Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

PhotoDave219

I thought the plans were to move to Toontown not go from Tomorrowland to Toontown? Either way a lot of land of true. I mean that would have Star Wars covering a third of the park! Heck lets put Frozen in the top half and Hollywood in the bottom and we can have "Frozen Hollywood in a Galaxy Far Far Away" theme park.

Thats Disneyland.

And your confusion is exactly why I was berating people for not specifying the park to which they were referring to.

PhotoDave219

Sorry I just assumed we were talking about Disneyland so I didn't feel the need to clarify. I knew we were referring to Disneyland though. And then I moved over to hollywood studios without clarifying so yea I see your point....just don't berate me.....please.....I can't handle it.;)

a dios mio......

PeterAlt

I think you are correct about the training and storage where the parking lot was/is. I'm still not certain if LMA is staying. I think it will stay right now, because, really, what else is there to do at that park. However, that doesn't mean that it cannot move the training to the area just to the right of LMA and open that up for a big block of another land, so to speak.

The only reason why I waver on the LMA life span is that on one hand it's less then 10 years old now and it cost a lot of money to establish, but, on the other hand, it is a very expensive attraction to operate. Just the CM staffing alone is staggering and the vehicle upkeep is pretty huge as well. I don't see a long future for it either way.
I don't get why Eisner approved this before he left. Anyone want to try to guess?

PeterAlt

I'm quite sad that BLT is closing, I'm too young to remember the "glory days" of the ride, but its always been one of my favorites due to the fact that I always got to see some pretty neat movie props. Between this and Maelstrom I'm really unsure if Disney is heading in the right direction, I know that change is a good thing, but an announcement for BLT's replacement would have been appreciated.

I don't even have time for one last ride and I haven't been to Disney in three years :(
Hang in there. Disney management is like US presidential administrations. Every eight years or so, there's a new one. Iger's term expires in less than two years, and there will be a new management team in place with fresh new ideas.

PeterAlt

Because now he's sitting at home laughing is butt off at the mess that has been created!
I remember right before he left, he held a press conference to announce LMA, Stitch's Great Escape, Soaring for EPCOT, and Expedition Everest. At least EE was worthy of the budget it got, and Soaring draw crowds to EPCOT (although it was cheapened compared to it the original version at DCA). Stitch, I think, he approved because he didn't want to leave his legacy with AE scaring kids at the MK.

BrerJon

We should play attraction closure bingo. You know every week at WDW something is going to shutter without a replacement announced, but what will it be next?

I suspect that will probably be it for the closures for now until after Christmas.
Then January, LMA will be driving off for the last time.
February, Indiana Jones will go.
March, GMR.

Echo Lake area and LMA will probably then sit abandoned for years, with Indy becoming an events theater like Premier or Wonders of Life, but the Toy Story playland and Mania expansion will happen quite swiftly by Disney standards (Christmas 2016).

DVCPluto

I've always wondered about the area beyond S. Studio Dr. Since BLT is essentially gone, and LMA seems to be next (I thought it would close before this Dec), can they extend the park beyond S. Studio Dr?

Screenshot2014-09-21at80955AM_zps4d3472e6.png

Right along this river? Bump the park all the way to the water?

The access road would need to change, but wouldn't that be possible?

PeterAlt

Making changes and assuming that the new CEO will be some sort of grandiose visionary are two entirely different propositions. I'm sure you've had some sort of vision about it, but reality is a cruel mistress....
I'm not assuming anything. I would hope he would have some sort of grandiose vision, but that's not what I said. All of the current contenders for the job have a better understanding of the theme park business than Iger does, including (and especially) Rasulo.

Goofyernmost

I don't get why Eisner approved this before he left. Anyone want to try to guess?
It was very popular in France. For the 2005, 50th Anniversary of Disneyland Celebration, they made an attempt to copy a successful attraction from other parks and put one in each of the four parks. MK got Cinderelabration, Epcot got Soarin. I don't remember what or if AK got anything (probably did) and HS got LMA. It fit in with the studio's easily because it is a re-inaction of a stunt session used in the movies. Or at least that was the story line.

In those early years, I never went to it when it didn't have a completely filled stadium and, if I remember correctly, they had more shows then they do now. However, it is an attraction that has a very short shelf life. Once you've seen it, you've seen it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom