Puerto Rico in talks to host permanent pavilion in Epcot by 2017

Cesar R M

Terrible parade. My permanent back damage can attest to that.

I love it how people talk about things that don't affect them, nor that they know a thing about. Don't you?
why permanent damage?
you were carrying the giant characters?

SilentWindODoom

We've had two people I don't recognize without avatars say they have sources who have denied this (or maybe it was the same person twice, I just read through all the pages so it blends together), but I'm surprised by the lack of input from our usual sources. Not saying it's any more true, just wondering where they are.

T'is a World Showcase, but does any language actually use the words countries? I'd recently read somewhere speaking on the World Showcase the point that Germany was not a country when the park was built. The World Showcase is about cultures. Look at the outpost. That's not a country, but it's still present to represent African cultures. Caribbean cultures are not currently represented, and it would be nice to see.

I'd love to see Roberto Clemente swoop in to replace the dearly departed Erik the Red in our hearts. A rum distillery could have an exhibit similar to the Mission Tortilla Factory (who could complain with free samples at the end of that?). I'd expect to see a Spanish fort housing the pavilion's main attraction, a section of Old San Juan with brightly colored facades holding souvenir shops and a table service restaurant, a smaller more rustic area with wooden stands similar to markets in Pinones and with a nice cuchifritos stand :D. Then, of course, an outskirts of jungle representative of El Yunque. I don't know what kind of attraction could feature but a movie about the history of the island from the days of the Taino to the current people and culture living on even while being part of the US.

Matt_Black

Folks, you're starting to stray off topic - but at least it's not into politics. ;)

You want politics? I'll give you politics!

tumblr_mc5umtKraQ1qlt206o3_500.png

Anyway, I told my sister about this, and this is what transpired...

"That's a little redundant. They've already got Mexico."
"... Puerto Rico isn't IN Mexico."
"I KNOW THAT! DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID?!?"

Cue a bunch of ranting at me for ten minutes.

The Mom

Premium Member
T'is a World Showcase, but does any language actually use the words countries? I'd recently read somewhere speaking on the World Showcase the point that Germany was not a country when the park was built. The World Showcase is about cultures. Look at the outpost. That's not a country, but it's still present to represent African cultures. Caribbean cultures are not currently represented, and it would be nice to see.

At the risk of becoming political - and let's not go there, folks - I am assuming that you mean the Germany pavilion was built before the removal of the Berlin wall and reunification? But there was still a country named Germany - two actually - East and West.

Bolna

At the risk of becoming political - and let's not go there, folks - I am assuming that you mean the Germany pavilion was built before the removal of the Berlin wall and reunification? But there was still a country named Germany - two actually - East and West.

It might actually have been to a reference of a post of mine that I made on the Frozen thread about the relevance of Snow White to the foundation of the modern German state (and I think this is purely historic, not political at all). This was the post (emphasis added now):

No!! People, please stop comparing the combination of Snow White/Germany with the combination Frozen/Norway!!
Snow White is very much part of German culture! It is part of the oral culture that was told from generation to generation and collected by the Grimm Brothers. The collection of the fairy tales by the Grimm Brothers was very much part of the building of the German nation that took place in the 19th century when there actually was no Germany as a state. There were plenty of small kingdoms and principalities. What bounded people together was the common language and the common culture. There was a movement for bringing all Germans together (this movement was even a democratic one, wanting to implement the principles of civil rights and was inspired by the ideas of the French revolution and hence indirectly by the ideas that were the basis of the founding of the United States) and it was very much inspired by artists and intellectuals focussing on the common German culture and exploring it. The Grimm Brothers were very much part of that movement. Snow White (Schneewittchen) is certainly one of the most beloved German fairy tale. It has a strong foundation in German culture and played even a part in German history so to speak.
Frozen is based on a book by a Danish author. The only connection is that the Disney artists used Norwegian landscapes and designs as a basis for designing the film.

The Mom

Premium Member
It might actually have been to a reference of a post of mine that I made on the Frozen thread about the relevance of Snow White to the foundation of the modern German state (and I think this is purely historic, not political at all). This was the post (emphasis added now):

But you were talking about the 19th century - the post I quoted stated that Germany wasn't a country when Epcot opened. I hope it wasn't in response to your post. ;)

Bolna

But you were talking about the 19th century - the post I quoted stated that Germany wasn't a country when Epcot opened. I hope it wasn't in response to your post. ;)

I just thought the PP might have just remembered reading something about Germany not being a country and got confused about timing issues! :) I mean, it has been a long time since Epcot originally opened - so what is another 150 years more or less?? :D

Cesar R M

You want politics? I'll give you politics!

tumblr_mc5umtKraQ1qlt206o3_500.png

Anyway, I told my sister about this, and this is what transpired...

"That's a little redundant. They've already got Mexico."
"... Puerto Rico isn't IN Mexico."
"I KNOW THAT! DO YOU THINK I'M STUPID?!?"

Cue a bunch of ranting at me for ten minutes.
zufLMZS.gif

SilentWindODoom

I actually believe I'd read the point in a Warner Weiss article, and I found it very interesting and true. There was no "Germany" at the time of the pavilion's construction, rather an East Germany and a West Germany, two separate countries. However, in an attempt to avoid politics, they created a pavilion that was just "Germany" a united land that celebrated the countries' shared culture and past history. I know we've had over 20 years of a united Germany and it's become the norm to think of it that way, but when you get down to it, this was a time there there'd been 40 years of division and it was likely considered a far-off fantasy that that would change. "Germany" was a figment of the imagination. It technically wasn't a country.

I'd had my post half-typed in the page for a full day or two before finally finishing it, so I forgot some things I'd planned on saying. Do I think there should be a Puerto Rico pavilion? Having my roots there, I would love to see it happen, and nothing would thrill me more than to get actually good empanadas (the meat in the Argentinian ones we had at the F&W last year had been overcooked to a sweetish slurry) at the World Showcase. XD

But, seriously, at heart, I don't think it would be the "rightest" thing to do. I think it is a rather major injustice that Greece, Russia, India, and Egypt aren't included. I'd also love to see Israel, South Africa, Australia, and Switzerland first. I just really want to see it happen because it would be SOMETHING. Imagine a new pavilion, the first one in decades. If someone does something, maybe it could mean more. Right now, World Showcase is stagnant, but I'd love to see SOMETHING break the ice. As I said earlier, the Caribbean is an untapped culture that it would be nice to see. It could be something much worse.

And yes, people say that Animal Kingdom ensures that Africa and India will never be featured in Epcot, but I greatly disagree that it would be redundant. Yes, these cultures are shown in AK, but only in their architecture and relationship with animals (not to mention a tiny bit of food here and there). There's sooo much more to it, and Epcot could show that: their stories, their music, their people. It would be beautiful.

Also, I'm not a fan of Don Q. I prefer Castillo, although I've lately been going with Palo Viejo because while it tastes horrible (I hate silver rum because to me it tastes too chemically), the buzz it gives is just fun and relaxed, which is what I've been needing recently with what I've been dealing with. We toured the Bacardi factory this spring, though, and the specialty flavors they've got are good for mixing. My mom's been hooked on their Torched Cherry mixed with lemonade since.

ProfSavage

I actually believe I'd read the point in a Warner Weiss article, and I found it very interesting and true. There was no "Germany" at the time of the pavilion's construction, rather an East Germany and a West Germany, two separate countries. However, in an attempt to avoid politics, they created a pavilion that was just "Germany" a united land that celebrated the countries' shared culture and past history. I know we've had over 20 years of a united Germany and it's become the norm to think of it that way, but when you get down to it, this was a time there there'd been 40 years of division and it was likely considered a far-off fantasy that that would change. "Germany" was a figment of the imagination. It technically wasn't a country.

I'd had my post half-typed in the page for a full day or two before finally finishing it, so I forgot some things I'd planned on saying. Do I think there should be a Puerto Rico pavilion? Having my roots there, I would love to see it happen, and nothing would thrill me more than to get actually good empanadas (the meat in the Argentinian ones we had at the F&W last year had been overcooked to a sweetish slurry) at the World Showcase. XD

But, seriously, at heart, I don't think it would be the "rightest" thing to do. I think it is a rather major injustice that Greece, Russia, India, and Egypt aren't included. I'd also love to see Israel, South Africa, Australia, and Switzerland first. I just really want to see it happen because it would be SOMETHING. Imagine a new pavilion, the first one in decades. If someone does something, maybe it could mean more. Right now, World Showcase is stagnant, but I'd love to see SOMETHING break the ice. As I said earlier, the Caribbean is an untapped culture that it would be nice to see. It could be something much worse.

And yes, people say that Animal Kingdom ensures that Africa and India will never be featured in Epcot, but I greatly disagree that it would be redundant. Yes, these cultures are shown in AK, but only in their architecture and relationship with animals (not to mention a tiny bit of food here and there). There's sooo much more to it, and Epcot could show that: their stories, their music, their people. It would be beautiful.

Also, I'm not a fan of Don Q. I prefer Castillo, although I've lately been going with Palo Viejo because while it tastes horrible (I hate silver rum because to me it tastes too chemically), the buzz it gives is just fun and relaxed, which is what I've been needing recently with what I've been dealing with. We toured the Bacardi factory this spring, though, and the specialty flavors they've got are good for mixing. My mom's been hooked on their Torched Cherry mixed with lemonade since.

I would argue that the "India" shown in AK is really more Himalayan and invokes Tibet, Nepal, and Bhutan. Having an "Indian" India pavilion, one that invokes culture and architecture further south on the subcontinent could be a lot of fun. With a trackless dark ride that goes through some of the epic parts of Rama, the Vidas, Bhvagad Gita, etc.... After seeing the Sun Wukong statue at the end of Mystic Manor... now imagine some of the Hindu gods and mythic beast in animatronic form....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom