Trip Report Welcome to Beautiful Billings! Wait...What?! A (Late) September 2014 Trip Report

First off, I know that I am starting this trip report a month late but since returning from the World but work has been crazy up until this past weekend and I am finally finding the time to start re-living our trip and sharing the experience with you all!

Our trip took place September 12-21 and included stays at Port Orleans French Quarter and, for the most part, the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. The cast of characters included me, my wife Kelly, daughters Ella and Lennon, my mom Allyson, mother in law Deb and our in-laws Mindy, Jason (Guber) and their two daughters Hayden and Kendall. oh, and I should mention at the time of this trip all four kids were under the age of 4! Get the Advil ready!

For those who want a refresher, our pre-tip report can be read here!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-wait-is-over-were-finally-coming-back.887278/

Ok...here we go!

Travel Day
After nearly 9 months of waiting, counting down the days on this site and reading all about all the new and exciting things happening at WDW, the day finally arrived. Traveling from Edmonton to Orlando is no easy task which usually involves a very early wake up call and an extremely long travel day just to check into your hotel for a decent night's rest.

That exactly what we had planned on September 12. Up and at 'em at 3 am to get the car packed, the girls up and off to the airport in time for our 7 am flight. Nothing direct from here to Orlando so our first flight was into Dallas, then after a brief layover, over to Orlando. Plan was to arrive at MCO around 5 pm or so.

The SUV was packed as tight as can be with three big suitcases, our double stroller, diaper bag and a carry on full of diabetes supplies for Ella, food for the kids, and a number of devices, books and toys to occupy them throughout this crazy day.

We made it to the airport by about 430 or 5 am. Everything went beyond smoothly once we arrived at the airport which lead me to believe we were in for a very good day! Usually security with kids, especially with a diabetic and all the stuff we had to bring onto the plane, can be a tedious task. Not today, this was the perfect start to the vacation!

Quick bite to eat and we hunkered in to wait for the plane. The girls were surprisingly upbeat for being up so early!

IMG_1933.jpg

Me and Ella

IMG_1934.jpg

and Lennon ready to roll!

We boarded, took off on time and everything was as it was supposed to be! The kids didn't fall asleep but were pretty well behaved for the first hour and a bit. That's when things started to get interesting! The captain came across the address system..."Folks, nothing to panic over, but we have a bit of a situation that is going to require us to land at the nearest airport as quickly as possible. Again, no need to panic".

So, now that everyone is panicking, this announcement had become a major concern for everyone. No specifics were provided but you could sense the urgency that was portrayed in his voice. Main concern of my wife "Great, now we miss our connecting flight!"

We end up descending very shortly after the announcement and find out that we are headed to Billings, Montana. As we are about to land the captain returns "Ok folks we will be on the ground shortly. You will see some fire trucks on the runway but again, no need to panic, this is standard procedure." Now we realize this is something pretty serious if first responders are lined up just in case! We touch down, zip by the fire engines and taxi to a gate. The captain finally informs us the we were leaking fuel and were nearly bone dry by the time we landed. Fun stuff!

Before we debaord we are told that mechanics are on their way to look at the plane but it is possible another plane would have to be sent to pick us up. Since Billings is not a hub for anyone, let alone American Airlines, we were told we just had to tough it out in the terminal. Everyone immediately got their phones out to call family, travel agents, whomever, to let them know the news. No different for us. I called the family, Kelly called the travel agent to get us on a new flight in Dallas as it was obvious we wouldn't make the connecting flight.

Three hours passed and we were informed the plane was fixed and we could finally get going. Everyone loaded back up, on the same plane mind you, and after a few minutes to get the flight plan/manifest, we were back in the air. By this time the kids were getting very antsy and iPads were no longer doing the trick to keep them occupied. We finally land in Dallas about three hours late but are informed when we land that we are booked on the next flight out. After a brief layover, we board our next plane and take off.

By the time we take off on this flight, we should have been in Orlando at that point. The kids are an absolute wreck, and I'm sure our neighbouring passengers were not too pleased to be seated around us! Oh well, for a couple of toddlers who have been up well over 12 hours at that point, they did pretty well. Lennon was on the brink of losing it all flight and finally did for the final 20 minutes. Longest 20 minutes of my life but again, can't really blame her!

By the time we finally arrive in Orlando and pick up our bags, it's about 930pm. We did have DME booked to take us to the resort but we opted for a cab instead. Having run out of food/drink we needed to get to Port Orleans as fast as possible to we could get Ella something to raised her blood sugar levels. Thankfully the girls seemed to catch a second wind once they knew we were in Disney World so the cab ride was awesome! They sang together and laughed which made the drive go by pretty quickly.

We arrived close to 1030, checked in and piked up our Magic Bands. We hustled to our room, dropped of the bags and ran quickly to the food court for some chocolate milk. At this point I didnt get any pics of the magic bands or the room...we were so exhausted we just went to sleep. After all this hassle we almost regretted flying down a day earlier than the rest of the group.

So much for having time for dinner and roaming around the grounds of the hotel for a bit. It was get to sleep as soon as possible! At least I did get some good news before falling asleep, my home town Edmonton Eskimos beat the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) so I was able to good to bed in a better frame of mind!

Hopefully you are still with me through that very long winded travel experience! I'll detail day one next but now I am off to the hospital to learn how to use the brand new insulin pump Ella has just received. Much more pictures to come...I promise!

CheersBigEars

Sorry to hear about the rough start to your trip. Flying with kids must be difficult even when things go smoothly. I am looking forward to the rest of your report to see if the horrible travel day was worth it. But pretty sure it was;)

RMichael21

I'm excited to read the rest of your report! Sorry about that leaking plane, that must have stunk to be so many hours late to the world. ;) Anyway, I hope you had a good rest of the trip! :)

Sweet Melissa

I currently reside in Billings, and it's sure no consolation for a late start to a Disney vacation! I apologize on behalf of our terrible airport. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
I currently reside in Billings, and it's sure no consolation for a late start to a Disney vacation! I apologize on behalf of our terrible airport. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report!

No need to apologize at all! The airport was certainly nothing to write home about, but the view outside looked quite nice!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who has tuned in! I appreciate you taking the time to follow along. Not he best start we could have hoped for but at least we made it without having to miss any time at the parks or anything like that.

Day Two - September 13

Even after what was a horrible travel day I was up pretty early ready to hit the ground running. We all slept relatively well as we were all exhausted from the previous day. I wouldn't have been upset if we had gotten a late start on the day because the rest of the crew wanted to sleep in but I was quite happy when the kids started to stir a little after 7am.

My wife and I got up and ready to go, packing up what we took out of the suitcases for our one night at the French Quarter. We ended up adding this extra night to our trip after we had booked our one-bedroom Villa through dvc-rental.com (smartest decision ever to book the extra space) so we added a short stay at Port Orleans just to get a taste of a new resort. From the very brief stay we had and what little we actually saw, the resort looked amazing! I would definitely stay there again for the full experience. The girls were up shortly after we got ourselves ready and we shuffled out the door to eat at the food court.

Quick warning as we get to food discussion, I am not one to take pictures of my meals nor was it an easy task with the two youngsters terrorizing the different restaurants we ate at so I apologize in advance for the lack of food pics. We sat down for a quick breakfast of cereal, waffles, fruit and of course COFFEE for me. Ella seemed to like the Mickey shaped pancakes but Lennon was more concerned about watching Frozen on the iPad to care what she was having. We ate, went back tot he room to grab our bags, left them at the front desk to transfer over to the Wilderness Lodge and made our way to catch the Magic Kingdom bus. This trip finally started to feel real to me!

We caught a bus after a couple minutes of waiting and we were on our way. Ella and Lennon were singing to each other and playfully talking to the people sitting next to me. As we approached the MK bus stop I told Ella to look out the window to see that we had arrived! She was like a kid at Christmas! SO excited she let out a big shriek and said "We're here! We're here!" over and over. I wish I took a picture of the look on her face but the massive stroller I became a pro at hauling around and unfolding throughout the trip was pretty restricting.

We arrived just after 9, missing the pre-show by minutes, but I don't think anyone cared other than me. No big deal though. We made a quick stop at City Hall to inquire about guest assistance for Ella, which we were granted, and we were on our way! Off down Main Street to take in the magic!

IMG_7038.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

A few quick pics as we walked and we made our way to Peter Pan for our first FastPass+. I have to say I loved the Magic Band and FP+ set up. I felt it made things extremely convenient for us but that's just me. We all boarded into one pirate ship and flew off to Neverland! Both girls loved it, as did Kelly and I . Peter Pan has always been one of our favourite Disney rides and it was a perfect way to start our park experience.

A few more pics around the Peter Pan area before hoping on It's a Small World.

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7042.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

Lennon wasn't as impressed with this as she was Peter Pan!

After Small World we had FP+ for Splash Mountain. As we made our way there we stopped for more pics around the the new areas of Fantasyland. I love the new expansion. Feels and looks like it has been there for years and years. Very well done.

IMG_7044.jpg

We walked by the Haunted Mansion which had no wait time and convinced the girls to go for a ride. You could tell Ella was pretty nervous to go into the "Ghost House" but she did make it through the doors and in the living room. She was squeezing my hand pretty tightly as the whole preamble took place and was pretty much done for once the lightning hit at the end. Still we all ended up taking our tour. Lennon thought it was great but it wasn't until Ella saw the dog in the graveyard scene until she started to enjoy it. She still talks about what happened to the ghost who followed us home!

wd001wdw2014256119529069.jpeg

Finally made it to Splash and at this point it was about the perfect time to ride as it was smoking hot already at 1030. Sadly, the ride was shut down at the moment but we were told because we have FP+ we could either use it for a different ride or come back to Splash later in the day and use it again when it was running. We figured it would be a good time to walk around and find some characters before heading back to Fantasyland for our Seven Dwarf FP.

We stopped quickly to pick up autograph books and made our way to the Tiana meet and greet!
wd004wdw2014256119551011.jpeg

wd008wdw2014256119551015.jpeg
wd013wdw2014256119551019.jpeg
wd018wdw2014256119551145.jpeg
wd019wdw2014256119550511.jpeg

FIrst character visit was a major success! Ella is so in love with everyone she see's and while she is a bit more cautious, Lennon really started to open up to seeing all these people she has only seen on TV before!

Enough for now, gotta get back to work, but I'll post more about our first Park day soon!

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Now that we had the chance to interact with characters for a bit, we still had a few minutes to kill before our Seven Dwarf FP. We made our way back to Fantasyland to check out the new spray park near Dumbo. I mentioned earlier it was scorching hot already and I think the girls were already feeling the heat so they welcomed the chance to rip around and cool off before getting back on the rides.

IMG_7061.jpg
IMG_7063.jpg
IMG_7069.jpg

Our window for the Dwarfs opened up so Kelly and Ella took off for the first ride. Ella was very excited to not only be riding something brand new but to be on a roller coaster which she thought was very cool! Lennon and I stayed near the spray park for a bit to dry off in the heat before jumping on Dumbo

IMG_7074.jpg

Little did I know that one Dumbo ride would create a monster! Lennon LOVED the ride. She couldn't get enough! As soon as it stopped she shouted "AGAIN! AGAIN!". Just as we walked off, Kelly and Ella were back from the Dwarf ride. They both raved about how much fun it was! I couldn't wait to take my turn, albeit alone. The three girls rode Dumbo once more as Lennon would not stop clamoring over how great it was. She literally was obsessed with the ride. Something she did not get over all trip. I made my way over the check out the newest mountain in Fantasyland.

IMG_7077.jpg

I must say I love how quickly you get through the FP lines. I think I may have waited for three minutes tops before jumping into the mine car. The standby line was relatively long, I think about 60 minutes at this point, so I didn't really know what to expect from FP. The ride itself was great. Amazing detail, the music is fun, the ride is fun and a lot faster than I was expecting, both speed and in terms of length. Maybe I just enjoyed it too much I didn't want it to end as seemingly quickly as it does. It's crazy how smooth the car system is. I really enjoyed the swinging cars as well. All in all, very impressed with the ride!

I met up with the girls and it was time to make our way to the Plaza for our 1200 lunch reservation. We have never eaten at the Plaza before and when we started selecting ADRs we wanted to throw in a couple of new visits so this was one of them. Credit goes to Kelly for selecting this restaurant as our lunch was great. Didn't take long for us to be seated as soon as we arrived and the AC was a much needed reprieve from the hot sun. The restaurant was packed and seemed very busy with servers all over the place but as you'd expect, we were treated to very good service. In fact every restaurant we went to was very accommodating. We made several special requests to tweak meals or drinks because of Ella's diabetes and never had any issues from any one. Kelly ordered the Cheese Steak sandwich and I had the Plaza Club. Mine was very good but as soon as Kelly got hers I knew I made the wrong choice. Her sandwich was killer!

It was close to 1pm by the time we finally wrapped up lunch and we debated going back to the Wilderness Lodge to check in and get the girls down for a nap. Ella wanted to ride the Magic Carpets before we went back so we walked over to Adventureland before heading "home". As we arrived at the Magic Carpets Lennon had fallen asleep in the stroller so I stayed off and waited in line to meet Aladdin and Jasmine while Ella and Kelly went on the ride. Ella and Kelly met up with me in line after they got off the ride. Ella was pretty excited!

IMG_7079.jpg

Both Jasmine and in particular Aladdin were awesome. Spent lots of time interacting with everyone, told jokes to those waiting and made it a lot of fun for everyone in line. Kudos to them!

wd023wdw2014256119640035.jpeg

We decided to make our way back to Splash before heading back to use up our remaining FP from earlier that morning. I was pretty stoked to go on the ride with Ella as Splash is my all-time favourite but she wanted to ride with mommy so I was left to hang out with sleeping Lennon underneath the train tracks. Ella was pretty nervous about riding Splash for the first time and made Kelly promise that she would protect her from getting wet. Based on this pic I think they both got away unscathed (they are back row).

wd024wdw2014256119653736.jpeg

I didn't wait too long for them to find me and for the second time today I was off on another ride all alone. I didn't care though, I live this ride. I was just happy to be enjoying it once again. Not the most exciting ride photo though, well at least not for me!

wd026wdw2014256119663821.jpeg

Lennon woke up pretty much as soon as I returned and she was in a very foul mood! That power nap didn't bring a second wind so we made our way out of the park and onto the boat over to WL. Our skipper was awesome, telling pirate jokes and spewing facts about WDW and the water systems there. Sadly I don't think too many people could hear him over Lennon's crying but what I could hear was pretty impressive! Good show for the passengers aboard. Normally that's a pretty quick boat ride but a cranky nearly 2 year old made it a little longer. I was thankful to finally dock and get the girls into the stroller as we quickly made our way to the front desk to check in. the pool area/courtyard looked nothing like it did three years ago with all the construction going on. Large walls everywhere!

After a few short minutes and some instruction from the front desk, we were home! This was our first time staying in the DVC villas and man it was awesome! I regret not taking any photos of the room when we first arrived but there are a few reports that have some great shots. I was very happy with the room as soon as I opened the door. I knew we made a great choice going through one of the point rental sites and being patient until they found a DVC member willing to rent us his points for the room. Great space, great amenities. Everything we needed with the two youngsters.

IMG_7090.jpg

We quickly unpacked our groceries from Garden Grocer, set up the pack and play and got Lennon down for a good nap. Ella and I went to the pool for a quick swim while Kelly stayed back in the room to relax for a bit. After our quick dip we came back to the room to get ready for our 5pm reservation at Whispering Canyon. Lennon was still going strong so unfortunately it was just Ella and I for dinner but I didn't mind at all. It was kinda nice to have some quiet time with her. So off we went. Again we were seated very quickly and we ended up at a table overlooking the lobby. I thought we would end up seeing he rest of the party who were traveling in from Edmonton today to join us. I ordered a beer, Ella had chocolate milk, and we kicked up our feet for a bit. I wasn't too hungry so I only ordered the Pulled Pork Spring rolls (excellent!) and Ella had the catch of the day. I was quite impressed with the size of her meal and how good the fish was. She wanted ketchup for her fish and boy did they deliver!

IMG_1950.jpg

Thankfully the folks beside us were more than willing to help us take the ketchup to the next table who requested it or else I'm pretty sure we still might be there trying to take it all ourselves! Dinner with Ella was great but still no sign of the others who should have been to the hotel by now. Everyone was at the Wilderness Lodge but they had standard rooms. The Grandmas shared a room and the in-laws had a room with bunk beds. They were not as patient as we were when trying to secure a Villa. They backed out only two days before we were told we had the points! Too bad for them!

Instead of waiting around for them to arrive we decided to head back to MK for more fun and to watch the Electrical Light Parade. Lennon was up and refreshed so we were on our way! As we made our way from the Villa to the boat launch my wife took what may be my favourite picture ever

IMG_7089.jpg

A much smoother boat ride took us back to MK and we ended up stopping to say hi to Tinker Bell. Good call by us as she was amazing with the kids! She got down on the floor with them, goofed around and really took the time to make them feel special. It was pretty awesome to watch.
IMG_7094.jpg

wd031wdw2014256119778220.jpeg

IMG_7114.jpg

After Tink we once again found ourselves in Fantasyland and, what do you know, back at Dumbo!

IMG_7115.jpg

After doing Dumbo a couple times Ella was ready for something new. Over to the Barnstormer for a quick thrill. She seemed to be totally up for the ride until the very last second. We made our way threw the queue relatively quickly, maybe 10 minutes before we were next to board. As soon as the gate swung ope she froze! She just couldn't bring herself to get in and sit down so after a very quick chat we ended up walking straight through the seat and towards the exit. Not sure what had her so shaken up all the sudden but for whatever reason she was freaked out over that ride. Oh well!

We decided to then head into the circus tent to meet Minnie and Daisy since we were right there. At this point the Character meeting were going over better than the rides, with the exception of Dumbo!

IMG_7123.jpg

IMG_7129.jpg

After our visit we went to find a place to watch the parade. I hadn't seen the Electrical Parade in years since it moved from Disneyland and I know Kelly was excited since it's her favourite Disney parade. we ended up right in front of the Golden Horseshoe with a front row spot. Everything was going swimmingly until Lennon started getting pretty tired and cranky. Instead of trying to push it I agreed to take her back while Ella and Kelly stayed for the parade. Lennon and I ended up catching the tail end toward the end of Main Street as we made our way to the exit. We jumped on the boat back to the Lodge and ended up running into the grandmas who were waiting fro us in the lobby. It was nice to see they arrived safely. They came back to our room for a quick tour and to wait for Ella and Kelly. After a quick good night we made plans to meet bright and early in the lobby and everyone would head back to MK together.

Not too bad for a first day!

Thanks for reading along! I'll start on day two tomorrow!

coachwnh

First off, I know that I am starting this trip report a month late but since returning from the World but work has been crazy up until this past weekend and I am finally finding the time to start re-living our trip and sharing the experience with you all!

Our trip took place September 12-21 and included stays at Port Orleans French Quarter and, for the most part, the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. The cast of characters included me, my wife Kelly, daughters Ella and Lennon, my mom Allyson, mother in law Deb and our in-laws Mindy, Jason (Guber) and their two daughters Hayden and Kendall. oh, and I should mention at the time of this trip all four kids were under the age of 4! Get the Advil ready!

For those who want a refresher, our pre-tip report can be read here!

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-wait-is-over-were-finally-coming-back.887278/

Ok...here we go!

Travel Day
After nearly 9 months of waiting, counting down the days on this site and reading all about all the new and exciting things happening at WDW, the day finally arrived. Traveling from Edmonton to Orlando is no easy task which usually involves a very early wake up call and an extremely long travel day just to check into your hotel for a decent night's rest.

That exactly what we had planned on September 12. Up and at 'em at 3 am to get the car packed, the girls up and off to the airport in time for our 7 am flight. Nothing direct from here to Orlando so our first flight was into Dallas, then after a brief layover, over to Orlando. Plan was to arrive at MCO around 5 pm or so.

The SUV was packed as tight as can be with three big suitcases, our double stroller, diaper bag and a carry on full of diabetes supplies for Ella, food for the kids, and a number of devices, books and toys to occupy them throughout this crazy day.

We made it to the airport by about 430 or 5 am. Everything went beyond smoothly once we arrived at the airport which lead me to believe we were in for a very good day! Usually security with kids, especially with a diabetic and all the stuff we had to bring onto the plane, can be a tedious task. Not today, this was the perfect start to the vacation!

Quick bite to eat and we hunkered in to wait for the plane. The girls were surprisingly upbeat for being up so early!

IMG_1933.jpg

Me and Ella

IMG_1934.jpg

and Lennon ready to roll!

We boarded, took off on time and everything was as it was supposed to be! The kids didn't fall asleep but were pretty well behaved for the first hour and a bit. That's when things started to get interesting! The captain came across the address system..."Folks, nothing to panic over, but we have a bit of a situation that is going to require us to land at the nearest airport as quickly as possible. Again, no need to panic".

So, now that everyone is panicking, this announcement had become a major concern for everyone. No specifics were provided but you could sense the urgency that was portrayed in his voice. Main concern of my wife "Great, now we miss our connecting flight!"

We end up descending very shortly after the announcement and find out that we are headed to Billings, Montana. As we are about to land the captain returns "Ok folks we will be on the ground shortly. You will see some fire trucks on the runway but again, no need to panic, this is standard procedure." Now we realize this is something pretty serious if first responders are lined up just in case! We touch down, zip by the fire engines and taxi to a gate. The captain finally informs us the we were leaking fuel and were nearly bone dry by the time we landed. Fun stuff!

Before we debaord we are told that mechanics are on their way to look at the plane but it is possible another plane would have to be sent to pick us up. Since Billings is not a hub for anyone, let alone American Airlines, we were told we just had to tough it out in the terminal. Everyone immediately got their phones out to call family, travel agents, whomever, to let them know the news. No different for us. I called the family, Kelly called the travel agent to get us on a new flight in Dallas as it was obvious we wouldn't make the connecting flight.

Three hours passed and we were informed the plane was fixed and we could finally get going. Everyone loaded back up, on the same plane mind you, and after a few minutes to get the flight plan/manifest, we were back in the air. By this time the kids were getting very antsy and iPads were no longer doing the trick to keep them occupied. We finally land in Dallas about three hours late but are informed when we land that we are booked on the next flight out. After a brief layover, we board our next plane and take off.

By the time we take off on this flight, we should have been in Orlando at that point. The kids are an absolute wreck, and I'm sure our neighbouring passengers were not too pleased to be seated around us! Oh well, for a couple of toddlers who have been up well over 12 hours at that point, they did pretty well. Lennon was on the brink of losing it all flight and finally did for the final 20 minutes. Longest 20 minutes of my life but again, can't really blame her!

By the time we finally arrive in Orlando and pick up our bags, it's about 930pm. We did have DME booked to take us to the resort but we opted for a cab instead. Having run out of food/drink we needed to get to Port Orleans as fast as possible to we could get Ella something to raised her blood sugar levels. Thankfully the girls seemed to catch a second wind once they knew we were in Disney World so the cab ride was awesome! They sang together and laughed which made the drive go by pretty quickly.

We arrived close to 1030, checked in and piked up our Magic Bands. We hustled to our room, dropped of the bags and ran quickly to the food court for some chocolate milk. At this point I didnt get any pics of the magic bands or the room...we were so exhausted we just went to sleep. After all this hassle we almost regretted flying down a day earlier than the rest of the group.

So much for having time for dinner and roaming around the grounds of the hotel for a bit. It was get to sleep as soon as possible! At least I did get some good news before falling asleep, my home town Edmonton Eskimos beat the Montreal Alouettes (CFL) so I was able to good to bed in a better frame of mind!

Hopefully you are still with me through that very long winded travel experience! I'll detail day one next but now I am off to the hospital to learn how to use the brand new insulin pump Ella has just received. Much more pictures to come...I promise!
I liked it, but I wish I liked it because you had a smooth trip to WDW. Looking forward to more!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Love it so far!
Thanks for reading along!

Precious girls! Precious Disney memories!

Oh my goodness....your girls are gorgeous. I LOVE the picture with Tiana!
Thanks for reading! Yes, we are very lucky to have such great girls

What a perfect family. Surprised Disney didn't stop you to film a commercial!! Your girls are so, so cute!
HA! Thanks so much! Now that would have been fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom