Little Mermaid ride, what ticket would you give it?

What class ticket would you give the Little Mermaid ride?

• "E" Ticket

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • "D" Ticket

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • "C" Ticket

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • "B" Ticket

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • "A" Ticket

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

hth1917

Again, technology does not make heart and that is one of the attraction's big failing. All of the Orlando parks would be better with more, smaller dark rides that have still be given thoughtful consideration.

Just so. The flight over moonlit London in Peter Pan is alone worth more to me than a dozen Little Mermaids.

lazyboy97o

I disagree. Advanced technology is a lot more impressive than what is used for AAs in rides such as Peter Pan and Pooh. I'm pretty sure if Pirates and the Haunted Mansion had still figures with no mouth or body movements, they would both be very boring and cheesy. Well.. Maybe HM could get away with a few. But otherwise, the two main scenes would lose their most impressive portions.
The Haunted Mansion was an exercise in old technology in 1969.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Just so. The flight over moonlit London in Peter Pan is alone worth more to me than a dozen Little Mermaids.

Yep... The moonlit London flight sure is packed with serious details! Certainly a beautiful scene!
tumblr_lr2fvlRYhw1qlkfe5o1_500.jpg

-ride stops, lights turn on- "Your ride will continue momentarily!

"....oh.. I could have made that at home.."

Peter-Pan-2.jpg

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
A lot of the figures are static or barely animated. The ghost effects are a big part of why it works so well. It's like with movies, the special effects don't make for a good story.

...Could you revise that? "the special effects are why it works so well. Special effects don't make for a good story." ...:confused:

And I'm pretty sure the average park guest never understands the story in Haunted Mansion. They are only wondering how they got the ghosts to be see-through. Which, is also not really that impressive anymore considering it could be done with projectors..... sadly..

I'm not bashing Haunted Mansion by the way. I love it. It's a classic.

DisneyGirl3820

I love the queue, the actual physical movement of the "clams," and the dark quality. However, with all the technology that was out there when this ride was built, they could have done better. It has nothing in it for the older riders (those who are over 4).

Call me crazy but I don't think this ride will become a "classic." I'm betting that Disney just may change it into a Frozen ride!:D

Fox&Hound

Just wait until we get the Cali treatment and I think people will rethink their negativity. I have ridden on both coasts and saw the video with the fixed lighting and improved AA's (fixed hair from plastic to real), more fish in scenes, added Triton's castle on one wall, etc. And WOW! What a difference! Love this ride!

Haymarket2008

This is far from the best dark ride in all of WDW. Haunted Mansion and Pirates take that title. I think that the Mermaid is a fantastic ride with great design, but it has a lot of missed opportunities. Put the Cali treatment in and reconfigure the end to include a giant Ursula instead of the crappy one they have now. I think it is a great ride, but it is nowhere near the level of the Mansion and Pirates.

madtea_party

I voted it as C ticket. I do enjoy the ride, but there is nothing exciting about it really. It's fun and colorful, but is there really anything that makes it a must-do? In my opinion, unless you are a big TLM fan, it's ok to miss it. This isn't a great representation of Disney's dark ride making abilities.

I find that the dark rides I count as the best have this epic quality to them. Pirates and Peter Pan have this grand scale about them. Haunted Mansion is full of really exciting illusions and so much detail. These rides have a full narrative, or at least immersion. They have a satisfying end, and don't leave me like "OK, that's it?" I feel like for TLM, they focused on getting as many classic songs into it than telling the story of the ride. It just feels a bit thrown together and abrupt. But it is pretty.

Bluewaves

I voted as D ticket, its toss up between a C and D ticket for me, for some of the cheap stuff Disney has done lately the ride is very well done and I wish they would execute like this on all things, not just rides, Pooh is C ticket territory for me, and I think this does take things up a notch from that, unfortunately the Magic Kingdom is pretty much the only place money is getting spent these days.

JohnD

EDIT: The only dark ride I could rank higher is The Haunted Mansion.

What's with "little mermaid is a "C" ticket??? The heck is wrong with you people??? It's definitely at least "D" ticket quality! Because obviously "E" ticket rides are only for thrills... :rolleyes: You want "C" ticket quality? That would be Winnie the Pooh, Maelstrom and Buzz Lightyear. Good lord the Little Mermaid ride is the best dang dark ride in the entire resort actually! (I don't want to hear from those Great Movie Ride fans. You know it's outdated, dusty and old. That's probably a C ticket itself now.) Heck, your classic Peter Pan's Flight is probably considered a "B" ticket now.

Little Mermaid is the best quality dark ride that exists anywhere in WDW. I'm sorry if it does not exceed what you were expecting.. But.. It's still a great ride, whether you want to believe it or not.

Yea yea opinions are opinions. But just because it doesn't match up to a preview video doesn't mean it's not a very high quality ride still. You guys just don't make sense to me. "Ermigerd! Toy Story Mania!! E TICKET!! WOOO!!!!!!......Oh.. that dumb little ariel dark ride? Yea, they didn't make it the way they were advertising it to be. So it's like a C ticket.. pshh."

Now I'm not saying everyone is like this.. But. There's a lot. :p

You're the one who posted the poll, so please don't complain if you don't like the result. I voted it a C ticket also. It's a nice ride but nothing to get too excited about. The best thing going for it is Ursula. Unless and until the Yeti is fixed on Everest, it's probably the best audio-animatronic figure at WDW. The rest of the ride has a cheap plastic feel including a disco ball in the main dancing scene.

WondersOfLife

Original Poster
You're the one who posted the poll, so please don't complain if you don't like the result.

I have a right to complain against other opinions. Everyone seems to do that on these forums anyways.

Pirates and Peter Pan have this grand scale about them. They have a satisfying end, and don't leave me like "OK, that's it?"

I disagree again, with Peter Pan. Peter Pan is probably the most "thrown together" attraction, getting in as many scenes as possible in such a small building, and it is definitely more of an "OK, that's it?" ride than Little Mermaid is. Heck, that's exactly what a majority of people say after getting off Peter Pan after waiting 40 minutes for the ride.

lazyboy97o

Just wait until we get the Cali treatment and I think people will rethink their negativity. I have ridden on both coasts and saw the video with the fixed lighting and improved AA's (fixed hair from plastic to real), more fish in scenes, added Triton's castle on one wall, etc. And WOW! What a difference! Love this ride!
But what does it mean when an attraction had to be reworked twice in so few years?

copcarguyp71

Why ask what people think or how they would rate something if you do not value their opinions and instead try to beat down their thoughts?

IMO the queue is actually the attraction and the ride is a side effect. We rode last September and scuttle was out of sync one time and another time not even moving. Evil eel's eye was not lit and several AA's were DOA. Inexcusable for a ride so new. The queue sets you up for so much more of an expectation and then just does not deliver.

tcool

I put C Ticket as I really don't know what to call it.(Maybe C- or B+) I have a love/hate relationship with the ride, but the queue is simply breathtaking. Ride eh not so much. Makes a nice addition and gives something to do in the only park were I have not done everything yet.

Fox&Hound

But what does it mean when an attraction had to be reworked twice in so few years?

I think it shows that when Disney does things on the cheap, they get called on it, and at least are willing to go back and fix it.

Maybe if people complained more we would not get stuck with crap like Chester and Hesters....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom