Photo Editing Tutorials

afb28

Thanks. My understanding is that Ev setting doesn't do anything in manual mode so I guess I'd need to be in A or S?
I do everything in Manual so without the bracketing option in the menu, use the math for shutter speed.

So if the light meter is centered at 5s, then I need a 10s for +1 stop, 20s for +2 stops, 2.5s for -1 stop and 1.25s for -2 stops. That gives me a 5 shot bracket.

I also don't use the bracketing option as I like to have 5 brackets and the 7D only allows for 3.

One other thing you need is a remote shutter release for those occasions when you need to go beyond 30secs, if you don't have one already.

NowInc

Original Poster
I do everything in Manual so without the bracketing option in the menu, use the math for shutter speed.

So if the light meter is centered at 5s, then I need a 10s for +1 stop, 20s for +2 stops, 2.5s for -1 stop and 1.25s for -2 stops. That gives me a 5 shot bracket.

I also don't use the bracketing option as I like to have 5 brackets and the 7D only allows for 3.

One other thing you need is a remote shutter release for those occasions when you need to go beyond 30secs, if you don't have one already.

Silly question, but why not just use exposure compensation? Not sure about the Canons, but on Nikon you just set the stop differences (up to 5 stops in either direction) and it does the math for you...providing its not over 30 seconds.

And then, yep...you should use a shutter release switch (which you should have regardless of length of exposures).

On that same topic, there are some awesome phone apps that can control your camera via USB (some free, some not). You can use this to take brackets of ANY size, as well as countless other features. Just make sure your phone/tablet is charged up ;)

afb28

Silly question, but why not just use exposure compensation? Not sure about the Canons, but on Nikon you just set the stop differences (up to 5 stops in either direction) and it does the math for you...providing its not over 30 seconds.
I suppose you could, I've just never used exposure compensation or Aperture Priority. I only ever use the math if it is gonna go beyond 30secs since you can just move the light meter til it hits that 1 or 2 stop mark.

Just goes to show there are so many different ways of doing the same thing.

afb28

I also don't know if exposure compensation on Canon allows for 5 brackets, as I've never used it. There is a bracket option but it only does 3 brackets so for night time it may not be enough.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Thanks. I do everything in manual also. I'm really trying to up my game from using the preset modes. So far so good. I will give this method a shot as well. Thanks. Yes, I do have a tripod and a remote.

afb28

Thanks. I do everything in manual also. I'm really trying to up my game from using the preset modes. So far so good. I will give this method a shot as well. Thanks. Yes, I do have a tripod and a remote.
The hard part is understanding Manual and once you understand the shutter speed math, it becomes super easy and fun for these night shots.

afb28

Any way you can elaborate on this/point me in the right direction?

Thx

LOVE this thread!
Cutting it in half or doubling it is 1 stop.

So if you're at 1/250th of a second for center exposure, then your +/- for 1 stop is 1/500th and 1/125th.

Typically you only need to know that if you have to go beyond 30secs since you can just move the light meter until you get to the +/- 1 stop or however many stops. But most dslrs don't go beyond 30secs without a shutter release so if your center exposure is 20secs then +1 stop is 40secs and +2 stops is 80secs.

Same math applies for ISO. If you're at 100 ISO then +1 stop would be ISO 200 and so on.

Gig 'Em Mickey

Ok, that's definitely a shot I'd like to get on my next trip, but for the life of me I don't know where that is.

YYs5sWL.jpg

afb28

Ok, that's definitely a shot I'd like to get on my next trip, but for the life of me I don't know where that is.

YYs5sWL.jpg
If you're looking at the castle's front, take the last path on the right and then it's your first left before you get to Tea Cups & Cosmic Rays.

In this pic it's just to the right of the castle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom