What did you do?

lukacseven

Ran the RNR Philly 1/2...extremely humid - lots of people down on the course - 4 ambulances between mile 10-12 and several other people sitting on the side of the road being attended to by medical staff. Brief report: well organized start - corals and wave start every 2 minutes - no congestion at any point on course. A little light on volunteers at water stops, but good placement - well marked. Still a little weak on entertainment. 6 bands & a DJ in the first 4 miles (more than in past years), then only 2 bands and some guy with a boom box on the remainder of the course. Seemed to be more focused on huge inflatable things you run through (4 of them). Finish line well organized & secure. Nice medal as usual. More importantly got my miles in training for Dopey!

LindsayLoves

@lukacseven - thanks for the report on the RnR half, the humidity makes Deena Kastor's new record even more incredible.

Took an extra rest day yesterday and plan to shift things around so I don't miss any miles this week. Got back out there today for 5.20 miles @9:07/mi. Less than 40 days until the marathon, which means 3 more tough weeks before taper.

JillC LI

Great Race Report @lukacseven.

Less than 40 days until the marathon, which means 3 more tough weeks before taper.

Sometimes I remember exactly where and when I did each of those final long runs before NYC. I remember one 20 miler right after a week of nonstop rain where the canal levels alongside the bike route I trained on had risen so high that there was water covering much of the path and there were downed trees as well. My dad joined me on his bike for all those long runs, and I remember helping him lift his bike over a few fallen trees. At one point near the end of the run, he offered to let me ride his bike through a particularly deep puddle so my feet and shoes wouldn't get wet, but I told him that my legs would cramp if I tried to switch from running to bike riding at that point and ran through the puddle. Ah memories.

This morning was probably my last outdoor pre-work run for the season. I don't feel comfortable running alone in the dark, and it was dark until a tad too late for me to comfortably finish in time for work. Back to the TM for my pre-work runs. Oh, I did 4 miles at 10:05 minute pace. And it was COLD! In the 40s. Wasn't expecting that.

LindsayLoves

Sometimes I remember exactly where and when I did each of those final long runs before NYC. I remember one 20 miler right after a week of nonstop rain where the canal levels alongside the bike route I trained on had risen so high that there was water covering much of the path and there were downed trees as well. My dad joined me on his bike for all those long runs, and I remember helping him lift his bike over a few fallen trees. At one point near the end of the run, he offered to let me ride his bike through a particularly deep puddle so my feet and shoes wouldn't get wet, but I told him that my legs would cramp if I tried to switch from running to bike riding at that point and ran through the puddle. Ah memories.

That is certainly a memorable long run, hopefully mine are not as eventful. I love that your dad rode his bike alongside you, that is definitely something that would make long runs a little bit more special.

JillC LI

That is certainly a memorable long run, hopefully mine are not as eventful. I love that your dad rode his bike alongside you, that is definitely something that would make long runs a little bit more special.

Yes, after doing 4 months of long runs with me, through rain or shine, hot or cold, he was actually somewhat disappointed that he was not allowed to ride the marathon course with me! But I did this little trick someone told me about in advance which was to have a few loved ones write a few words on small pieces of paper for me to open up each of the last miles for encouragement. People wrote me funny things and supportive things, but the one that meant the most to me as I was nearing the end (both of the race and of my rope!) was from my dad, and it said, "I am right there beside you on my bike, in spirit." He carried me across the Finish Line.

LindsayLoves

@JillC LI - that is a beautiful story, thanks for sharing it. I might nick your note strategy for my race though none of them would be as touching as what your father wrote.

Today was my last session of hill repeats this training period. :joyfull: The last repeat was definitely the smoothest and most comfortable, I felt like I had finally gotten into a good rhythm
1.13mi w/u, .25mi hill x7 in 1:55, 3 minute r/i between each set, 1.94mi c/d. 6.34 miles total

Kristia

Did 3 miles last night and 4 miles this morning. This morning's run was a wee bit slower than I would have liked but I think it is because we ran last night. I think I am in a bit of a running funk. I am not looking forward to getting out and running and it is starting to feel like a chore. I am not sure why, but I am hoping it is just because it has been super busy and hard to find time to run. Feels like we are constantly on the go and don't have a lot of time to just sit and relax! We need to get the miles in for our 2 halfs coming up. After that hopefully things will calm down and I can just run for the fun of it.

Kristia

@lukacseven - Good to hear about RNR Philly! I didn't run it this year since I wanted to try a different half this fall. I think I am glad I didn't. I love that race, but the humidity would have killed me! I haven't seen as many complaints as last year about running out of food, water and medals, so hopefully things are improving!

dreamfinder

Ehh, now that I'm back from a broken laptop assorted runs/training over the last week. Today was bike, yesterday was 3x1600@6:10 with 400 RI.

After a week and a half of rainy cold weather, I have cough a cold. Do any of you run when you have a cold? Tuesday it was so bad I slept most of the day, but it was an off day for running. Yesterday I was feeling better, but I skipped my run which I hate doing.

Run through it. My doc has told me that getting out and running/exercising helps to clear out the body. It may suck while you are running, but she swears it gets you back to top form faster. And I usually feel better afterwards.

JillC LI

I think I am in a bit of a running funk. I am not looking forward to getting out and running and it is starting to feel like a chore. I am not sure why, but I am hoping it is just because it has been super busy and hard to find time to run. Feels like we are constantly on the go and don't have a lot of time to just sit and relax! We need to get the miles in for our 2 halfs coming up. After that hopefully things will calm down and I can just run for the fun of it.

I think this is why I don't race very often. I suppose having a race date on the calendar gives some people motivation, but I like running without the pressure of training for a race - I run because I want to. I could go 2 years without a race, but I still run consistently 3-4 times per week, including 1 day of speed work per week. My long run stays below 10 miles for the most part, and I just enjoy my running. Once in awhile I'll decide to train for something and then I'll kick it into gear with more mileage, but that's not something I need to push me to run consistently. In the last 12 months I ran two Halfs and one 10K which is more racing than I had done in the 4 years before that! LOL

@LindsayLoves, please feel free to do the notes trick. Just make sure you put them in a ziploc and pin them to your clothes so you don't lose them! I actually told two young women what I had done while I was at the NYC Start area hanging out for hours and looking for someone to talk to. They decided to write each other notes right then and there! Btw, I assume you know you will have a LONG wait at the Start. Bring a bag to sit on and bring TP for the portopotties because they ran out.

Texas84

I was dreading the pre-work HH Wednesday 6-miler today. Have never done more than 5 before work. But it wasn't that bad and was fast with the cool temps. Honestly, not looking forward to 7 & 8, dodging school buses.

Kristia

@JillC LI I think sometimes I need the motivation of a race to keep me running. It is all worth it when race day comes but maybe I need to take a racing break. After the Wine and Dine Half, I don't think we will have another race of any great distance till the Broad Street 10 miler in May. I will probably run a few 5k races since they don't put a lot of pressure on me but it will also keep me running so I am not too slow. :)

LindsayLoves

@Texas84 - by the time you work up to those 7-8 milers before work they will be nothing to you. When I began this training cycle seeing 8-10 mile runs before work on the schedule was laughable, but once I got over the initial mental hurdle they aren't that bad. I am up early enough I don't have to dodge school buses, rouge raccoons are more of a hazard to me.

@JillC LI - Thanks for the t.p. tip, I added it to my longgg list of stuff to bring with me to that start. I am not checking a bag so I have very little room for error. I was also wondering how you kept those notes dry, even on the coldest days I soak through with sweat.

@dreamfinder - Ugh I did not like that story. Let the people have their free 50k, people will still flock from all over the place for a Rocky 5k/10k if its available. I don't see those races in any kind of competition with one another at all.

Today 6.32 mi @ 8:32/mi, this was supposed to be a marathon goal pace but I pushed it because this is the first time in two weeks I felt energized for a run and because the subway was late and I had to make up time to get the miles in.

JillC LI

@JillC LI I think sometimes I need the motivation of a race to keep me running. It is all worth it when race day comes but maybe I need to take a racing break. After the Wine and Dine Half, I don't think we will have another race of any great distance till the Broad Street 10 miler in May. I will probably run a few 5k races since they don't put a lot of pressure on me but it will also keep me running so I am not too slow.

Hey, I am a big proponent of "whatever works for you"! :)

As for me, 4 miles this morning outdoors. 9:41 pace. Feeling good in the 50 degree temp.

@LindsayLoves, are they doing that warm blanket wrap option again this year for people who don't check bags? I wonder what the temperature will be like this year. When my sister ran it, it was 30 degrees and freezing. When I ran it, it was 70 degrees by midday - great for the spectators but a tad hot for the runners. I was lucky though - during the first part of the course in Brooklyn where you are assigned to a specific side of the road based on your number/color, I was on the shady side.

LindsayLoves

@LindsayLoves, are they doing that warm blanket wrap option again this year for people who don't check bags? I wonder what the temperature will be like this year. When my sister ran it, it was 30 degrees and freezing. When I ran it, it was 70 degrees by midday - great for the spectators but a tad hot for the runners. I was lucky though - during the first part of the course in Brooklyn where you are assigned to a specific side of the road based on your number/color, I was on the shady side.

Yes, they are doing the poncho option again this year, and I made sure to check that because it gets you out and on your way faster than picking up a bag. I have worked the marathon the past 9 years so I know the temps can be all over the place. I am going to mentally prepare myself for anything. Speaking of the shady side of the street for the Brooklyn Half this year it was pretty warm so everyone was running on the shady side of Ocean Parkway. All the aid stations were on the non-shady side so you could always tell when a station was coming up because everyone would slowly start snaking their way over about .25mi out.

a2grafix

Though it's been darn near perfect, low humidity, low to mid 80s for the week in Memphis, I worked indoors and said hello to some TurboJam routines with Chalene Johnson and some P90X x-stretch routines. I've got this kink in my lower left back from sitting in front of the computer at the TV station and not working on my core. Discomfort comes and goes. Feels like the sciatica I had in 2010 but not as painful, just stiff.

Two weeks from running my next half I put in 4.40 leisurely, scenic miles in about 45-50 minutes. Along the Mississippi River riverfront park the Grizzlies NBA team has created a fitness trail and so I did some inclined situps, bounded on and off of varying tree stumps, and high-stepped through the "netted-tire" obstacle course -- all after 3 miles -- and continued on my run.

Texas84

Higdon Goofy week 4 complete. 8 today, 20 for the week. Was not in the mood today but got in my zone and finished strong. Mile 6 runner's high then ran last mile at half marathon race speed.

Also realized this current pair of shoes will not make it to Goofy.

HRHPrincessAriel

9.5 miles- 5 outside and 4.5 inside....DH had to go to work and all I could fit in outside was 5. I just finished inside.
Outside 5 at 10:47 pace
TM 4.5 at 13:57 pace
I have zero clue how i can run so much faster outside. I try to do that pace on the TM and nearly die. I feel like a slug when I'm outside.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom