Using a phone at the FastPass posts?

The Elf

Original Poster
Two weeks ago we were in MK and noticed two people ahead of us use their phones at the FastPass post at Thunder Mountain. The post lit up green, so it obviously worked!

I wasn't aware of any way of using a phone instead of the Magic Bands, so have I missed something? What was going on?!

Tom

Beta Return
I know both Android, and the new iOS, can use near-field transmissions for Virtual Wallet type purposes, but I don't know how you'd be able to get the transmission info from the Magic Band onto the phone. I guess a serious hack might make it possible, but that seems like a lot of work.

Tom

Beta Return
My bet would be on their RFID cards being physically attached to their phones. There are a number of very low-profile cases/card holders on the market.

-Rob

Good point. Probably one of those cases that holds cash and CCs.

The Elf

Original Poster
I am sure the phones were not in a case. They were white and I believe they may have been iPhone 6s.

lazyboy97o

I am sure the phones were not in a case. They were white and I believe they may have been iPhone 6s.
Do you realize you've just made the story sound even more far fetched? The iPhone 6 was not released yet and Apple has said that for the time being the NFC in the iPhone 6 will be limited to Apple Pay. So you've gone from seeing people maybe use phones to Apple and/or Disney Developers using an early build of something like iOS 9 well before its been spotted in the wild elsewhere well outside of Cupertino.

The Elf

Original Poster
It's not a 'story'. I saw what I saw. I care not one jot if anyone believes me. I'm just saying what I saw.

I have no idea when the iPhone 6 was or wasn't released. The phones were white and larger than my iPhone 4.

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Well, all this thread has determined is that what you saw was an optical illusion. That doesn't mean you didn't see what you're describing. It just means you didn't see what you think you saw.

epcotisbest

Well, all this thread has determined is that what you saw was an optical illusion. That doesn't mean you didn't see what you're describing. It just means you didn't see what you think you saw.
Or perhaps it was a beta test. We don't know what OP saw and we certainly don't know what he did not see.

PigletIsMyCat

I have no idea when the iPhone 6 was or wasn't released. The phones were white and larger than my iPhone 4.

i phone 5, 5c, and 5s are also all larger than the iphone 4. plus some of the new cases are really low profile and designed to not look like a case; it's possible that an RFID would fit. plus never say a hack seems like too much trouble. people love phone hacks and mods.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom