Moana officially confirmed as the 56th Disney Animated feature.

BigTxEars

They have been hitting home runs for the last number of years in animation, I would think this will be more of the same. Sounds like a good setting for a movie, no doubt we will see tie ins at the Poly when the movie hits.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Entertainment Weekly has a write up on the announcement -

MOANA.jpg

Moana is described as a “a sweeping, CG-animated comedy-adventure,” and takes place in ancient Oceania in the South Pacific. The film will tell the story of its titular character, a teenage girl and “born navigator” who “sets sail in search of a fabled island,” according to a summary from Disney. “During her incredible journey, she teams up with her hero, the legendary demi-god Maui, to traverse the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous sea creatures, breathtaking underworlds and ancient folklore,” Disney reveals.

The creative team behind Moana, which is CG-animated, has some serious Disney pedigree: Directors Ron Clements and John Musker also helmed The Little Mermaid and Aladdin among others. “Moana is indomitable, passionate and a dreamer with a unique connection to the ocean itself,” Musker said in a statement. “She’s the kind of character we all root for, and we can’t wait to introduce her to audiences.”

There is already a strong Internet fanbase for the Polynesian Moana, who was previously expected to make her debut in 2018, and she serves as an example of Disney furthering representation of diverse and minority characters.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Not necessarily. Zootopia was always going to be 2016, Giants was assumed to be 2017, and Moana 2018. Depending on what the Pixar Braintrust will be up to for '16 & '17, Giants still might be on track.

Sped2424

Not necessarily. Zootopia was always going to be 2016, Giants was assumed to be 2017, and Moana 2018. Depending on what the Pixar Braintrust will be up to for '16 & '17, Giants still might be on track.
Nope. giants was always rumored to be slated for 2016 and moana was slated for 2018. They have 2 films for 2016 no films for 2017 and then 2 again for 2018. So if it's going to happen it will be in 2018.

Matt_Black

Original Poster
Except then where does Zootopia fit in? That was only scheduled for 2016 once Pixar's schedule got mixed up, pushing Inside Out to 2015 and Finding Dory to fall of that year.

Sped2424

Except then where does Zootopia fit in? That was only scheduled for 2016 once Pixar's schedule got mixed up, pushing Inside Out to 2015 and Finding Dory to fall of that year.
Zootopia is in march, moana is in november. Also finding dory is slated for june of 2016 right in between these two films. So it won't affect them at all. Where are you getting fall from?

Matt_Black

Original Poster
I could have sworn that I read that they were shooting to have Finding Dory be the big holiday 2015 release, since there isn't anything going to be anything from WDAS that year.

Genie of the Lamp

John Musker on Huffington Post Article said:
I grew up reading the novels of Melville and Conrad. And the South Seas, the exotic world that a lot of their stories are set in, was extremely intriguing to me. Just looking at the art which comes out that corner of the globe — the carvings, the statuary, the sculpture — I thought that it all begged for this bigger-than-life treatment that you can only get with animation. So to expand on that idea, I then began reading up on the mythology of this area. Which is when I came across these incredible tales about Maui, who's one of the great cultural heroes of the South Pacific.

More i09 article tidbits said:
When they took their idea to Disney's John Lasseter, though, he said this called for a lot more on-the-ground research. So Musker and Clement ended up spending a lot of time in the South Seas, researching the islands and their culture, in order to get it right. "Those trips have been revelatory and kind of life-changing in a way," Musker tells HuffPo. "In that it made us take our very simple outline and rework the whole thing." Expect Moana to be playing in theaters on or around November 23, 2016.

http://io9.com/thank-goodness-were-getting-disneys-lovely-moana-sooner-1648597781

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom