Staying at Port Orleans Riverside in 37 days...

chipndale76

Original Poster
Sorry no - I save up all year for our trip and just make the most of the time I have there and (shock horror) do not make any dining reservations. I just get quick service meals and that works for me. The nearest to anything else was a BOG lunch! I always think sit down will take longer and i will be wasting time. I know for some that is also what makes the experience but I am not a great food lover so find that works for me. Have a great time. We will soon all be there.
We used to always make reservations for each day but this trip I want to it make 1-2 that we know we def want to go to. I don't want all of our reservations to denote where we go each day and when we have to leave to get to one.

Longers

My thought exactly I can change my plans as I like but with fast pass I feel a bit more restricted this year. I did have last year but the paper ones were still going so I didn't really book many apart from days where I knew I wouldn't get to a park until the afternoon. 6 weeks today I will be in the Magic Kingdom I can't wait now.

chipndale76

Original Poster
My thought exactly I can change my plans as I like but with fast pass I feel a bit more restricted this year. I did have last year but the paper ones were still going so I didn't really book many apart from days where I knew I wouldn't get to a park until the afternoon. 6 weeks today I will be in the Magic Kingdom I can't wait now.
Exactly, we ate at great places, but I always felt rushed. I really want to enjoy myself. We are also driving this year as well so we can get all full days in and not worry about our airport pickup times.

Longers

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
These are a couple of my PORS pictures (the favourite ones to get you in the mood) just in case you needed help (which I doubt)

Sorry the top 2 are the same but I can't work out how to delete.

TB4244

We stayed at ASM last year but drove over to POR as we were considering upgrading to moderate this year. I knew we'd have to stay there as soon as we walked in. But it was even more confirmed when we strolled past Boatwrights and over the bridge to Magnolia bend. That was me sold. We booked within 3 weeks of us getting home.

meganwdw

Thanks for the 411. I knew the RGM's were still a little walk away fromthe lobby which won't be a problem since we will probably head to the food court for a quick bite and drink before we head out anyway.

DallasDis

We found driving the car to the main building, and parking there, worked best every morning. That way we got right to breakfast, and head to the main bus stop afterwards.
I completely agree. The walking can be a bear. But the resort is very well themed on the exterior and is enjoyable to walk. However sometimes in the mornings....

jaklgreen

We used to always make reservations for each day but this trip I want to it make 1-2 that we know we def want to go to. I don't want all of our reservations to denote where we go each day and when we have to leave to get to one.

JMHO here, but as a parent who has been taking their kids to WDW since they were 1&2, I think you are right on track with making some ADR. The kids get super excited during their trips and it is good for them to sit at least every other day and eat a decent meal and kind of just sit and decompress. If its just adults then go go go, LOL but in my experience having some down time with little ones is essential. You will love POR, we always stay at POFQ but sometimes share a bus during the slower times during the day and it is not bad at all. And during the busier times like MK closing if the line for POR bus is crazy you can usually hop over to the POFQ bus, which is right next to POR bus, and walk back to your room.

chipndale76

Original Poster
We are still making a few reservations ahead of time which has proven super difficult because we booked only 38 days out. The other days we will just decide on a restaurant based on what park we are at and what's available.

jaklgreen

We are still making a few reservations ahead of time which has proven super difficult because we booked only 38 days out. The other days we will just decide on a restaurant based on what park we are at and what's available.

They don't advertise this but a lot of the restaurants(mostly resort ones) leave space open for walkups. Especially if you go right when they open for dinner. We have had no problems getting into Biergarten(my kids favorite) and Boma every time we have done this. The busiest ones will not do this but most others will. Have fun!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I just checked out of POR today. I've been to POFQ a bunch but never Riverside because I was afraid of the size and busses. I was right to be afraid. So. Much. Walking. I got lost every time I came back from the parks. Always got off at the same place but the directional signs are vague and hard to see at night. I was very uneasy walking around by myself at 1am while being lost for 25 minutes.

The room itself was great. Very large, nice bed, great bathroom/shower. I also had two bad experiences with the food court. The first was with the make your own Pasta station. I made a chicken alfredo thing. Chicken was barely cooked and the Pasta was hard. Inedible and I brought it to the attention of the CMs working the station. They were offended and didn't even offer to make me another one. On the second day I saw some of the longest lines I've ever seen in a WDW food court. I've stayed at All Star Sports during Easter and it was less chaotic than a random Friday in September at POR. I have up and went to Epcot for breakfast.

The busses left a lot to be desired to. I averaged 40-90 minutes to get to a park. Yesterday morning 8 Animal Kingdom busses came through. Zero for Epcot. When an Epcot bus did arrive it was basically full and only a handful of us were able to cram in. Coming back was always much faster for some reason but equally as crowded. The resort itself is gorgeous but I doubt I will return. I really liked the room but I'll stick to resorts with less busses, is easier to navigate, and a more functional food court.

jaklgreen

Those are tough ones to get into. Sending some good luck to you. Hopefully you can get what you want. I know others have said that since they stared taking credit cards some have had good luck getting reservations the day before when others are cancelling. So don't give up once you get there.

Plutos Pal

Just returned from our trip. It was the second time in three years that we stayed at POR and were very happy with everything. We stayed in Parterre Place and I thought that it wasn't a bad walk at all to the Main Building/South Bus stop. On our last day, the buses running to MK were on a weird schedule which caused a large build up of people, but that was the only time in seven days we saw any issue with the busing. Enjoy it! Its a great place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom