Pixar Studios idea for Hollywood Studios

Ethan23

Original Poster
Hey everyone,
After hearing about the removal of the Tram Tour and the facilities around it, I decided to do a bit of Imagineering of my own. It's very basic and I haven't accounted much for theming or sight lines, especially around the Monsters Inc. attraction - but check it out:

E8R9tob.jpg

You enter Pixar Studios from behind the Hat (as before) or in the area where HISTA and the Tram tour's building is. The gates will be here, like the ones in the real studios.

On the left will be Monstropolis, with a big Monster's Inc hanging door coaster. The area around it could be done like the grounds of the factory (?) in a monstrous industrial style. To keep the studios theme, there can be cameras and lights just outside of the area.

Toys Story Playland will come over from Hong Kong/ Paris. Personally, I love the area as Paris is my main park. However, I think the space could be used a little better. There should be a small stage and a store in the same style. All 3 attractions will be cloned, maybe with double capacity like the original plans showed - Hollywood Studios needs it.

Let me know what you think!

DinoInstitute

I don't care about playland, I think it would be pretty neat actually, but it really should be near TSMM. Also, I agree, great job with keeping LMA, and like that big Pixar gates entrance

BrerJon

Hey everyone,
After hearing about the removal of the Tram Tour and the facilities around it, I decided to do a bit of Imagineering of my own. It's very basic and I haven't accounted much for theming or sight lines, especially around the Monsters Inc. attraction - but check it out:

Welcome to the world of armchair imagineering (and wdwmagic!). I think elements of that are very good, and fit what many people would like to see, especially on the Monster side.

I think you're scale is a bit off - A Monsters coaster probably wouldn't need that much space for the show building, and you've got about twice as much space for Toy Story as the Paris one (although when you factor in backstage areas etc. it might be OK) but it's definitely on the right lines, and using that backstage pad still frees up plenty of other areas for future expansions, Star Wars etc.

But if they are going to go all out on a Pixar expansion, without it taking space from other ideas, then this does seem pretty much the best way to do it.

Tom

Beta Return
I think you're scale is a bit off - A Monsters coaster probably wouldn't need that much space for the show building, and you've got about twice as much space for Toy Story as the Paris one (although when you factor in backstage areas etc. it might be OK) but it's definitely on the right lines, and using that backstage pad still frees up plenty of other areas for future expansions, Star Wars etc.

If you look at how large the building is for RnRC, his Monsters Inc footprint is probably fairly accurate. It won't have the launch area that RnRC needs, but coasters take up a lot of space, especially indoors. Plus queue, maintenance, vehicle storage and load/unload.

I don't predict LMA has a lot of life left in it, so that valuable piece of real estate would work nicely into a Lucas Land expansion - although it's kind of far from the rest of the Lucas properties.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If you look at how large the building is for RnRC, his Monsters Inc footprint is probably fairly accurate. It won't have the launch area that RnRC needs, but coasters take up a lot of space, especially indoors. Plus queue, maintenance, vehicle storage and load/unload.

I don't predict LMA has a lot of life left in it, so that valuable piece of real estate would work nicely into a Lucas Land expansion - although it's kind of far from the rest of the Lucas properties.
Well, if you shut down the stunt show, all that leaves is Star Tours, and it wouldn't take much to move that. No track, etc...just build the new building, and move the ride vehicles.

Tom

Beta Return
Well, if you shut down the stunt show, all that leaves is Star Tours, and it wouldn't take much to move that. No track, etc...just build the new building, and move the ride vehicles.

I guess if they're going for Star Wars vs Lucas (General). I figured Backlot Express would be converted into something SW and/or Lucas related, since it's sandwiched between the two existing Lucas attractions. We know how they like to not spend extra money, so I fully anticipate seeing lots of re-theming and leaving existing properties.

I'd like to see a major expansion of Pixar, which would mean using the backlot tour and HISTK playground land at a minimum. The costume/prop shop is an essential part of property-wide operations, so they'll need to have its new home built and get them moved, before they can even touch that huge building. I'd put all that in the north service area, if it were me - just seems appropriate.

Get rid of all that support area for the trams and stunt show (and a few trailers that house people who can setup a desk anywhere), and that's a HUGE L-shaped area around the SW corner of the park than can, and should, be utilized.

For the record, as incredible as Cars Land is, I don't want it brought to Florida. It's so insanely unique, DCA deserves to hold the monopoly on it. Any clone would be done poorly (that's a given). Plus, Florida's weather is not conducive to a Test-Track style ride with even more outdoor components.

I'm anxious to see where this is all headed. My fear is that we'll lose some wonderful things like Muppets, Mama Melrose, since they are dangerously located between existing Lucas stuff and the obvious expansion direction.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I guess if they're going for Star Wars vs Lucas (General). I figured Backlot Express would be converted into something SW and/or Lucas related, since it's sandwiched between the two existing Lucas attractions. We know how they like to not spend extra money, so I fully anticipate seeing lots of re-theming and leaving existing properties.

I'd like to see a major expansion of Pixar, which would mean using the backlot tour and HISTK playground land at a minimum. The costume/prop shop is an essential part of property-wide operations, so they'll need to have its new home built and get them moved, before they can even touch that huge building. I'd put all that in the north service area, if it were me - just seems appropriate.

Get rid of all that support area for the trams and stunt show (and a few trailers that house people who can setup a desk anywhere), and that's a HUGE L-shaped area around the SW corner of the park than can, and should, be utilized.

For the record, as incredible as Cars Land is, I don't want it brought to Florida. It's so insanely unique, DCA deserves to hold the monopoly on it. Any clone would be done poorly (that's a given). Plus, Florida's weather is not conducive to a Test-Track style ride with even more outdoor components.

I'm anxious to see where this is all headed. My fear is that we'll lose some wonderful things like Muppets, Mama Melrose, since they are dangerously located between existing Lucas stuff and the obvious expansion direction.
Part of the constraint is that someone back in design thought it would be a wonderful idea to box the park in with the entrance gate road...:p

I agree about Cars Land. It's wonderful, and it truly fits (theme and presentation) with DCA. It should stay there.

Tom

Beta Return
Part of the constraint is that someone back in design thought it would be a wonderful idea to box the park in with the entrance gate road...:p

I agree about Cars Land. It's wonderful, and it truly fits (theme and presentation) with DCA. It should stay there.

Heh...yeah. The Master Planners must have assumed DHS would never need to creep outside its "berm".

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Hey everyone,

E8R9tob.jpg

You enter Pixar Studios from behind the Hat (as before) or in the area where HISTA and the Tram tour's building is. The gates will be here, like the ones in the real studios.

On the left will be Monstropolis, with a big Monster's Inc hanging door coaster. The area around it could be done like the grounds of the factory (?) in a monstrous industrial style. To keep the studios theme, there can be cameras and lights just outside of the area.

Toys Story Playland will come over from Hong Kong/ Paris. Personally, I love the area as Paris is my main park. However, I think the space could be used a little better. There should be a small stage and a store in the same style. All 3 attractions will be cloned, maybe with double capacity like the original plans showed - Hollywood Studios needs it.

Interesting concept.

The TS play area can stay in Paris though. (Grin)

Macca250

With all this going on and the likelihood that the working studio theme will be dropped before long. How would people feel about extending the park slightly forward over some of the existing car park area? That way you could have a new entrance or 'mini-land', specifically containing enough space for the BAH to be relocated and to create a grand entrance courtyard. This would then solve the long discussed problem of the hat ruining Hollywood BV. but whilst keeping it as the parks icon which I feel is even more fitting given the proposed focus for the park to centre around the Disney empire and its properties.

You could then feed guest traffic through to Star Wars land or through to Hollywood BV and Sunset Bv which would be renamed and designated as one of the park's lands; themed around the golden era of Hollywood. That way you would have Star Wars land, Hollywood, Pixar (as suggested above or equiviliant foot print) and whatever becomes of the rest of the park. Just a thought- to me Hollywood BV without the BAH is a great area but likewise I do enjoy having the BAH as the park icon. So what you would get is a nice open area for guests to enter/exit the park through, plus the hat stays (as sadly the water tower may lose relevance as an icon with the park's refocus), AND most importantly Hollywood Bv can return to its former glory. Will never happen I know, but just an idea.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
With all this going on and the likelihood that the working studio theme will be dropped before long. How would people feel about extending the park slightly forward over some of the existing car park area? That way you could have a new entrance or 'mini-land', specifically containing enough space for the BAH to be relocated and to create a grand entrance courtyard. This would then solve the long discussed problem of the hat ruining Hollywood BV. but whilst keeping it as the parks icon which I feel is even more fitting given the proposed focus for the park to centre around the Disney empire and its properties.

You could then feed guest traffic through to Star Wars land or through to Hollywood BV and Sunset Bv which would be renamed and designated as one of the park's lands; themed around the golden era of Hollywood. That way you would have Star Wars land, Hollywood, Pixar (as suggested above or equiviliant foot print) and whatever becomes of the rest of the park. Just a thought- to me Hollywood BV without the BAH is a great area but likewise I do enjoy having the BAH as the park icon. So what you would get is a nice open area for guests to enter/exit the park through, plus the hat stays (as sadly the water tower may lose relevance as an icon with the park's refocus), AND most importantly Hollywood Bv can return to its former glory. Will never happen I know, but just an idea.
The sky's the limit.

Sam Magic

To me it always seemed like it would make sense to turn animation courtyard and the backstage buildings directly behind it into a Pixar Studios type area.

Also, does anyone else think that DHS should be divided into 'Studios'.

Sam Magic

Hey everyone,

E8R9tob.jpg

Nice ideas. And I agree that DHS needs something like this to make it what it can be.

Ethan23

Original Poster
I never thought I'd say this, but I think HWS needs to take notes from Walt Disney Studios, Paris!

orlando678-

I think this is a cool idea. This pixar land should include more movies. I was thinking about Toy story, Cars, Incredibles and Monsters inc. I'd also like to see the catastrophe canyon scene in Orlando's version of radiator springs racers or a completely new cars ride because i think the truck could be Mack. Of course there wouldn't be the water and so but a new action scene could work there

Sam Magic

I never thought I'd say this, but I think HWS needs to take notes from Walt Disney Studios, Paris!
Division wise yes, but thematic wise and attraction line-up wise no. DHS should immerse us into our favorite worlds rather then show how they are made IMO.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen đź’ś
Premium Member

Why not expand into the area where ABC Studio and Sounds Dangerous are/used to be? That's available real estate that's just sitting idle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom