraction. 1

Fantasyland - Using the new section of Frontierland and reworked backstage space behind IASW/Mermaid, I could see Neverland, Wonderland, Bald Mountain, something themed to Jack and the Beanstalk (seems perfect for ToT 2.0 IMO), Pleasure Island and a B&TB dark ride all fitting. Not to mention a fully realized Dumbo's Circus once Barnstormer is relocated (rethemed to Caterpillar). 100 Acre Wood gets a mini-land. Speedway is bulldozed to end theme intrusion. A Mary Poppins dark ride takes over PPF's old building. Philharmagic stays. Princess Fairytale Hall relocated, and a Sleeping Beauty/Maleficent dark ride takes its place. 10-12

Tomorrowland -
bulldoze the Speedway and build behind it and Space Mountain... might even be able to fit something by CoP. 4-5

20-23
is about the maximum I could see in terms of actually adding attractions to MK.

Of course this is really off-topic lol :Dback to DHS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom