Trip Report Disneyland by way of Alaska

Hello everybody. Let me start out by saying that I have been a member of the boards for many years and post occasionally but have never written a trip report (gasp, I know!). I never seem to find the time to write it. But I have read and benefitted from so many wonderful trip reports over the years that I felt I needed to write one, especially for this trip of a lifetime. Warning before you start reading – this will be a very long trip report since our trip was 2 weeks (actually 16 days total) and may take me a while to complete. I will add pictures in as I go but some of my pictures may not be the best quality.

Ok, now for the introductions. There is me, Kris, self-proclaimed Disney fanatic and mother to a wonderful daughter.
Picture1.jpg

And my wonderful daughter, Shallon, who is 24 and was born and raised under my Disney fascination and I think she may be even passing me up with her Disney obsession.
Picture 2 .jpg

We are true Disney buddies. By the way, a few weeks before we left Shallon broke her foot bike riding so she is in a boot cast. It could have been a lot worse and she seemed to be moving around pretty well, although I did refer to her a couple times on the trip as hop-along-Shallon.

We have been to Disney World many times and go twice a year and usually spend a couple weeks each trip. We have been WDW Annual Passholders for quite a few years and really get our money’s worth out of those passes. A few years ago, a fellow board member and helpful planner turned me on to Disney Cruise Line. We had never cruised before and once I took the leap I was so hooked there is no turning back. So I blame (or thank) my helpful planner friend who I will refer to as “she who must not be named”. Now we have taken 5 cruises in the past 4 years which is quite a feat because I never thought I’d be able to swing taking a cruise in the first place. I have learned so much about cruising from the boards and from the trip reports that have helped me prepare in immeasurable ways. In addition, “she who must not be named” has answered so many questions for me over the years that I couldn’t have done it without her, plus she has the best trip reports ever. For those who have cruised with Disney, you probably know how addicting it can be. We have cruised on the Dream 3 times, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean 1 time and most recently we cruised on the Wonder to Alaska. Now Alaska has always been a dream of mine since I was very little and what better way to experience Alaska than on a Disney cruise.

So once I decided to take the Alaska plunge, I figured we might as well go to Disneyland too. Since we live in Michigan and would be going all the way over to “that side of the country” we may as well go down to California too and experience our very first visit to Disneyland (makes perfect sense, right). So we spent a week cruising Alaska and a week in Disneyland, after all I didn’t know when we’d make it way over there again. This really was a trip of a lifetime. I planned the cruise 1 ½ years in advance so I had plenty of time to learn more. This was also a surprise for Shallon so as the trip got closer it became more difficult to pull things together without her knowing. Shallon has Down syndrome and is very much a kid at heart, which means I have the advantage of experiencing Disney life through the eyes of a child over and over, even though she is 24. But this is also why I can’t tell her too far in advance because she just can’t stand to wait for the next Disney fix (who can). For a seasoned WDW vet who can plan a trip there with my eyes closed, I was completely out of my comfort zone. This was a trip of firsts…. first time in Vancouver, first time on the Wonder, first time in Alaska, and first time to Disneyland. I sure did a lot of homework before this trip, thanks to all the trip reports. Even though I was very excited about this trip, there was also something completely terrifying about it. But the very things that made this trip scary were the same things that made it fantastic, discovering new territory. So let’s get started.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
As we headed back out into the park, it was real hot so we headed back to the condo for a mid-day pool break.

ship.jpg

We walked past the area decorated to celebrate Day of the Dead.

dod 1.jpg

dod 2.jpg

We wandered back towards the exit and rode the fire engine down Main Street because it was too hot to walk, not really it was just fun.

Castle.jpg

firetruck.jpg

fire truck 2.jpg

Spotted one of the trains, the Ward Kimball, coming in to the train station.

train.jpg

We were coming back to the park in the evening so we decided this break would do us good and re-energize us.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We came back about 5:30 and went to the Royal Theater to see the Beauty and the Beast skit. This was so funny; I was cracking up the whole show. The guys acting in this were great. When that finished we were just in time for Mickey’s Soundsational Parade. We found a spot to sit right on a curb in the hub looking straight down Main Street. The parade viewing in DL is much different than in WDW; most people sit down instead of standing. It seemed much more laid back that the space battles that sometimes take place at WDW. While we were waiting for the parade, there was this one duck standing out in the middle of the street. Shallon and I always like say hello to the “Disney ducks” that roam the park imagining what an awesome lifestyle they have. Well a cast member was trying to get this one duck out of the road because the parade would be starting soon. So he kept chasing it trying to get it to leave, but the duck just kept running away from him. Since everyone was seated and the area was filled in, there was no way the duck was going to get anywhere on foot. He kept chasing the duck and two more cast members joined in. This went on for 5-10 minutes and was so entertaining to watch; the crowd was cracking up. Finally he flew over the crowd back to one of the ponds right before the parade came. It was a great pre-show.

The guilty duck:

Duck parade.jpg

Actually the pre-show was a Frozen float that came down the street before the parade started.

Frozen 1.jpg

Frozen 2.jpg

Then the parade came and we really enjoyed watching all the performers and floats.

Parade 5.jpg

Pararde 1.jpg

Parade 2.jpg

Parade 3.jpg

Parade 4.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
After the parade, we went through Adventureland and stopped at Bengal BBQ for a small dinner. I got one of the beef skewers and Shallon had a chicken one. Yum! We wanted to keep it to a small dinner tonight because we had reserved the Fantasmic Dessert package for later. Just like the World of Color, I wanted to make sure we had reserved seating for this show so Shallon could see since this was a standing only show. Plus I didn’t want to have to spend a couple hours waiting to stake out a good spot. So after we finished our dinner it was time to check in for our Fantasmic Package. It wasn’t time yet for the show but with the Dessert Package you go early and pick out your seats and then return later for the show and your specific seats are reserved for you. After we checked in we wandered around for a while and returned at 8:30 for the 9:00 show. When we got to our seats, we had an assigned waitress for our couple rows. She brought us our dessert boxes and also provided us with unlimited drinks all night like coffee, tea, cocoa, pop, water, etc. The pop and water they brought was in cans and bottles which was nice and we even took a couple extra waters with us when we left. Now I didn’t take a picture of what was in the dessert boxes (major fail). It must have been because I was so excited to dig in. Our waitress did take a picture of us after a bit but we had already eaten a bunch at that point.

Fant.jpg

Now these dessert boxes had a ton of things in them including cookies, cakes, candies, cheese, crackers, fruit, etc and were packed full. We could not even finish everything, although we did try. Fantasmic was very different than WDW, I loved it here. After Fantasmic, we were allowed to stay in our seats and watch the fireworks which started right after. I’m sure it wasn’t as perfect as being in front of the castle but it was nice to stay put and not have to hurry over there. We loved the fireworks too. Then we headed out with the herds.

We stopped at Guest Services on the way out to change the time of our brunch reservations for the next morning at Goofy’s Kitchen. We spent about 15 minutes in there and they couldn’t find our reservation. The Cast member kept implying that maybe we didn’t really have reservations. Now I knew we did but I didn’t have my phone with me since I usually unplug on vacation so I didn’t have my reservation # handy. But I knew we did have reservations. The care and concern from this Guest Services encounter just didn’t exist. Oh well, we’ll deal with it in the morning. We rode the bus back to the condo and slept real well again.

SharonD

Just finished the Alaska portion and enjoyed it. Great photos! I think my favorite is Shallon sleeping with Olaf - that's contentment.

Cesar R M

wait a minute, I'm pretty sure I seen you on the Wonder..
where you there on Sept 1-7 on the Alaska trip?

omg yes! we were in the same trip!
I think we shared a few parts of the trip as well (like the WhitePass Train from Fraser to Skagway)

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Heading back in, we passed one of the glaciers called Eagle Glacier. The sky had cleared up quite a bit so the captain stopped for a nice photo-op. There was a tall rock right in front of the glacier and right on the tip of that rock lands an eagle. You know it’s a great photo-op when the captain pulls out his own camera and opens his window to take a shot of the eagle in front of Eagle Glacier. This was a fantastic trip.

View attachment 69220

Back at the dock the bus was waiting to take us back to the pier. Since we had only 30 minutes until sail away time (the excursion ran over), we had no time to go to town. We still haven’t made it into any of the port towns yet, but that’s not why we came to Alaska anyway. We were planning on hitting town with our original 2 ½ tour with the floatplane. But this tour was about 5 ½ hours. Back on the ship the first Pixar Pals was going on in the lobby but it was already in full swing and very crowded so we couldn’t even weasel our way in. The other one was taking place around 10:30pm. Don’t think we’ll make that one either. We went and got ready for dinner which was in Animator’s Palate tonight. It was nice to re-cap all of the excursions of the day with fellow table mates, especially since we weren’t at dinner the night before. Some of our table mates took helicopters to the top of the glacier, went kayaking, bear watching at the salmon ladder, etc. It was great to hear about everyone’s adventures. Tonight’s show was Toy Story-the Musical. I was so excited for this show since I love Toy Story and had never seen this show before. But I was really disappointed; it just wasn’t up to par with the other Disney stage shows. It just didn’t have that exciting get-up-and-go feel about it. Half the audience fell asleep during the show. I was surprised by this, but maybe we just hit it on a bad night or maybe it’s just me.
What a gorgeous view!!!

stillgoofy

Original Poster
wait a minute, I'm pretty sure I seen you on the Wonder..
where you there on Sept 1-7 on the Alaska trip?

omg yes! we were in the same trip!
I think we shared a few parts of the trip as well (like the WhitePass Train from Fraser to Skagway)
Yep, that was us. I remember reading before the trip that you were going on the same cruise. I see you have your TR up also. I've been so busy trying to finish mine but will read yours soon. It was a great voyage, wasn't it?

Cesar R M

Yep, that was us. I remember reading before the trip that you were going on the same cruise. I see you have your TR up also. I've been so busy trying to finish mine but will read yours soon. It was a great voyage, wasn't it?
Yes! only minor annoyances but overall was fantastic!

TrolleyFollower91

Still following along! My mom and I did the Fantasmic Dessert Party last time we were there, and the seats were great! We watched the show in the rain, but the fireworks afterwards made me tear up.

Also, that picture of you and Shallon smiling at each other with the 2014 banner is absolutely precious. You should definitely frame that one! Can't wait to read more!

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Still following along! My mom and I did the Fantasmic Dessert Party last time we were there, and the seats were great! We watched the show in the rain, but the fireworks afterwards made me tear up.

Also, that picture of you and Shallon smiling at each other with the 2014 banner is absolutely precious. You should definitely frame that one! Can't wait to read more!
It was great to have the reserved seats for the show, and the desserts were yummy too. I do love that picture too. We have such a great time together.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Day 14 - Saturday, September 13
I called first thing this morning to change the time of our brunch reservation and they had no problem finding our reservation this time. This morning we check out of the Peacock Suites condo and took a cab over to the Disneyland Hotel. I had scored a really good deal there for our last two nights. We were really excited to stay onsite although it’s not like staying in the Disney bubble in WDW. Today was going to be a non-park day. We had purchased 5-day park-hoppers but had 6 full days here so we chose a weekend day to be a non-park day due to the anticipated higher crowds on weekends. When we checked in at the Disneyland Hotel, our room was ready even though it was only around 10:30 so we took our stuff up to the room. This hotel was very nice and we loved the Disney touches after staying offsite for the past five nights. Loved these tea cup seats in the lobby (although I only got a blurry picture).

tea_cup_chair.JPG

We took our bags up to the room which was right there in the Fantasy Tower.

fantasy_tower.JPG

Loved the little touches in the room like these lights.

room_light.JPG

Our brunch reservations were at Goofy’s Kitchen today right at the Disneyland Hotel. Shallon wanted to wear her Rapunzel dress today. We checked in for brunch and had our pictures taken with Goofy which were included in our PhotoPass+ package (the boot cast really completes the outfit).

g_kitchen_1.jpg

g_kitchen_2.jpg

There was a ton of food at the buffet, both breakfast and lunch choices. They even had a huge dessert table and a make-your-own-sundae bar. There were lots of characters coming through during the meal and Shallon got a chance to meet with Cinderella, Perla, Genie, Peter Pan, Rafiki, Pluto and of course, Goofy.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
After breakfast we wandered over to Downtown Disney as this is also the day we set aside for exploring here too. It was starting to get real hot again so we found ourselves walking through DTD on one side in the shaded section of the stores. They were having a Yo-Yo competition on the stage in the center of DTD so we stopped and watched for a bit but then the heat got to us.

Yo_yo.JPG

We went in and checked out the Lego store which had some really cool statues.

Lego_1.JPG

Lego_2.JPG

Lego_3.JPG

Lego_4.JPG

This was a neat looking entrance to Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen.

Ralph_Brennan.JPG

We stopped in a bunch of shops to look around but held off on buying anything until we got down to World of Disney.

shop.JPG

Like its Florida counterpart, this store is huge and has just about everything. But I found once again that the California Cast Members just didn’t have as much of that “I care” attitude as in Florida. We did find a few things but weren’t really doing a big shopping here anyway. This was a pretty area near the World of Disney store.

DTD_water_fall.JPG

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We headed back through DTD stopping at Marceline Confectionary to look at all the goodies. We always take pictures at these stores because the stuff looks so good. We did buy a couple of the English Toffee’s and I was in love with those.

goodies_1.JPG

goodies_2.JPG

goodies_3.JPG

Well it was blazing outside, already high 90’s so we decided to head back to the hotel and take advantage of the pools.

dtd_hat.JPG

room_kick_back.JPG

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Now Disneyland Hotel has 3 pools and we decided to start out in the pool with the monorail slides to check that out. The line took a long time but it was fun to try once. After we rode the slide we went back over to one of the other pools and found a corner of the pool that wasn’t crowded so kicked back here for a while and cooled down. Just as we were enjoying our relaxation they cleared this pool because someone had an accident in the pool (seriously, the bathroom is like 10 feet from the pool) Yuck! The other 2 pools then went from crowded to mega-crowded so we decided to head back in. These pictures were actually taken the next morning when the pools were practically empty.

dlh_pool_1.JPG

dlh_pool_2.JPG

We went back to the room and changed and soon after we went to dinner at Tangaroa Terrace.

tang_terr.JPG

tang_terr_2.JPG

This restaurant had an island theme menu and atmosphere. I got the Hawaiian burger was spectacular. We chose to sit outside since it was cooling a bit in the evening, maybe 80’s now instead of 90’s. Shortly after a couple musicians started playing music on the outdoor terrace. It was a very laid back area to eat and relax and we enjoyed it quite a bit. We walked around DLH and took a bunch of pictures.

dlh_2.JPG

dlh_3.JPG

dlh_4.JPG

dlh_5.JPG

dlh_6.JPG

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Then we headed up to the room for an early night in.

dlh_1.JPG

It was then we discovered the switch on the night stand that turned this on. This was the headboards of our beds that lit up with fireworks and softly played music, as if it was a lullaby to put you to sleep.

headboard.JPG

We had another great day.

stillgoofy

Original Poster
Day 15 - Sunday, September 14
This was our last park day and since we were staying onsite at the Disneyland Hotel we could take advantage of the Early Entry at Disney’s California Adventure today. Regular opening was 8:00 and early entry was 7:00, so this was an early wake up morning for us. We grabbed a quickie breakfast of bagels at the coffee shop and ate them while we walked over to the Grand Californian to use that entrance to DCA.

gc 2.jpg

gc.jpg

When we got in the park we went and rode Radiator Springs Racers as a walk on and then grabbed a fastpass to ride again shortly. We took a few photos without the crowds in the park.

town hall.jpg

We rode Luigi’s Tires and had fun trying to navigate those (it’s harder than it looks).

luigi 2.jpg

luigi.jpg

luigi 1.jpg

We walked back to ride Soarin and they were just beginning to let the regular opening crowds in but no one was going top Soarin so we walked right on. After that we went to Grizzly River Run and rode twice without getting off because no one was in line. We got good and wet on the second ride here but it felt great because again the sun was blazing hot.

grizzly 2.jpg

grizzly 1.jpg

stillgoofy

Original Poster
We walked over and ventured through the Redwood Creek Challenge and checked out this area.

rc 1.jpg

rc 2.jpg

Shallon muddled over the rope bridges pretty well with her boot; she was very determined to do this.

rc ropes 1.jpg

rc ropes 2.jpg

I took this picture for @Disneyfalcon (Redwood Creek toes).

rc toes.jpg

We then went back to Car’s Land to use our fastpass to ride RSR again. I never get tired of this ride. We were a bit hungry so we stopped into Flo’s and they were still serving breakfast so we split a breakfast platter.

flo.jpg

It was terrible though and I couldn’t even eat it. Their lunch & dinner menus look very good and I’ve heard good things about them but we never made it back here to eat. Shallon wanted to ride the Silly Symphony Swings so we headed over to Paradise Pier and then afterward we rode the Little Mermaid again. We stopped for an awesome cinnamon roll over at the bakery at Pacific Wharf and this is highly recommended; melts in your mouth.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom