Online Checkin Payment

Jabberjaws

Original Poster
So, when checking in online in advance, do you still settle up your remaining balance at the hotel, or do you pay it as part of online checkin?

The reason I ask is I'm planning on using my Disney Visa Reward Points to pay the remaining balance on my room. I know the last time I came I checked in online and when I got to the resort they said my remaining balance had been paid using the credit card I had on file. Since I wanted to use reward points, they had to refund the payment and then take it off of my rewards, which was a bit of a process.

Just curious, thanks!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
If you have a room-only reservation (not a package) the balance should be charged when you physically check in at the resort, not when you use online check in. We are frequent resort guests and always use online check in and the remaining balance is charged to our credit card the day we arrive. If you opt to check in online, tell the CM who assists you at arrival that you'd like to pay the balance with the rewards card.

And welcome to WDWMagic :)

dreynolds1982

@Tuvalu Thanks for the reply! That is actually my old (OLD) account from 2005. I didn't even realize I had one and logged in accidentally with my old email address and posted with that one before I realized what happened!

ratherbeinwdw

So, when checking in online in advance, do you still settle up your remaining balance at the hotel, or do you pay it as part of online checkin?

The reason I ask is I'm planning on using my Disney Visa Reward Points to pay the remaining balance on my room. I know the last time I came I checked in online and when I got to the resort they said my remaining balance had been paid using the credit card I had on file. Since I wanted to use reward points, they had to refund the payment and then take it off of my rewards, which was a bit of a process.

Just curious, thanks!
This happened to the people who were with us in May. What was so bad was that they had cancelled that card once the deposit went through because of a possible breach to that card. When they tried to check-in, they were told that the balance had been charged to their card on file when they did online check-in, but that it didn't go through. Therefore, they cancelled their reservation. If was a total mess. It took them 45 minutes to get it straightened out. I don't know if they ever got their deposit back.
They told them that they put it on your card when you do online check-in, but I've never noticed that before. I'm going to see what happens when I get there next week as I want to use Disney Gift Cards to pay my balance.

dreynolds1982

I just did online checkin and haven't seen any alerts from my card (I have alerts set up for online charges, charges over a certain amt, etc.) so I'm guessing that nothing has been charged yet. I'm not sure when the charge went through when that happened to me. I think it was when I physically showed my ID at the desk, they just auto-charged it to the card I have on file. I think typically they're supposed to ask if you want it on that card or on another card before charging it, but the CM that was checking us in didn't do that. He didn't even know how to refund the card and put the charge on my rewards points. He was really nice, and apologetic about it, but not sure if he was new or what and just didn't follow protocol.

I looked when doing the online checkin and it does ask for a credit card but only says it is for incidental charges during your stay, does not indicate it is to pay the remaining balance. I'd think they'd have to indicate it there if that was what they normally do.

daisyduckie

Recently I have heard about a few people getting text messages while on the Magical Express bus, thanking them for checking in. Their cards were run before they even got to the resort. If you have a specific card you want used, or gift cards, to pay for your balance call before you go and do it ahead of time. Just in case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom