The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

jharvey

You've got the buy Chinpokomon! You've got to buy it! You've got to buy it!

Ash: Hey, you must be Roostor! I haven't bought one of you yet, but I'll bet you can transform into Roostallion if you found Diamond Skill 7!
Roostor: Roo-oo-oostor!
Eight: Hey, I'm gonna take your Roostor and put it in this bag, where it will flourish or expire, depending on fate!
Ash: Hey! Is that a good idea?
Eight: Roostors aren't like Chuchunezumis. They haven't the heart for such endeavors.
Ash: Oooh?
Ash: Lambtron! You are losing the battle of your life!
Narrator: But Lambtron's powers also give him a good chance for a new fight. Will he succeed?
Ash: I am sad now, because Lambtron must be very lonely because there are so few Lambtrons in the world. Will he ever find a companion?

Sharon: This doesn't make sense. Are those stupid things supposed to be animals or robots or what?!
Southpark, right?

Nemo14

Yes, this, exactly! This is exactly what many of us here are trying to convey, and many others (understandably) don't seem to understand.

It wasn't just a place to kill some time, knock back a few beers and forget your worries, it was a place to see all that humanity was capable of, and leave with an excitement for what the future could bring.

I was too young to experience EPCOT Center as an adult, but as a kid it was mind-blowing, inspirational, incredibly enjoyable and like nowhere else on the planet. Calling it a 'theme park' seemed wrong, somehow. It was something different, something greater than that in its prime.

Since we seem to drift all over in this thread, I wanted to add that in the past year we've been including a visit to the Kennedy Space Center with our Florida vacations. In a lot of ways we experience that same "mind-blowing, inspirational, and incredibly enjoyable" feeling there that we've lost at EPCOT, the difference being that poor political decisions have turned what was once an active and expanding program into basically a museum reminding us of what mankind is capable of.
For those who long for that feeling again, I highly recommend spending a day there instead of waiting in long hot lines for an autograph from a college kid in a costume. Heck, bring the kids, you never know, they might even enjoy it!

pixargal

So sorry for your loss, @WDW1974. You have such a gift for letting us, the readers, feel your emotions in your writings, and we can feel your pain. God bless you and your family with the strength and peace you need to get through this difficult time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Since we seem to drift all over in this thread, I wanted to add that in the past year we've been including a visit to the Kennedy Space Center with our Florida vacations. In a lot of ways we experience that same "mind-blowing, inspirational, and incredibly enjoyable" feeling there that we've lost at EPCOT, the difference being that poor political decisions have turned what was once an active and expanding program into basically a museum reminding us of what mankind is capable of.

Our trip last fall we did KSC for the day rather than try to goto Disney for a day. Luckily we were in the window when they offered the MegaTour allowing both visits to the VAB and Launch Pad.

Ironically - we couldn't get as close to the Launchpad as usual because there was a Disney film crew onsite filming for an upcoming feature film! So we could walk all the way up to the blast tunnels.

It was interesting to see how KSC had tried to add more elements to be more like a theme park vs the pure museum it was the last time I was there in the 80s.

Figments Friend

Yes, this, exactly! This is exactly what many of us here are trying to convey, and many others (understandably) don't seem to understand.

It wasn't just a place to kill some time, knock back a few beers and forget your worries, it was a place to see all that humanity was capable of, and leave with an excitement for what the future could bring.

I was too young to experience EPCOT Center as an adult, but as a kid it was mind-blowing, inspirational, incredibly enjoyable and like nowhere else on the planet. Calling it a 'theme park' seemed wrong, somehow. It was something different, something greater than that in its prime.

Indeed.
:)
You may have been young, but as noted it still blew you away and you were aware of it at the time.
I can relate.
I was twelve in April of 1983 when i first visited EPCOT Center and i came away a changed person.
Much like yourself, i was blown away. It inspired me in a major way and lead me into a direction that dictated the rest of my life.
Looking back at the Park as it was then as an adult now, i am still blown away by what was accomplished.
There really is nothing to compare it with today as far as scale and scope.
It was a different time back then, and it was certainly a very different Disney organization back then too!

The *Worlds Fair* influence inherent in what we saw at EPCOT Center during it*s first decade of operation helped create that unique vibe.
More so then, as there seemed to be more of a showcase expression of what we have accomplished so far and what we could accomplish in the future.
The tools to do so...or at least ideas for such to provide a base line towards such goals....were on display or in actual active use.
I don*t really see or feel that from the Park now.
There are glimmers of that still...which is good to see....but not at all on the previous scale.

Goofyernmost

For those who long for that feeling again, I highly recommend spending a day there instead of waiting in long hot lines for an autograph from a college kid in a costume. Heck, bring the kids, you never know, they might even enjoy it!

And that is exactly why, staying a prisoner on Mickey Island is such a waste of wonderful experiences. I have always loved the Space Center. It's a long story that I won't bore anyone with, but it was how I made the decision to enter the world of bus transportation in late life. I do so regret that the space program is basically dead now. It was exciting and created a proud vision and sense that we could accomplish anything. Heck, many of the little toys that we enjoy today may have never happened if it hadn't been for the space program.

If there is one thing this country is getting famous for now it is our incredible lack of thinking into the future. It is a societal tendency that has projected into everything. Think, The Disney Company and how it currently does business. It's as if there is no tomorrow to think about.

Cesar R M

I think an alternative to what they're probably going to do could've been to maybe show similarities in the landscapes of Frozen to what is in reality Norway for the movie. There could be a tie in without it being so overwhelmingly Frozen themed. Have Olaf and the moose host it and call it a day. Maybe people will actually sit through the movie instead of fleeing towards the exits. It would still keep the integrity of the pavillion, people would watch the movie and it would still have that all important tie-in.
I wonder why WDI and TDO TDA does not want to spend money on something like that.
Is it too expensive to have "Adele Daseem" and the other voice actors to narrate?
To animate a few extensions? ( I know they are cheap as they reused the voice of Olaf and the videos by clipping parts of the movie in the summer event)

Cesar R M

Sports stadiums must be theme parks too. They charge admission, have themed nights, some offer fireworks displays after games, they have retail shops, some have attractions/museums inside (Yankee Stadium comes to mind). Even have foam heads. Theme parks, all of them!
do all sports stadiums shot fireworks, offer themed nights and have attractions inside?

Nemo14

And that is exactly why, staying a prisoner on Mickey Island is such a waste of wonderful experiences. I have always loved the Space Center. It's a long story that I won't bore anyone with, but it was how I made the decision to enter the world of bus transportation in late life. I do so regret that the space program is basically dead now. It was exciting and created a proud vision and sense that we could accomplish anything. Heck, many of the little toys that we enjoy today may have never happened if it hadn't been for the space program.

If there is one thing this country is getting famous for now it is our incredible lack of thinking into the future. It is a societal tendency that has projected into everything. Think, The Disney Company and how it currently does business. It's as if there is no tomorrow to think about.
It's not exactly dead though, and a visit there is still quite inspiring. I've seen the Atlantis exhibit 4 or 5 times in the past 6 months, and it still takes my breath away.

Mike S

I've only been to the Space Center once years ago on a trip with my dad to St. Augustine. I would like to go again but the people I drive up with just want to go to Disney/Universal.

Goofyernmost

I've only been to the Space Center once years ago on a trip with my dad to St. Augustine. I would like to go again but the people I drive up with just want to go to Disney/Universal.
I don't go every trip, but I have been numerous times over the years. The first in 83 and the last in 09. Even without the active space program that it once had, there is still so many awe inspiring things to see that it is hard to pick one. The Saturn Rocket that once sent people to the moon is so dynamically displayed in it's own building. Overhead yet. Unless you see it up-close and personal there is no way to comprehend it's size. It also has little shows that include a moon scape scene and the actual control room equipment set up like it was for the moon shot is there and reenacted to the point that it sends chills up your spine.

The Imax movie that puts you in a lot of the action is incredible and, of course, as @Nemo14 mentioned the Atlantis. All for one fee, it is a full day of discovery and history and displays of actual equipment used and worn by all the Astronauts that we have heard about for years. I love Disney, but, for sheer love of History, I feel that it is a must.

Not to mention the big ole Alligator that has, for some unexplainable reason, been sitting out in that same ditch by the side of the road for years now. (nudge, nudge, wink, wink):):inlove::)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom