Does this plan sound crazy?

We are going to WDW from Jan 29th (Thurs) to Feb 2nd (Monday). The reason for the short stay is because my wife is a school teacher and can only take 3 days of school off with her personal days. Originally, the plan was to just go on Thursday morning and arrive somewhere around 1:20 Orlando time. Since our time is limited, my thought was that traveling like that on Thursday would mean that we probably wouldn’t be ready to go to the parks until mid-afternoon on Thursday (burning through part of 1 of the 4 days).

I was thinking of traveling there on the 28th (WED), staying in a hotel near the airport for that night (we’d get in after 9pm), and go to the parks when we’re settled (more like earlier AM). The extra cost of the hotel is offset by the cheaper airfair so that’s a wash. The only potential downside is that our kids are young (6, 4, 4) so it wouldn’t be a really smooth transition from plane to hotel room to sleeping. But honestly, I think it might be more stressful trying to deal with an early flight.

What do you think?

NYwdwfan

We are going to WDW from Jan 29th (Thurs) to Feb 2nd (Monday). The reason for the short stay is because my wife is a school teacher and can only take 3 days of school off with her personal days. Originally, the plan was to just go on Thursday morning and arrive somewhere around 1:20 Orlando time. Since our time is limited, my thought was that traveling like that on Thursday would mean that we probably wouldn’t be ready to go to the parks until mid-afternoon on Thursday (burning through part of 1 of the 4 days).

I was thinking of traveling there on the 28th (WED), staying in a hotel near the airport for that night (we’d get in after 9pm), and go to the parks when we’re settled (more like earlier AM). The extra cost of the hotel is offset by the cheaper airfair so that’s a wash. The only potential downside is that our kids are young (6, 4, 4) so it wouldn’t be a really smooth transition from plane to hotel room to sleeping. But honestly, I think it might be more stressful trying to deal with an early flight.

What do you think?

First off - welcome to wdwmagic!

I would opt for choice 2. An early flight will exhaust them just the same. At least this way you can attempt to keep them up on the flight and then just put them to bed in the hotel around 10. They'll get a good nights sleep and off you go!

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

What do you think?

If it were me, I would go Wednesday night and stay at the hotel near the airport. That way, you could wake up and head to WDW in the morning. If your Thursday flight is delayed, you may not get to WDW until late on Thursday.

Upvote 0

dizneycraig

We always go in the night before so we have a full day at the parks. Our next trip is in January also. I think its a good idea to travel the day before in case of bad weather. I do not recommend taking the last flight of the day either. I always leave a backup.

Upvote 0
I think it sounds lovely honestly. I wish I had gotten better flights. I didn't know that you could book separately from the Disney website, so I used them to get flights and UGH... I don't get in til 6pm on our first day!!!

Upvote 0

Chef Mickey

I always go in the night before and stay on property. It's Disney, who cares about the cost?

Seriously though, having a fresh start to the morning is so much better than traveling all day and trying to go to the parks when you've flown.

Upvote 0

lincolnryan

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the help. Leaving in Jan definitely gives us the possibility of having some kind of delay on the flights and that potentially could eat up a lot of the 1st day there.

I assumed it would be too pricey to stay on disney, but just ran the numbers. An additional night there would cost us an extra $238, but would save $215 of that by flying on a wed vs. Thurs. In addition to that, since we're doing the free dining plan, I'm assuming that would give us an extra day of free meals right? So that would mean we'd be able to do an additional sit-down meal?

Someone mentioned not ever taking the last flight of the day. Are those more likely to get cancelled than other flights?

Upvote 0

plutofan15

I would go there on the 28th and stay on property even if it is a different hotel then the rest of your stay. Go for least expensive room that works. The next morning you will be on property for an early start and Disney will take care of moving your luggage to your other hotel. We did this a few years ago when a snowstorm forced us down two days early. We stayed the first two nights in the Ft. Wilderness cabins before moving on to our stay in the treehouses.

Taking the last flight increases the risk of delays or cancellations. If the plane for your flight is headed to your airport from another city and is delayed that will mean that your flight will be delayed. Also, if your flight is cancelled, there will be no later flight that day to reschedule. We always take the earliest flight and non-stop if possible.

Upvote 0
Someone mentioned not ever taking the last flight of the day. Are those more likely to get cancelled than other flights?

You run the increased risk of missing that flight and/or that flight being canceled. I was caught in a situation where I was stranded in Dallas on my way back to Austin. I missed the last flight of the night due to delays with the first flight out of Raleigh and got stranded. I ended up renting a car and driving the 3 hours since American Airlines told me that it would be two days before they could put me on another flight to Austin :(

Upvote 0

yensid67

I cannot say anything about the flights, but my two cents worth is get to Disney the night before(WED) and stay in a cheap hotel just off property(PALM PARKWAY=clarionlbv.com*) and then go to a park for a few hours, take a break and drive to your on site hotel and check in, then go back to the park for the late afternoon/evening. This may rejuvinate you a lot more than staying in the park all day and then going to your on site hotel!

*The Clarion Lake Buena Vista is a great place to stay with breakfast included in some rooms. If you go to visitorlando.com and print off a MagiCard, then make a reservation on there for a room with breakfast it should only be around $69 for a night! Soft pillow top mattresses, micro/frig, 2 pools, laundry, game room. I stayed there last year and it was VERY comfortable. They even have a bar and Grille and a 24 hour convenience store right in the main building with a Lite Bite Cafe, too!

Upvote 0

bee

You run the increased risk of missing that flight and/or that flight being canceled. I was caught in a situation where I was stranded in Dallas on my way back to Austin. I missed the last flight of the night due to delays with the first flight out of Raleigh and got stranded. I ended up renting a car and driving the 3 hours since American Airlines told me that it would be two days before they could put me on another flight to Austin :(
Yep, I learned my lesson about taking the last flight of the day when I was stranded in Atlanta on my way to Jacksonville from Milwaukee. If possible I don't even like to take the second-to-last flight!

OP, your plan to go the night before sounds wonderful. Since you have a limited number of vacation days to work with I think you are being very efficient with your time and money.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I live in Florida, so I can drive.... But since I have to fly to the West Coast to visit family and Disneyland, I agree with the others - fly in the evening before, stay at the airport hotel and then you can have a full first day at the parks after a (hopefully) good night's sleep. I was always tired after the nearly all day cross country flights and would be in no mood to visit any park. Oh, and coming from someone who grew up in the airline industry, never, ever take the last flight of the day, especially if you have a connecting flight to Orlando. And flying mid-week gives you cheaper fares.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
I would go there on the 28th and stay on property even if it is a different hotel then the rest of your stay. Go for least expensive room that works. The next morning you will be on property for an early start and Disney will take care of moving your luggage to your other hotel. We did this a few years ago when a snowstorm forced us down two days early. We stayed the first two nights in the Ft. Wilderness cabins before moving on to our stay in the treehouses.

Taking the last flight increases the risk of delays or cancellations. If the plane for your flight is headed to your airport from another city and is delayed that will mean that your flight will be delayed. Also, if your flight is cancelled, there will be no later flight that day to reschedule. We always take the earliest flight and non-stop if possible.

With three small children, I would stay at the airport hotel. It may take them up to two hours to get from the airport to their Disney resort and with three tired, cranky kids.....

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member

What do you think?

Don't know where you are flying from, but my experience flying with a young child is making sure they have activities that will keep them somewhat relaxed so they will easily fall asleep when you get to the hotel. My daughter usually fell asleep during our cross county flight to SFO.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

Yep, I learned my lesson about taking the last flight of the day when I was stranded in Atlanta on my way to Jacksonville from Milwaukee. If possible I don't even like to take the second-to-last flight!

OP, your plan to go the night before sounds wonderful. Since you have a limited number of vacation days to work with I think you are being very efficient with your time and money.
I've been stranded in Atlanta, too. I can't say it was a lot of fun to spend the night in the airport.

Upvote 0

LAKid53

Premium Member
I've been stranded in Atlanta, too. I can't say it was a lot of fun to spend the night in the airport.

If you know the rules... you can get either a night in a hotel or a change in flight. Due to a mechanical issue with our aircraft before we departed LA, I was going to miss the last flight out of ATL to my home. Since my folks lived in LA, I decided to take the same flight the following day - was a student so I didn't have to worry about work. However, no coach seats left on the flight the next day, so I nicely told the ticket agent she would be giving me one of the available seats in first class, at no fare increase. She gave me the look, "dang, this person knows the rules (daddy worked in the business for over 40 years and he taught us well)". So I flew first class all the way home, enjoying the much better food, bigger seats and that free champagne. Thanks, Dad!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom