What did you do?

LindsayLoves

I have recovered surprisingly well after the 20 miles on Sunday (thanks for all the well wishes on that one guys), I took Monday off and got back to it on Tuesday. Back to running in the afternoons so posting recaps will be a little off.

Tuesday - 6 easy miles @9:10/mi pace to shake the legs out after Sunday's long run

Wednesday - Yasso 800x10. This was the workout I was most worried about the entire training cycle, 5 miles of running at 5k pace. This was my first time doing this workout during daylight hours for this training cycle which was weird, it made me more aware of where I was which I didn't like at all and resulted in me running the first 5 intervals wayyy too fast. The goal is 3:45 for each 800 and seeing a 6:xx mile pace for two of the intervals had me worried I would blow up towards the end.

1.22mi w/u, 800m @ 3:26, 3:39, 3:26, 3:36, 3:35, 3:41, 3:44, 3:45, 3:47, 3:44, 2min r/i between each set and 1.26mi c/d. Total 8.83 miles.

This workout was exhausting, like zombie shuffle mode for the rest of the night exhausting. Next week is peak week so I am sure I will be revisiting that feeling again sooner than later.

@JillC LI - brag away that is a great time!

JillC LI

Kid definitely has speed. Good for him. How does he compare on the road to trails? (Assuming the XC course is mostly trails)

Thanks. He does all his training on the school track or a local trail (and yes, the races are all trails and he wears spikes) so I'm not sure how it would translate to a road race. But he wants to enter a local road 10K in November so we'll see how that goes.

Amazing job with those Yasso 800s @LindsayLoves! I've never tried them. Kinda scared to! LOL

This morning I got back on the TM for the first time in about 3 months and it s*cked on all fronts. I struggled with a speed workout I did all the time before the summer (but managed to finish it by extending the Rest Intervals from .2m to .25m), and I hated not being out in the fresh air. But it was pitch black outside and I didn't feel comfortable by myself. Guess I'll have to get used to early morning TM runs until next Spring.

a2grafix

Nothing big. A little out and back 1.75 miles in about 17-18 minutes. Overcast, 85, few hints of sun, 90-100 percent humidity, thunderstorms swirling. Unexpected light shower as I ran down Beale Street. Ahhhh.

atrus79

3.11 in 30 minutes on the dot ... 9:38 p/mile. Race on Sunday is looking cool to cold as they are calling for 40-50's in the early morning ...eek!

a2grafix

I know it's taper time with a week out from my next half marathon, but Saturday was another St. Jude Memphis marathon/half training run. I didn't run with the group at 6am and 48F but later in the day and start-finished outside my apartment because according to the 10-mile run, 5 mile mark was at my apartment. With the massive cool dome invading the South, ended up being a perfect afternoon "run around the block" for 10.15 miles in 2:05. Upper - mid 60s, sun sun sun and a northerly breeze.

Felt strong, good run. Stopped/walked when I needed since most of the route was new to me, though I have driven around Memphis a lot. The half way point was the Breakaway running store - water and Gu stop!

Next weekend half No. 7 in Cleveland along Lake Erie and in front of my family. Bring it! Breakaway included several miles from the St. Jude Memphis course, so this was perfect.

Also seemed a good time to run 10 miles in honor of Saturday's Tower 10 miler at WDW.

Texas84

Dopey week 5 in the books. 15 today, 32 for the week. Had to break out the gloves this morning. 44F at start and 60F at finish. Feeling really strong but having trouble with the boredom. Might be time to update the music.

HRHPrincessAriel

25pqxaa.jpg

dreamfinder

Sat was so so. Meant to do a simulated 10k, so started at 7:00 pace, with 1 incline and neg splits on the miles, but my knee squealed in pain at 4 1/4, so I stopped running and hopped on the bike, did a 20min 10k there to round it out. Sun was similar to last week just faster speed work, 12 miles, 3x(3.75@7:30, .25@6:58,6:27,5:56) at 1 incline with 1/2 w/u & c/d.

atrus79

Yesterday had the Komen Race for the Cure 5K. The temperature at the beginning of the race was 43º and certainly something I (nor my lungs) wasn't used to. Was on track for a PR through 2.5 miles, but then my lungs got the best of me from the cold air and I finished right on par with what I did last year. 3.11 miles in 31:33 ... 10:10 p/mile pace ... can't complain. Overall it was a great event and a perfect cloudless day :)

JillC LI

7 miles yesterday morning around my neighborhood with my 15 yo DS on his bike. He is usually not much of a chatter, but we actually chatted the entire time which was really nice - mostly about cross-country and a triathlon he wants to do next summer and about a music honor society he is applying for. Releasing those endorphins really does get people to open up.

TeddyinMO

First off... congrats to everyone who did the Tower run this weekend!

As for me, yesterday was the end of a journey... and the beginning of the next... (long read, sorry!)

So, I found this board back in February as I began a long process to head towards my first 5K. At the time, I had some hopes of doing the 2014 W&D Half, which is how I stumbled here. Although timing/family prevented a trip to Orlando this fall, the idea of doing a half in fall became a goal of mine, and I have spent the past 8 months leading up to it. Along the way, many of you have offered encouragement, advice and answered my silly questions. I can't thank you enough.

In July, I finished my first 10K and set a goal for myself of being able to complete the half in 2:37 (a 12 minute/mile pace). As my training went on, I adjusted my goal downward until yesterday when I lined up to run the MO' Cowbell Half Marathon with a goal of 2:31 in my mind (11:30 pace).

Blessed with the coolest temperatures I've ever run in and a relatively flat and straight first 7 miles, I took off at a pace that was probably a bit too fast for me with mile times ranging from 9:13 to 10:24. Even as I was posting those times, I knew I couldn't sustain them, but I also knew I had set myself up for a goal-busting time if I could just hang in there. Miles 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 brought narrow streets, lots of turns, and the hills. With those factors and my tired legs and mind (the mental fatigue was probably worse), I slowed considerably over those five miles with times of 10:36 to 11:37 (yuck!).

As I hit the 13 mile spot on a road I drive on daily, I took a brief, but necessary, walk break of about 20 seconds and then pushed all out for the next half-mile. Thankfully, that led me to a short downhill that my legs sort of rolled through on their own (at least it felt like it as I had nothing left). As I came around a bend with about 600 meters left, I saw my wife and two boys standing there holding a sign and cheering me on! It was an incredible moment for me.

As I think I posted on here before, I began running because my wife's father was dying from cancer at a far too young of age. I could see in my wife's eyes the fear that my ridiculously fat and out of shape self could face a similar fate at an even younger age. Although she'd never ever say that, I could see the thought was in the back of her mind. I owed it to her and my two kids to get off the couch and do something. With that thought, I began running for the first time since high school.

Anyway, seeing the three of them there as I reached the end of my physical and mental rope really did bring everything full circle for me and gave me the inspiration to push through the last 300 meters or so. I blew them a kiss, looked up saw the finish line and went into an all out sprint at about the 200 meter mark. I am sure I looked ridiculous as every limb was flailing all over just trying to hang on, but it was enough to get me across the line. My last 1.1 miles registered at 10:40, 50 seconds faster than my previous mile.

In the end, I finished with an official time of 2:21:13 (10:47 pace) besting my goal time by 9 minutes. I grabbed the medal and wondered aimlessly for a few minutes until I heard my wife call me. At that point, I crashed on the ground and just sat there for what seemed like forever with my wife and kids and a ridiculous smile on my face.

So this concludes the first segment of my journey into running. Along the way, I have run several races, found a new hobby that I never thought I'd enjoy, turned 40, and had some fun sharing it occasionally. Oh, and I've lost 45 lbs along the way and am just 5 lbs away from dropping below 200 lbs for the first time in more than 15 years (I will hit that goal this year).

I've also decided that I will continue with a goal of one half marathon a year for as long as my body will allow it. In the meantime, I will take a few days off before running a fun 5K with my son at his school on Sunday. Then, it's a short extended weekend vacation with my wife to belatedly celebrate my 40th and back to running about 16-18 miles per week for the rest of the year.

I'll continue to read about all of your achievements and be cheering you on from behind the screen and I may pop in from time to time. But for now, I'll close by saying thank you for reading and for your encouragement over the past 8+ months. You've been a huge help!

Good luck to all of you!

LindsayLoves

@TeddyinMO - Awesome job on crushing your half! Everyone has their own reason to get up and run every day, thanks for sharing your reason with us all.

Yesterday - 5.23 miles @8:54/mi

Today - Tempo run with 5 miles at Half Marathon Goal Pace (8-8:15). 2.51mi w/u, 8:08, 8:05, 8:07, 8:07, 8:09, 2.52 mi c/d total 10.02 miles. When I started this training in late July this was one of the workouts that I never thought I would be able to do, glad to see how far I've come in the past few months. Two more 'big' runs and then its taper time. Also I do not appreciate 66 degrees and 85% humidity at 4:45am in October, a light shower came through as I was at mile 9 and the humidity dropped immediately. Currently drinking all of the water in my office.

Last edited:

JillC LI

Loved your story @TeddyinMO. Congrats on finishing your first Half M and beating your goal by so much. Congrats on everything actually. Very inspirational post.

As for me, 5 miles yesterday afternoon. 9:59 pace although it did seem like every traffic light was against me yesterday so I kept having to wait to safely cross. Should have chosen a quieter route.

Discovered this weekend that my 5 month old puppy can actually run a solid half mile. In fact, she can run it faster than I can! LOL. I had to keep slowing her down as she tried to pull me. I usually just walk her for a half mile and let her run in short spurts, but over the weekend I let her keep running as long as she wanted to, and she ran the whole distance, constantly looking back to see if I was keeping up! LOL. I didn't expect to be able to ever do a decent length run with her because she is small (16 pounds now and not much more to grow). Who knew I might have a potential running partner on my hands when she learns to stay by my side! I'm so excited about that.

atrus79

@TeddyinMO I had the same feeling earlier this year ... as you accomplish more it only gets better! :)

Today was 4.07 miles at a 10:30 p/mile pace ... was feeling sluggish the entire time. Not sure if its the after affects of the race/cold on Sunday or the lack of sleep last night, but I had really had to push through my run today. Hopefully the next run will be back to normal ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom