First Trip Ever with 3 Small Kids - Lots of Questions!

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Hey everyone - my wife and I are planning on taking our first trip ever with our 3 kids in November 2015. They will be 5, 3, and 1. I've been doing research like crazy, but I'm still waffling on a few things. Sorry that this is so loaded...definitely a rookie here!

- We are set to go the week after Thanksgiving, which I hear isn't too bad crowd-wise. Any thoughts?

- We are staying (at least right now) at the Art of Animation resort in a Little Mermaid room. I thought the kids would go bananas for all the stuff in AoA, but it also seems like some of the major discounts (Fall, Free Dining, etc) that I was told I could theoretically add later won't work for this room. We've considered staying across the way at Pop Century - is it worth changing to Pop in order to (hopefully) snag one of those discounts?

- Disney tried HARD to talk me into the Memory Maker on the phone, but I wasn't sure about the value...ideas?

- Any other tips for going with small kids?!?

stevehousse

Hey everyone - my wife and I are planning on taking our first trip ever with our 3 kids in November 2015. They will be 5, 3, and 1. I've been doing research like crazy, but I'm still waffling on a few things. Sorry that this is so loaded...definitely a rookie here!

- We are set to go the week after Thanksgiving, which I hear isn't too bad crowd-wise. Any thoughts?

- We are staying (at least right now) at the Art of Animation resort in a Little Mermaid room. I thought the kids would go bananas for all the stuff in AoA, but it also seems like some of the major discounts (Fall, Free Dining, etc) that I was told I could theoretically add later won't work for this room. We've considered staying across the way at Pop Century - is it worth changing to Pop in order to (hopefully) snag one of those discounts?

- Disney tried HARD to talk me into the Memory Maker on the phone, but I wasn't sure about the value...ideas?

1. Crowds should be good the first week of Dec. there is usually the Pop Warner thing going on but that shouldn't relate to heavy crowds.

2. The little mermaid rooms have not ever been included in any promotion as of yet, it's always been excluded so if you do want to switch to a different resort it would be worth it if the discount is important to you.

3. Memory maker is up to you. Most people have success with it, however it is all up to you an how many pictures you plan on taking. Making sure you stop for photos is the most important part.

4. Tips for small kids, there are many our there! My kids are the same age as yours and we always have a blast! Frequent stops for the bathroom and plenty of water! Also bring snacks for te kids as well. Stop over at Tom Sawyers island is always fun. Have your kid watch rides on YouTube to get a feel for what they might or might not like! Utilize baby swap for the height required rides is a must!

Have fun planning!

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Thanks. That's a good question - it seems like the free dining has more potential savings if my wife and I both get it for the week also. Either way, do I have to switch resorts? It's confusing that AoA Mermaid rooms are excluded, but Pop Century rooms are eligible...

On the photos - we don't mind taking our own photos, though we don't have a great camera. Are the ride shots any good?

NCRedskins

Original Poster
1. Crowds should be good the first week of Dec. there is usually the Pop Warner thing going on but that shouldn't relate to heavy crowds.

2. The little mermaid rooms have not ever been included in any promotion as of yet, it's always been excluded so if you do want to switch to a different resort it would be worth it if the discount is important to you.

3. Memory maker is up to you. Most people have success with it, however it is all up to you an how many pictures you plan on taking. Making sure you stop for photos is the most important part.

4. Tips for small kids, there are many our there! My kids are the same age as yours and we always have a blast! Frequent stops for the bathroom and plenty of water! Also bring snacks for te kids as well. Stop over at Tom Sawyers island is always fun. Have your kid watch rides on YouTube to get a feel for what they might or might not like! Utilize baby swap for the height required rides is a must!

Have fun planning!

Glad to hear the consensus on the crowds. Have you stayed at Pop or AoA? I'm pretty into the idea of the discount, but I feel like it's at the expense of the kids given that it looks "less fun" at Pop due to the lack of Disney characters in the pools and stuff. Silly, I know...

stevehousse

Pop Century is a different hotel and you would end up getting the quick service dining plan. You are always able to upgrade to the regular dining plan and it doesn't cost too much. However, with that said, if you are looking for a free dining plan, all 4 of you (1 year old excluded) would get the dining plan. It probably wouldn't cost any more to stay at a moderate and get the regular dining plan without having to upgrade.

NCRedskins

Original Poster
In theory we are good with the quick service dining plan (assuming it was free), though I guess I don't know what we'd be missing out on.

thomas998

Know upfront that the quality of the photos you get will vary dramatically from person to person. We often do it as a backup in case we lose our camera or memory dies before we can up load... and it saved us on one trip... But we have had photos where they cut off the tops of peoples heads, arms are often cut off as well as feet... Call me crazy but I prefer to have the whole person and if I want to crop it smaller I can, but I can't recreate the top of someone's head.... Also you will get horizons that are sometimes slanted instead of straight... In other words don't expect the photos to look like a pro took them they tend to look more like what you would get if you asked a random person on the street to shoot your photo for you.

Biggest tip for trips with kids is to bring your own stroller or if you don't want to travel with one to buy one at a local target or walmart, don't rent the ones from the park they are very expensive and for what you would pay for renting one for a week you can easily buy one elsewhere cheaper and with more comfort for the kid inside it.

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Call me crazy but I prefer to have the whole person and if I want to crop it smaller I can, but I can't recreate the top of someone's head....

You can't recreate the top of someone's head? Photoshop novice!

In all seriousness thanks for the tips. I think we are going to go for it with our own camera gear and just see what happens.

DisneyMomD

Some of my thoughts:

1. You are likely going to be cramped in the Little Mermaid room. It is nice, but was way small for my family of 4 with little ones (especially a crazy, 4 year old boy). It might be worth it to look at a Suite, which might be eligible for discounts.

2. We did the Memory Maker this year and loved it. We didn't get as many pictures as we wanted (it's hard to stop and get a 4 year old to pose, again...). But, I didn't have to keep track of my camera, we could walk right up to someone and have pictures taken. And, it was definitely worth it for the characters. We went the first time and did our own pictures, some of them were rough and we missed good moments. But, this year, we got a lot of really fantastic posed and candid character shots. My guess is that your hands will be full with your little ones, the Memory Maker might make pictures less of a hassle.

3. My biggest tip with little ones is to go back to the hotel everyday for several hours for nap time. Don't try to tough it out for the day. We got to the parks at Rope drop everyday, and had several hours of riding with very little lines, and by the time lunch came around, we were ready to eat and head back for a nap. it made for a good afternoon/evening, and we could stay a little later because they had rested.

Good luck, it's magical with little ones.

Spencerrr

Keep in mind the meal plans are limited and may already be sold out for pop I know I'm going the last week of October and the last 3 years have stayed their with the promotion and this year could not.

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Keep in mind the meal plans are limited and may already be sold out for pop I know I'm going the last week of October and the last 3 years have stayed their with the promotion and this year could not.
Yeah, we might
Some of my thoughts:

1. You are likely going to be cramped in the Little Mermaid room. It is nice, but was way small for my family of 4 with little ones (especially a crazy, 4 year old boy). It might be worth it to look at a Suite, which might be eligible for discounts.

2. We did the Memory Maker this year and loved it. We didn't get as many pictures as we wanted (it's hard to stop and get a 4 year old to pose, again...). But, I didn't have to keep track of my camera, we could walk right up to someone and have pictures taken. And, it was definitely worth it for the characters. We went the first time and did our own pictures, some of them were rough and we missed good moments. But, this year, we got a lot of really fantastic posed and candid character shots. My guess is that your hands will be full with your little ones, the Memory Maker might make pictures less of a hassle.

3. My biggest tip with little ones is to go back to the hotel everyday for several hours for nap time. Don't try to tough it out for the day. We got to the parks at Rope drop everyday, and had several hours of riding with very little lines, and by the time lunch came around, we were ready to eat and head back for a nap. it made for a good afternoon/evening, and we could stay a little later because they had rested.

Good luck, it's magical with little ones.

Great tip on nap time - we were trying to figure out how to coordinate all of that. I'm assuming the shuttles run early enough to get there for rope drop, or did you drive?

NCRedskins

Original Poster

Yeah, we may end up sticking with what we have - it looks like the week we are going may not even be eligible for free dining anyway.

DisneyJunkie

I'll try and help and take your questions one by one:

1. I've always heard that the best time to go is the week after Labor and up UNTIL the week of Thanksgiving. But I've never gone at that time, we've always preferred the 3rd or 4th week of September.

2. Depending on what kind of discounts you're referring to, the discounts tell you which resorts would be applicable for them and during what time period you could book your stay and get them.

3. Not familiar with the Memory Maker.

4. With small kids as young as yours, I'd say you're probably likely to miss a lot of the best attractions simply because they won't be big enough to ride, so prepare yourself to do a lot of the very local-carnival, kiddy-type stuff. And, I'd highly recommend meal-sharing between them at the quick service places, you'll definitely save yourself some bucks that way.

JillC LI

Planning your first family trip to WDW can be rather daunting. I recommend that you pick up the Unauthorized Guide to Disney World book for tips on everything from resorts to dining to park attractions to touring plans to FastPasses. The way to maximize enjoyment of a Disney trip is to put a bit of planning into it rather than to wing it.

Regarding your specific questions, have you checked mousesavers.com for historical dates of free dining? It might give you an idea whether it will be offered that week. Also, based on one of your comments above, it sounds like you are under the impression that some of you can get free dining but not others. It doesn't work like that - it is an all or nothing proposition for everyone staying in the room. I agree with what another poster said about staying in a moderate resort if you are trying for free dining. We ALWAYS get the regular dining plan (free or not), and we've found that the price difference is nearly inconsequential to upgrade from the free quick service plan at a Value resort or to get the free regular plan at a Moderate resort. You asked what you would be missing out on with the quick service plan, and the answer is sit-down meals. You could, of course, pay for them out of pocket, but if you plan to do a bunch or character meals or buffets with the kids, those restaurants are a pretty penny. Much better to have the regular dining plan for those. If you DO get the regular dining plan, make sure you book your restaurant choices at the 180 mark.

As for Memory Maker, we have always passed on the photo plan. The Disney photographers are happy to take a photo with your own camera that comes out just as good. Unless you want a bunch of Magic photos (i.e., photos which when developed have a character magically appear somewhere in them), then I think you are fine with your own camera. But I know others strongly disagree so it's a personal choice.

Figaro928

Thanks. That's a good question - it seems like the free dining has more potential savings if my wife and I both get it for the week also. Either way, do I have to switch resorts? It's confusing that AoA Mermaid rooms are excluded, but Pop Century rooms are eligible...

On the photos - we don't mind taking our own photos, though we don't have a great camera. Are the ride shots any good?
I believe the Mermaid rooms are often excluded because they are more popular. If you choose Pop, Art of Animation is in walking distance - maybe a fifteen minute walk from the furthest points of each. The Mermaid section has a cutesy pool that you could technically use. That might just be enough for your kids' Ariel quota.

The ride shots are hit and miss. Sometimes you get amazing shots, other times another guest's hands up are blocking your families faces. Also take into account which rides have the photo option. Most are thrill rides - will your kids be up for thrill rides? When we had gone when my kids were 3 & 1 we utilized only one ride photo - Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. That made it not worth it to us. For the money you'd pay for the memory maker, invest in a decent camera. Any cast member taking memory maker shots will always take pictures with your camera

Figaro928

In theory we are good with the quick service dining plan (assuming it was free), though I guess I don't know what we'd be missing out on.

You'd be missing out - or at most, paying out of pocket - for table service meals. Character meals are a huge draw for families with young kids. Rather than having to wait in line for a favorite character, they come to you while you wait! Character meals are a must for my family. On our upcoming trip we have four booked. At most, the food is average and the price is steep, BUT worth getting the basic dinning plan just for the character interaction. There are many different character meals with a wide variety of characters to chose from.

If you think the characters are going to be a big draw for your kids, I would highly recommend getting the Basic Dining Plan.

Also, table services in general are just a nice way for mom and dad to sit and "relax:rolleyes:" while still being in the Disney ambience.

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Wow, this is a lot of information. It sounds like we are good timing-wise right after Thanksgiving, and I've got a lot to consider for the photo package.

I would like to take advantage of the free dining plan if possible, and it sounds like the best value is to do that moderate resort with the regular dining. How do the moderate resorts compare price-wise? What's a good one?

Also, have any of y'all gone with kids under 5? It looks like my 5 and 3 year olds will be able to ride most everything we care about height-wise, and we just assumed that my son (18 months at the time) would ride what we can and we would do rider swap when possible. Are we crazy going with kids so young?

thomas998

3. My biggest tip with little ones is to go back to the hotel everyday for several hours for nap time. Don't try to tough it out for the day. We got to the parks at Rope drop everyday, and had several hours of riding with very little lines, and by the time lunch came around, we were ready to eat and head back for a nap. it made for a good afternoon/evening, and we could stay a little later because they had rested...

Along those lines, what I missed is whether you will have a car of your own or will be using Disney transportation... I would strongly encourage you to rent a car and use it... even better get a AAA parking pass and use that too so that you can park closer to the parks. Using Disney transportation will be a pain in the backside if you plan on taking your little ones back for naps on a regular basis, as they are not going to be as quick, will at certain time have long lines and will also sometimes be standing room only... none of which is conducive to a quiet kid when they are tired and cranky.

NCRedskins

Original Poster
Along those lines, what I missed is whether you will have a car of your own or will be using Disney transportation... I would strongly encourage you to rent a car and use it... even better get a AAA parking pass and use that too so that you can park closer to the parks. Using Disney transportation will be a pain in the backside if you plan on taking your little ones back for naps on a regular basis, as they are not going to be as quick, will at certain time have long lines and will also sometimes be standing room only... none of which is conducive to a quiet kid when they are tired and cranky.

We are driving down from NC (at least thats the plan right now), so we will have a car. I understand there is free parking if you stay at Disney - how bad is the traffic getting in?

thomas998

Wow, this is a lot of information. It sounds like we are good timing-wise right after Thanksgiving, and I've got a lot to consider for the photo package.

I would like to take advantage of the free dining plan if possible, and it sounds like the best value is to do that moderate resort with the regular dining. How do the moderate resorts compare price-wise? What's a good one?

Also, have any of y'all gone with kids under 5? It looks like my 5 and 3 year olds will be able to ride most everything we care about height-wise, and we just assumed that my son (18 months at the time) would ride what we can and we would do rider swap when possible. Are we crazy going with kids so young?

Not sure if it is still available price wise, but we booked a cabin which is considered a moderate for around 250/night... that is going to be the most you would expect to pay because the cabins although moderate tend to be a bit higher than the regular hotel moderates... However if you want more space, along with a full kitchen (normal hotel rooms wont have fridges only microwaves) the cabins are something to consider... they also give you the advantage of allowing you to cook your own meals which can also save money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom