Save Off kilter

cw1982

From what my son has told me it is a two fold issue and of course the dollars rule. The release is also an opportunity to do what DL is doing and trying to limit the impact of locals within the parks. Curtailing the large following Kilter has with the locals similar also to the issue once at the FQ resort with Scat's being clogged with locals vs for guests at the resort. If Disney has a cult-ish following congesting an area of a park or resort by the same AP guests loitering for long periods repeatedly and the vacationing guests on a whole will enjoy a good band that isn't Kilter that it is cheaper Disney is going to go for that and fix two issues, cost and groupies with one change in entertainment.

Makes sense. In terms of cost, though, I still think it's clear that the new acts will be cheaper.

Was Off Kilter's fan base really causing that big of a problem, though? What about the other acts being cut? I never noticed huge crowds that caused congestion for any of them when I was there a few months ago, but it could be that I wasn't really looking for it or I wasn't in the right place at the right time.

JanetMC

850 members strong in 50 hours!!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/364817680340041?ref=bookmark

Come join our group as we overflow disney with emails in support of this great act!!!
Seriously doubt that WDW's Entertainment Dept. will change their plans to replace the beloved Celtic rock band "Off Kilter"with a lumberjack act, to my dismay and sadness, but I just wanted to say that for many many years now, one of my absolute "must dos" each visit to Epcot has been to attend the performances of that band. I was just there last week and got the bad news. It's doubly disapointing as; I had invited a friend from Mississippi to go with me to WDW in Dec. and was eager for her to see and hear them for her first time. I never tired of them and appreciated how they were so "engaging" of the audience; even getting the little ones to come forth and dance, sing along and have fun. WDW admen seem to be making alot of changes that I don't think are in the guests best interest. It's all about how little they can give for the most cost. It has alot of WDW longtime fans/supporters "rethinking" vacation choices.
Maybe the Off Kilter band members are ready to hang it up? Ever consider that?
To answer your question: I was just there and spoke with individual members of the band,( who I have come to know ) about the "let go" and they assured me that they were surprized about the decision and that it was NOT their desire to leave Epcot. Infact; they are quite upset and unhappy about being replaced; having a huge fan base for all these many years they've been there !!!

Bluewaves

Well like I said on Theme Park Reviews Facebook before they banned me, everything is about being as cheap as possible and getting as much as possible from as little as possible, entertainment cuts, frozen overlay, etc.. it just keeps on coming if its outside the Magic Kingdom

copcarguyp71

They have announced it...not a rumor and not a supposition. I know it is hard to swallow but suck it up and deal with it because if WDW wanted your input they would have focus groups. Harsh? Yes. But there it is.

BigRedDad

The release is also an opportunity to do what DL is doing and trying to limit the impact of locals within the parks.
This is one of the reasons Pleasure Island shutdown. The wrong locals took the place over inside and outside. Crime skyrocketed and visitors stopped going. When you are forced to put Police/Sheriff stands in the parking lots because of it, there is a problem.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Maybe Off Kilter will play multiple venues, maybe they will tour, maybe some of us will be lucky ebough to have them play in areas near our homes where ever anyone of us might live. There a good band and perfect for big crown volume venues and festivals. A few of us could be in for an awesome surprise and stumble upon an Off Kilter concert. I on the other hand am looseing interest in Disney World for some odd reason so seeing them elsewhere would be totally awesome.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
This is one of the reasons Pleasure Island shutdown. The wrong locals took the place over inside and outside. Crime skyrocketed and visitors stopped going. When you are forced to put Police/Sheriff stands in the parking lots because of it, there is a problem.

Yep, the repercussions of PI not being a gated attraction. I keep this in the back of my mind as they develop a the new Disney Springs. If you notice they have put up guard stands in the Water Park parking lots too. Off property, not far from there is a pretty rough area. My DS did a college program back in 2007 and that is the off property area where one of the CP housing developments is at, Vista, the oldest that is gated with a security guard. Right out of the compound is a few fast food places and a Walgreens. There were regular armed robberies in that immediate neighborhood. As a Mom it scared the crud out of me when they ventured out of the compound into the neighborhood. Disney built the balance of CP housing compounds in a completely different area. So I am not surprised that PI and DTD crime had risen over the years, but I am surprised that Disney has decided to put so much money into a night district in that area and put in parking garages. Time will tell if they can keep Springs a secure area for visitors. Hope so.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I wonder what group Off Kilter replaced and was everyone upset at that time. I have seen Off Kilter many times over the years, but the last few times I went it seemed like the crowd was less and the act was dated a bit. I remember when Disney replaced the act at China about two years ago. I saw the new act and like it even more. So I am a little sad that Off Kilter is being let go, but look forward to seeing something new next visit. Some thing new is not always something bad.

JanetMC

With all due respect "BigRedDad", I don't think you can compare Pleasure Island with Epcot's World Showcase. Pleasure Island catered to those that frequent dance clubs, bars, comedy clubs, the younger patrian. And, I am NOT a local, and drive 11 hours to get to WDW a few times each year. My personal experience is that there are always a huge draw of guests that stop by to hear/see the Canadian Celtic Rock Band "Off Kilter". They are made up of varied guests : some there for the first time, some back for a rare visit, some that live far away but have annual passes, some that live in a nearby area of Florida and frequent the WDW parks. I found that they were of all different ages : parents with children, younger singles, those in their mid-life and even elderly.I don't think that the locals in this venue can be categorized as a bad segment of the Orlando area population; or as you put it, "the wrong locals".I also have not noticed visitors (WDW guests) stopping going to Epcot and am totally unaware of any crime in Epcot. I agree that Pleasure Island had it's problems, but just don't see that any comparison can be made to create a need to change a musical genrue in a family oriented theme park. : )

FettFan

Off Kilter doesn't really need "saving". They'll keep performing and releasing music....they just won't be associated with Disney anymore.

JanetMC

Off Kilter doesn't really need "saving". They'll keep performing and releasing music....they just won't be associated with Disney anymore.

The point is that some of us are not locals and when we go to the Orlando area we have to schedule our time for only WDW. It is sad or dissapointing to many of us that we will no longer be able to enjoy "Off Kilter" when at Epcot. New changes, replacing bands, etc. might be a good thing, but it could just as easily be a bad thing. As my own personal example: I do not like the UK British rock band as much as I did "The Beatle" honor band. I go to WDW on an average of 4 or 5 times a year; driving 10 1/2 hours and I, unlike you, have not noticed "Off Kilter's" crowds decreasing at all, but I can only speak for the times I'm there. I guess I will just have to keep informed as to where the "Off Kilter" band is booked and on the times that I am not entertaining grandchildren at WDW, I will be in attendance at their venue.

JanetMC

I wonder what group Off Kilter replaced and was everyone upset at that time. I have seen Off Kilter many times over the years, but the last few times I went it seemed like the crowd was less and the act was dated a bit. I remember when Disney replaced the act at China about two years ago. I saw the new act and like it even more. So I am a little sad that Off Kilter is being let go, but look forward to seeing something new next visit. Some thing new is not always something bad.

DVCOwner, please read my posted comment under "FettFan".....it was intended as a reply to your comment....posted under my name JanetMC under FettFan's comment above, in error.

JanetMC

Well like I said on Theme Park Reviews Facebook before they banned me, everything is about being as cheap as possible and getting as much as possible from as little as possible, entertainment cuts, frozen overlay, etc.. it just keeps on coming if its outside the Magic Kingdom

You were banned ....really ??? Could it be that some can't take the truth ? I thought that was the purpose of open forums, the freedom to state our views, thoughts opinions !! Just letting you know that I appreciate your comment. : )

JanetMC

Maybe Off Kilter will play multiple venues, maybe they will tour, maybe some of us will be lucky ebough to have them play in areas near our homes where ever anyone of us might live. There a good band and perfect for big crown volume venues and festivals. A few of us could be in for an awesome surprise and stumble upon an Off Kilter concert. I on the other hand am looseing interest in Disney World for some odd reason so seeing them elsewhere would be totally awesome.

"Lands of Wonder", If they can no longer be at Epcot, I too, hope they play alot of different gigs in the area and that I can take them in whenever I'm in Florida. I like them enough to skip a day/night at WDW inorder to hear them somewhere else.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Unfortunately there arent enough of us Off Kilter fans complaining or able to make an impact to make a difference to Disney.

There's not enough fans for ANY Disney World attraction to be stopped from closing down except for the huge E-ticket thrill rides.

If you're expecting a huge crowd to try and save a dark ride, a small entertainment group, or some other small form.... It would probably end up being at Disneyland. :p (jk)

FettFan

The point is that some of us are not locals and when we go to the Orlando area we have to schedule our time for only WDW. It is sad or dissapointing to many of us that we will no longer be able to enjoy "Off Kilter" when at Epcot.

Check the stats; I'm not a local myself. :p

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Wait... Disney World loves profit, this new show as fun as it might be won't make any money, Off Kilter was a good way to sell merchandise and their albums sold, I'm surprised they didn't market off then any more then they did. I hope they tour and get some good gigs. I would love to see a full Off Kilter Concert. I think they could so so much better if they hit it right instead of being trapped on the same stage

Bluewaves

You were banned ....really ??? Could it be that some can't take the truth ? I thought that was the purpose of open forums, the freedom to state our views, thoughts opinions !! Just letting you know that I appreciate your comment. : )

Thanks! Yep went back to their page and wasn't able to comment anymore, their loss, lately they seem to be on the payroll of Disney, Seaworld, and Universal anyways, really can't call yourself a review site if all they do is tow the company line of whom you are reviewing. It was annoying how pro Seaworld they have been even when people without sensationalism want to have a serious discussion about their practices.

There is a core group of Disney fans that I count myself as part of who believe that the parks can be even better than they are and are tired of the continuing dumbing down of attractions and experiences. The beauty of Epcot was always the unique things it offered, Journey into Imagination, Maelstrom , etc... and the continued destruction of that and the complete loss of focus on doing anything good in Future World really destroys a place that is special and unique and is truly disappointing.

I think we should all keep in mind that the last thing added that was a plus attraction was Soarin' and that was almost a decade ago. In the time that has past we have had no new additional attraction and all we get is cheap overlays of existing things, There is tons of room in Epcot, give us more, don't destroy what was there or get rid of things for less and cheaper things.

DisneyDaver

When enough folks start choosing Universal Orlando over WDW (or not going to Orlando at all), the cheapness of WDW will end. If the crowds keep flocking, then WDW has no incentive to spend.

In the past I always spent the majority of my Orlando vacation days at WDW, but this year I will be spending 4 days at Universal Orlando and 1 at WDW (only going to MK). When enough others do the same, change at WDW will follow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom