Checking in luggage at Resort on departure day

Thumper14

Original Poster
I have never used the DME before and have a few questions.
We have a late 7:35 pm flight, so we plan to spend the day in the Parks.
I thought we would check our luggage and get the boarding passes before 8:00 am
So we could be at Animal Kingdom for a rope drop.
How early can you check your luggage on the departure day?
Does anyone know the Operating times for the Airline Checkin desk at the Boardwalk Villas?

Bonus 2nd trip to WDW  

Rob562

Last I knew of, the desks are open 5a-1p.

And unless rules have changed be aware that you can't check in earlier than 12 hours before your flight (so your 7:35pm flight would have to wait until after 7:35am). Any carry-on bags can be left with Bell Services (separate desk from Resort Airline Check-In) and picked up before your DME bus pickup time.

And though it doesn't apply to your situation, for anyone coming across this thread, you have to check your bags a minimum of 3 hours before your flight. So even with a 5am opening, if you flight is earlier than 8am you have to take your bags on the bus and check them at the airport.

-Rob

Thumper14

Original Poster
Thanks Rob that helps a lot.
7:35 am is just about the right time to check bags, grab boarding passes and drop off carry-ons at the bell desk.
That leaves time to grab coffee and pastry at the Boardwalk Bakery and catch a bus to Animal Kingdom for a rope drop, if the lines are manageable. I a have a feeling that is a good time for a lot of people.
If so, we split duties and 2 people handle luggage while the other 2 grab coffee and treats.
I have purchased Early Boarding with SWA so I do not have to worry about online check in. Mickey and company always distract me from this task the night before the departing flight. Being able to check bags at the resort will be sweet.
Alas, I just figured out this whole WDW My Magic and such.
Only to be planning visits for now on back at DLR.
A trip to DLR requires little to no preplanning and has me spoiled.
I have to say it was fun to experience MDE for the past 100+ days, but exhausting.
I feel like I should get a Certification or even a Phd with all I have learned!

Rob562

If so, we split duties and 2 people handle luggage while the other 2 grab coffee and treats.
I have purchased Early Boarding with SWA so I do not have to worry about online check in. Mickey and company always distract me from this task the night before the departing flight. Being able to check bags at the resort will be sweet.

One thing to note regarding your plan is that anyone checking a bag or getting a boarding pass from the RAC desk must be present to present a photo ID. (It's a security measure. Best to think of the RAC desk as if it were curbside check-in at the airport. They'll do the exact same routine)

With Southwest it isn't as much of an issue since each passenger gets two free checked bags so your (presumably) four checked bags could simply be checked in as two people with two bags each. The remaining two people could simply print their boarding passes at the airport. Other airlines with their luggage rules would logistically require everyone to be there.

-Rob

Last edited:

Thumper14

Original Poster
Thanks Rob,
I know SWA well by now and 2 people with 4 checked bags is not a big deal. We will also have our boarding passes on our smart phones, so the boarding passes are also not a big deal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom