50's Prime Time Servers?

tmm7899

This is the one place that we go every trip!! The first time we went was back in 90's and we had no idea what to expect. We sat down and could see the servers messing with some of the other tables. Well my mom thought that she was being smart and order the Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken. Well she didn't eat everything and our "cousin" told her to eat the chicken and she could have dessert. Well, she decided to hide the little chicken she had left under some of the lettuce. Our "cousin" went through the lettuce and made her eat the chicken and did the airplane. It was one of the best moments of the trip for my sister and I.

I also celebrated my 21st birthday there and all my "cousins" came over and had me do "Im a little teapot". Every time we have gone its been a fantastic time but we are the type of people that have no trouble making a spectacle of ourselves.

PolynesianPrincess

The staff is really good at telling who wants to play along and who doesn't. We've always had great servers. Always making us set the table and elbows off the table and one time we were told to put those walkie talkie things way (cell phones) It's a blast and we love going hee. Plus the pot roast and fried chicken is so yummy!

There is a blurb about it on the website so you know exactly what you're getting into, so it puzzles me when people go and absolutely freak out about the antics. Clearly some people don't do much research before dining there.

JohnD

I had a great time. I had one server, Gary, call me "Sparky". Another server didn't know how far to go, so I got in on the act myself. I had a tight schedule and said, "You won't complain if I don't clean my plate, will you?" If you show you're willing to play along, the server will play along right back.

DisneyDebNJ

We havent been to 50s Prime Time for several years but loved it every time we dined there! Some servers were more *interactive* than others. One year, my son must have been maybe 12 years old, and asked if he could sub corn for green beans... The server said 'Mom made green beans, you'll eat green beans* LOLOL AND HE DID!!! She was a riot! LOL Another year I made the mistake of not throwing my gum out before entering (I figured I would wait until dinner was served) and I kept snapping it.. (bad habit) My server said "SNAP THAT GUM ONE MORE TIME* I got the hint PDQ LOL You really have to be thick skinned in all honesty. It really is a great experience!

Aquira

Original Poster
I'm really enjoying hearing everyone's stories! I didn't really see a collection of different experiences when I searched for it, so I'm having fun hearing them. It's also interesting to see different personality types having different reactions to the whole deal.

R W B

Sounds awesome! I never new this place was like this. Glad I know now because depending on how the day was going I could be a little snippy not knowing it was just an act. Going in knowing this now definitely makes me wanna go here and try it out.

DManRightHere

I'm really shy, but I might have to give this a try. I enjoyed Germany even though being seated with strangers. Our waitress was no good there though, I think she was annoyed we didn't get alcohol.

EDIT: They may gripe about bringing stuff, but they do bring it right? lol.

Aquira

Original Poster
I'm really shy, but I might have to give this a try. I enjoyed Germany even though being seated with strangers. Our waitress was no good there though, I think she was annoyed we didn't get alcohol.

EDIT: They may gripe about bringing stuff, but they do bring it right? lol.
I'd also like to know this! I mean, they do actually being dessert right? :eek:

dinkyandbaby

I have a reservation for my trip extremely soon, and I am not particularly looking forward to the rough attitude of the servers. I hope they will be gentle, but I am not planning on it. I am just looking forward to the food and the adorable 50's atmosphere!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I have a reservation for my trip extremely soon, and I am not particularly looking forward to the rough attitude of the servers. I hope they will be gentle, but I am not planning on it. I am just looking forward to the food and the adorable 50's atmosphere!
I have been eating in this restaurant for years and would never say that any server had a "rough" attitude. In fact, the playful banter has really been toned down the past several years; our server last month was not engaging at all, as if she were working in a non-themed restaurant. We were a little disappointed because the banter is part of the fun of eating at Prime Time! If you don't want to be bothered and exhibit an aura of indifference, the servers will leave you alone. Better yet, speak up and say you are there for the food, not the fun.

aladdin2007

I think the servers here do a pretty good job of fortelling who wants to be bothered and who doesnt. I have noticed that larger families or with kids get most of the shtick, while those that arent or say just a group of two or three, dont get bothered as much. We have never had an issue as a party of two or three ourselves, and have always had nice servers, they left us alone and dropped the shtick, and didnt use it on us, thankfully. I imagine though if you egg them on you will get plenty back lol. They seem to be able to tell right away whos going to be into it and who isn't which really is how it should be. They may make some fun funny comments etc but we never had to put up any of that other mess mentioned above by others.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
First time we went here it was opening time and we had absolutely no fun interaction from the server. It was like being at a normal restaurant.

That is how the last two times have been with us. This past April it was even worse than being in a normal restaurant because the server was poor at that also. Actually explained the menu to us and the table across from us at the same time and walked away and took forever to come back.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We thoroughly enjoy dining with the "cousins." Cousin Tim and Cousin George are two of our favorites. I could see if you didnt' expect it or were one who doesn't like a lot of attention on you, it could be uncomfortable. I've seen them put people in the corner, have folks parade around showing that they ate all their vegetables, etc.. I made a clean plate and it was placed on the wall. Much like Whispering Canyon Café, it is all good natured, but it may not be for everyone.

JillC LI

I don't mind the idea of the interactive playful schtick, but I am a very picky eater, and I've done a good job of hiding that from my kids over the years so as not to affect them, and I wouldn't want someone pressing me in front of them to eat certain veggies when I have no intention of doing so. Hence, I have avoided booking this restaurant over the years. My loss, probably.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
The clean plate I mentioned in an earlier post can be seen in the attached picture. It's all in good fun and as you can tell by my clean plate, the food is good :)

Attachments

• IMG_1290.jpg
    IMG_1290.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 57

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom