Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

acishere

Sooo, any word on what the new Frozen pavilion will look like?

Here's my idea for the Frozen bypass. Maybe even fill it in for more prime Illuminations viewing and additional Drunkytown space.
I would think they would try to avoid obscuring La Hacienda's Illuminations view. That is my only issue with thinking something like this would be built.

misterID

Yeah, and many are current and continue to give money. Similarly, there have been several new sponsors over the years (Ocean Spray comes to mind).
None of the Sponsors come close to investing as much money as Disney makes just in Food each year. Sponsorship helps them curb costs and helps the sponsoring companies have a presence. Disney is just too cheap to want to fund the upkeep themselves on certain attractions when they can fund every single attraction at WDW with NO problem.

A theme park is NOT a television network. That is the embodiment of apples to oranges.
WS has been portrayed on this thread a number of times by a number of poster as some sort of educational area that was going to be ruined/compromised/destroyed etc by bringing Olaf and friends in. That bringing Frozen in was a insult to Norwegian culture and it's people, go back and read as many pages as you want. You will see a ton of examples of just that.

My view is that is not an accurate picture of what WS is and thus Olaf is not compromising or destroying anything with his frosty presence.
The edutainment was part of the theme. It is supposed to be more sophisticated than MK. Theme parks have themes, and fans of EPCOT are sick of the continued disrespect of the parks.

But they lost Horizons because GE pulled out and they didn't rebuild until they got another sponsor. When United Technologies left the Living Seas turned into the leaky cauldron.

I explained what happened to Horizons. And as Lee pointed out, they found a new sponsor that was willing to fund the "new" attraction. There was a big refurb planned for Horizons WITHOUT A SPONSOR.

Last edited:

AEfx

Your logic doesn't make sense to me.

You want to blindfold up to the load dock, remove the title sign to the attraction and the audio of the attraction then ask guests to say where they are?

What about the Viking boats and Viking AAs combined with Norwegian mythology? When people see Vikings, more often than not they think Scandinavia...

You keep taking more stuff away to "prove" your argument. Next you'll blindfold and earplug them throughout the whole ride and have them guess where they are....:rolleyes:

Gosh this smugness is fun, isn't it.

The point was simple, but of course folks have to muddy it in an attempt to deflect from the point and twist and turn it in an attempt to invalidate it by making it much more complicated than it actually is, and in your case, wasn't following the discussion so I had to explain it to you - further dragging it out and getting away from the essence.

Here is the simple point: if you take the ride on it's own, it's a few disassociated show scenes that if one experienced without being told it was about Norway, most people would have no idea.

misterID

This irritates me (from that article)

"Kids can learn everything they want to learn about transportation in a half-hour on the Internet," Baker said. "You've got to give them a Test Track ride.

That's NOT THE POINT.

Look, when I rode World of Motion, and I saw the Jules Verne scenes, I wouldn't have thought "Oh, that's Jules Verne", but it did make it even cooler when I finally read Jules Verne.

And, with Maelstrom, I had NO interest as a kid in learning about Norway, and yet, the ride did an excellent job of balancing a cultural experience with a thrill ride.

Yes, it's MORE challenging to do this. It's easier just to slap a popular IP on it and brand it a success (cause...youknow, EVERYONE likes Frozen, just look at the box office and toy sales!), but it's far more difficult to CREATE a lasting IP of it's own (ahem...Haunted Mansion, Pirates...which they've gutted, etc.)

I LEARNED from EPCOT rides, but it wasn't boring or like a classroom. Learning isn't boring unless YOU are boring.

I hate this encroachment. It can be done well (with the meet and greets in World Showcase, for the most part, it has, and the integration of Kim Possible and later Perry, also VERY well done)...

It can be done poorly and on the cheap (Nemo).

Or it can just be a cop out (Mexico and Norway).

Technology and interactive attractions in EPCOT is the perfect combination. They're cheap and lazy. And they have flimsy, lazy arguments (like the ones that have littered this thread) justifying their cheap laziness.

spacemt354

Chili's
Gosh this smugness is fun, isn't it.

The point was simple, but of course folks have to muddy it in an attempt to deflect from the point and twist and turn it in an attempt to invalidate it by making it much more complicated than it actually is, and in your case, wasn't following the discussion so I had to explain it to you - further dragging it out and getting away from the essence.

Here is the simple point: if you take the ride on it's own, it's a few disassociated show scenes that if one experienced without being told it was about Norway, most people would have no idea.
Where is the data?

Have you conducted your experiment?

Because you state your opinions as fact which leads me to believe you have proof, but you have yet to provide any evidence to back it up.

In addition, the premise of your argument is so far out in left field that I don't know why you keep hammering home your "point"

AEfx

So really, this is in no way a solution to the "stagnant" problems you're pointing out. All we're getting is HUGE problem coming to WS because of the short sided, narrow-mined, not very well thought out problem thanks to the TWDC clowns who don't understand the entire WDW resort.

I didn't say it was a "solution" - gosh folks really like to twist things here, they presume too much - if you don't join the groupthink you are an "enemy" and then all kinds of garbage is projected upon you.

Since the incidents you put forth have occurred for 25 years, I restate the simple point that this is not some "new" thing - TWDC has not seen fit to add anything of significance in a quarter century, so maybe, just maybe - folks idea of what WS is/was may be a fan idealism more than anything else.

misterID

Sooo, any word on what the new Frozen pavilion will look like?

Here's my idea for the Frozen bypass. Maybe even fill it in for more prime Illuminations viewing and additional Drunkytown space.
That bypass is a good idea, but defeats the purpose of why it's going into Norway. This would cost too much money...

But wait and see when the nightmare crowds come to WS. They'll have to do something.

AEfx

Where is the data?

Have you conducted your experiment?

Because you state your opinions as fact which leads me to believe you have proof, but you have yet to provide any evidence to back it up.

In addition, the premise of your argument is so far out in left field that I don't know why you keep hammering home your "point"

Because folks like you keep asking me to.

You are correct, I have done no experiment.

Have any of you folks done experiments to prove your hate?

BigTxEars

None of the Sponsors come close to investing as much money as Disney makes just in Food each year. Sponsorship helps them curb costs and helps the sponsoring companies have a presence. Disney is just too cheap to want to fund the upkeep themselves on certain attractions and they can fund every single attraction at WDW with NO problem.

A theme park is NOT a television network. That is the embodiment of apples to oranges.

The edutainment was part of the theme. It is supposed to more sophisticated than MK. Theme parks have themes, and fans of EPCOT are sick of the continued disrespect of the parks.

I explained what happened to Horizons. And as Lee pointed out, they found a new sponsor that was willing to fund the "new" attraction. There was a big refurb planned for Horizons WITHOUT A SPONSOR.

You are applying what you want/think Epcot to be in your post, which is fine as long as you know that not everyone agrees with you. I would guess that is why you are having a hard time understanding views that differ from yours as being nothing more than someone else opinion and not an assault upon you. Take edutainment for example, you see WS based around that concept and I see it based around retailtainment. Both cases can be made, it just comes done to which point the person thinks is more accurate.

AEfx

And that would be a good point if we were talking about an amusement park or a standalone attraction.

It's the same here - one loosely based fantasy ride (I'm sorry, no matter what folks try to say, gods and trolls are fantasy, they are not real) replacing another loosely based fantasy ride.

BigTxEars

It's the same here - one loosely based fantasy ride (I'm sorry, no matter what folks try to say, gods and trolls are fantasy, they are not real) replacing another loosely based fantasy ride.

Talking snowmen and humanized reindeer or trolls and gods, I agree I since little difference in their application in WS. It's all make believe, much like everything at WDW is.

misterID

I didn't say it was a "solution" - gosh folks really like to twist things here, they presume too much - if you don't join the groupthink you are an "enemy" and then all kinds of garbage is projected upon you.

Since the incidents you put forth have occurred for 25 years, I restate the simple point that this is not some "new" thing - TWDC has not seen fit to add anything of significance in a quarter century, so maybe, just maybe - folks idea of what WS is/was may be a fan idealism more than anything else.

Twisting things to fit your argument? Presume too much? Have you read your posts? (I especially liked the ear plug device to try and prove your point, hilarious!) Pot meet kettle.

Frozen is a slap in the face to EPCOT. Plain and simple, no matter how it's spun. And it goes even further, because they're really underutilizing the IP. DHS could really, really use this. I still think it would be better inMK to help with the crowds in FL.

AEfx

So keep trying. You keep digging your hole deeper and deeper. Let's see what nonsense you come up with now. Too bad I blew a hole into your already sad and flawed argument.

This is the type of thing that is why most folks have ceased posting in this thread, because you just can't argue with this kind of crazy.

You haven't blown a hole in anything except my patience, which I assume is your goal - to spew rhetoric and ignore the actual facts and instead go all over Robin Hood's forest making declarations of fan nonsense like it's somehow this religious cult - until folks just step away and don't even bother trying to engage a discussion with you because you simply cannot reason with religious furor.

To be honest, in the end it's either you see WS for what it is, and always has been, or you see it for the fantasy in your mind of what it should be - and neither of us is going to convince the other. So we can waste our time going back and forth repeating the same things, or not. At this point there is nothing new to say, you guys are going to keep going bat crap crazy no matter what logic is put before you - and in the end, the same result is going to occur - Maelstrom is closing, Frozen is coming, and there isn't a dang thing either one of us can do about it.

Mike S

Talking snowmen and humanized reindeer or trolls and gods, I agree I since little difference in their application in WS. It's all make believe, much like everything at WDW is.
So in your opinion there's no difference between an animated talking snowman created by an animation studio in Burbank, California and the Norse Gods and myths of Trolls when it comes to relevance to Norway's history and culture? Wow....... Just, wow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom