Professional Internships?

EpcotSnowWhite

Original Poster
I did the College Program in Fall 2013 in Merch at Epcot, and I have my heart set on working for Disney again (hopefully as a career instead of just a job i.e. in corporate). I'm graduating this upcoming May with a BA in English and I'm planning on applying for Fall 2015 PIs. I've talked to a few contacts in the company about working there and it really does sound like what I want to do. I'm looking at PR, marketing, editing, social media, and areas similar to those.
Does anyone have any experience with applying for PIs? Any advice for making sure you're actually considered and not just passed over at the application stage? I've never known anyone that actually got a PI, although many have applied, so how selective are they? Any insights are much appreciated! Thank you! :)

disney4life2008

First, my undergrad was in English too! :D

Second, I applied for the College Program Alumni PI back in February. The initial interview process is almost exactly the same as the CP. I submitted my application and within a few days had a phone interview. Unlike the CP interview, the PI one was much more professional (of course). You should be prepared to have exceptional answers to just about every question, especially the ones that require you to "sell yourself" to the interviewer. The wait time after the interview can be long and grueling. Typically, a decision will be made anywhere from two weeks after the interview until sometime in May. I unfortunately didn't hear back from Disney until May, which was a simple e-mail stating I was no longer being considered for the PI.

That last sentence broke my heart :(

EpcotSnowWhite

Original Poster
I was pretty bummed out when I found out. The fall wasn't as hard since by the first week of May, with internships starting in June, I had prepared myself to be letdown. But it turned out well, I ended up getting promoted at my current job :happy:
Oh gosh that's rough! Honestly that's what I'm afraid of, but I guess whatever happens happens for a reason. And the hardest part is that since you have to be fresh out of school to apply, your chances are gone once you've been rejected; no second tries :/ Congratulations on your promotion though! Like I said, things happen for a reason, and maybe it was a blessing in disguise?
What kind of questions did they ask during the interview, if you remember any? And did you apply for just the one PI?

EpcotSnowWhite

Original Poster
Thank ya! It was a blessing in disguise as I love my job and best of all, I got to stay with a bunch fantastic co-workers. The only question I remember vividly was "In your opinion, what makes a great leader?" For some reason I wasn't expecting that and I kinda stumbled around with my answer. I only applied for the CP Alumni one.
I'm so glad you're happy! That's truly wonderful :)
And thank you! I appreciate any help I can get :p

EpcotSnowWhite

Original Poster
Have you thought about applying for a second CP and then applying for a PI while on your CP? I know someone from my CP who did a Guest Relations PI after our CP ended in January 2013, and she now works as a full time GR Cast Member at the MK.
I actually have considered that! And I just calculated that if I graduate in May and don't get the fall PI, then as long as the Spring PI applications are out before November (the graduated-within-6-months requirement) I could apply again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom