"Pete's Dragon" Remake

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Gross. Have they announced yet whether this is going to be set in the modern era?
I'll be astounded if they're going to spend the extra money to set this in 1905.

When is Disney going to realize that musicals are what's making them money?
I would be more excepting of a nonmusical modern version or just moved forward in time in general. After all Elliot does leave at the end to help other children.

Magenta Panther

Gross. Have they announced yet whether this is going to be set in the modern era?
I'll be astounded if they're going to spend the extra money to set this in 1905.

I know. What's the deal???? It's almost like Disney's freaking ASHAMED of the genre now. Or maybe scared of it. Remember when it tried to disguise the fact that Frozen is a musical in the movie's advertising? Yeesh. It's like the old "no more princess movies" idiocy all over again.

Monkee Girl

First reaction - NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Who could ever be as great as the original cast!

On the other hand it's a non musical now so it's a totally different movie.
Ha, I had the SAME reaction when I saw the title of this thread. I will just do what I did with Karate Kid and Footloose; don't see it and pretend it doesn't exist. I'm stubborn that way.

Actually, if the trailer looks good, I might give it a try. There are some really good remakes; especially when they try and give it a different spin. but it all depends on the story and how much I like it. Had no interest in a karate kid remake...but loved the new Willy Wonka. so who knows.

BigTxEars

Maybe some High School Musical thoughts in their brains still, they did alright with that one and the beach version whatever that was called. I saw the beach one, it was OK, I never did see the high school ones though.

Overall I vote no on Pete's Dragoon remake, might or might not go see it.

Now if they remake Jonny Tremain....that would be cool.

prberk

Maybe some High School Musical thoughts in their brains still, they did alright with that one and the beach version whatever that was called. I saw the beach one, it was OK, I never did see the high school ones though.

Overall I vote no on Pete's Dragoon remake, might or might not go see it.

Now if they remake Jonny Tremain....that would be cool.

Anyone find it interesting that we are here talking about the impact of these classics, which they think enough about to remake, but which have no room on The Disney Channel?

I know that I bring this up often, but it just seems patently obvious that there should be room for the classics on The Disney Channel (even as "Vault Disney"), especially when people talk so passionately about them when they have been off TV now for so long. Returning the later hours to "Vault Disney" (in place of a few reruns of reruns of modern shows they played earlier that day or week) would only expand their viewership, not make it smaller.

Bairstow

Anyone find it interesting that we are here talking about the impact of these classics, which they think enough about to remake, but which have no room on The Disney Channel?

I know that I bring this up often, but it just seems patently obvious that there should be room for the classics on The Disney Channel (even as "Vault Disney"), especially when people talk so passionately about them when they have been off TV now for so long. Returning the later hours to "Vault Disney" (in place of a few reruns of reruns of modern shows they played earlier that day or week) would only expand their viewership, not make it smaller.

It's a little astounding that with the library they own Disney does not operate a "classics" or "vault" channel.
I can remember being perfectly entertained watching their Zorro re-runs as a kid, even though they were 30 years old at the time.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's a little astounding that with the library they own Disney does not operate a "classics" or "vault" channel.
I can remember being perfectly entertained watching their Zorro re-runs as a kid, even though they were 30 years old at the time.
Blows my mind as well...though, it has been nice to see them putting old releases onto Netflix...

If Disney set up a Netflix style classics streaming platform and cbrged something like five bucks a month, Id subscribe!

lazyboy97o

Blows my mind as well...though, it has been nice to see them putting old releases onto Netflix...

If Disney set up a Netflix style classics streaming platform and cbrged something like five bucks a month, Id subscribe!
With Disney Movies Anywhere hey now have a platform to offer sales and rentals at lower prices. Iger's big dream was supposed to be a complete opening of the Vault through a ubiquitous digital platform.

HatboxGhost

I miss Vault Disney with a passion!!!!!:(

prberk

With Disney Movies Anywhere hey now have a platform to offer sales and rentals at lower prices. Iger's big dream was supposed to be a complete opening of the Vault through a ubiquitous digital platform.

I had completely forgotten that this existed!

I miss Vault Disney with a passion!!!!!:(

First, I don't really know about this "Disney Movies Anywhere," but if it really is out there and even the big Disney fans don't know about it, it doesn't seem like it is doing much.

It definitely is not giving the classics the exposure that Vault Disney or even the Disney Channel regular programming of the eighties and nineties (and even some earlier 2000s) did. And I doubt that the old TV stuff (like Zorro and Walt Disney Presents) would even show up there or be given enough of a visibility on a digital platform to be seen.

I think the company used to benefit from keeping the classics on TV -- they developed loyalty, and developed fans that were more likely to stick around for generations, and bring their kids onboard. They were not solely dependent on the shifting tastes of the current day, by mixing the classic and current together in a manner in which both benefited the company as a whole and engendered loyalty.

I swear that there shoulld be a course in studying how Walt Disney himself (and Roy) developed the company. They deftly mixed art and business, often boldly, but in a way that paved the way for generatioins. And Walt clearly knew how to use television and his stable of characters and films (old and new) to bring the audience along on his dreams. Jiminy Cricket was already a generation old when he was using him on TV.

lazyboy97o

First, I don't really know about this "Disney Movies Anywhere," but if it really is out there and even the big Disney fans don't know about it, it doesn't seem like it is doing much.
Disney Movies Anywhere is not about doing anything unless you want what it offers, digital content.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom