Epcot's Odyssey Restaurant - Why'd it Close?

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
I remember eating in the Odyssey just once a VERY long time ago. Why did they close it down? It's still in a good location and could serve a good purpose as another dining option again at the park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yep. It seemed to take the same fate as the Tomorrowland Terrace at MK. Odyssey became an event space.

laynalee07

I think the main reason was it didn't really have a theme... There are sooo many eateries near it that have excellent theming, that it kind of got pushed to the wayside.
I do miss interacting with the characters there when I was a wee little thing though. :)

EricJ

It was out of the way and didn't draw that many people.

It was so secluded from the main FW->WS concourse, and only approachable by a walkway, you barely even knew it was there. Also it didn't have a "theme", like the Seas or Land or international restaurants did, and its biggest gimmick was that it was the only place to find character meals. (Since Old-Skool Epcot didn't allow Disney references.)
That also changed.

HouCuseChickie

I know some feel it's secluded, but it certainly stuck out to us as kids. For as many times as we went, we never got to go in there. The building looked very cool to us and stood out enough that it's positioning wasn't really an issue.

durangojim

Does anyone remember the flamingos that used to be over there? I think they moved them to AK, but I always thought it was cool to watch all of them standing around near WS lagoon.

RonAnnArbor

Quite frankly, it was a stopgap restaurant between the front of the park and World Showcase, and was never intended to be a permanent restaurant -- its too small to really make it worthwhile financially, and they use it almost year-round now for special events, rentals, and administrative purposes. For a while, it was used as an employee cafeteria.

Cmdr_Crimson

It was open during the World Cup was going on...They were selling snacks but, not quick service meals and a chance to sit and watch the game.......But, me I could care less about that..

Mrs.Toad

Never went, and could kick myself now for not trying it once.

But always the same. I continually passed it because we had ressies for Les Chefs, or San Angel, or somewhere in a pavilion.

Scooter

I remember eating there a few times and it was always busy and we only go in the off seasons. I thought the location was perfect for those of us who prefer fast food places and need to take a quick break between Future World and World Showcase. The menu was pretty limited ie Burgers, fries and chicken strips but sometimes thats all you want or need to satisfy your hunger.

Tink28

Went there for a event lunch back in 2000 during the Flower and Garden festival, remember my Mum, Aunt and I were given a rose each and had our photos taken

stevehousse

I remember eating there when I was a kid! The space costumes were my favorite!!! Wish they would bring those costumes back for the character spot seeing as how it's in future world!

epcot2004

Does anyone remember the flamingos that used to be over there? I think they moved them to AK, but I always thought it was cool to watch all of them standing around near WS lagoon.

Sure do. Has been a long time since they were there. We still look to see if they have returned on every trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom