Speechless at Disneyland Resort Trip Report

disney4life2008

Original Poster
If you are like me - you love finales - for me - Fantasmic! both coasts finale's were number 1. However, World of Color of finale has knocked down Fantasmic!. Photos give it no justice - so check out the video I did on my s5 phone. When I say World of Color was amazing - I have played this video no less than 5 times a day lol. You have to experience it - this is worth the trip alone to DLR.

OSUgirl77

Love this TR, and the photos are great! Glad you finally got to experience the magic of DL as an adult! One of my favorite differences between it and WDW is that they still have the characters out and about, and not stuck in a building for FP meet & greets. I hope you get to go back someday to experience everything you missed, there really is so much to see and do. :)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
2014-10-21%2000.07.20.jpg
My one day experience at The Disneyland Resort was spectacular. I am officially converted - there are no comparisons between both coasts. I will say this - WDW is very much so about materialistic consumption and following business models from the moment you stay foot on their property. What I appreciated about DLR is that the business was not in your face. Instead of hovering items at you - they made you want to buy them just because of a genuine smile on their face. Everyone at the entire resort was congenial and cared about me as a guest. That ethic of care at WDW has slowly been eliminated over the years and even I have questioned does the magic really live at WDW still? I can attest - the magic is in full force at DLR and it was truly one of the best disney vacations (well day) I have ever had.

WOW - this was my first trip report!!! And thank you to the WDW veterans forum I would not have been able to have such a enjoyable day without that FAQ.

Last edited:

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
If you are like me - you love finales - for me - Fantasmic! both coasts finale's were number 1. However, World of Color of finale has knocked down Fantasmic!. Photos give it no justice - so check out the video I did on my s5 phone. When I say World of Color was amazing - I have played this video no less than 5 times a day lol. You have to experience it - this is worth the trip alone to DLR.

I've watched so many clips from WOC and it looks cool, I still haven't seen it in person. Hopefully on my next trip.

GiveMeTheMusic

Um, did you smack the annoying AP who was singing along off-key near you? Because I would have.

Also, glad you got to see the original show - it'll be pretty much all new next summer.

TP2000

During the restroom portion of your report, I imagined all the bathrooms you passed by in the different lands. Haha.

I was doing the same thing. I think I counted four restrooms that @disney4life2008 passed on just the western half of the park. But obviously the magic of Disneyland had a calling that was stronger than nature. :D

It's a shame you are in Tomorrowland. You'll never hear a Disneylander recommend any eatery in Tomorrowland for dining.

Agreed. The saddest thing is that Tomorrowland food has been that way for decades. I distinctly remember having really gross cheeseburgers at Tomorrowland Terrace in the 1980's. They've actually gotten a bit better since then, but are still clearly the weakest link in Disneyland's food chain.

TP2000

View attachment 71231 My one day experience at The Disneyland Resort was spectacular. I am officially converted - there are no comparisons between both coasts. I will say this - WDW is very much so about materialistic consumption and following business models from the moment you stay foot on their property. What I appreciated about DLR is that the business was not in your face. Instead of hovering items at you - they made you want to buy them just because of a genuine smile on their face. Everyone at the entire resort was congenial and cared about me as a guest. That ethic of care at WDW has slowly been eliminated over the years and even I have questioned does the magic really live at WDW still? I can attest - the magic is in full force at DLR and it was truly one of the best disney vacations (well day) I have ever had.

Bravo! You just summed up in that one paragraph what so many of us that have visited both coasts recently feel, both about Disneyland and WDW.

And yes, they are very different properties physically and logistically and operationally. But there is a vibe of hospitality and caring and showmanship at Disneyland that once existed at WDW, but in Florida it seems to have been drained away by a soulless and dreadfully out of touch corporate committee hunkered down somewhere in the Team Disney Orlando building.

Is everything perfect at Disneyland? No. Are there some really neat things still left at WDW? Yes.

But overall, your TR sums up perfectly the current state of operations at Disneyland and it's obvious and most glaring comparisons to the current state of WDW. Congrats to you for having such a critical eye! And thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos with us here.

I'm so glad to hear your trip to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom was a fun one, and that it successfully showed you there is a Disney world beyond Disney World. ;)

Last edited:

OSUgirl77

Bravo! You just summed up in that one paragraph what so many of us that have visited both coasts recently feel, both about Disneyland and WDW.

And yes, they are very different properties physically and logistically and operationally. But there is a vibe of hospitality and caring and showmanship at Disneyland that once existed at WDW, but in Florida it seems to have been drained away by a soulless and dreadfully out of touch corporate committee hunkered down somewhere in the Team Disney Orlando building.

Is everything perfect at Disneyland? No. Are there some really neat things still left at WDW? Yes.

But overall, your TR sums up perfectly the current state of operations at Disneyland and it's obvious and most glaring comparisons to the current state of WDW. Congrats to you for having such a critical eye! And thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and photos with us here.

I'm so glad to hear your trip to Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom was a fun one, and successfully showed you there is a Disney world beyond Disney World. ;)
Well said. :)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Can't wait to read more! We are finally going to DL. It's been 25 years since I have been, and my wife and kids never have gone before! May can't come soon enough!

I think the 60th starts somewhere during that time frame - you are doing to have an amazing time. Do you know where you still stay yet?

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Congrats on the smart choice to visit the superior Disney Parks US destination. Now, go forth and tell everyone you know that when it comes to a Disney vacation these days - head West for manifest destiny.

I will admit - if you want a "real" disney experience DRL is where it is at. But if I was rich I would still need to do both in a calendar year. There are some things at WDW that I can not get at DL and vice versa.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
It's too bad you didn't ride ToT, it is a bit different than the DHS version, and has a more hurky-jerky quality to it. The rest of the rides are about the same that you mentioned though. Soarin' is looking pretty shabby lately anyway. The film and/or screen is awful. And you're TOTALLY right about the River Rapids ride differences. AK's feels like you're in a kiddie pool compared to DCA's, not to mention the ride legth is laughable at AK.

I've been fortunate enough to be stationed out here on the west coast for about 4 years and able to appreciate DL multiple times a year, and have to say MANY rides/attractions far outdo their WDW counterparts. I grew up going to WDW and didn't see DL until my early 30's, so it was a hard pill to swallow at first thinking that DL had more quality put into their rides than WDW. There's magic in both parks though, don't get me wrong. We still love going to WDW. But our next trip won't be till 2016 when a majority of the changes/upgrades are complete.

One thing that was nice at DLR was how they treat AP - they must get a discount at most restaurants. Also, it seems that the bulk of their attendance is APs and local residents - they are faithful to DLR. I have read this for years but never knew what it meant until I went to the parks. Its like if you live in LA - if you say you have an AP that puts you in a whole different category of respect (guest wise). At WDW - I have an AP for 6 years and excluding the great room discounts - all I get is a bumper sticker.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Love this TR, and the photos are great! Glad you finally got to experience the magic of DL as an adult! One of my favorite differences between it and WDW is that they still have the characters out and about, and not stuck in a building for FP meet & greets. I hope you get to go back someday to experience everything you missed, there really is so much to see and do. :)

Above anything - that was the most glaring difference. I have not seen Mickey or Minnie on Main Street at MK in years. And at DLR - they were free to walk a few steps. There was no security (besides the handlers). DLR could use a good 2 full days - I would not need a full day at DCA but DRL could use a day and a half (if not two full days). I could go there just for the amazing food :)

disney4life2008

Original Poster
During the restroom portion of your report, I imagined all the bathrooms you passed by in the different lands. Haha.

It's a shame you are in Tomorrowland. You'll never hear a Disneylander recommend any eatery in Tomorrowland for dining.

Glad you had a good time. You took some great photos.

LOL I needed a restroom so bad but everything else took precedence haha. Looking at the MK map now I see where they were all located. I had a park map but I do not like being glued to maps and technology - I like to get lost and figure things out on my own - I am weird like that :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom