Magic bands NOT required -- Official Disney Reply

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
So... after a year of fighting with WDW over not wanting to use Magic Bands, I got an official response from Administration yesterday...despite what cast members say at the resorts:

You are NOT required to use Magic Bands even if they mail them to you. You can always continue to request KTTW cards. You will need two cards though...

Request a KTTW card and it will have your room key, charging privileges, and DDP attached. You will need a second card for park entry and fastpasses (which CAN be used for advance reservations as well). Passholders can continue to use their RFID cards for park entry and fastpasses. If you need a new card go to any guest services counter and ask for a plastic RFID card and use that from that point on. The same holds true for Magic My Way resort visitors - demand the RFID cards for your park entry (it might require a guest services visit the first day you visit a park).

Other info from Administration: if any cast member tells you that you must use a Magic Band request they call Disney's internal customer services number. If any cast member at any resort tells you that there is no other option than Magic Bands to enter the park or use Fastpasses request they do the same.

Also, I was assured that they would be doing education with all Resort cast members as well as guest services staff that they must understand how to connect RFID cards to the system for any visitor who does not want to use Magic Bands. I was assured that this has been misunderstood and that it would be corrected in training.

Finally...it was kind of cool to get a personal phone call from Disney about this issue-- since I wrote my letter directly to Iger's office directly quoting his statement that "Cards would always remain an option", at least they are hearing our complaints.

I'll test it all out at my next visit.

G00fyDad

So... after a year of fighting with WDW over not wanting to use Magic Bands, I got an official response from Administration yesterday...despite what cast members say at the resorts:

You are NOT required to use Magic Bands even if they mail them to you. You can always continue to request KTTW cards. You will need two cards though...

Request a KTTW card and it will have your room key, charging privileges, and DDP attached. You will need a second card for park entry and fastpasses (which CAN be used for advance reservations as well). Passholders can continue to use their RFID cards for park entry and fastpasses. If you need a new card go to any guest services counter and ask for a plastic RFID card and use that from that point on. The same holds true for Magic My Way resort visitors - demand the RFID cards for your park entry (it might require a guest services visit the first day you visit a park).

Other info from Administration: if any cast member tells you that you must use a Magic Band request they call Disney's internal customer services number. If any cast member at any resort tells you that there is no other option than Magic Bands to enter the park or use Fastpasses request they do the same.

Also, I was assured that they would be doing education with all Resort cast members as well as guest services staff that they must understand how to connect RFID cards to the system for any visitor who does not want to use Magic Bands. I was assured that this has been misunderstood and that it would be corrected in training.

Finally...it was kind of cool to get a personal phone call from Disney about this issue-- since I wrote my letter directly to Iger's office directly quoting his statement that "Cards would always remain an option", at least they are hearing our complaints.

I'll test it all out at my next visit.

Serious question here, but has this even been an issue? People have been told over and over from the first mention that Disney would have Magic Bands that they would not be required. Or do you mean that the staff at the resorts are refusing to give you a card? If so, I would have asked to speak to a manager. I know quite a few people that go to Disney and the (very) few that don't like the bands ask for cards each visit. They get the cards without any problems.

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
It has been a huge problem. Despite what had been announced, the resorts especially the Moderates, have not been conveying correct information. I have talked to managers and managers of managers. Ive talked to every level in between and given runarounds. That's why this was escalated to administration. And that is why I posted their response here for anyone else getting a runaround.

G00fyDad

It has been a huge problem. Despite what had been announced, the resorts especially the Moderates, have not been conveying correct information. I have talked to managers and managers of managers. Ive talked to every level in between and given runarounds. That's why this was escalated to administration. And that is why I posted their response here for anyone else getting a runaround.

Easy there. Not arguing with you.

I'm just saying that you are the first person I have seen that has had to take it this far.

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
That's what I did Tommye as well...and just used the central nubbin...glad I can use cards though, clip them into the back of my iPhone case, and go...I've also seen some people cut them down to the central nubbin and then drill a hole and wear them as a necklace, using it that way in the park.

G00fyDad

Not if it is on a clasp attached to the necklace. Unhook it, use it, and hook it back.

They could even be incorporated into a lanyard with a removable catch on the end so that you could take the Magic Pendant off the lanyard when you want. This would also boost pin sales as the lanyard could double as a pin lanyard. Dub the new options (as well as the band) as Magic Wear.

Last edited:

RonAnnArbor

Original Poster
This is good creative thinking...but let's not lose the thread...this is about being able to use cards for those people who do not want to use a band, or necklace, or lanyard, or any kind of other "wear"...

Tom

Beta Return
While it's perfectly fine to opt to use a card instead of a band, there are a few things guests should know.

1) The band is a far more convenient option, since you don't have to carry and track two cards (one for room, one for ticket).

2) Anyone using Memory Maker will not receive the automatic photos and videos they're beginning to produce on certain rides, because they use the long-range transmitter in the band to know which ride vehicle you're in. Not a huge deal, but something to note.

alissafalco

It seems as though they are making it inconvenient, and having you jump through hoops if your choice is not to use the band. Good ideas @GoofyDad. My daughter is 4 and refuses to wear the band and I hate having to carry around the bulky thing. Some type of charm would fit much better in my bag.

epcotisbest

Yes...nobody is required to use a Magic Band
We just got back from Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani and when we checked in I asked for a card and explained I did not want to wear a band. I was told they were not available and I had to use the band. I told the very nice lady that I had been coming for years and I preferred a key card I could put in my wallet. Again, I was was told at the front desk they did not have key cards any more. I complained again nicely, explaining I was not going to wear a band. A supervisor was called over who again said no key card. When I asked how I was supposed to enter the room since I would not be wearing the magicband, she said my only choice was to just keep it in my pocket and take it out when needed. So, as of last week, Sept. 12 check-in, at least at Kidani, no card option, band only. Now it could be I did not demand it so much as request it. It never got to the point where I offered to leave or anything. And before anyone asks, I just am not going to wear the stupid band. It could be the person behind me got a card by being more assertive, but I tried and failed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom