Speechless at Disneyland Resort Trip Report

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_090902.jpg
On Thursday, October 16, 2014 I visited The Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, CA - and all I can say is WOW. This was the most amazing day I have ever spent at any Disney theme park coast to coast. I was staying downtown LA - ironically, I was on the fence about going to DLR through about 7am that morning. Then around 730am I said I have nothing else to do- I will go to disneyland.

The drive from downtown LA to Anaheim at 730am was literally about 40 minutes. I was at the parking garage by 845am and to the theme park plaza (the area between DL and DCA) by 910am. I purchased a one day hopper for $150 - this was well worth the money for the day I had in store. As a backdrop - this was my first time at DL since I was five in the late 80s.

As a Disney World expert and someone who travels to DW no less than once a year from Chicago - I immediately began going comparisons. Right off - I was amazing at how clean everything was. Literally, spotless - this was the entire day - both parks everywhere.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
Thanks to to the WDW Veterans for DLR forum - I knew to go to DCA first. That was the best decision I could have made. Unlike WDW - I knew nothing about DL or DCA - I never took the time to plan anything outside of asking a few prep questions. I wanted as much as possible everything to be a surprise.

First stop was Radiator Spring Racers. The standby wait was 45 minutes; single was 25 minutes. Headed for the single line. All I can say is WOW - this attraction from start to finish probably ranks in my top 3 from coast to coast. Think Test Track but 100 percent better - everything from the design, the cars, the track, the scenery - it was the most amazing attraction I have ever been on. YouTube does not give this ride justice - it can only be experienced in person.
20141016_090915.jpg
20141016_095801.jpg

Next I walked through Bugs Land and checked out Its Tough to be a Bug. It was a nice to see this from AK. I was mindful of my time because I knew I wanted to be at DL by 1130am so I quickly walked through DCA to the Pier area. I was not interested in Tower of Terror, Muppets, or TSMM as I can ride those at WDW. However, the smell of seaside food - clam chowder and bread overcame me - I stopped and looked but did not eat. I knew a better meal was in store later so I kept trekking.

I arrived at Mermaid Under the Sea. I am one of the WDW biggest critiques - I hate it there. But WOW at DCA. Everything from the outside to the inside including the attraction from start to finish was simply amazing. I know its the same ride but something here was just spot on. It was cleaner, smoother, and made sense. Its hard to explain - but DCA version is vastly better than Magic Kingdom.

The Paradise Pier area of DCA is amazing - the view from the waterside with the coaster and wheel as a backdrop just made me feel warm inside - If I had the time I would have sat on the bench and people watched - it was that calming.
20141016_102019.jpg

I did not get on the coaster nor the wheel - the waits were not that bad I think 10 to 15 minutes. But having read that the coaster is like RNRC and the wheel not only turns but swings I figured it was best to just observe :p

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_104451.jpg
Next I rode Goofy's Sky School and was blown away. It reminded me of the ride at AK in the Dinosaur area - similar set up but the DCA version was literally like a roller coaster with drops, leaps, and bounds - it was amazing. I was worried that I would not fit as the seats were small but I fit right in (which was the case for 100 percent of rides I rode at both parks).

After sky school I ran into this fella :jawdrop:
20141016_111332.jpg

I then walked to Grizzly River Run - again, another comparison to AK raft ride. All I can say is WOW we are getting jipped at AK. River Run was a REAL RAFT RIDE - everything about the attraction is what the AK version should be. This ride blew me away - and I walked away soaked but was dry in 20 minutes after. Again, YouTube does not give it justice. If I had the time I would have rode this three times it was that great. And the wait was only 5 minutes.

Before leaving the area - I knew to get my World of Color fast pass - more on that later.

I bypassed Soarin (not a fan at WDW and was not wasting time here). I was out of DCA and back in the theme park plaza by 1045am headed literally a few steps to the place that started it all... Disneyland.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I did not get the chills or emotions at DCA - while I thought the park was amazing - it was like being at Epcot, HS, and AK - just in one park. However, when I entered the gates of DL - I literally started ballin crying. Why this happened - I have no idea besides my love for Disney and to finally walk into DL - it was a very emotional experience.

The area between the gates (yes real gates I loved it haha) and the photo above is very small unlike MK. What loved about the entrance to DL is that it is very comforting and welcoming.

I walked under the tunnel and entered Main Street. Here come those tears again - I do not know why I was so emotional. I just stopped for about 10 minutes and observed everything. I could not believe I was at Disneyland. A key observation right off the bat was that Mickey, Minnie and friends were right in the circle area of adjacent to the train. It reminded me of how the characters used to roam freely at the MK. The lines were not 500 hours either. What was even more shocking - I saw Mickey twice in less than 30 minutes in two different parks haha.

20141016_111836.jpg
20141016_112030.jpg
20141016_112121.jpg
20141016_112245.jpg

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
2014-10-23 11.13.00.jpg
Walking down Main Street was surreal. The first glance of the sleeping beauty castle - I immediately thought- this is it? It is so small and quaint. I had the same feelings about Main Street - it is so small. You understand the biases I bring from Magic Kingdom where everything I big and over the top. The castle was not enormous and did not capture my attention like Cinderella's castle; however, I loved the ambiance and experiencing it.
20141016_112820.jpg
20141016_112927.jpg

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_115136.jpg
I knew exactly what I wanted for lunch but that place did not serve until noon. So I headed over to Adventureland and watched the Tiki Room - outstanding show. I also liked the differences to the MK version. I was tempted to get a dole whip - you can bring those into the show - its right outside the door but I choose not to. I did not want to spoil the "so called" amazing lunch I was in store for.

It was now 1150am - I headed over to The Plaza Inn. All I knew prior to was the this place has the best fried chicken ever. A line began to develop at the entrance - I was 3rd in line. Suddenly, I could smell fried chicken, veggies, pot roast - YUM :eek:

We were allowed to enter a few minutes earlier than noon. It was spotless and the decor was immaculate. It reminded me of the old victorian era - it was that beautiful. I opted for the fried chicken - I do not like dark meat so they gave me all white (2 with a wing attached), veggies, and mashed potatoes and biscuit. Next I waited to get my cup and was surprised to see a self serve fountain machine. I was blown away - I could get my diet coke? lol. My meal total came to $21. Next I got my utensils - and it was REAL silverwear - did I mention that we got real plates. I was in heaven, lol. I do not get treated this good at any CS at WDW. Check out this neat fountain machine (yes - I could drink as much coke as I wanted while I enjoyed my lunch).
20141016_120403.jpg
20141016_121043.jpg

EXCEPTIONAL - EXEMPLARY - OUTSTANDING!

This was quite possibly the best meal I have ever had EVER (period). I love fried chicken and know when its good or bad - this exceeded my expectations. The seasonings, the crisp of the skin, the tender and juice of the meat - OMG it was simply divine. The potatoes were perfect as was the veggies. The Plaza Inn has skyrocketed to my number 1 restaurant of any disney park coast to coast.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_143831.jpg
20141016_145441.jpg
20141016_145448.jpg
20141016_145512.jpg
20141016_150554.jpg
After lunch I was stuffed. I wanted nothing more than to go back to my hotel room and go to sleep. I forgot - my room was 45 minutes away in LA lol. So I pushed on. I ended up Jungle Cruise (as a point of reference - nearly every attraction at DL has stairs in the que - up and down - which on a full stomach is no good lol). Jungle Cruise was fun and relaxing.

Next I did Indiana Jones (65 minute standby - 30 minute single). I did single - one of the longest que's ever - it seemed to never end. However, the attraction was phenomenal (think Dinosaur at AK but 100 percent better). This ride easily is top 5 coast to coast.

After Indy I ended up in New Orleans Square for Pirates (65 minute standby). The ride had closed earlier in the day which resulted in a long line now. I choose to wait. Not again - I was overcome by the smell of food in every direction - seafood, chicken, meats, soups - the horror - especially on a full stomach lol. I finally get on Pirates - to compare the DL version to MK is unfair - there is no comparison. MK should just shut down. I was blown away to the attention to detail, theme and how long this attraction was - it felt like 20 minutes.

After Pirates - I began looking for restrooms - there are none. I had the hardest time finding restrooms the entire day at DL - they must be hidden - so I pushed forward. I saw Club 33 though. Next I ended up at Haunted Mansion - another 65 minute wait. I was excited to see the Tim Burton overlay.

Haunted Mansion was amazing - the elevator going down (I think we were moving at least was a nice surprise). Madame in the glass ball looked the same but the entire script was changed to Tim Burton. I loved it - what fun.

Last edited:

JediMasterMatt

I arrived at Mermaid Under the Sea. I am one of the WDW biggest critiques - I hate it there. But WOW at DCA. Everything from the outside to the inside including the attraction from start to finish was simply amazing. I know its the same ride but something here was just spot on. It was cleaner, smoother, and made sense. Its hard to explain - but DCA version is vastly better than Magic Kingdom.

This is because DCA's Mermaid got half of a rumored 2 part upgrade to bring the show quality of this value engineered attraction more in line with what we should expect out of Disney Parks. The main differences in this version are the vastly improved lighting (especially in the Under the Sea sequence) and a few plusses here and there.

The 2nd phase is supposed to be a reworking of the ending.

Orlando "should" get phase I in a few months... but, until it happens - I won't believe it.

Congrats on the smart choice to visit the superior Disney Parks US destination. Now, go forth and tell everyone you know that when it comes to a Disney vacation these days - head West for manifest destiny.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_163757.jpg
20141016_163801.jpg
20141016_165612.jpg
20141016_165752.jpg
20141016_171659.jpg
20141016_171832.jpg
Still no restroom in sight so I kept on trekking. I ended up in Critter Country for Splash Mountain (70 minute standby - about 40 minute single). I could have bypassed this one - especially after being on the incredible Grizzly River Run at DCA - but it was a nice soaker. I anticipated a restroom like MK version - still none so I kept going haha. I bypassed Pooh (similiar to MK).

Finally, a restroom at and more food smells from the Mexican place Rancho something. I wanted so bad to eat more food but figured that would slow me down as the day had come and gone - it was already nearing 430pm and the park closes at 9pm. I skipped BTMR and all of Frontierland and headed to Fantasyland.

First I rode Pinocchio - I was reminded of what the MK was like when they actually had dark rides. I cried on Snow White (Mine Train - what? haha). Mr. Toad was so much fun. I skipped all the other MK versions and headed to Its A Small World. WOW is all I can. Yet again, this ride felt like 30 minutes and the MK version should just shut down. It was that amazing.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
After It's A Small World - I got in line for Alice (another dark ride) but the line was 50 minutes. I opted to skip it and go for Matterhorn (60 minute standby - about 20 minute solo). Think Expedition Everest but with EE winning this round. I loved Matterhorn though - it was very rocky (a very tight fit though - I barely was able to get on).
20141016_113041.jpg

By this time it was nearing 6pm and people were starting to line up for the 7pm parade. I was also kind of hungry so I headed over to tomorrowland - the place I went to was disgusting. I should have trekked back to New Orleans Square or the Mexican place.

I opted to skip Space Mountain and the other tomorrowland attractions (I figure I will save something for next time). Next up was the Mickey's Soundsational Parade.
20141016_190102.jpg
20141016_191629.jpg
20141016_192254.jpg
20141016_192329.jpg
20141016_192404.jpg
20141016_192437.jpg
20141016_192635.jpg

disney4life2008

Original Poster
The day was far from over. It was now 745pm and World of Color over at DCA started at 815pm. I took my last few steps around Main Street (yes the smell of fresh popcorn is the same haha). Upon leaving - I almost forgot about the light over the firestation - I would have been livid had I forgot about that.
20141016_193648.jpg

Terrible photo - but it was the best I could get on exit.

20141016_193552.jpg
20141016_193645.jpg
20141016_193855.jpg
20141016_193914.jpg
20141016_193953.jpg

rle4lunch

Thanks to to the WDW Veterans for DLR forum - I knew to go to DCA first. That was the best decision I could have made. Unlike WDW - I knew nothing about DL or DCA - I never took the time to plan anything outside of asking a few prep questions. I wanted as much as possible everything to be a surprise.

First stop was Radiator Spring Racers. The standby wait was 45 minutes; single was 25 minutes. Headed for the single line. All I can say is WOW - this attraction from start to finish probably ranks in my top 3 from coast to coast. Think Test Track but 100 percent better - everything from the design, the cars, the track, the scenery - it was the most amazing attraction I have ever been on. YouTube does not give this ride justice - it can only be experienced in person.
View attachment 71138 View attachment 71139

Next I walked through Bugs Land and checked out Its Tough to be a Bug. It was a nice to see this from AK. I was mindful of my time because I knew I wanted to be at DL by 1130am so I quickly walked through DCA to the Pier area. I was not interested in Tower of Terror, Muppets, or TSMM as I can ride those at WDW. However, the smell of seaside food - clam chowder and bread overcame me - I stopped and looked but did not eat. I knew a better meal was in store later so I kept trekking.

The Paradise Pier area of DCA is amazing - the view from the waterside with the coaster and wheel as a backdrop just made me feel warm inside - If I had the time I would have sat on the bench and people watched - it was that calming.View attachment 71140

I did not get on the coaster nor the wheel - the waits were not that bad I think 10 to 15 minutes. But having read that the coaster is like RNRC and the wheel not only turns but swings I figured it was best to just observe :p

It's too bad you didn't ride ToT, it is a bit different than the DHS version, and has a more hurky-jerky quality to it. The rest of the rides are about the same that you mentioned though. Soarin' is looking pretty shabby lately anyway. The film and/or screen is awful. And you're TOTALLY right about the River Rapids ride differences. AK's feels like you're in a kiddie pool compared to DCA's, not to mention the ride legth is laughable at AK.

I've been fortunate enough to be stationed out here on the west coast for about 4 years and able to appreciate DL multiple times a year, and have to say MANY rides/attractions far outdo their WDW counterparts. I grew up going to WDW and didn't see DL until my early 30's, so it was a hard pill to swallow at first thinking that DL had more quality put into their rides than WDW. There's magic in both parks though, don't get me wrong. We still love going to WDW. But our next trip won't be till 2016 when a majority of the changes/upgrades are complete.

rle4lunch

After It's A Small World - I got in line for Alice (another dark ride) but the line was 50 minutes. I opted to skip it and go for Matterhorn (60 minute standby - about 20 minute solo). Think Expedition Everest but with EE winning this round. I loved Matterhorn though - it was very rocky (a very tight fit though - I barely was able to get on). View attachment 71189

By this time it was nearing 6pm and people were starting to line up for the 7pm parade. I was also kind of hungry so I headed over to tomorrowland - the place I went to was disgusting. I should have trekked back to New Orleans Square or the Mexican place.

I opted to skip Space Mountain and the other tomorrowland attractions (I figure I will save something for next time). Next up was the Mickey's Soundsational Parade. View attachment 71192 View attachment 71193 View attachment 71194 View attachment 71195 View attachment 71196 View attachment 71197 View attachment 71198

Let me guess, Pizza Port? Or the hot dog place. Both are NASTY.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
I arrived back over at DCA around 8pm - people were fighting for spots along the Pier then I remembered - I had a FP from earlier in the day. I was in the B section and it turned out to be perfect - this was my pre show view.
20141016_195239.jpg

I had no idea what I was in store for. I was bummed because I wanted to see Fantasmic! at DL but it only runs on weekends but everyone on the forum said WOC is not to be missed. I figured it was just another boring water show - but I would give it a try.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
After Pirates - I began looking for restrooms - there are none. I had the hardest time finding restrooms the entire day at DL - they must be hidden - so I pushed forward. I saw Club 33 though. Next I ended up at Haunted Mansion - another 65 minute wait. I was excited to see the Tim Burton overlay.

Haunted Mansion was amazing - the elevator going down (I think we were moving at least was a nice surprise). Madame in the glass ball looked the same but the entire script was changed to Tim Burton. I loved it - what fun.

You walked right past a hidden bathroom in NOS on your way to to HMH. Back down the alley by the train station. Now you know for next time ;)

Yes you are really moving down at DL. Glad you liked HMH it's a favorite of mine too.

disney4life2008

Original Poster
20141016_201658.jpg
20141016_201707.jpg
20141016_201736.jpg
20141016_201746.jpg
20141016_201834.jpg
20141016_201926.jpg
20141016_202628.jpg
20141016_202636.jpg
20141016_202717.jpg
20141016_203255.jpg
All I can say about World of Color - is that it is the most AMAZING SHOW you will ever see. That alone was worth the $50 hopper - it was simply the most spectacular entertainment I have ever witnessed - It now ranks #1 coast to coast - I love nighttime entertainment and World of Color was exceptional.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

View attachment 71180 View attachment 71181 View attachment 71182 View attachment 71183 View attachment 71184 View attachment 71185 Still no restroom in sight so I kept on trekking. I ended up in Critter Country for Splash Mountain (70 minute standby - about 40 minute single). I could have bypassed this one - especially after being on the incredible Grizzly River Run at DCA - but it was a nice soaker. I anticipated a restroom like MK version - still none so I kept going haha. I bypassed Pooh (similiar to MK).

Finally, a restroom at and more food smells from the Mexican place Rancho something. I wanted so bad to eat more food but figured that would slow me down as the day had come and gone - it was already nearing 430pm and the park closes at 9pm. I skipped BTMR and all of Frontierland and headed to Fantasyland.

First I rode Pinocchio - I was reminded of what the MK was like when they actually had dark rides. I cried on Snow White (Mine Train - what? haha). Mr. Toad was so much fun. I skipped all the other MK versions and headed to Its A Small World. WOW is all I can. Yet again, this ride felt like 30 minutes and the MK version should just shut down. It was that amazing.

BTMR upgrade is the best thing I've ridden all year. You really did miss out there. We were just up there 3 weeks ago for the Halloween party and it was the first time I'd been since they opened it back up.. I should upload the video of the final hill. Amazing!

disney4life2008

Original Poster
BTMR upgrade is the best thing I've ridden all year. You really did miss out there. We were just up there 3 weeks ago for the Halloween party and it was the first time I'd been since they opened it back up.. I should upload the video of the final hill. Amazing!

No worries at all - something to look forward to for next time :mad: lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom