Knock First

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sounds like the "Wild West"... is there a reason why people still carry guns like they are "Billy The Kid" ?

Truly curious as it seems a little barbaric.

Quite presumptuous and obviously based on your personal experience and locality. Our domiciles have abundant hostile wildlife and we protect ourselves and livestock. IMHO I'd consider living in a city uncivilized.

johnnylc1980

This happened to me at the Grand Floridian a few years ago but in reverse. My wife and I were getting married at the Grand and we had just checked in, got to our room and put away our luggage including my wife's wedding dress. We went out to lunch with my parents and when we came back our room keys wouldn't work. My parents stayed by the door while my wife and I went to the front desk to find out they have given another family the room. As it turns out while we went to the desk the family they had given the room to came by and were trying to go in to put their suitcases away and my mother blocked them from going in!! It could have got ugly but my mother explained things and they waited outside the room while one member of their party went to the front desk. Its scary because we had a lot of valuables in the room and of course my wife was in a panic over her dress.

In the end everything ended up being fine and they gave us a $100 resort credit for the trouble.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Quite presumptuous and obviously based on your personal experience and locality. Our domiciles have abundant hostile wildlife and we protect ourselves and livestock. IMHO I'd consider living in a city uncivilized.
Thanks for the explanation.

Dwarful

We have had the same thing happen at Disney twice...once at PORS and once at AoA. We also had it happen three times at one hotel in Pensacola...third time my husband told the manager...cancel the reservation we are NOT checking in. They were very apologetic, but still we didn't feel safe.

unkadug

We have had the same thing happen at Disney twice...once at PORS and once at AoA. We also had it happen three times at one hotel in Pensacola...third time my husband told the manager...cancel the reservation we are NOT checking in. They were very apologetic, but still we didn't feel safe.
What hotel in Pensacola?....just so I don't stay there either.

Dwarful

It was a Comfort Inn. The hotel itself was brand new and very nice. But, management couldn't figure out what room they had set aside for us. We went to the first room and someone was in the shower. YIKES. We went back to the front desk and explained that situation. They were very sorry, gave us a new room...got to that room and there suitcases and clothes on the floor and bed. Another trip to the front desk...another room assignment and new key. Third time was not the charm and that was when we said forget it.

unkadug

It was a Comfort Inn. The hotel itself was brand new and very nice. But, management couldn't figure out what room they had set aside for us. We went to the first room and someone was in the shower. YIKES. We went back to the front desk and explained that situation. They were very sorry, gave us a new room...got to that room and there suitcases and clothes on the floor and bed. Another trip to the front desk...another room assignment and new key. Third time was not the charm and that was when we said forget it.
Pensacola Beach or downtown?

rsoxguy

So I recently stayed at Pop Century and I know this is going to sound down right bizarre. We arrived late to the resort and were driving a rental car. I was giving a room in the 80's section and when I opened the door to our room there were suitcases on the bed. I exited the room and called the front desk who assured me that they probably delivered someone's suitcase to the wrong room and they would be down to get them. So I reopened the door, this time turning the lights on and saw a cooler, gift bags, etc. and it was very obvious that there was someone staying in the room. I called again and was assured that no one was staying in the room but I left the area and went down to the pool area and continued talking to the staff who wanted me to stay at the room so they could come get my luggage and move me to a different room. I looked up from the table by the pool just in time to see the tenants of that hotel room return and not be able to get inside as their magic bands were now deactivated. So long story short, and I know it sounds odd, BUT KNOCK FIRST. I would say I avoided a possibly dangerous situation when I was opening the door to that occupied hotel room at 11:30 pm and never would have thought to knock on the door just in case. Just thought I would share :)

Yeah, by the way, as little as I appreciated the whole issue with the magic bands, the really irritating part was how you rifled through my belongings. I was saving the home pedicure kit that you swiped for a special occasion.

RobnRachal

We were staying at ASMo....our first visit to Disney staying onsite (2004). It was our first night in the room and 3:00am people tried getting in!!:eek: You could tell they were trying the KTTW card. It was so loud Hubby and I both flew outta bed! He stood at the door to see if they were going to get in and could hear Asian voices that seemed very angry the door wouldn't work. They tried a few more times and then left. Lucky for them it didn't work, Hubby was in full "protector" mode. I could just see "Rob"zilla and a family of fleeing Japanese :jawdrop:

wow I guess i've been lucky and this has never happened to me, but yeah that's a scary thought. walk in on someone in the middle of something or get shot because they think you're breaking in. *shivers*

acrab3t

I work for a major hotel chain and my word of advice is to ALWAYS deadbolt and chain your door when you are in your room. If you are leaving your room ALWAYS store your valuables in your safe. Housekeeping, security, bellmen, room service and front desk staff all have access to your room. We always knock before entering a room but just by deadbolting your door you avoid an accidental uncomfortable situation. The explanation of how one gets checked into an occupied room is simple. Miscommunication between housekeeping and the front desk. Housekeeping has to log the room as either occupied, vacant or vacant dirty. If they or their supervisor enters the wrong room number as vacant, the room shows as available and the front desk unknowingly checks another guest into that room. Human error, no one is perfect. :oops:

unkadug

I work for a major hotel chain and my word of advice is to ALWAYS deadbolt and chain your door when you are in your room. If you are leaving your room ALWAYS store your valuables in your safe. Housekeeping, security, bellmen, room service and front desk staff all have access to your room. We always knock before entering a room but just by deadbolting your door you avoid an accidental uncomfortable situation. The explanation of how one gets checked into an occupied room is simple. Miscommunication between housekeeping and the front desk. Housekeeping has to log the room as either occupied, vacant or vacant dirty. If they or their supervisor enters the wrong room number as vacant, the room shows as available and the front desk unknowingly checks another guest into that room. Human error, no one is perfect. :oops:
That isn't a valid excuse.

The front desk assigns rooms. They know how long a guest is checked in for.

The front desk computer should alert them immediately that a room has already been rented.

To depend upon the scribblings of some underpaid maid to tell the front desk what room is available is asinine.

acrab3t

That isn't a valid excuse.

The front desk assigns rooms. They know how long a guest is checked in for.

The front desk computer should alert them immediately that a room has already been rented.

To depend upon the scribblings of some underpaid maid to tell the front desk what room is available is asinine.
As I said before, my advice is to ALWAYS deadbolt your door. Your underpaid "maid" is paid the same or more than your front desk clerk. Your front desk clerk is almost always a student and is just as human as the "maid". They only know what the computer tells them so if the computer shows the "maid" had checked them out that closes the account of the previous occupant. These again are human errors and though they do happen it isn't very often. Most of these "maids" service at least 17 rooms in 7.5 hours a day. As long as humans are still cleaning rooms, human errors will occur. Is that an excuse? No, just an explanation of how it happens. I was offering advice, not an excuse.

unkadug

As I said before, my advice is to ALWAYS deadbolt your door. Your underpaid "maid" is paid the same or more than your front desk clerk. Your front desk clerk is almost always a student and is just as human as the "maid". They only know what the computer tells them so if the computer shows the "maid" had checked them out that closes the account of the previous occupant. These again are human errors and though they do happen it isn't very often. Most of these "maids" service at least 17 rooms in 7.5 hours a day. As long as humans are still cleaning rooms, human errors will occur. Is that an excuse? No, just an explanation of how it happens. I was offering advice, not an excuse.
I understand that. I was just musing over how this can still happen with the technology we have today.

Why is human error so prevalent in a business that should hold satisfaction, competence and security at a premium?

(BTW...I'm not calling names, please don't take this as an offense)

acrab3t

I understand that. I was just musing over how this can still happen with the technology we have today.

Why is human error so prevalent in a business that should hold satisfaction, competence and security at a premium?

(BTW...I'm not calling names, please don't take this as an offense)
Trust me, I have never been able to figure out how they could possibly check out an occupied room. It is a hot point for me. With my particular chain we hold guest satisfaction to a very high standard. As with most corporate companies we have committees made up of representatives from each department. One of our tasks was to find out why housekeeping was doing this. We tracked it down to human error. The housekeepers just don't always properly document their clean vacant rooms correctly. They are held accountable for their errors so they do get reprimanded when errors happen.

heath.sneyd

... Came back and I heard voices when I walked in, sent my fiancé back to the truck and I walked in and found that I forgot that I left a tv on when we left haha.
Guilty as charged! Did that last year in Myrtle Beach!
I was thinking that I am from Phoenix and it seems that everyone has a gun out here. It isnt to smart to send someone into the wrong room at 11:30 at night, If you get what I'm saying.:cautious:
I'm from Tennessee, and we'll both be carrying when we are there next year. We always check the state laws and carry properly though. We always carry when we travel.
Sounds like the "Wild West"... is there a reason why people still carry guns like they are "Billy The Kid" ?

Truly curious as it seems a little barbaric.
No specific reason, other than the 2nd Amendment and my family's personal protection.

Fun side fact: My GF (fiancee once we get there in Feb. '15) has a better accuracy rate than me. I'm slightly embarrassed.

R W B

Guilty as charged! Did that last year in Myrtle Beach!

I'm from Tennessee, and we'll both be carrying when we are there next year. We always check the state laws and carry properly though. We always carry when we travel.

No specific reason, other than the 2nd Amendment and my family's personal protection.

Fun side fact: My GF (fiancee once we get there in Feb. '15) has a better accuracy rate than me. I'm slightly embarrassed.
I carry every trip as well. You can't trust people these days. It's not so much the people at Disney World (any things possible though) but its more for that 3am stop for gas at the shady station off the interstate.

heath.sneyd

Ironically, our last road trip fight was over me stopping at 1:30 AM at a 24 hour McDonalds to break and grab a drink. It was over when I said "McDonalds or a "rest area", your choice."

Mad Stitch

This is why I always put the chain on when I'm in the room. I just wonder if this has ever happened when I'm not around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom