Avengers: Age of Ultron

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I do wonder how mad iger and co were. Wasn't this trailer supposed to play in front of shield? Giving it a good ratings boost for that day?

Marvel is blaming Hydra -

ScreenShot2014-10-23at81250AM_zps38cdb791.png

I doubt Iger is in on the day to day of when trailers are released. More likely ed off some ABC brass. I'm guessing once the trailer was leaked they figured go ahead and put it out there instead of having people see a crappy version of it and giving more eyes to the leaker.

Matt_Black

That makes sense, giving that they filmed in Africa (fueling rumors that part of the film features Wakanda) and that, in the comics, one of Ultron's body models is made from vibranium.

How good is this trailer? When a co-worker saw it, he said, "I ain't bootlegging this, I'm gonna see it in theaters!"

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
That makes sense, giving that they filmed in Africa (fueling rumors that part of the film features Wakanda) and that, in the comics, one of Ultron's body models is made from vibranium.

How good is this trailer? When a co-worker saw it, he said, "I ain't bootlegging this, I'm gonna see it in theaters!"

It's good! Watch it! The official version is all over the place now. I posted it a page or two back last night.

Last edited:

doctornick

The actor is Andy Serkis and Marvel has not said who he is playing. He is rumored to be playing Ulysses Klaw - http://comicbook.com/2014/10/23/andy-serkis-rumored-to-be-playing-ulysses-klaw-in-avengers-age-o/

I wonder if Klaw would be another character that would need to be shared between Marvel and Fox -- While he's certainly an enemy of the Black Panther and reasonable for Marvel/Disney to use, he's also commonly been a member of the Frightful Four and enemy of the Fantastic Four.

NMBC1993

Just watched the UK version of the trailer. That being said (and most of you already know where I'm going) Joss Whedon, you fooled me once already with the last Avengers film and I won't be fooled again. As much as this new trailer shows everything I've wanted from a Marvel film (less banter, more character development, don't make the villains throwaway characters) I just can't help but feel that when May rolls around the actual film will be nothing like this trailer. It's Marvel's recent trademark (except for Winter Soldier and GotG), put out a trailer that is dark and brooding, then make a wacky comedy (or TV sitcom) style movie with hardly any of those previous elements in it.

Also, as a fan of the comics I'm very conflicted by what I saw. As much as I squealed like a fanboy seeing the Hulk Buster armor, my mind questions why he'd be fighting the Hulk in the first place? I thought we concluded in the last film Bruce is now "always angry"? Didn't Tony and Bruce drive away into the sunset last time around? Did he forget how to control the Hulk or something? Or is it because he can only control it when the plot deems necessary (just like in the previous Avengers)? Finally, I had to laugh that Disney needed to flaunt themselves in Marvel even further by adding in that Pinocchio number.

Edit: I've noticed several people online mention that Ultron is the one controlling the HulkBuster armor, which does explain why Hulk is fighting....my question to that is I thought Tony blew up all his suits in Iron Man 3 and doesn't need to be Iron Man anymore? So, why does he even HAVE the Hulkbuster armor? What? Did he say to himself "Well, I blew up all my suits and made a point about myself but I'll make some more just in case"? It's like Iron Man suits are his crack or something and he can't give it up....well to be fair he's not shown as an alcoholic so maybe this is Disney's way of saying he "has issues".

All in all, I do not plan to see this film in theaters, Disney/Marvel has already ripped me off enough by putting out these "misleading" trailers and marketing and with Joss Whedon as the writer/director, I can't imagine we'll get the same film we saw today in this preview (he LOVES his witty banter after all). Marvel, just give the Avengers series to the Russo brothers! They seem to know what they're doing and in all honesty, anyone could make an Avengers film and still make billions on the name alone.

But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong. Show me what you've got Ultron!!

Last edited:

Gomer

Just watched the UK version of the trailer. That being said (and most of you already know where I'm going) Joss Whedon, you fooled me once already with the last Avengers film and I won't be fooled again. As much as this new trailer shows everything I've wanted from a Marvel film (less banter, more character development, don't make the villains throwaway characters) I just can't help but feel that when May rolls around the actual film will be nothing like this trailer. It's Marvel's recent trademark (except for Winter Soldier and GotG), put out a trailer that is dark and brooding, then make a wacky comedy (or TV sitcom) style movie with hardly any of those previous elements in it.

Also, as a fan of the comics I'm very conflicted by what I saw. As much as I squealed like a fanboy seeing the Hulk Buster armor, my mind questions why he'd be fighting the Hulk in the first place? I thought we concluded in the last film Bruce is now "always angry"? Didn't Tony and Bruce drive away into the sunset last time around? Did he forget how to control the Hulk or something? Or is it because he can only control it when the plot deems necessary (just like in the previous Avengers)? Finally, I had to laugh that Disney needed to flaunt themselves in Marvel even further by adding in that Pinocchio number.

Edit: I've noticed several people online mention that Ultron is the one controlling the HulkBuster armor, which does explain why Hulk is fighting....my question to that is I thought Tony blew up all his suits in Iron Man 3 and doesn't need to be Iron Man anymore? So, why does he even HAVE the Hulkbuster armor? What? Did he say to himself "Well, I blew up all my suits and made a point about myself but I'll make some more just in case"? It's like Iron Man suits are his crack or something and he can't give it up....well to be fair he's not shown as an alcoholic so maybe this is Disney's way of saying he "has issues".

All in all, I do not plan to see this film in theaters, Disney/Marvel has already ripped me off enough by putting out these "misleading" trailers and marketing and with Joss Whedon as the writer/director, I can't imagine we'll get the same film we saw today in this preview (he LOVES his witty banter after all). Marvel, just give the Avengers series to the Russo brothers! They seem to know what they're doing and in all honesty, anyone could make an Avengers film and still make billions on the name alone.

The banter and touches of light tone are what makes MCU so much more successful than what Sony, Fox, and WB are shelling out right now. Honestly I hope you are proven right. The dark comedy and banter that Whedon brings to the MCU is what has elevated superhero movies beyond the corniness and faux darkness they have always been stuck. What you seem to hate about the MCU is what makes many love it. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your tastes, but you can always watch the DC movies. For me, a balance of wit and action makes these characters far more human and relatable than any other comic property going right now.

Also note: Creepy "got no strings" was an awesome touch. I don't think it is Disney promoting themselves at all. It fits the tone and character perfectly.

Note 2: Many rumors point towards conflict amongst our heroes in this movie. I don't think Hulk v IM has to be due to loss of control (Ultron or self control). It could be that they are truly in conflict over something which is exaggerated to a physical battle when Banner Hulks out. MCU hulk has some control, but his emotions are amplified turning anger into blind rage as we saw in the first film when his injury made him lose control.

Cesar R M

We dont know the full story.

My guess would be.. noone knew Ultron gained sentience.. except Banner.
Ultron kept attacking or sabotaging Banner.. the rest of the avengers tough he went mad and had to stop him, thus Stark build the hulkbuster.
Ultron's plan was thus then completed (more bodies to beat the Avengers).

Speaking of Ultron, I swear the whole thing seems to be heading to the story arc of the Infinite Gem War and then the Annihilation arc!.

NMBC1993

The banter and touches of light tone are what makes MCU so much more successful than what Sony, Fox, and WB are shelling out right now. Honestly I hope you are proven right. The dark comedy and banter that Whedon brings to the MCU is what has elevated superhero movies beyond the corniness and faux darkness they have always been stuck. What you seem to hate about the MCU is what makes many love it. I'm sorry it doesn't fit your tastes, but you can always watch the DC movies. For me, a balance of wit and action makes these characters far more human and relatable than any other comic property going right now.

Gomer, I've got to say I like you....even though we don't agree on certain topics, we can at least discuss it without acting like savage internet trolls:p I know I've said it many times, but in all honesty I do not wish for a DC version of a Marvel film. I don't want to see Tony Stark brooding on top of a building like Batman, I don't want to see a film that is devoid of ANY humor, I just wish Marvel (and especially Whedon) knew when to pull back on the humor. They're like a train about to go off the rails, there's a lever clearly marked "Pull to stop" but they just ignore it and keep going full steam. That is why I loved Winter Soldier so much! Sure, they also had humor in it (I actually enjoyed the opening scene with Steve and Sam ) but the movie knew when the time was right to get serious, to stop spouting off one-liners and focus on plot development. That's all I'm looking for, and is all I wanted out of the last Avengers film (well that and Ed Norton, but what's done is done). Also, I have to disagree that Fox is falling behind Marvel in terms of being successful. I recently re-watched Days of Future Past last week and (again, my own opinion) that film is also what I would call a "balanced story" in terms of comedy, drama, action, etc. There were twists and turns, jokes and tension...a little bit of everything and not just a one-sided film. Plus, DoFP Quicksiver was so amazing I can't see Aaron-Taylor Johnson topping that performance (did you see the kid in Godzilla?).

Also note: Creepy "got no strings" was an awesome touch. I don't think it is Disney promoting themselves at all. It fits the tone and character perfectly.

I do agree that I liked the version they put in there, I just had to laugh that it just happens to be a Disney song (similar to the way there's a very obvious Cars 2 advertisement in The Muppets).

Note 2: Many rumors point towards conflict amongst our heroes in this movie. I don't think Hulk v IM has to be due to loss of control (Ultron or self control). It could be that they are truly in conflict over something which is exaggerated to a physical battle when Banner Hulks out. MCU hulk has some control, but his emotions are amplified turning anger into blind rage as we saw in the first film when his injury made him lose control.

It's funny....what your describing is exactly what I wanted out of the last Avengers movie. Instead of that scene in the helicarrier labs where a large amount of Joss-Banter takes place, I wanted to see something like Loki bringing a small squad of Chitauri and the Avengers attempting to stop him but then Hulk loses control and attacks the Avengers instead. Afterwards none of the team wants to even get close to Banner out of fear, giving him the isolation he's wanted but also causing Bruce to muster up the courage within himself to save the day along with the rest of the team because he knows it's the right thing to do. This is along the lines of what I'm talking about when I say I want less banter and more character development. To me, actions speak greater than words. When an actor is ACTING and emoting instead of relying on dialog to insinuate what he or she feels, it speaks more to me and feels more natural.

Last edited:

TB4244

I'm so excited to finally see SW on screen, she does look great. I hope it doesn't go too much into the Ultimates side of things with her and QS as that was a bit wrong (it was only hinted at but still!)

Gomer

Gomer, I've got to say I like you....even though we don't agree on certain topics, we can at least discuss it without acting like savage internet trolls:p I know I've said it many times, but in all honesty I do not wish for a DC version of a Marvel film. I don't want to see Tony Stark brooding on top of a building like Batman, I don't want to see a film that is devoid of ANY humor, I just wish Marvel (and especially Whedon) knew when to pull back on the humor. They're like a train about to go off the rails, there's a lever clearly marked "Pull to stop" but they just ignore it and keep going full steam. That is why I loved Winter Soldier so much! Sure, they also had humor in it (I actually enjoyed the opening scene with Steve and Sam ) but the movie knew when the time was right to get serious, to stop spouting off one-liners and focus on plot development. That's all I'm looking for, and is all I wanted out of the last Avengers film (well that and Ed Norton, but what's done is done). Also, I have to disagree that Fox is falling behind Marvel in terms of being successful. I recently re-watched Days of Future Past last week and (again, my own opinion) that film is also what I would call a "balanced story" in terms of comedy, drama, action, etc. There were twists and turns, jokes and tension...a little bit of everything and not just a one-sided film. Plus, DoFP Quicksiver was so amazing I can't see Aaron-Taylor Johnson topping that performance (did you see the kid in Godzilla?).

I do agree that I liked the version they put in there, I just had to laugh that it just happens to be a Disney song (similar to the way there's a very obvious Cars 2 advertisement in The Muppets).

It's funny....what your describing is exactly what I wanted out of the last Avengers movie. Instead of that scene in the helicarrier labs where a large amount of Joss-Banter takes place, I wanted to see something like Loki bringing a small squad of Chitauri and the Avengers attempting to stop him but then Hulk loses control and attacks the Avengers instead. Afterwards none of the team wants to even get close to Banner out of fear, giving him the isolation he's wanted but also causing Bruce to muster up the courage within himself to save the day along with the rest of the team because he knows it's the right thing to do. This is along the lines of what I'm talking about when I say I want less banter and more character development. To me, actions speak greater than words. When an actor is ACTING and emoting instead of relying on dialog to insinuate what he or she feels, it speaks more to me and feels more natural.
I think we'll forever disagree on the banter. I think the humor in Avengers is character appropriate. People like Stark, Banner, and Fury hide their fear an anger in snark. You don't see that from Cap as much in Avengers and that is extended into the feel you like in Cap 2. His humor is more reserved and goes unused in times of strife because that's just not who he is. You don't see Cap cracking wise in the battle of NY or on the Hydra Helli-carriers.

I do enjoy the X-men movies over what Sony has done too poor Spiderman since the reboot, and vastly more than anything DC has put out since Dark Knight, but they could still stand to be humanized a bit. The characters come off stilted and forced when compared to those in the MCU. And when they try to do comic relief (quicksiler) they go a bit too far into the comical so it becomes cheesy. (I admit I do love his action scene though). *Note I have no bias against X-Men. They have always been my favorite Marvel property which makes me a bit more critical of those movies than others.

In the end, I think MCU is going to compromise for us. It sounds like Whedon is stepping away after Avengers 2 and the Russo's are being primed for Avengers 3 and 4 in addition to Cap 3. So, the Russo's will tell the majority of Civil War and the Infinity Gauntlet/Secret Wars story to come over the next 7 years or so. I hope they're up to it. I do love what I've seen so far, but I have 100% faith in Whedon based on his exemplary track record, his respect for the characters, and his intelligence. Not to say the Russo's lack any of that. I just need to see them repeat the magic again before I feel comfortable in handing over the reigns to them.

TB4244

My thoughts are that maybe the first version of Ultron we see was part of the IM3 backup that never made it out of Starks destroyed mansion, perhaps a prototype of some kind that he was building to aid the Avengers. If you pause the trailer you can see the 'A' symbol stamped on his chest.

Cesar R M

She is the most powerful being in the marvel universe from time to time. I wonder just how strong she will be in the films..
I disagree.
Xavier's son(aka Legion) is way stronger (he alters the reality easily, and in one story line... he destroyed the elder gods who supposedly blessed the scarlet witch)

NMBC1993

I think we'll forever disagree on the banter. I think the humor in Avengers is character appropriate. People like Stark, Banner, and Fury hide their fear an anger in snark. You don't see that from Cap as much in Avengers and that is extended into the feel you like in Cap 2. His humor is more reserved and goes unused in times of strife because that's just not who he is. You don't see Cap cracking wise in the battle of NY or on the Hydra Helli-carriers.

Don't worry Gomer, you will always be the Joker to my Batman....or possibly I'm the Red Skull to your Captain America??:D

I completely agree! Chris Evans has done a fantastic job as Steve Rodgers!! Even with all my complaints towards The Avengers, he was the one character I felt who stayed true to what I imagined. During the battle of New York, he grabbed the reigns and said "Look..at..me...I'm the Captain now" (A reference to those who attended HHN this year;)) which I was begging for throughout the whole film, someone to take something serious. That type of attitude did carry through during Capt 2 in full force....and I just now realized.....this explains why I am fond of Winter Soldier compared to the other Phase 2 films. When I say "It has balance" I suppose that's because the character himself has balance in terms of comedy and seriousness.

I do enjoy the X-men movies over what Sony has done too poor Spiderman since the reboot, and vastly more than anything DC has put out since Dark Knight, but they could still stand to be humanized a bit. The characters come off stilted and forced when compared to those in the MCU. And when they try to do comic relief (quicksiler) they go a bit too far into the comical so it becomes cheesy. (I admit I do love his action scene though). *Note I have no bias against X-Men. They have always been my favorite Marvel property which makes me a bit more critical of those movies than others.

Personally I feel Spider-Man could still be pulled off by Sony, but maybe not the current team of executives. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was actually not a total piece of garbage (well, if you watch it on blu-ray at home anyway). It corrected quite a few mistakes from the previous film, I was finally able to enjoyed Garfield's version of Spider-Man as the quip giving, guy who loves his job Spider-Man. The two problems with TASM2 are the character types of the villains and the amount of plot within one film (you would have thought they learned their lesson with Spider-Man 3). Why did Electro have to be the equivalent of Jim Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever? The fans wanted Sony to make it more like the comics...but not that much! Even the great Paul Giamatti was reduced to a Russian stereotype, he would have made a great Rino. I don't understand why the executives feel the need to cram so much into one Spider-Man film....don't they want this franchise to last? If it was me, I'd space them out just enough to have maybe seven Amazing Spider-Man films, there is enough source materiel to do it. If you tease the audience, feed them clues here and there you could make a long and successful series that rivals any T.V. show's run.

Gomer, I have to ask...what is your opinion on the X-Men franchise? I'm just curious as someone who enjoyed MOST of the films in this series but was never a huge fan of the comics. I had to laugh a bit inside because of how you described Quicksilver in X-Men, that is exactly how I feel about the recent crop of Marvel films. When you said "they go a bit too far into the comical"...that right there is how I describe Whedon's style of writing. His banter style of humor just gets to me the same way. I think to myself "Why are these characters acting like they're auditioning for an episode on The Big Bang Theory?"

In the end, I think MCU is going to compromise for us. It sounds like Whedon is stepping away after Avengers 2 and the Russo's are being primed for Avengers 3 and 4 in addition to Cap 3. So, the Russo's will tell the majority of Civil War and the Infinity Gauntlet/Secret Wars story to come over the next 7 years or so. I hope they're up to it. I do love what I've seen so far, but I have 100% faith in Whedon based on his exemplary track record, his respect for the characters, and his intelligence. Not to say the Russo's lack any of that. I just need to see them repeat the magic again before I feel comfortable in handing over the reigns to them.

Is that what the rumors have been? I figured Joss would have been around for the long hall, seeing as they fly him in to re-write other films and all. But I would be all over the Russo's taking over, even though I understand how you feel about someone who was as successful as Joss passing the torch. In your eyes, Whedon has done an amazing job with the MCU and he should continue, I can respect that. I feel the same way about Edgar Wright leaving Ant-Man. He's one of my top three favorite directors and the idea of him doing a Marvel film sent shivers down my spine! I too am looking forward to the outcome of Capt 3....the start of Civil War will be epic! It's just too bad Spider-Man has to watch from the sidelines...he was really the star of that particular series.

Last edited:

FoozieBear

The Civil War story is an awesome one! I'm really hoping they are doing a Civil War/Infinity Gauntlet story for Avengers 3. It's going to be so epic!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom