Calling All OC Beach Experts . . .

Blueliner

Original Poster
I have a conference at the La Quinta Resort & Club in early December. I love that place and can't wait to get there! My wife and I are going to be flying into John Wayne on Thursday late morning (thanks Southwest Companion Pass!), driving out to the desert for the conference Thursday night-Saturday morning, and then heading back into Orange County late Saturday morning.

My thought right now is that we might buy 2-day no-hopper tickets and spend some time in the parks Saturday evening and all day Sunday.

I was thinking it might be nice to spend some time Saturday afternoon on the coast somewhere. We spent time at Crystal Cove State Park during our last trip to California, so I am thinking more of a spot for a leisurely stroll on the waterfront, maybe peek in a few shops, and grab something at a casual eatery.

I am trying to pick a spot among: Dana Point, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Seal Beach, and Long Beach.

My gut feeling is that Dana Point might be just a little too far away. I am thinking that maybe a combination of Seal Beach and Long Beach might fit pretty well, although Huntington Beach also seems like it could work.

What do you guys think?

TP2000

Your description of "a spot for a leisurely stroll on the waterfront, maybe peek in a few shops, and grab something at a casual eatery" sounds exactly like Laguna Beach. Newport Beach, or more specifically Balboa Island and the nearby pier, is a close second. But Laguna Beach has a lot more dining/retail to offer, and a prettier beach set amongst the cliffs.

Dana Point is a nice harbor and marina, but the "beach" is much farther south and the dining/retail at Dana Point is a mile away up on the bluffs along Coast Highway. Walking to all that stuff around Dana Point won't be an option, you'll need to drive and park to each varying area.

Huntington Beach is walkable but very touristy and the dining/retails is aimed at college kids who've scrounged up some beer and pizza money.

Seal Beach is nice, but really more of a suburb set by the ocean. You'll find more hair salons, dry cleaners and grocery stores in Seal Beach than touristy dining/retail.

Long Beach is furthest from Disneyland and not nice to walk around in. It's also not very safe and if you walk one block the wrong way things get very gritty and urban. Stay in Orange County.

I think you really need to focus on downtown Laguna Beach and its nearby Main Beach. http://www.visitlagunabeach.com/

Blueliner

Original Poster
Your description of "a spot for a leisurely stroll on the waterfront, maybe peek in a few shops, and grab something at a casual eatery" sounds exactly like Laguna Beach. Newport Beach, or more specifically Balboa Island and the nearby pier, is a close second. But Laguna Beach has a lot more dining/retail to offer, and a prettier beach set amongst the cliffs.

Dana Point is a nice harbor and marina, but the "beach" is much farther south and the dining/retail at Dana Point is a mile away up on the bluffs along Coast Highway. Walking to all that stuff around Dana Point won't be an option, you'll need to drive and park to each varying area.

Huntington Beach is walkable but very touristy and the dining/retails is aimed at college kids who've scrounged up some beer and pizza money.

Seal Beach is nice, but really more of a suburb set by the ocean. You'll find more hair salons, dry cleaners and grocery stores in Seal Beach than touristy dining/retail.

Long Beach is furthest from Disneyland and not nice to walk around in. It's also not very safe and if you walk one block the wrong way things get very gritty and urban. Stay in Orange County.

I think you really need to focus on downtown Laguna Beach and its nearby Main Beach. http://www.visitlagunabeach.com/

Awesome advice! Thanks very much. At some point earlier this week I stumbled on a website for a restaurant in Laguna Beach called "House of Big Fish and Ice Cold Beer," which led to my post adding Laguna Beach to the list. That restaurant name, a little extra research, and your write-up have sealed the deal!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom