The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Thought i would share a photo of this other t-shirt i made for this venture.

This one features some artwork i drew earlier this year that was inspired by the 'Mechanical Kingdoms' themed art display that i experienced in May at DL.
You may recall my rave reviews of it earlier in this thread...with lots of photos.
Well, all that 'exposure' to greatness got my creative juices flowing and i took pen to paper some months ago to create my own 'steampunk' piece.
Here you can see a certain 'idea guy' and his purple buddy fly off in Victorian steampunk slendor to imaginative destinations on a 'Flight of Fancy'.

For a change, this shirt was not hand painted....but a experiment in ink printing with a shirt company i have been wanting to try.
The original artwork is more on the sepia/brown tinted side, and the finished shirt came out more 'reddish'....but i am still pleased with the final result.

PacNWTigger

I truly wish there was some way you could share your wonderful artwork with Mr. Baxter. I'm sure he would be incredibly flattered and amazed at your creativity and love of imagination. Keep up the wonderful work!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thank you PacNWTigger, that is very nice of you to say.
It would be a wonderful experience to do so in person if ever the opportunity arises.
:joyfull:

He has seen a tiny sampling directly which was a great moment for me last year, but the recent pieces i have shared here he has not seen yet...at least, not that i am aware of.

However, there is always the slight chance Mr. Baxter may be reading this very thread and may be enjoying them from afar.
He HAS read threads here at WDWMagic before in the past....so.....you just never know.

With the 'magic' of the internet, anything is possible.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Well it*s only one day to go before the start of another chapter.
So much seems to be happening at the Parks this week i am elated to have such a menu of new experiences to sample.
AP Events ( treat party at DL, film showings at DCA ), first Halloween Party of the season, Legends of Frontierland game finale, The Subs re-opening, Blue Sky Cellar re-opening, book signing (DCA),Trader Sam*s Mahalloween event...all happening within the time frame i will be in town.
Add into the mix speeding around sculpted mountains, shooting off into space, plummeting into a briar patch, and exploring dangerous temples and this will be quite a week.
Looking forward to discovering new things and perhaps new insights.

First however, one must get there.

Trying to hype myself up for the 6 hour+ flight from coast to coast...and the three hour layover in San Francisco between flights.
It will be a exercise in patience and stamina, but i will have some appropriate themed entertainment to enjoy while in transit.
Namely, some fine musical selections to listen to such as the official soundtrack cassette for *Baxterland*.
I like it *old school*...and analog. Mix tapes rock !

So what is on it, you might be wondering.
Just some swell selections of music that perfectly score the adventure, excitement, emotion, and discovery about to take place.
Stuff like the fabulous *Tomorrowland 2055* themes ( minus the EPCOT tracks ), some DLP *Discoveryland* background music selections ( makes me think of Discovery Bay ), and a few more appropriately themed gems.

Ahhhh....i love random Park background music....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Thank you everyone for the well wishes!
I feel like i am already there thanks in part to your enthusiasm.
:)

I shall indeed be sure to snap many more photos to add to the collection here.
Already have a small list of *musts* to photograph that i missed capturing previously that relate to my favorite *idea guy*.

Not sure at this point if i will have access to the internet while away...so not sure if i will be able to do little updates here and there during the venture as previously.
I*m staying at a new location this time around, and i*m not yet familiar with what this particular place has available for guest use as far as a computer terminal goes.
I don*t travel with *technology* and once arriving i am at the whim of what is available in my surroundings.
I would assume this place i am staying would have something available for use. We shall see.
Of course i will stop by here and comment if i can...to keep the momentum going!

Part of the joy of a experience like this is being able to share it with others who can equally enjoy.
So i welcome all who read this thread with a open door.

:joyfull:

PacNWTigger

Where are you staying this time around? If I remember correctly a bunch of the Good Neighbor hotels have free wi-fi...at least The Annabella does.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
A all-suite hotel next door to the Anaheim Gardenwalk.
I know they have free Wi-Fi where i am staying, but i do not bring any *technology* with me to access it with.
I don*t bring my laptop with me when i travel and i do not even own a cell phone of any type.

In the past at other places i have stayed, they usually have a public computer in the lobby that guests can use to access the internet to print out airline boarding passes.
Just about every hotel i have ever roomed in over the last few years has had this available, so i am assuming this new place i am trying out will as well.
We shall see.

In the meantime, packing has commenced in earnest.
All i have to say after finishing is this -
Sure hope they do not have to do a *bag search* with my carry-on at the airport ....or that may well turn into a interesting experience....

See for yourself!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

*Two trains, two tracks, YEE HAW...!*

Had to quote the traditional end-of-the-night announcement on the loading platform at *Tony*s Mountain*...as i have returned from Baxterland.
Yet another journey complete, but every ending is in reality just a new beginning.
So i return here bearing gifts of further fun insights.

Some neat discoveries to share...and some nice images shall be forthcoming to illustrate this chapter*s story.

For now, rest is in order....as this scene from the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough beautifully conveys.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

The Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland - Chapter Three: *Back To Baxterland*

Where to begin....where to begin....
..ah, best to start at the beginning i suppose.

Let us begin the telling of this chapters tale where all beginnings start when entering the Park..on Main Street USA.
It is quite fitting we begin here, as it was here that a certain gentleman*s story began many years ago.
As folks here are likely already well aware of, Mr. Baxter began his own personal journey right here on Main Street.

Being already enamored with Walt*s brand of film and television entertainment, he was already a big fan of the Park. What started him on his way to becoming directly involved in being a part of that Park was a little show he happened to see on Main Street at the Opera House.
It was here that he sat in a darkened theater and was utterly wowed by the then new *Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln* presentation that had just opened at Disneyland after playing to crowds attending the 1964-1965 New York Worlds Fair.
Tony was so impressed with the show, the story goes he immediately right then and there decided he needed to be a part of all of this.
Marching down to the Casting office that used to be on Harbor Blvd., he applied for a job at the Park and landed his first role - foodservice at the then present Carnation Plaza Gardens.
We have all heard the famous story of the ice cream scooper who became one of the most influential Imagineers...so i won*t elaborate.
For those who may not know the tale, well, one only has to read some of the posts i made earlier in this thread as i am sure i have retold the inspiring story by this point.

So Main Street USA is a place where i reflect on that inspiring story.
It is so fitting then to see Tony*s beautiful window up there with all the people that inspired him on his journey.
Talk about coming *full circle*...

I was delighted to discover that the facade for the Magic Shop, where his window is placed, came out from behind refurbishment wraps while i was in town.
I had noticed pre-visit that it was covered, and it looked as though i was not going to be able to see his window this time around. That would have been disappointing, but i had hopes that perhaps the refurb would finish the week i was there.
And so it did..but with a fun bonus!

It was nice to see that the refurbishment wrap used to cover the building while work was being done had been updated to include a *window* graphic of Tony*s.
So even though the real window was covered from view, you could see it*s printed representation on the wrap.
A neat touch.

When i returned the next day to take a snapshot of that area of the wrap, i was warmed to see it had been removed and there was instead Tony*s REAL window shining in the morning sunlight.
A welcome surprise indeed..but it made me kick myself for not snapping a photo of the *wrap version* a day earlier.

With the Magic Shop signage removed for refurbishment, it was a unique unobstructed view of his window...so i had some photography moments.

So it was a nice surprise to be able to see it again after all!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I had mentioned that Main Street is a place of reflection for a self-confessed Tony Baxter fan such as myself.
It has become a tradition these last few visits to sit on the *front porch* of the Palm Parlor on Main Street when visiting and take some time to reflect on a lot of things, past and present.
Both relaxing and meaningful, i have spent some cherished time sitting in that single corner chair watching the lights twinkle in the tree across the way at night.
Reminds me of somebody...and the twinkling trees he has.

And that is not the only thing one can watch...the *porch* is also a great spot to people watch, especially when you sit there after the Park closes and everyone is leaving.
Just a great way to end a evening in the Park.
Sit and watch the world go by.

In the later evening when hardly anyone is around is even better.
Nothing beats the atmosphere.
You feel as though you are having some private time in the Park to yourself.
Any minute you expect to see Walt driving by in his favorite Main Street milk truck of yore.
The chaotic rush of crowds during the day melts away to a beautiful serene scene.

A snapshot of my view one fine late evening..sitting there reflecting.

Another tradition i enjoy while sitting on the *front porch* is to have a honorary ice cream cone in recognition of that lil* ex-ice cream scooper we all know and love.
This began about a year ago, when i experienced the first chapter of this themed Tour.
Now it is a must every visit...a fun way to acknowledge someone who has made a big impact in my life in uncountable ways.

So Tony, this one was for you!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
At the other end of Main Street is the place where most visitors have their *emotional moments*...in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle.
My *spot* is elsewhere, but the appealing design work of the Castle always leads to some moments where one needs to make time to just stop and take in the lovely scenery.

Here are a pair of close up photos i snapped to capture some of the upper detailing.
Every time i look at the Castle itself in person, or later on in photographs like these, i always find new things to see.
The more you look, the more you see...and when you take the time to see you are always visually rewarded.

A closer view of the detailing on the towers -

Inside the Castle is the charming *Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough* Attraction.
I have mentioned it previously here and shared a few photos during the first chapter of this venture, as it is a unique experience and ties into the theme of these Tours.
For those not familiar with it, you walk through the upper levels of the Castle interior and are treated to some charming diorama scenes depicting key moments from the film *Sleeping Beauty*.
Many of the scene windows showcase simple but appropriate projection and lighting effects.
Well worth taking the time to walk through.

As also noted previously, Tony Baxter was involved in helping to bring this gem back to life after a dormant period of closure.
One could say, he *re-awakened* this *beauty*.
Here is a photo of the man himself presenting a small model of the first diorama in the walkthrough, with various samples of background artwork on display behind him.

And now for a bit of fun related to Sleeping Beauty Castle -

On my previous venture, readers may recall that i had stayed in the pup tent that is set up at the base of Big Thunder Mountain instead of a hotel room.
This time around i had hoped to stay at the Panhandle Hotel, which is located in the town next to the BTMR train tracks, Rainbow Ridge.
I was really looking forward to it, but the Panhandle was booked solid with out-of-town prospectors the week i was in town.
Dang it !!
Yeah, a little disappointing..but the word must be out about what a unique place it is.
Location, location, location...and that new painting inside the lobby is a must see too.

Alas, all seemed lost and as night fell i was getting concerned...i really did*t want to have to trudge over to Harbor Blvd. and beyond and pay some outrageous, expensive room price to sleep in a run down motel.
The campsite at the base of Big Thunder Mountain was definitely in the *basic accommodations* tier, but it was certainly worth the money.
Sure, Disney really overpriced that venue...and the Panhandle Hotel would have been even more expensive to room in, but as a serious Baxter Fan it was one of those *must do* things.
I was finally willing and ready to pay up....but it did not happen.
Not this visit, however. Dang prospectors.

Things were not looking good, and just before i had to leave the Park for the evening to find a place to room for the night i ran into a fellow fan of *Tony*s Mountain*.
He must have spotted the *Baxterland* t-shirt...and knew i was looking for something special.
When i explained my situation, and he learned the Panhandle Hotel had turned me away, he kindly offered me a stay in THIS room instead......

There was of course a catch -

I had to share this room in the Castle upstairs with about 25-30 feral felines.
I am not a *cat person* by any measure....so i actually had to stop for a moment and rethink the offer ( crazy, i know..) ....but the expense of rooming in Anaheim made me make up my mind pretty quickly and i excepted.
Turned out the cats were out all night roaming the Park for snacks, which worked out well for me in the end.
Of course the cat hair was a bit unruly...and i am still blowing my nose...but i digress....

...just a bit of playful fun.

;)

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Continuing now with our Tour, after enjoying a meaningful start on Main Street, let us amble on over to New Orleans Square...

Early one morning i had the pleasure of watching a painter refresh the pun-filled inscriptions on the stone crypts in the queue of The Haunted Mansion.
I was surprised to see this work being done right out in the open while the Park was open....right there in the queue with Guests going by. It seemed a rare moment and i enjoyed the opportunity to see some hands-on upkeep like this in person in plain view.

Nice to see the Mansion getting the love it does firsthand.

Time is never wasted in New Orleans Square, especially when waiting for a table at a favorite dining spot -

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Ah...i rushed away from Main Street too quickly...as i forgot to mention some delights to be had within the halls of the famous Opera House.

Besides being home to *Great Moment With Mr. Lincoln*, it is also home to a nice art gallery of sorts.
For some time it has featured a few neat models and maquettes, along with photographs and concept artwork related to Disneyland Attractions throughout it*s history.

Earlier this year a themed art display was placed at one end of this great hall called *Mechanical KIngdoms*.
On my previous venture this past May i had raved enthusiastically about this steampunk inspired collection and snapped many a photo of the fabulous Baxter-related pieces that were included.

Much to my surprise and delight, this display is still present...so i was able to see these art gems again up close.
If anyone is visiting in the next couple of months be sure to check out this display!
*Tony*s Corner* is still there...and i was able to get a decent pair of photos of some beautiful alternative artwork that was done for his cherished *Discovery Bay* concept.

Here is Joe Rhode*s famous painting of a revised *Discovery Bay* painted in 1984...ten years after Tony himself painted his original stunning watercolor version.

A closer view of a key visual area of the painting -
I so wish this area was actually built !

Right next door to the Opera House is the Disney Gallery.
This is a art gallery that sells some fine original art and various reprinted graphics all related to the many aspects of the world of Disney.
They also sell various higher-end collectibles and figurines, as well as affordable limited edition goodies of all sorts.
Always worth a walk through, and like an extension of the displays within the Opera House, but in the Gallery ALL of the items are for sale.

Here is a fun steampunk-inspired piece featuring a certain mouse....which reminds me of Dreamfinder taking to the skies in his machine.

And always a welcome sight....the whimsical shaped peaks of *Tony*s Mountain*, here rendered in paint on canvas instead of steel and concrete -

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom