First time SoCal trip planning

PirateFrank

Original Poster
Hey everyone! We're planning a trip to SoCal next summer and I was hoping to throw some questions out there for the brain trust here. My wife and I are from Long Island and we have a daughter who will be 9 and a son who will be 12.

Our general plan is do approximately 10-12 days -- potentially flying into San Diego, staying 3-4 days in San Diego, then driving up to Anaheim to spend 3-4 days at DLR and finally, drive up to LA (Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Studio City) for 3-4 days there before we fly out of LAX to return home. I expect to rent a car for the san diego portion -- dropping off the car when we get to Anaheim (as we don't expect to leave DLR in Anaheim) and then getting another car before we leave for LA.

Having said the above, I'm curious to hear suggestions related to the following questions:

What are some of the can't miss things in San Diego?
All we've really discussed is the San Diego Zoo as a possible destination. We're not a family that's into botanical gardens, museums or nature walks (perhaps when the kids get older)-- we are more into shopping, beach, pool and obviously, theme parks. I suspect, while we will do some of attraction-based things -- we are looking to do alot of unwinding, beach/pool relaxation in SD. So this might be the lower key portion of the trip. But suggestions are still welcome.

What are some lodging recommendations for San Diego?
My wife has a thing for the Hotel Del Coronado - as she stayed there once when she was a kid. We might be able to swing it for 3 days, but failing that -- what are some hotel recommendations that are central to the major attractions/draws in San Diego?

Can't miss things in LA?
So far, all we've discussed is Universal and finding Walt's star on the walk of fame -- I know, lame, right? Frankly -- we don't know enough about LA to have an opinion one way or the other - so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Lodging recommendations for LA (Studio City, Beverly Hills, Hollywood area)?
Again -- I'm totally lost here and I don't want to end up in a dive or bad location. I came across the Universal City Hilton which might fit the bill. Anyone stay here? Otherwise, better suggestions?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide. I need a point in the right direction and I can take it from there....

Frank

PirateFrank

Original Poster
I should add -- that it appears that this site (and others) have a wealth of DLR information -- especially that most-excellent DLR for WDW veterans thread.....which is why my questions center on things that are not the DLR part of our trip.

Thanks!

GiveMeTheMusic

Definitely spend some time cruising this bad boy:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

The Zoo and Safari Park are amazing in San Diego - they're unlike anything else in the US as far as I'm aware. The Hotel Del is incredible and totally worth staying at; otherwise I'd look into Mission Bay for hotels.

The Universal hotels are perfectly fine; there are also some nice joints in Hollywood (the W, Loews, etc.).

RMichael21

Hey everyone! We're planning a trip to SoCal next summer and I was hoping to throw some questions out there for the brain trust here. My wife and I are from Long Island and we have a daughter who will be 9 and a son who will be 12.

Our general plan is do approximately 10-12 days -- potentially flying into San Diego, staying 3-4 days in San Diego, then driving up to Anaheim to spend 3-4 days at DLR and finally, drive up to LA (Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Studio City) for 3-4 days there before we fly out of LAX to return home. I expect to rent a car for the san diego portion -- dropping off the car when we get to Anaheim (as we don't expect to leave DLR in Anaheim) and then getting another car before we leave for LA.

Having said the above, I'm curious to hear suggestions related to the following questions:

What are some of the can't miss things in San Diego?
All we've really discussed is the San Diego Zoo as a possible destination. We're not a family that's into botanical gardens, museums or nature walks (perhaps when the kids get older)-- we are more into shopping, beach, pool and obviously, theme parks. I suspect, while we will do some of attraction-based things -- we are looking to do alot of unwinding, beach/pool relaxation in SD. So this might be the lower key portion of the trip. But suggestions are still welcome.

What are some lodging recommendations for San Diego?
My wife has a thing for the Hotel Del Coronado - as she stayed there once when she was a kid. We might be able to swing it for 3 days, but failing that -- what are some hotel recommendations that are central to the major attractions/draws in San Diego?

Can't miss things in LA?
So far, all we've discussed is Universal and finding Walt's star on the walk of fame -- I know, lame, right? Frankly -- we don't know enough about LA to have an opinion one way or the other - so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Lodging recommendations for LA (Studio City, Beverly Hills, Hollywood area)?
Again -- I'm totally lost here and I don't want to end up in a dive or bad location. I came across the Universal City Hilton which might fit the bill. Anyone stay here? Otherwise, better suggestions?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide. I need a point in the right direction and I can take it from there....

Frank
In San Diego, I would recommend SeaWorld. It has thrill rides, family rides, shows, exhibits and plenty of options for the entire family. In LA, a good thing to do could be the Madame Tussaud's Wax Musuem (I know you don't lime rose but its definitely worth checking out), In-'N'-Out Burger, and the viewing places for the Hollywood sign. Also, in Anaheim, I defenitley recommend Roy's Hawaiin Fusion Cuisine. It's one of the best restaurants I've been to. Try to eat the Chocolate Soufle Cake, it's heaven. :):D

Walt Disney1955

You've been to Universal in Orlando right? If you have, Universal in Hollywood is inferior. Now, it does have the Studio Tour. That's worth the price of admission. The fact that the Psycho set and the actual "Bates Motel" are still set up is epic. There are also a lot of other tidbits you'll see. If you love movies, you'll love seeing actual filming locations. I know I liked that. Universal Hollywood lacks the rides and attractions though. They're there, but not as plentiful. And there are those long escalator rides to get down to the other section of the park. But keep in mind, it is still a working studio, so that's neat.

Check out the Chinese Theatre in Hollywood. You might find that Hollywood is a bit underwhelming and you might expect a little more glamour. The truth is, while there are certainly some interesting landmarks to check out you might want to take a tour of the place. Believe me, the people who want to sell you a Hollywood tour are legit and plentiful. The tour guide will take you around Beverly Hills, tell you who lives where, etc. Tell you where people died, where they dine, where a film was shot, etc. They all congregate around the Walk of Fame. The only thing I didn't like about the tour was at the end of it the tour guide who was driving us around sort of mooched a tip off of everyone. That I didn't like.

And if you get a chance, check out the Warner Brothers Studio tour. I loved it. Your kids might too, but you definitely will because you'll be more familiar with the movies and shows, past and present.

JillC LI

Hello fellow Long Islander! We were just in LA in May with our kids for the first time as well (boy 15, girl 12). We went to visit family in Laguna Beach (which is beautiful) and we only had one day to tour LA and 2 days at DLR. On our touring day, we squeezed in a ton of stuff: Walk of Fame, Dolby Theater, handprints by the Chinese Theater, visiting Beverly Hills and Rodeo Drive (and the Sprinkles Cupcakes ATM!), the Griffin Observatory and the Hollywood sign, Venice Beach, and the Santa Monica Pier. We had the advantage of DH having spent time in that area doing his dental externship 30+ years ago so he was comfortable driving us all over the place in a very limited amount of time. You're going to have a blast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom