Using MBs at Fine Dining Restaurants

dreynolds1982

Original Poster
If this is answered elsewhere I apologize, but how do the magic bands work at fine dining restaurants? I know at QS places they have the scanner there for you, but obviously at the nicer spots they wouldn't have these sitting around. Also, how do you apply tips?

Was just curious, thanks!

sophie_the_pooh

I've been at a couple of TS restaurants last April and they had the magicband scanner on the regular credit card machine they bring to the table. You could add tips like you would do with a credit card, very easy to do.

Tom

Beta Return
As others have said, the server will bring a scanner to the table at the end of the meal to scan your band. If you're on a Dining Plan, they will also scan it before the meal to see which plan you're on (in case you're a guest who doesn't quite understand what you get with the DDP).

However, if you're using a DDP (perhaps also with CC purchase, I'm not sure), you will have to write your tip on the receipt and give it back to the server for them to finalize the transaction. Whether I tip well (which is most cases), or low, I have an aversion to the server seeing the tip before I leave. So after we discovered this "glitch" in March, we planned ahead and took cash on our August trip. I just wrote CASH on the tip line each time, and left cash in the final check folder.

Just a heads up.

dreynolds1982

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info everyone! We aren't using the DDP so sounds like it should be pretty straight forward. I mean I assumed there was a way to use the MBs at any restaurant, just was curious how it was done. Kind of funny to think about dressing up for a nice dinner at Jiko or California Grill but sporting the bright green MB :D

docdebbi

As others have said, the server will bring a scanner to the table at the end of the meal to scan your band. If you're on a Dining Plan, they will also scan it before the meal to see which plan you're on (in case you're a guest who doesn't quite understand what you get with the DDP).

However, if you're using a DDP (perhaps also with CC purchase, I'm not sure), you will have to write your tip on the receipt and give it back to the server for them to finalize the transaction. Whether I tip well (which is most cases), or low, I have an aversion to the server seeing the tip before I leave. So after we discovered this "glitch" in March, we planned ahead and took cash on our August trip. I just wrote CASH on the tip line each time, and left cash in the final check folder.

Just a heads up.

I couldn't agree with you more. I hate having the server standing there watching me write his tip in. very uncomfortable. and i am also a good tipper, but need time some time to figure out the amount while he stands there staring at me.

We use the TiW card, so 18% is added, but I always go 20% and round up, and for really good service, add some more, then subtract this from what was already added to the bill. this is tough to calculate, and even tougher when I've had some wine!!!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom