Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

BigTxEars

No one is debating the financial cheapo reasons Disney is placing it in Norway, you're late to the party with those revelations, and it's a big part of the problem. They're actually undermining the impact they could have with the Frozen IP with cheaping out. A Frozen land would be much more successful, way more so that having a tiny presence in world showcase where the plot and surrounding area is not equipped with handling the crowds and what they would otherwise be able to do with a ground up build.

And you're not saying anything new about Maelstrom needing a refurb. It was talked about way before you entered this thread and before this thread existed. The difference is you're justifying the worst possible solution for a problem that wasn't that grave or important.

Settling for crap choices and defending them... you shouldn't be surprised by riled up responses.

I'm not late to anything I was letting the other poster know I had already said it was partly based on money. So we agree on that.

I also already said I would love a huge Splash Mountain type ride based on Frozen. So we don' t disagree there.

And I also already said that combining the cost, the desire for Frozen and the refurb needed in Norway was a smart business move on WDW to put Frozen in Norway. So we agree on the reasons Disney is placing it there.

Where we don't agree is that this will be crap, you nor I have any ideal how this will turn out.

I'm not surprised by the riled up responses, I have seen them this entire thread against anybody who went against the grain in here and said anything other than this moved sucked.

Captain Chaos

Oh they will, just not here (and it won't be a water ride). That's what happens when people accept and justify every decision. They won't feel the need to do any better than "just fine".
Again, this is dumbing down to the lowest common denominator of person... A person who accepts anything, no matter how junkie it is. Hey, people love living in the ghetto, so maybe every developer should stop building luxury apartments and condos! Great business decision actually. Build cheap housing, charge a boat load of money, put people in debt, run away with huge profits!!!! Cause hey, people don't mind living in ghetto like conditions!!!!!

This is why WDW is becoming walmarted cause IDIOTS and oxygen deprived mouth breathers accept MEDIOCRITY.

BigTxEars

Unfortunately a lot of people expect every new addition to be a mega coaster themed like the Haunted Mansion.

I know a lot of folks do.

Maybe I am getting old but I enjoy the little things as much as the big things. Maybe it explains my love of the Tangled restrooms :)

misterID

Humanity level? It's a theme park, it's all fake..none of it is real..........a bit over dramatic wouldn't you say?

And if the business aspect of WDW is a shock to you then I am not sure what to say. I am realistic enough to know that it has to be run as a business and that means cost have to be controlled.
No, I'm pointing out how sad it is that people will go to the extremes of not just accepting something, which I understand, but go to the lengths of defending and justifying things there is no reason to justify... I don't understand not holding them to a higher standard and having to look at things through a business decision that doesn't concern you. :) :) :)

They can afford it. They can afford something big. They're choosing not to because they want to go a cheaper route. That's hilarious. More hilarious are the people that are defending it, that we should appreciate the choices they're making based on the fact... I guess, it's just a theme park. A park Disney has always touted as more than just a theme park? And, you know, like you've been spouting... I'm entitled to my opinion. Guests should be concerned about their experience, if you think this will be great for you, fine.Arguing that you need to accept it based on a flimsy business decision that undermines the experience because... I don't know, it's Disney, and you have to have blind loyalty? That's something else. :) :) :)

BigTxEars

Oh they will, just not here (and it won't be a water ride). That's what happens when people accept and justify every decision. They won't feel the need to do any better than "just fine".

They might open one at a different park outside of WDW, that could very well happen.

BigTxEars

No, I'm pointing out how sad it is that people will go to the extremes of not just accepting something, which I understand, but go to the lengths of defending and justifying things there is no reason to justify... I don't understand not holding them to a higher standard and having to look at things through a business decision that doesn't concern you.

They can afford it. They can afford something big. They're choosing not to because they want to go a cheaper route. That's hilarious. More hilarious people are defending it that we should appreciate the choices they're making. And, you know, like you've been spouting... I'm entitled to my opinion. Guests should be concerned about their experience, if you think this will be great for you, fine. Arguing tht you need to accept it based on a flimsy business decision that undermines the experience because... I don't know, it's Disney, and you have to have blind loyalty? That's something else.

I posted why I was fine with the move, why I understood it. I don't feel the need to defend Disney against folks like yourself, the free market will determine if this "works" for Disney or not. You and me going back and forth on a forum is not going to change or determine a thing in regards to the outcome of this move. Like I posted (and gave an example of) when I reach a point where I feel a business is not offering me what I think is a fair exchange then I will decide if I continue to do business with them. So I guess my blind loyalty is not so loyal :)

Captain Chaos

Hey it is something new!!!! That's all that matters!!! They are adding to the world showcase!!!! YES!!! I love this expansion cause Frozen is all about Norway!!! I can't wait til my little princess wants to go to the real Arendelle!!! I will book the first flight I can to Norway just to take her to Arendelle to show her where Elsa and Anna live!!!

Oh another park is getting a $400 million land based on Arendelle with a real ride? Oh phooey!!!! WDW RULEZ EVERYONE ELSE DROOLSS!!! Oh wait, TDO is putting in a card board box into an empty plot of land? LOOK WHO SAID THEY DONT ADD!!!!!! AWESOME!!! Can't wait to book my visit to the card board box 60 days out! Totally worth a FP. Take that Universal. While you waste your time and money building themed immersive lands with state of the art technology causing 6 hour waits to ENTER THE LAND, Disney is putting up card board boxes so my little 5 year old can color. Hell, i'll color too cause my mentality is that of a 5 year old. WOO HOO Can't wait to pay $10,000 to color!!! YIPPEE SO MAGICAL!!!!

Wait, where are they putting that card board box again? In the American Adventure? Well, yes it fits. Ever see all those homeless people living in card board boxes in America. Totally fits the culture of MURICA... WHOOOO HOOO!!!!!! SOMETHIGN NEW!!!!! hey TDO, please, hack my bank account, take all my money, I LOVE CARD BOARD BOXES!!!! YEEEEE HAAAAAW

misterID

I'm not late to anything I was letting the other poster know I had already said it was partly based on money. So we agree on that.

I also already said I would love a huge Splash Mountain type ride based on Frozen. So we don' t disagree there.

And I also already said that combining the cost, the desire for Frozen and the refurb needed in Norway was a smart business move on WDW to put Frozen in Norway. So we agree on the reasons Disney is placing it there.

Where we don't agree is that this will be crap, you nor I have any ideal how this will turn out.

I'm not surprised by the riled up responses, I have seen them this entire thread against anybody who went against the grain in here and said anything other than this moved sucked.
It's not that I'm saying the attraction will be crap. I've said, this might be a great ride. That's not the point, not only does it not fit, not only are there other parks that NEED this and will easily fit, it's the fact that they decided to go the worst route possible for adding the attraction. It doesn't fit thematically or physically in WS... just thinking about those crowds *shudders*

And I didn't think the movie sucked. They could have taken advantage of the IP and created something truly astounding. WDI is more than capable. And they wouldn't do this to any other RESORT park.

BigTxEars

So why wouldn't you demand that same thing here? Oh, right. Business. Tell me, how does Disney saving money by going the cheap route of adding Frozen in WDW personally affect YOU? If it's just being happy with anything Frozen then I really have no words.

It does not effect me personally , I said I understood it. I already posted a number of time when I feel the return for my $ is not what I want I stop giving the $ out. If WS ever reaches that point then I will stop going there. This move does not fundamentally change what WS is to me at all. If it does for you then you make the call rather you still want to go there or not.

Captain Chaos

Sorry, I will now. Just gets frustrating. Post deleted.
I know. But you know how to combat that? The awesome ignore feature. Since I put a bunch of morons on Ignore, the site has been a little better to read. And a lot less frustrating.

At the same time, I am thinking that being part of the online community isn't worth it anymore. You have to be a pixie dust addict with no brains to be a Disney fan anymore.

lazyboy97o

I posted why I was fine with the move, why I understood it. I don't feel the need to defend Disney against folks like yourself, the free market will determine if this "works" for Disney or not. You and me going back and forth on a forum is not going to change or determine a thing in regards to the outcome of this move. Like I posted (and gave an example of) when I reach a point where I feel a business is not offering me what I think is a fair exchange then I will decide if I continue to do business with them. So I guess my blind loyalty is not so loyal :)
The free market is irrelevant because singular points of reference don't mean anything. Plenty of creative enterprises make money off of uncreative decisions, but that does not negate the role of such decisions in undermining the long term health of the organization. Batman & Robin and Home on the Range were checklists of what people "want" and that is exactly why they are so well known as financial and creative successes, oh wait, they're not. Disney had to spend $7 billion to fix their animation studio and Warner Bros. is still mired in the problems wrought by constantly chasing what people "want."

Last edited:

BigTxEars

It's not that I'm saying the attraction will be crap. I've said, this might be a great ride. That's not the point, not only does it not fit, not only are there other parks that NEED this and will easily fit, it's the fact that they decided to go the worst route possible for adding the attraction. It doesn't fit thematically or physically in WS... just thinking about those crowds *shudders*

And I didn't think the movie sucked. They could have taken advantage of the IP and created something truly astounding. WDI is more than capable. And they wouldn't do this to any other RESORT park.

Well at this point then what to do about it is the question. If some folks are not content with this then berating a bunch of posters on a internet forum who they don't agree with is not going to change much. But a lot of energy spent doing just that.

The crowds are going to suck in WS when it opens. I plan to avoid at all cost when it first opens. But they will level off at some point I think.

BigTxEars

It was run as a business when EPCOT Center was first built. It was actually quite successful too. But yes let's forget all that because Frozen was a mega blockbuster and needs to be put in as quickly and cheaply as possible.

That is exactly how it works in business in general.

I wonder if WS was privately owned by any of us how much we would resist the Frozen cash cow.....I know I would not. I would milk that cow for all it was worth :)

Captain Chaos

Just read Yesterland website. Here is something interesting from Disney's 1975 Annual Report detailing what World Showcase was to be about:

Beyond the scientific and technological aspects of EPCOT the project holds great promise for the advancement of international cooperation and understanding. The World Showcase, planned for opening In late 1979, will be devoted to this goal. An on-going international exposition, for which an admission will be charged, the World Showcase will communicate the culture, heritage, history, technology, trade, tourism and future goals of the participating nations.

It will consist of a coordinated series of national pavilions housed side-by-side in two dramatic, semi-circular structures. These dynamic structures will face each other across a Courtyard of Nations, where there will be a major theater for performances by international celebrities and entertainment groups, and where parades, pageants and special events will be staged by entertainers from the participating nations.

Although these national pavilions may vary in size, each will enjoy equal facade exposure to the guest. The entire complex will be tied together by a Disney people-moving system that will offer visitors a preview look into each attraction.

Unlike a world’s fair, it will offer participating countries a permanent installation for such features as themed restaurants and shops, product exhibits, industrial displays, cultural presentations, a trade center, and even special facilities for business meetings. A major part of each pavilion will be a Disney-designed ride or attraction which will give guests a foretaste of an actual visit to the country. National musical groups or other performing artists could present special entertainment on a continuing basis.

So, according to that bold part, any attraction built into a World Showcase pavilion would bring guests to that country and give it a little taste of its culture, heritage and history. So, please, defenders of the rat and all things Frozen, how do you get Norwegian culture, heritage and HISTORY from an American animated movie taking place in a made up land?

Oh and BTW, due to THIS bold line, um, Maelstrom no longer can be called a FANTASY ride. Blew that argument out of the water. Another defender fail. Next?

Disneyhead'71

That is exactly how it works in business in general.

I wonder if WS was privately owned by any of us how much we would resist the Frozen cash cow.....I know I would not. I would milk that cow for all it was worth :)
Anyone with an ounce of artistic integrity would find a more suitable location somewhere on WDW's 27 square miles to milk that cow.

Fortunately for Iger, TDO isn't weighed down with such nonsense as artistic integrity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom