Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

Macca250

If Disney opens something big in DHS the year after Avatar that would be quite a few things coming in succession: Frozen Maelstrom in 2016 :depressed:, Avatar 2017, this in 2018 then Star Wars in 2019 or 2020. WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?! :eek:
I know, it's like they looked up the word "investment" in the dictionary or something! VERY happy about this news, the potential for an expansion of this magnitude (Backlot was pretty huge) almost makes up for that Frozen announcement.

Adam Santos

If something IS planned, how long would it actually take to dismantle, remove the existing structures to just get to the point where they could actually build something else?

Just what are they gonna do with the Trams tho? I Mean are they gonna sell them at an Auction cause I'd hate to those get scrapped as I'm hoping the Universal Orlando Resort will save those Trams in time to use it either for King Kong or have it used for the VIP Tours..

G00fyDad

Just what are they gonna do with the Trams tho? I Mean are they gonna sell them at an Auction cause I'd hate to those get scrapped as I'm hoping the Universal Orlando Resort will save those Trams in time to use it either for King Kong or have it used for the VIP Tours..

They'll save them in case they can be used elsewhere. Too bad they can use them for the parking lots.

Adam Santos

Well now they will probably be used to transport Guests from the parking lot to the front gates of one fo the parks!

yea but I really doubt it at this Point as those Trams are gonna be good as gone once it's auctioned off to a new owner and just what are the Specs and Speeds of those Trams?

Adam Santos

Let's Hope the Company won't scrap Walt's Plane as that'll be a really Bad move if the Company did that so I'm hoping that maybe they'll send Walt's Plane to either The Orlando International Airport or the Orlando Executive Airport or Hopefully the Kissimmee Gateway Airport to be Displayed since Kissimmee is closer to Walt Disney World..

dgp602

Agreed. While part of me is giddy as a school boy with anticipation of Christmas, another part of me just makes a sideways squshy smile, shakes my head, and hunches back over the keyboard. When DHS becomes another Wall-tropolis like the other locations are now, then I'll let myself get curious.

(Wow! How much of a beating have we taken over the past years to go from lovin' everything Disney to this non-emotional disbelief? And by the way, I believe the OP heard this, but I question the TDO intentions behind the message.)
I have to admit, I didn't see this coming so soon. I only hope that whatever replaces this is announced quickly and demo and construction happens relatively soon. Seeing another space abandoned and sit for a while and deteriorate before our eyes would be depressing.

And a question for my fellow members in the know: Any idea why they would do this so close to the busy holiday season? Why not shutter it in January when the crowds slow down??

HRHPrincessAriel

Back lot tour's capacity per hour is enormous but it rarely has a line. I would venture to guess maybe 200-500 per hour currently. I don't think the closing will have a noticeable affect really.
I'd say its capacity is much more than that. I bet one tram fits at least 200 and multiple go out an hour. I've rarely ever been able to just walk on. Minimum of 20 min wait

Last edited:

Soarin' Over Pgh

Wow, I stop reading here for a few days and this happens?

I'm happy something is happening be cause this attraction has been almost stripped out of existence.

The sudden nature is pretty crazy though. Could they be bracing for Star wars so soon?

Considering "soon" for disney includes a three to four year build time...then no.

And that'll teach ya ;) never stop reading the N&R! ;)

aladdin2007

I have to admit, I didn't see this coming so soon. I only hope that whatever replaces this is announced quickly and demo and construction happens relatively soon. Seeing another space abandoned and sit for a while and deteriorate before our eyes would be depressing.

And a question for my fellow members in the know: Any idea why they would do this so close to the busy holiday season? Why not shutter it in January when the crowds slow down??

good point

FerretAfros

For what it's worth, there are several upcoming runDisney races that use this area for parts of the course (Tower of Terror 10 Miler in October, Wine & Dine Half Marathon in November, and to a lesser extent the Marathon in January). If there is going to be major work in that area before then, each would need to get a new course certified by USATF

Typically the USATF course certifications are done several months in advance and posted on the USATF website (the 5K &10K for January were updated a few days ago), so that Disney can send it to their graphics department to get in all of the race materials, and other logistics can be determined. So far, none of those courses have been updated (and Disney's 'official' courses have been posted on their website for October and November), leading me to believe that there won't be major work until at least mid-November, but probably into January

Part of me wonders if the sudden closure is a reflection of the supposed problems this park has had meeting its numbers this year. If they lop off a large attraction for the new fiscal year, operating expenses will drop, but I wonder if guests will still be inclined to spend as much time/money in the park

FutureCEO

While at MGM earlier this year, by like 2 or 3pm, the parks was pretty much done. Anyway this last will not be Star Wars. But the ride, if you can call it a ride, needed to go. Though I liked all the movie props and everything.

It will be hard expanding Pixar Place because of the layout with Toy Story Mania where it is on the main pathway and the Backlot a little farther back. Maybe if they created a path between the buildings and move some backstage buildings it could work and then they would have room for another "land".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom