Magic bands NOT required -- Official Disney Reply

G00fyDad

We just got back from Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani and when we checked in I asked for a card and explained I did not want to wear a band. I was told they were not available and I had to use the band. I told the very nice lady that I had been coming for years and I preferred a key card I could put in my wallet. Again, I was was told at the front desk they did not have key cards any more. I complained again nicely, explaining I was not going to wear a band. A supervisor was called over who again said no key card. When I asked how I was supposed to enter the room since I would not be wearing the magicband, she said my only choice was to just keep it in my pocket and take it out when needed. So, as of last week, Sept. 12 check-in, at least at Kidani, no card option, band only. Now it could be I did not demand it so much as request it. It never got to the point where I offered to leave or anything. And before anyone asks, I just am not going to wear the stupid band. It could be the person behind me got a card by being more assertive, but I tried and failed.

You should have demanded a card. If they refused to give you a card you should have told them to move you to another resort that has cards. Tell these people at the resort desk that you know for a fact that you're allowed to have a card and not a band. I personally love the bands but if you don't like wearing a band you should not have to wear one, or even carry it in your pocket. Don't settle for the band if you don't want it. Its not your fault that the CM's and management have not had this information disseminated to them yet.

epcotisbest

You should have demanded a card. If they refused to give you a card you should have told them to move you to another resort that has cards. Tell these people at the resort desk that you know for a fact that you're allowed to have a card and not a band. I personally love the bands but if you don't like wearing a band you should not have to wear one, or even carry it in your pocket. Don't settle for the band if you don't want it. Its not your fault that the CM's and management have not had this information disseminated to them yet.
Well, like I said, I asked nicely three times but did not demand a key card. Keeping the band in my pocket was not a big deal, but I did grab my wallet a couple of times and sprinted out the door without the band in pocket. Luckily wife had hers, or she was inside and let me back in each time I forgot.

Rob562

I have an RFID card linked to my profile from my now-expired AP. (It shows up in the "Magic Bands & Cards" section) I'm going to bring it with me on my trip in November and try using it for various applications instead of my Band (room key, park entry using my new MYW ticket, FP+, room charging) and see what happens.

-Rob

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
Epcotisbest....that is exactly why I posted this...Demand the key card, and they MUST give it to you. The managers at the hotels also do not understand the rules, and its why they are going to do education with them again...and if they refuse to give you the key, make sure they call internal customer service and they will be told that they MUST provide you with a keycard.

Foolish Mortal

Epcotisbest....that is exactly why I posted this...Demand the key card, and they MUST give it to you. The managers at the hotels also do not understand the rules, and its why they are going to do education with them again...and if they refuse to give you the key, make sure they call internal customer service and they will be told that they MUST provide you with a keycard.

It's one thing to tell a guest "they are going to do education", if they actually do it is another story. Employee education in my company has been deplorable the last few years.

epcotisbest

I was just not assertive enough I suppose. And I have a valid reason for not wanting to wear the band, but whatever the reason may be is irrelevant. It can not be difficult at all to have the cards and simply make them available to us oldtimers with an aversion to change.

R W B

Good to know for the future! I personally thought I would really dislike the bands but it honestly wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'll definitely pass this info one to anyone I know thy visiting the parks in the future though, I know obviously not everyone is a fan of the bands.

StarWarsGirl

Serious question here, but has this even been an issue? People have been told over and over from the first mention that Disney would have Magic Bands that they would not be required. Or do you mean that the staff at the resorts are refusing to give you a card? If so, I would have asked to speak to a manager. I know quite a few people that go to Disney and the (very) few that don't like the bands ask for cards each visit. They get the cards without any problems.
We had an issue last trip. My dad does not like the MBs, so he requested a KTTW card. They kept telling him that you could no longer get KTTW cards. We finally got a manager who made it work several days into the trip.

G00fyDad

We had an issue last trip. My dad does not like the MBs, so he requested a KTTW card. They kept telling him that you could no longer get KTTW cards. We finally got a manager who made it work several days into the trip.

But that is kind of my point. Everybody knows that you're allowed to have the KttW card so there's no reason for someone to not demand the card with a CM that knows no better.

StarWarsGirl

But that is kind of my point. Everybody knows that you're allowed to have the KttW card so there's no reason for someone to not demand the card with a CM that knows no better.
Clearly not everyone knows. Avid readers of the boards know. But an average Joe is going to get a band, say, "Do I have to wear this?" and the average CM, who is completely uninformed, will tell them they must wear the band. Hence the need to inform CMs better.

G00fyDad

Clearly not everyone knows. Avid readers of the boards know. But an average Joe is going to get a band, say, "Do I have to wear this?" and the average CM, who is completely uninformed, will tell them they must wear the band. Hence the need to inform CMs better.

I agree. There is no reason why anyone should have to ask for one twice.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I have an RFID card linked to my profile from my now-expired AP. (It shows up in the "Magic Bands & Cards" section) I'm going to bring it with me on my trip in November and try using it for various applications instead of my Band (room key, park entry using my new MYW ticket, FP+, room charging) and see what happens.

I've been able to do everything with an expired ticket linked to my account (except charging, which I didn't try). You may have to disable and reenable the card through the app/site after check in for it to start working for resort functions.

Dwarful

We went in June this past summer and are going back for a short trip in Feb. In June I broke out with a terrible rash...only one in my group to do so. I hope to get the key this time. For me it is a better option than having to have my husband pull my band out of his pocket every time I needed it.

Jeffxz

We just stayed at the Dolphin, so got an RFID card instead of the band. The card worked great for us on the entire trip for park entry and Fastpass.

Did the Swan & Dolphin switch to RFID for the rooms or do they still give you a mag stripe room key?

ABQ

I'd buy a "Magic enabled" Skagan Mickey Watch in a heartbeat.
Getting a new battery for one of mine, so I happened to have it with me, and open. You know the movements are pretty small in these things, wonder how tough it would be to bastardize it and squeeze all the necessary magic band junk inside the case?
skagen.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom