Is BLT Top of the World lounge open to all DVC members?

NewfieFan

Original Poster
A couple years back they opened this up to any DVC member staying on property? Is this still the case?

BigTxEars

Also on the "list" we are staying at a 2 bedroom at AKL in Jan 2015 since there are 6 of us, in Jan 2016 there will just be 4 of us so BLT is our top choice to stay at. :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Official rules for Top of the World:

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2015 (blockout dates apply, including but not limited to December 30, 2014, December 31, 2014, July 3, 2015 and July 4, 2015). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or Key to the World card with a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's MagicBand or Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is also required to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
How busy is it for MVMCP fireworks I wonder...?

I was there last November the week before Thanksgiving and we watched from there one night during MVMCP. I would say there were less than 25 people total there. The outdoor viewing area can probably hold several hundred comfortably with another 25 to 30 people inside. If you want to make sure you get a spot just go a little early and grab a drink or 2 from the bar. It's a pretty nice atmosphere.

DVCPluto

Official rules for Top of the World:

Disney Vacation Club Members staying at any Disney-owned-and-operated hotel at Walt Disney World Resort (whether they booked with vacation points or cash) may enjoy access to one of the vacation kingdom's most exclusive spaces: Top of the World Lounge atop Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort through December 29, 2015 (blockout dates apply, including but not limited to December 30, 2014, December 31, 2014, July 3, 2015 and July 4, 2015). Current operating hours are 6 p.m. to midnight.

This perk is available exclusively to Members and those in their traveling party who are staying on that Member's reservation. At least one Member in the traveling party must accompany the group and present his or her current MagicBand or Key to the World card with a Disney Vacation Club Membership notation in order to gain admission to the lounge and observation deck. If the Member's MagicBand or Key to the World card doesn't display a Membership notation, a Disney Vacation Club Member ID is also required to verify Membership.

Note that Members traveling from other Resorts must use Walt Disney World Transportation, as parking is unavailable to anyone not staying at Bay Lake Tower or Disney's Contemporary Resort. Upon arrival, Members must walk to the Bay Lake Tower main lobby entrance on the ground floor and check in at the Top of the World Lounge desk in the lobby.

This special Top of the World Lounge access is available on a first-come, first-served basis until the lounge reaches capacity. As the lounge is particularly popular during the Magic Kingdom fireworks, arriving as early as possible will give Members the best chance of gaining admission.

Interesting that they changed it to points or cash. One of the huge perks is that it is usually pretty empty. Hope it stays busy enough to stay open, but doesn't get too crowded.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've only seen people eating dessert... can you get any other food there?
They had flat breads and soft pretzels with some sort of dip when I was there. We enjoyed a "liquid meal" so I can't comment either way on the taste, but the stuff looked pretty decent.

Interesting that they changed it to points or cash. One of the huge perks is that it is usually pretty empty. Hope it stays busy enough to stay open, but doesn't get too crowded.
I think maybe the crowds were low so they tweaked the rule and it also makes it easier to monitor. Show a DVC card and you are basically in. With magic bands you no longer have Key cards that say DVC member on them.

DVCPluto

They had flat breads and soft pretzels with some sort of dip when I was there. We enjoyed a "liquid meal" so I can't comment either way on the taste, but the stuff looked pretty decent.

I think maybe the crowds were low so they tweaked the rule and it also makes it easier to monitor. Show a DVC card and you are basically in. With magic bands you no longer have Key cards that say DVC member on them.

I love this DVC perk, so I hope it doesn't close due low numbers. It's really nice to be able to take family and friends to a super cool DVC location. I think going up the elevator is half the fun!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I love this DVC perk, so I hope it doesn't close due low numbers. It's really nice to be able to take family and friends to a super cool DVC location. I think going up the elevator is half the fun!

I think they have occasionally rented the space for private parties. If they needed to they could do that more to make ends meet. The food is controlled by CR so they don't need to maintain a full kitchen. It's really just the bartenders and bar setup. The overhead is probably low. Worst case scenario is the indoor bar section starts closing a few nights a week or in the off season, but the outdoor observation area should always be there.

Phonedave

That right there. You want it to enough business to cover it's costs and not be a burden on the dues, but you also don't want it packed to the gills.

I wonder where the money to run the lounge comes out of. Is it BLT owners dues, all DVC owners dues, or is it covered by DVC itself as a perk.

With it now being open to all DVC member, I would not be surprised if it started showing up in everyone's dues.

-dave

DVCPluto

That right there. You want it to enough business to cover it's costs and not be a burden on the dues, but you also don't want it packed to the gills.

I wonder where the money to run the lounge comes out of. Is it BLT owners dues, all DVC owners dues, or is it covered by DVC itself as a perk.

With it now being open to all DVC member, I would not be surprised if it started showing up in everyone's dues.

-dave

As a BLT owner, I'd rather not pay for everyone else to use it! ;)

I'm sure it all evens out - AKL owners pay higher dues for animal upkeep, etc.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

-dave
I read somewhere on here that its not covered at all by DVC dues. It's part of the CR food department or something like that. Point is if its profitable there's no benefit to BLT owners same as if it loses money.

Phonedave

I read somewhere on here that its not covered at all by DVC dues. It's part of the CR food department or something like that. Point is if its profitable there's no benefit to BLT owners same as if it loses money.

I can see that as well. But it does matter to WDW - in that case they are going to want it to be profitable (naturally).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom