DHS Soundstage 1 Renovation - Toy Storia Mania expansion

mm121

I think your confused. I know some flat rides are necessary but there's a huge difference between the flat rides at Cars Land and the junk that was tossed in Animal Kingdom and HKDL.

Walt Disney World needs rides like Luigi Flying Tires and Aquatopia. They don't need a toy story spinner.
lugi and aquatopia are so slow though, aquatopia could be more fun if it had squirt guns,
and not sure if its true but saw some comment that lugi use to have beach balls.

space42

If they haven't, they've probably thought about it.

You guys all need to understand the basics about park operations and why flat rides are necessary. They may not be something that YOU want, but they serve a purpose.

It's not even theme park operations, it's almost common sense. There's an entire age group Disney is ignoring at DHS, which is why the demand for TSMM is so high.

Where are those rides at The Magic Kingdom?

Next Big Thing

Where are those rides at The Magic Kingdom?
All of the spinners are what I would consider those types of rides for one thing. The tea cups is technically a carnival type ride too, they've just themed it much higher than you'll see anywhere else. The speedway is just a bad go-cart ripoff...but kids love it. Things like this exist in all parks in all forms.

Next Big Thing

I think your confused. I know some flat rides are necessary but there's a huge difference between the flat rides at Cars Land and the junk that was tossed in Animal Kingdom and HKDL.

Walt Disney World needs rides like Luigi Flying Tires and Aquatopia. They don't need a toy story spinner.
This is all just debate over things that aren't even close to confirmed though. Nobody even knows if TSPL is actually coming. That rumor was started by a blog that mentioned it as a possibility. Now that possibility certainly may come true, but there's also been rumors of a version of Carsland coming, so maybe at least Mater's will come. I can assure you Luigi's will never be cloned as the ride system causes them way too many problems.

SirLink

If they haven't, they've probably thought about it.

You guys all need to understand the basics about park operations and why flat rides are necessary. They may not be something that YOU want, but they serve a purpose.

It's not even theme park operations, it's almost common sense. There's an entire age group Disney is ignoring at DHS, which is why the demand for TSMM is so high.

Eh? Look I get the want/need for B and C Ticket experiences. Just don't believe that flat rides are the answer. Look at the MK one could argue that the need for more experiences on the level of POTC/BTMR/SM/Splash/etc. As they are ignoring an age group at at that park.

Part of the unusally high demand for TSMM are: 1)Fastpass 2)Lack of big E-ticket experiences so after guests have done ToT, RNRC and GMR they have to settle for the two D-ticket rides: Star Tours and TSMM.

Take for example the talk of this whole redo as it as been a decade+ since we had a new E-ticket that should be a little ways further up the pole than some of the shelf rides that have a slight retheme.

flyerjab

Jim Hill was pretty much on the money with his details for New Fantasyland back in 2008. A few things got changed here and there but it was pretty similar to what he had said so I see no reason not to believe him now. I've also noticed that no insider has come out to say he's wrong either. So expect a bunch of spinners and flat rides. X-Wing spinner, Toy Story Playland etc :(

If you are referencing Jim Hill, you should listen to his most recent podcast. First, he didn't even speak to SW Land or the front of the park. And regarding Pixar additions, he stated that it is NOT just spinners. I will summarize: Toy Story Playland type area, Monsters Inc Coaster/Ride, Carsland "light" area with a large indoor area including a big D Ticket ride and Flos QS. At one point, he clearly says they are adding C and D ticket level rides in the expanded Pixar area.

And don't forget, Lee (on page 30 of this thread) said that Disney is in a spending mood. Seriously. I think that one single post has about 45 lines now.
Hearing Lee state that along with Hill's hints as to what is coming tells me something big is coming to Pixar Place, NOT just some spinners.

Next Big Thing

Eh? Look I get the want/need for B and C Ticket experiences. Just don't believe that flat rides are the answer. Look at the MK one could argue that the need for more experiences on the level of POTC/BTMR/SM/Splash/etc. As they are ignoring an age group at at that park.

Part of the unusally high demand for TSMM are: 1)Fastpass 2)Lack of big E-ticket experiences so after guests have done ToT, RNRC and GMR they have to settle for the two D-ticket rides: Star Tours and TSMM.

Take for example the talk of this whole redo as it as been a decade+ since we had a new E-ticket that should be a little ways further up the pole than some of the shelf rides that have a slight retheme.
I think the continuing popularity is a bit of a mix of what both of us said. The park itself is short on rides. E-ticket or B-ticket, it needs more rides. Preferably we'll get some of each.

One of the main reasons DHS is my least favorite park (despite housing some of my favorite rides), is because of the lack of relaxing experiences. Aside from The Great Movie Ride, what is there besides shows that could be considered relaxing? You're right, DHS needs it's version of a Pirates, HM, SSE, or even something as simple as the peoplemover. It just needs more.

Figment2005

Well let's look at some of their previous expansion initiatives over the last decade:

4358448274_caf12ac028_z.jpg

Chester-Hesters-Dino-Rama-500x322.jpg

101_0959.JPG

FFFConceptArt.jpg

#thedisneydifference
I'm going to be that guy and say that Dinorama is a very highly themed area. The theme is tacky roadside attraction, and from what I have experienced it looks like a tacky roadside attraction. Disney is spot on with it.

SirLink

I think the continuing popularity is a bit of a mix of what both of us said. The park itself is short on rides. E-ticket or B-ticket, it needs more rides. Preferably we'll get some of each.

One of the main reasons DHS is my least favorite park (despite housing some of my favorite rides), is because of the lack of relaxing experiences. Aside from The Great Movie Ride, what is there besides shows that could be considered relaxing? You're right, DHS needs it's version of a Pirates, HM, SSE, or even something as simple as the peoplemover. It just needs more.

My point is there aren't enough E's in the MK when compared to Disneyland. Hell all the parks are short on those high end attractions. I have a fear that whilst @Lee as said "[they] are in a spending mood", Disney has been in a spending mood for a number of years - they will just do the bare minimum rather than exceed expectations.

Oriolesmagic

I'm going to be that guy and say that Dinorama is a very highly themed area. The theme is tacky roadside attraction, and from what I have experienced it looks like a tacky roadside attraction. Disney is spot on with it.

This is true, but there's only one company who decided that the theme should be a "tacky roadside attraction", and that's Disney themselves. Some, including myself, honestly, feel that it's just a cheap way out for them. Based on what was originally supposed to be in that area (The Excavator coaster, I believe), it's not nearly as satisfying. With that said, if I had the option of Dinorama or just nothing at all back there, I'd pick Dinorama all day.

Next Big Thing

My point is there aren't enough E's in the MK when compared to Disneyland. Hell all the parks are short on those high end attractions. I have a fear that whilst @Lee as said "[they] are in a spending mood", Disney has been in a spending mood for a number of years - they will just do the bare minimum rather than exceed expectations.
It's hard to directly compare MK and DL though. Until the mid 90's, DL was the only choice WDI had for putting rides in in Cali. By that time, DAK was already coming around. WDW got too big too quickly, but it also makes it very hard (and unfair) to compare MK to DL ride wise when WDW has 3 other parks that have needed attention as well.

I've been to DLR and love it. However, most fans or people who defend it over WDW in many ways seem to not be paying attention. Sure DCA got a huge redo, but (just like the question that always gets asked about MK) when was the last time a major E-ticket was built at Disneyland Park? Oh right, mid-90's, Indiana Jones. And since the DCA redo, they haven't built or even announced ANYTHING for either park except a nostalgia celebration next year.

As I said, I love the resort, but to say that things are great right now just isn't true. Much more is happening at WDW right now, yet most won't admit it.

Last edited:

SirLink

As I said, I love the resort, but to say that things are great right now just isn't true. Much more is happening at WDW right now, yet most won't admit it.

Did I state things were great at Disneyland? Nope it just has a higher density of attractions across its two parks than across the four at World. Yes much is happening they are still determined to destroy WS, building a shopping centre at a snails pace ... oh and building Avatar something at DAK that will have taken 6 years since initial announcement.

Infrastructure projects that should have been done years ago aren't thing that make you want to go to the parks its all about the headliner rides and they are all stale at World. DL doesn't feel as stale.

Next Big Thing

Did I state things were great at Disneyland? Nope it just has a higher density of attractions across its two parks than across the four at World. Yes much is happening they are still determined to destroy WS, building a shopping centre at a snails pace ... oh and building Avatar something at DAK that will have taken 6 years since initial announcement.

Infrastructure projects that should have been done years ago aren't thing that make you want to go to the parks its all about the headliner rides and they are all stale at World. DL doesn't feel as stale.
I didn't say you did. I was just meaning in general.

I just think it's ridiculous that they've gone two years of no additions and still no announcements of future ones on the way.

doctornick

It is funny that you complain about certain flat rides one sentence and then promote LFT in the next. Um, that ride sucks and it's not like the visuals of it somehow enhance the theming of Cars Land.

Mater's is a great ride, though, and I'm all for that being brought to DHS.

Lee

Adventurer
I'm still gathering information, but (at least for me) I think my expectations will be met, not exceeded.
What they appear to be planning, at least for DHS, is not the bare minimum.

jdmdisney99

uh the same way that Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland existed years before the movie and Animal Kingdom opened with a ride with DINOSAUR tie-ins years before that movie was completed
FYI Sleeping Beauty Castle was originally called Snow White's Castle until shortly before Sleeping Beauty's release, when the SB walkthrough was opened within. Dinosaur was originally called Countdown to Extinction in 1998 and only changed to "Dinosaur" to promote the film shortly before its release. None of this was opened years before as you say; it was short term promotion with long-term effects.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I recently stumbled across this map of DHS in a permit that was filed with the South Florida Water Management District back in 1989. It shows the area around the park where future expansion was planned. All of these areas have already been used expect C. C is pretty small and has an odd shape so I am not sure what they could do with it.

DHSExpansionMap.JPG

MerlinTheGoat

Well i'm somewhat glad to hear that the information Lee has procured thus far hasn't left him disappointed at least, even if it might not utterly blow us all out of the water with quality. While i of course don't know what Lee's expectations are specifically, he seems to have a grasp on what qualifies as a quality theme park. I assume whatever he's heard so far is probably going to amount to more than just X-wing spinners and other generic carnival type rides. I would imagine a project including only that sort of quality in the new content would come off as a huge disappointment to most rational people here with any sort of standards...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom