More Ride Changes

Rinx

Original Poster
Just got back from 12 days at WDW and while this is by no means a trip report, I would like to point out two things that really irked me. Well, they are actually the same thing on two different attractions. I don't know when they implemented this between now and last year, but Disney continues to dumb down their attractions, most recently Space Mountain and Primeval Whirl.

The very last drop in Space Mountain, just before the lengthy spin-around, is a bitter brake! You break so much that inertia throws your stomach into the lap bar then the rocket almost stops before you just trickle down the hill. That hill right there used to be the most sensational (sensory-wise) part of the whole ride!

In Primeval Whirl, it's a whip-type rollercoaster like at boardwalks and carnivals, and it used to be so but not anymore! Again, they brake you before going into the whips! WHY!?!? What's the point then? There's no whip action going that slow! Why are they doing this????

For both PW and SM, I know the brake systems were always at those areas to begin with but only used in emergency. Why all of a sudden have they been implemented for everyday use to dull these down?

wdwfan4ver

Just got back from 12 days at WDW and while this is by no means a trip report, I would like to point out two things that really irked me. Well, they are actually the same thing on two different attractions. I don't know when they implemented this between now and last year, but Disney continues to dumb down their attractions, most recently Space Mountain and Primeval Whirl.

The very last drop in Space Mountain, just before the lengthy spin-around, is a bitter brake! You break so much that inertia throws your stomach into the lap bar then the rocket almost stops before you just trickle down the hill. That hill right there used to be the most sensational (sensory-wise) part of the whole ride!

In Primeval Whirl, it's a whip-type rollercoaster like at boardwalks and carnivals, and it used to be so but not anymore! Again, they brake you before going into the whips! WHY!?!? What's the point then? There's no whip action going that slow! Why are they doing this????

For both PW and SM, I know the brake systems were always at those areas to begin with but only used in emergency. Why all of a sudden have they been implemented for everyday use to dull these down?
I can't speak about Pimeval Whirl since I don't know, but I know why for Space Mountain.

I can tell you that September of 2013 Space Mountain added brakes to the ride. It is caused by Disney have a concern of the track.

When Space Mountain was given a refurbishment, Magic Kingdom VP Phil Holmes decided to cheapen the refurbishment along with TDO for that matter unlike the Disneyland land version of Space Mountain. That meant the WDW version of Space Mountain wasn't given a proper refurbishment as a way to save money.

OSUgirl77

I can't speak about Pimeval Whirl since I don't know, but I know why for Space Mountain.

I can tell you that September of 2013 Space Mountain added brakes to the ride. It is caused by Disney have a concern of the track.

When Space Mountain was given a refurbishment, Magic Kingdom VP Phil Holmes decided to cheapen the refurbishment along with TDO for that matter unlike the Disneyland land version of Space Mountain. That meant the WDW version of Space Mountain wasn't given a proper refurbishment as a way to save money.
I noticed the braking as well when I was there in April, but never knew that was the reason, not that I'm surprised. Just another reason I'm glad my next trip will be to Disneyland.

Rinx

Original Poster

Wow....that really just sounds like a Band-Aid job or a "just put duct tape on it" sort of thing. Pitiful but not the least bit surprised.

BigRedDad

SM is too dated. The jerkiness of the ride causes neck pain to me. They need to not only refurb it, but replace it with a hyper coaster. There is plenty of space in the building to still do it right.

Chef Mickey

Wow....that really just sounds like a Band-Aid job or a "just put duct tape on it" sort of thing. Pitiful but not the least bit surprised.
Band-Aids and quick fixes are the new normal at WDW. If it's deemed unimportant, it's typical just glossed over and fixed to meet safety requirements. Aesthetics and guest experience are about 20th on the list after budget, budget, budget....and budget.

OSUgirl77

Wow , that's so depressing about SM! It's my favorite ride and I haven't been since 2009 so I haven't experienced these new braking parts. It's a shame that they couldn't give it a proper refurb.
It's your favorite ride? I never would've guessed... ;)
Have you been to DL? It's always been better there anyway, highly recommend a trip if you haven't.

pumpkin7

Ah, I like SM, I just don't like how you can't see anything so during the ride all I can do is brace for impact incase anything hits me in the head.

hth1917

I love SM. I love the bumpy ride and the bobsled-style cars that let you sit low and close to the track. I wouldn't like for them to tinker around with it much. But those trim brakes really do take the thrill out of the final drop.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Could the Primevil Whirl incident have anything to do with the injury/death or whatever of a cast member trying to fix something on that ride a couple of years ago or so?

AndyS2992

SM is too dated. The jerkiness of the ride causes neck pain to me. They need to not only refurb it, but replace it with a hyper coaster. There is plenty of space in the building to still do it right.
Yeah. I would LOVE them to rip out Space Mountain entirely and put in Disneyland Paris's Space Mountain. For those unfamiliar, Space Mountain Paris can be compared to Rock N Rollercoaster, but it is twice as intense :hungry: Launched start, inversions, corkscrews, onboard music, special effect inside. Amazing.

Last edited:

ryan1

SM is still perfect the way it is, don't give them anymore ideas than they already have had.

It's dark because space is dark. It's bumpy because its an old style roller coaster, unlike E:E smooth new style. Since the refurb it feels like it is actually brighter and it lost a little bit of surprise since you can see the track more now.

Go ride Matterhorn and then tell me SM is too bumpy.

AndyS2992

SM is still perfect the way it is, don't give them anymore ideas than they already have had.

It's dark because space is dark. It's bumpy because its an old style roller coaster, unlike E:E smooth new style. Since the refurb it feels like it is actually brighter and it lost a little bit of surprise since you can see the track more now.

Go ride Matterhorn and then tell me SM is too bumpy.
It is far from perfect :arghh:

'It's bumpy because its an old style roller coaster? Well it isn't supposed to be, it wasn't designed to be neck crippling bumpy. That is an attribute it has got over time due to Disney's neglect. If Disney maintained the ride properly it would almost be as smooth as it was back in 1975. I know due to the style of coaster it will have some bumps and jerks but not as much as it has, it gets worse every year.

Goofyernmost

Personally I think that the jerks are more noticeable because they are so loud. Oops! That's another topic.

The head jerks (that's not the one's in charge, but, the ones you feel in your neck during the ride) are probably more noticeable because it's in the dark (almost complete) so your body cannot anticipate and flex the necessary muscle to prevent a drastic jolt. It is an older style coaster, but, it is still a tube type track that is used today on most of the coasters built. Things have worn out and perhaps are a little more "bumpy" then when new, but, I don't think it can be totally contributed to not being maintained properly. Think about how many times vehicles have gone over those tracks in the last 40 years. The one that I was most disappointed with is SSE. The type of track there can be easily smoothed out because you can actually see the track seams and it is just a matter of either readjusting the levels from section to section or even a weld ground down smooth at the seams would stop all that clunking. I'm thinking that to fix both SM and SSE properly would require a whole new track. I don't see that happening ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom