Pre-Trip The Big Surprise Trip!

Hey everyone! It's been a while I know... after our last trip in December 2013 I tried continuing to post here for a month or so but eventually my PDD (Post-Disney Depression) overcame me and I started coming back less and less.

A little back story to kick us off:
  • I've been visiting WDW since I was 6 years old. My first trip was in 1982 and I've made close to 30 since.
  • In 2004 I met the man who is now my husband and took him on his first trip.
  • Not long after, we moved to Jacksonville, FL and became annual passholders, visiting whenever we could.
  • In early 2006 we had to take a break from visiting because our son, Aaron, was born. But... as any good Disney-crazed parents would do, we took Aaron for his first trip when he was just 10m old.
  • After a few trips as a family, we decided in late 2007 to move to North Carolina. Since that time we've tried to continue making trips at least once a year.
  • In 2011 we decided to skip 2012 in favor of waiting for some of New Fantasyland to open. We managed to make it through the year (PDD raging of course) and got back out to WDW in March 2013.
  • From there we agreed we'd skip 2014 and return after the 7DMT was finished.
  • Realizing that meant 2 years until we'd be back, we decided to make one last trip before we skipped 2014 and headed back down in December.
It has been 10 long months since we last stepped foot onto WDW property and man am I feeling it. So I did, again, what any Disney-crazed mom would do when she saw the Play, Stay & Dine release a week or so ago... I took out a loan from my 401(k) to ensure we'd get back in 2015 (just in case our Tax Return isn't enough to cover it)!

So why did we jump into another trip (that we technically can't afford) rather than waiting? Well, that's where a very long story of life since I was last here comes into play. Some of you may remember me mentioning in past trip reports and other threads that my son was diagnosed at a young age as having a mood disorder. Well, in early September, after a very very difficult few weeks that I will spare everyone the details of, his diagnosis was changed to an Autistic Spectrum Disorder (w/ ADHD). Needless to say the past month+ for our family has been the most difficult we've ever been through and as such we decided... screw it, we need a vacation!

Oh and I forgot to mention... we are not telling DS about this one. We're going to get everything together and tell him we're going to his favorite local amusement park (even though it'll be closed - he won't catch that though) and then film the reveal as we drive past it and say "Y'know what? How about we go to Disney instead!"

The Players
Jenn/Mom = Me!
Bill/Dad = DH
Aaron = DS8
Tim = DSS22

I doubt anyone has ever paid enough attention to my reports to notice but in the past when DSS was included, so to was his fiance. Well, on top to the aforementioned stress related to my son, DSS's relationship also came to an end. Another reason we all need this trip badly!
UPDATE: Unfortunately DSS can't afford to pay his bills if he misses a week of work so he's decided not to join us. :(

The Logistics
Arrival: Sunday, January 18th
Departure: Saturday, January 24th
Resort: Art of Animation - Cars Family Suite - A first for us!
Dining: DDP (upgraded from what package included)
Tickets: 5-Day Park Hopper
Travel Method: Drive

ADRs
Sunday: Chef Mickey's (8:05p)
Monday: Crystal Palace (8:30a)
Tuesday: Garden Grill (5:55p)
Wednesday: Boma (9:20a)
Thursday: 50's Prime Time (12:35p) - A first for us!
Friday: Be Our Guest (5:20p) - A first for us for dinner!
Saturday: 'Ohana (9:00a)

Can't add FP+ selections yet but soon as we do I'll update this report!

FastPass+ Selections

Monday 1/19: Space Mountain (9:25-10:25), Little Mermaid (11:05-12:05), Mine Train (12:25-1:25)
Tuesday 1/20: Character Spot (3:30-4:30), Test Track(4:55-5:55), Nemo (6:30-7:30)
Thursday 1/22: Toy Story Mania (11:10-12:10), Frozen Sing-along (2:20-2:35), ToT (3:20-4:20)
Friday 1/23: Safari (9:35-10:35), Primeval Whirl (11:35-12:35), Dinosaur(12:45-1:45)

My logic with these was to book around our ADRs so that we can hop elsewhere until those times and know we're in the park where we're eating. For those where I got them in the AM, I know we can get more FPs that day, even in another park if we want.

So there it is! Whatcha think folks?

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

I think it's a great idea. Disney is great therapy!! Yes it does suck you have to take a loan out from your 401K but the memories and relief that it will bring your family is worth it!! :D

dancingtodisney

OH I just love surprises!!!

It definitely sounds like you could do with a break and also planning for a Disney holiday will lift your spirits! We’ve had a horrendous year ourselves but luckily had our Disney trip booked already, I definitely would have pulling one together if I didn’t though!
Your video will be amazing, when I was 9 my Dad came home one day after work and asked me where in the world I would like to go on holidays and I screamed ‘DISNEY WORLD’ (we’d never been and certainly could not normally afford) and he just replied ‘Ok we’re going in two weeks!’ he had managed to snag a cancellation holiday at an incredibly low price. If your Son reacts half as crazy as I did in your video then it will be brilliant!

I’m heading in a week and a half and have lots of the same reservations as you too! The only two I’m not doing is Chef Mickeys and Coral Reef! All the rest are first times for me too how exciting!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Slight change... hubby was very "meh" about our Coral Reef reservation so we've switched it up (managed to keep exact same time) for Garden Grill instead (a favorite of the hubby's)!

4disneylovers

Great idea! We had a very rough 2013. I had to remove my father from life support 2 days after Christmas. He had been in and out of the hospital nursing homes etc for four years. My family had a rough go of it.

Our kids ( 12 and 15) knew we were going to Disney in 2015 for our 20 year anniversary. What they didn't know was we woke them up at 4 am August 16 2014 and told them they needed to get dressed because we had a plane to catch. They totally did not believe it. Video is priceless.

It was a no budget 2 week vacation staying in Nemo suites at AoA where they got to parasail (son), drive sea racers, take surf lessons, go to BBB (daughter) and so much more. It was what we needed as a family.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Great idea! We had a very rough 2013. I had to remove my father from life support 2 days after Christmas. He had been in and out of the hospital nursing homes etc for four years. My family had a rough go of it.

Our kids ( 12 and 15) knew we were going to Disney in 2015 for our 20 year anniversary. What they didn't know was we woke them up at 4 am August 16 2014 and told them they needed to get dressed because we had a plane to catch. They totally did not believe it. Video is priceless.

It was a no budget 2 week vacation staying in Nemo suites at AoA where they got to parasail (son), drive sea racers, take surf lessons, go to BBB (daughter) and so much more. It was what we needed as a family.
I am sorry to hear about your rough year but so happy to see how many folks there are that "get it" and are supportive of what we're doing. Financially it may not make the best sense but sometimes you just have to overlook what makes sense.

P.S. I'd love to see that video!

4disneylovers

:DI'd love to show you but since my son sleeps in his underwear I think he would object. They are boxers but I still think he would object.

We went to a program on drugs and I told my husband that our first clue he was doing drugs would be if he started wearing clothes inside the house.

I'll have to see if there is any part of it I can post.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
:DI'd love to show you but since my son sleeps in his underwear I think he would object. They are boxers but I still think he would object.

We went to a program on drugs and I told my husband that our first clue he was doing drugs would be if he started wearing clothes inside the house.

I'll have to see if there is any part of it I can post.
HAH! That's fantastic! Y'know I suppose there is a certain age at which posting pictures or video of our kids in their undies becomes inappropriate. Aaron's only 8 so he'll have to deal with the humiliation if one of his friends finds an old video when he's older. LOL!

mrdrift

Sorry to hear about all the stress in the family, just remember in time it will get better especially now that you will be going back to Disney World. Can't wait to see the video when you tell him about the surprise. Will be watching for the trip report.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
It's a rare thing that I am not counting down every single day until our next trip but this time around, because of holiday insanity and other general insanity in our home, I've not been at all. I suddenly realized as I sat down this morning that there are only 23 days left until we leave! HOLY CRAMOLY! I need to start packing! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom