Just turned 3 yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Francy

Original Poster
I heard under 3 set is free - we have 3 yr old as of today! We are going in 2 weeks - I am wondering if I should just say she is under 3 and save a boatload? Not trying to pull any tricks, just curious what most do?

kelknight84

They won't ask you or her what her age is, but ethically she is 3 and paying for admission starts at age 3. There is so much geared for that age at Disney, it's not like she's just tagging along.

Weather_Lady

Show your child a good example and don't lie about her age, or ask her to do so.

EDIT: Sorry for the harsh tone -- I just realized you are new to the boards. This issue has been bandied about before, and while WDW isn't going to ask you to provide proof of age, I still cling to the adage that honesty is the best policy, and that if you want to take advantage of the benefit of going to WDW with a child under two, the only acceptable way of doing that is to go to WDW with a child who is under two. To paraphrase Monty Python, "three is right out."

(Also, does this mean you haven't purchased tickets or made FP+ reservations for her yet? I suggest getting that taken care of ASAP if there are popular attractions for which you want to utilize FP+.)

Last edited:

dadddio

The official policy, as I understand it, is that no one ages at Disney. The age you are on day one is the age you will be on your entire trip. Your kid is three.

Reactions: Tom

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
They won't ask you or her what her age is, but ethically she is 3 and paying for admission starts at age 3. There is so much geared for that age at Disney, it's not like she's just tagging along.

My kids have been asked their ages before at the entrance. My son is tall and my DD very verbal - many times at home we had people surprised that they were only 2. So when they were each just shy of 3 we took them to WDW and they were both asked their ages at least once. We even brought copies of birth certificates just in case. They were asked in a cute non-accusatory way.

Tom

Beta Return
The age is determined by the age on the date of check-in. So, if someone is still 2 as of the date of check-in, they're 2 for the entire trip. If they turn 3 ON the date of check-in, they're 3.

Best to take Birth Certificates anyway, for the reasons stated by @RandomPrincess

EDIT: And in the OP's case, the kid is currently 3, and will be 3 for the entire duration of the vacation, meaning their park admission is not free and they would have to participate in any Dining Plans added, and be counted as an occupant in the room.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Getting away with it or not, what kind of example does this following most-likely-real conversation set for your kid:

Parent: "Ok honey, we're coming up to the gates, remember, if someone asks you, you're still 2."

Innocent Young Child: "But <mommy/daddy>, I already had my birthday! Remember, I had the Olaf cake with the sprinkles! We had a bounce house!!!"

Parent: "I know, I know, but just for this trip, tell them you are 2 if they ask."

3 year old child full of questions:" Why?"

Parent: "Just do it please"

Confused ball of sunshine: "Why?"

Parent: "To save mommy and daddy some money"

Sad little child: "Why? I'm 3! I'm not a baby anymore. You told me last week when you wanted me to go in the potty! You said 3 year olds don't wear diapers! You yelled at me that I'm 3 now and needed to start acting like it?!?"

Parent: "Do it and I'll buy you a Mickey Balloon..."

The Mom

Premium Member
I believe the question has been answered. Can you get away with not paying for your 3yo? Probably. Should you? No. Imagine how embarrassed you will be if either child lets the cat out of the bag. And the 6yo is old enough to realize that you're being dishonest. It may come back to bite you some day. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom