The Official "Explore Southern California!" Thread

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Another fun place to eat/beach is Huntington Beach near the pier. Surf City, USA!

We spent a day on the beach to the right of the pier, all the surfers seemed to be to the left of the pier when we were there. We spent the morning on the beach then walked to the end of the pier to eat a Ruby's - a diner type chain. The pier is right across the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) from Huntington Beach Main Street with lots of shops and restaurants as well.

http://www.hbdowntown.com/home.html

Not my pictures-

mg_7180.jpg

dinnite_ruby_0002.jpg

Main Street - Huntington Beach

38585290e6de5b43e7824a6e44fdcd8c

gboiler1

This thread is helping me make my California bucket-list. I want to come out again and drive the coast, see the Disney family museum, Hearst castle, etc etc.

The Hearst Castle is something else. Its been years since I've been and we took a basic tour (this was around 1980 or so). I know at that time there were several tours available because its size. I also recall we stayed in a charming little town called Solvang. I believe its a Dutch community with many shops to enjoy.

Californian Elitist

Does anyone have pics and tips on Venice Beach? My daughter wants to go after seeing the Freakshow program on AMC.

Stay away from those who try and sell you on medical marijuana. There's a weed clinic on every corner. You'll come across some weirdos, as well as some talented people (an artist came up to me when I was there once, and offered to sketch my portrait for just a dollar...it turned out really nice). Shop where you want to shop, eat where you want to eat and have a nice time.

gboiler1

Stay away from those who try and sell you on medical marijuana. There's a weed clinic on every corner. You'll come across some weirdos, as well as some talented people (an artist came up to me when I was there once, and offered to sketch my portrait for just a dollar...it turned out really nice). Shop where you want to shop, eat where you want to eat and have a nice time.

Thanks Raven, I heard there were a lot of head shops. A different world than the midwest for sure! I'll make sure to bring some singles for tips.
I'm also excited about a new experience. I'll have to lend some photo reviews to this thread when I return.

Californian Elitist

What?: Aquarium of the Pacific

Where?: Long Beach

How far from Disneyland?: Roughly 25-26 miles away, with a thirty minute drive, minimum

How much?: General admission for adults is $28.95, kids, $14.95.

The Aquarium of the Pacific is one of the neatest aquariums I've experienced. I can't really think of a bad time at any aquarium, now that I'm thinking about it. I think this one sticks out for me due to the fact that you can feed birds (haven't been in years, don't know if one can still do that). Who doesn't love aquariums?

Aquarium_Day.jpg

Aquarium.jpg

You could even get married there!

Aquarium-of-the-Pacific-33.jpg

Other destinations and activities:

Take a tour on the famous Queen Mary, which is celebrating its 80th birthday this year. The Queen Mary offers different types of tours, but the most popular one(s) is the haunted tour. The ship is apparently haunted...a lot of people died on the ship, throughout its years of service at sea (it's dormant, now). You can read about these deaths online. My brother's prom was on the Queen Mary, and although the heaters were on, my brother said there were parts of the ship that were freezing. My supervisor spent a night on the ship, and said she was woken up by a piano playing somewhere on the ship.

MY+DJ%2527s+on+queen+mary+ship.jpg

queen%20mary.jpg

https://www.queenmary.com/tours-exhibits/group-tours/day-tours/

Old Town, San Diego, filled with history, shops and restaurants:

Old_Town_San_Diego_2010.jpg

oldtown.jpg

img5.jpg

C0AB751DEFF243079E4BFB8DF53E37F2.ashx

Solvang, which is a Danish town/city in Santa Barbara County:

solvang-1.jpg

0702_Windmill_Shops(1).jpg

Solvang_John_Skaly_121602-950x639.jpg

Last edited:

Bolna

Solvang is certainly not Dutch, but Danish! :) See those red and white banners? Those are Danish flags, the Dannebrog. Which, according to legend, is the oldest flag in the world as it fell down from heaven for a Danish king in a battle.

We stopped there briefly in 2004 and it was quaint and we had a nice Danish meal including aebleskiver there, but I would not go out of my way to go there. But that is my European perspective and after having lived in the real Denmark for a year and many more shorter visits, so others might find it more worthy of a visit.

Californian Elitist

Solvang is certainly not Dutch, but Danish! :) See those red and white banners? Those are Danish flags, the Dannebrog. Which, according to legend, is the oldest flag in the world as it fell down from heaven for a Danish king in a battle.

We stopped there briefly in 2004 and it was quaint and we had a nice Danish meal including aebleskiver there, but I would not go out of my way to go there. But that is my European perspective and after having lived in the real Denmark for a year and many more shorter visits, so others might find it more worthy of a visit.

Yes, you're right! Thank you!

jack547003

hi,
i have seen all your pics really they are tremendous the they are snapped is outstanding keep it on and if you are carrying more kindly post i will save in my personal gallery

Californian Elitist

What?: Carney's

Where?: The Sunset Strip in West Hollywood

How far from Disneyland?: Roughly 35 miles away, with a 45-60 minute drive

How much?: Depends, they have reasonable prices for their food

Carney's is a family-owned fast food spot in West Hollywood. They serve hot dogs, burgers, fries and other things. What's unique about Carney's is the set-up of the restaurant. The restaurant is built from two, old Union Pacific railway cars. One car was cut in half, and serves as the kitchen, while the other car was kept in its original form and serves as the seating area. Carney's is considered a classic for Angelenos, and has called Los Angeles home since the 60's or 70's. The food is so good!

Sunsetblvd.jpg

3826258954_0b4a7ab194_o2.jpg

thumb_600.jpg

-Postcard_of_Carney_s_Rest-20000000006060654-500x375.jpg

20081105-carneys-intro.jpg

PeterAlt

Sorry I didn't come here before and during my recent trip, but my experience has things to contribute here:

I recommend to friendly single travelers who don't want to spend an arm and leg, staying in Hollywood at USA Hostels. At $39 a night, they put you in a room you share with a few other people (mixed or same sex) with your own bed (on a bunk bed). Each room has its own private bathroom and shower. Breakfast, drinks, and dinner is included in price. Each bed has electric outlets, a cell phone charging shelf, and a lamp. The place is immaculately clean and cozy. There are social areas, its own nightclub, laundry facilities, and other amenities. The staff are very very helpful and friendly and will help you plan your Southern California touring and site seeing experience. Additionally, it's right there on Hollywood Boulevard, so you're right there in the middle of the action. Hostels are mostly a European tradition, and you will find the people staying there are mostly from all over the World, visiting the US for the first time. As an American, you will find that they very much appreciate any advise you can give them for their US travels outside (or inside) the California area.

Walt Disney1955

Just a quick question: In 2012 we did the Warner Bros. Studio tour. It was wonderful, just lovely. Saw the set of Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, etc. I know people say movie studio lots don't have the magic that you think they do, but I loved them. Lots of history. I pictured many, many movies that existed on that set.

Anyway, we did the Universal one too the day that we went to Universal Studios. But is the Paramount Studios tour as good as the Warner Bros. one? I know there different movies and shows from Paramount but is it as good of a tour?

Travel Junkie

Just a quick question: In 2012 we did the Warner Bros. Studio tour. It was wonderful, just lovely. Saw the set of Two and a Half Men, Big Bang Theory, etc. I know people say movie studio lots don't have the magic that you think they do, but I loved them. Lots of history. I pictured many, many movies that existed on that set.

Anyway, we did the Universal one too the day that we went to Universal Studios. But is the Paramount Studios tour as good as the Warner Bros. one? I know there different movies and shows from Paramount but is it as good of a tour?

I haven’t taken the tour but I used to work on the Paramount lot. As far as interesting visuals go, the New York streets backlot is very nice, but that is about the only exterior sets and there is nothing on those exterior sets that stands out like the Back to the Future sets at Universal. The rest of the lot is primarily office buildings and soundstages. IMO it is not as interesting visually as some of the other lots around town.

If you are a film buff, Paramount has a long iconic history so it could be of interest if you enjoy seeing where they filmed some of the great films and TV shows. Parts of the studio used to be RKO and Desilu. Some of the things shot on the lot include Citizen Kane, Sunset Blvd, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Graduate, Happy Days, Cheers, Fraiser, Star Trek, Brady Bunch etc etc. I’m not sure if it is still there, but they used to have their best picture Oscars in a display case.

Hopefully that helps. Very impressive list of movies and TV shows but not much remains to look at from them. The foley stages and prop house are always fun to see and I imagine the tour includes those.

Walt Disney1955

I haven’t taken the tour but I used to work on the Paramount lot. As far as interesting visuals go, the New York streets backlot is very nice, but that is about the only exterior sets and there is nothing on those exterior sets that stands out like the Back to the Future sets at Universal. The rest of the lot is primarily office buildings and soundstages. IMO it is not as interesting visually as some of the other lots around town.

If you are a film buff, Paramount has a long iconic history so it could be of interest if you enjoy seeing where they filmed some of the great films and TV shows. Parts of the studio used to be RKO and Desilu. Some of the things shot on the lot include Citizen Kane, Sunset Blvd, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Graduate, Happy Days, Cheers, Fraiser, Star Trek, Brady Bunch etc etc. I’m not sure if it is still there, but they used to have their best picture Oscars in a display case.

Hopefully that helps. Very impressive list of movies and TV shows but not much remains to look at from them. The foley stages and prop house are always fun to see and I imagine the tour includes those.

Yes, that does help a lot. And yeah I would love seeing things like that. Warner Brothers showed us stuff like that. Maybe not everyone would think it is interesting to see the house at the beginning credits of "Growing Pains" but I did (it's the house where they are standing at the front of it and then all go inside one by one). Or where they filmed Rebel Without a Cause. Yeah, I enjoy that and if Paramount has stuff like that, even better.

mishel635

Thank you SO much for this thread!!! Just found out I'm going to a conference in January for three days and it's at Disneyland Hotel!!!

My hubby's coming along for our first big trip without our 4 and 6 year old kiddos. Neither of us have ever been to California and we have always wanted to go!
We are going to have three evenings (after 5pm) and one full day to explore. We've decided we aren't going to do any of the Disneyland Parks since we plan on taking our kids there in few years. My number one thing I've always wanted to do is drive up the coast so we are using our full day to do that. I was thinking Malibu to Lompoc and back might be nice with a stop for dinner in Santa Barbara. Do you think that's too much for one day or can we go farther? Ideally we would leave Anaheim around 8:30 am and get back around 10:00 or 11:00 pm.

Thanks again! I look forward to using this thread for our trip planning!

Californian Elitist

Thank you SO much for this thread!!! Just found out I'm going to a conference in January for three days and it's at Disneyland Hotel!!!

My hubby's coming along for our first big trip without our 4 and 6 year old kiddos. Neither of us have ever been to California and we have always wanted to go!
We are going to have three evenings (after 5pm) and one full day to explore. We've decided we aren't going to do any of the Disneyland Parks since we plan on taking our kids there in few years. My number one thing I've always wanted to do is drive up the coast so we are using our full day to do that. I was thinking Malibu to Lompoc and back might be nice with a stop for dinner in Santa Barbara. Do you think that's too much for one day or can we go farther? Ideally we would leave Anaheim around 8:30 am and get back around 10:00 or 11:00 pm.

You only have one day? If that's the case, you should definitely get up and leave early.

GiveMeTheMusic

Is your one day a week day or a weekend day? If it's a weekday, 8:30am is WAY too late. You'd need to be on the road by 5, 5:30am at the latest and you'll still hit traffic.

mishel635

You only have one day? If that's the case, you should definitely get up and leave early.

Is your one day a week day or a weekend day? If it's a weekday, 8:30am is WAY too late. You'd need to be on the road by 5, 5:30am at the latest and you'll still hit traffic.

Good to know! It's a Sunday and the first day after we arrive on Saturday flying from Pittsburgh so I thought we would sleep in a bit, grab breakfast at Steakhouse 55 and then head out. But if we should leave earlier, maybe we will just head right out and then grab a quick breakfast somewhere on the way or bring something with us.
Thanks for the advice! Anyone have any ideas on how far we can reasonably go in that time frame?
Thanks so much!

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
How far/long is the drive on 1 from Anaheim to San Francisco? We're debating on driving up to the Disney Family Museum

Travel Junkie

How far/long is the drive on 1 from Anaheim to San Francisco? We're debating on driving up to the Disney Family Museum

Going up the 5 is the quickest at around 6 -7 hours depending on traffic. There is not much to look at. Going up the 1 is more like 9 hours if you don’t stop and you’ll want to stop. If you choose to go up the 1 I highly recommend taking your time and staying overnight in a place like Morro Bay. Then you can stop along the way and enjoy it.

Places the stop and site see along the 101 and 1 include Santa Barbara, Solvang, Morro Bay, Cambria, Hearst Castle (highly recommended taking a tour) Monterey, Santa Cruz and more. The central coast of California is amazing and a little bit of a secret to people outside California.

You honestly would be doing yourself a disservice if you went up the 1 in a hurry. If you have the time it is worth it, but if there is no time, go up the 5 or better yet take a flight. They are cheap and fast. Flights from John Wayne airport to the Bay area are cheap and frequent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom