Safari Truck Collides with Water Bridge

openendedsky

Original Poster
It might have been broken down. It didn't look like a new vehicle to me, but even a new one can breakdown. Otherwise, I am sure that Disney has many non-public access roads all over the place where they might have driven it there. There are many ways to transport vehicles, that is just the one that they decided to use that day. I don't think that Disney wants the public to see a vehicle on a tow truck which would denote a broken status. On a flatbed, it could be anything. I'm just throwing out guesses here.

What I did see during the film is that the driver was very aware that, at best, it was going to be close to not going under the bridge. He slowed to almost a stop before it actually hit anything. He took a gamble and lost big time.
It's a new truck because it's lacking the tarp canopy, and the props. This is how the new trucks have been coming in and they've been fitting the props onto the trucks either right before testing on the ride path, or after.

They're towing it, because like @jakeman said, there are governors on these vehicles, and if not activated by a puck, they will only go 8 mph. At BEST, 20-25.

The vehicles come to Disney with the governors fitted and I doubt they're going to adjust that just to take the trucks between central and Dak.

copcarguyp71

Why was the truck on a flatbed? Why not drop it at the entrance of Disney property and drive it in the rest of the way, or tow it with a standard wrecker? OR, maybe, just maybe that truck driver could have discovered the clearance for the load, and gone out of his/her way to NOT go under any "questionable" overpasses.

If I had to guess it was probably not yet registered or insured to Disney Corp or may not even be legal for driving on Florida roads. Just a guess from what I know in working in the auto industry in PA...but things might be different there in FL too.

G00fyDad

If I had to guess it was probably not yet registered or insured to Disney Corp or may not even be legal for driving on Florida roads. Just a guess from what I know in working in the auto industry in PA...but things might be different there in FL too.

I understand now. My original question was due to the confusion about the legality of driving on Disney property. It's a different state and each state has their own laws concerning this. Since they are a privately owned property I thought maybe it might be a little different in there and be acceptable to drive a vehicle as long as you have a registered vehicle behind it. However, as others have stated, governor or not, if it doesn't have a license plate on it and not registered you cannot drive it on Disney property roads. :D

Goofyernmost

It's a new truck because it's lacking the tarp canopy, and the props. This is how the new trucks have been coming in and they've been fitting the props onto the trucks either right before testing on the ride path, or after.

They're towing it, because like @jakeman said, there are governors on these vehicles, and if not activated by a puck, they will only go 8 mph. At BEST, 20-25.

The vehicles come to Disney with the governors fitted and I doubt they're going to adjust that just to take the trucks between central and Dak.
You could be right, but the tarp could have been taken off for transit so the airflow wouldn't catch it and tear it off. There wasn't much damage anyway so I don't see it as a huge problem.

G00fyDad

You could be right, but the tarp could have been taken off for transit so the airflow wouldn't catch it and tear it off. There wasn't much damage anyway so I don't see it as a huge problem.

Keep in mind, I know nothing about welding, but it looks like they just need to replace the two or three support beams attached to the truck (the canopy supports). It shouldn't be that hard, but don't think it's going to be cheap. Somebody probably lost their job for this.

eddy21

Or got a promotion
Keep in mind, I know nothing about welding, but it looks like they just need to replace the two or three support beams attached to the truck (the canopy supports). It shouldn't be that hard, but don't think it's going to be cheap. Somebody probably lost their job for this.

Victor Kelly

And what of the Governor's daughter? Can you goose her?

Yes you can goose her. But if it is Elizabeth for the Pirates movies, I call dibbs first man!:D

In response to governors, no matter what truck they are installed upon they are basically the same. Make, model, year, etc have no bearings on the arguement you are trying to get going. Governors can be adjusted by both drivers and mechanics who know what they are doing. Anyone telling you otherwise would be incorrect or not know what they are talking about.

jakeman

Yes you can goose her. But if it is Elizabeth for the Pirates movies, I call dibbs first man!:D

In response to governors, no matter what truck they are installed upon they are basically the same. Make, model, year, etc have no bearings on the arguement you are trying to get going. Governors can be adjusted by both drivers and mechanics who know what they are doing. Anyone telling you otherwise would be incorrect or not know what they are talking about.
Can, but won't. I think that's the point folks are trying to make.

fugawe09

For those curious, the majority of roads at WDW are in fact public roads owned by Reedy Creek Improvement District, a government body wholly controlled by Disney. Nonetheless, state traffic laws apply.

PEPPER2029

Those trucks without a governor are just like any other truck you can buy for street or construction use. There is absolutely no way with the governor taken off that it wouldn't go above 25 miles an hour. It will do the exact same speed as any other truck like that you'd purchase.

However, I do agree that the condition that Disney purchases them in requires a governor and therefore would not be able to be driven on the street in any kind of decent fashion.
Thy don't use governors. they chnge the
Those trucks without a governor are just like any other truck you can buy for street or construction use. There is absolutely no way with the governor taken off that it wouldn't go above 25 miles an hour. It will do the exact same speed as any other truck like that you'd purchase.

However, I do agree that the condition that Disney purchases them in requires a governor and therefore would not be able to be driven on the street in any kind of decent fashion.

they dont use governors. they just keep them in lower gears i.e. 1st or 2nd. putting them on a flatbed saves from disconnecting the diveshaft. the driver probably thought they wouldnt send him that way if he could'nt fit. also they are public streets thats why the have police cars on the

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Thy don't use governors. they chnge the

they dont use governors. they just keep them in lower gears i.e. 1st or 2nd. putting them on a flatbed saves from disconnecting the diveshaft. the driver probably thought they wouldnt send him that way if he could'nt fit. also they are public streets thats why the have police cars on the
RCID contracts with local police to patrol their private property for safety and monetary reasons.

Get trespassed from property and see how "public" those streets are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom